Fleets need help with activity

TrixxieTriss

Except for Star Forge (because of the amount of people who RP on the fleet during prime time), how are the other fleets on the servers during primetime and outside of it?

They seem pretty low to me and my guess is people spend more time in guild ships and strongholds. I know outside of primetime, the Imperial and Republic fleets on SF are nearly ghost towns. But during primetime, they are as full as ever with many RP people across 3-4 instances (I mean heaps, it’s nearly standing room only near the bars and stairs).

I’m not an RPer, but it’s good to see so many people around having fun. It makes the game feel “whole” and full.

It then feels really sad and empty when I visit the fleet outside of primetime. I think Bioware could add some more activities and incentives to visit or be on the fleet a little more. I know I’m guilty of sitting in my strong holds most of the time and I always log out in my SH. But some of that is because there is no one else on the fleet.

Over the weekend when I visited the rep and Imp fleets on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (Australian times), which would be Thursday, Friday and Saturday (US times), there were between 29-41 players and one fleet instance. Which is the lowest I’ve seen on Star Forge and is around the same as Harbinger was before the moves. I know a lot has to do with many people in APAC and western US not playing anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas on what Bioware could do or add?

Maybe they could open up the VIP area and add some things up there as nobody uses it and it mostly empty of anything to do.

Here’s hoping Bioware have some plans for the fleet in the future besides RP and the occasional quick visit.

People in guild ships count towards fleet numbers.

Many people avoid fleet with how toxic it is. They are either in SH's, or doing activities on other planets. Lets be honest since SH's and Odessan came out fleet is no longer the hub of activity it used to be. In the past it was used to form pugs for Operations, now people use created chat channels for that, so people are going about normal activities while looking for Operation groups.

On the *Other Forum a while back a topic about the class ships came up and soon included the fleets aswell; when people talked about Hanging out one member posted "People were supposed to be hanging out at Odessen, not the other places". At the time the base at Odessen was created I can understand the reasoning, but since then with the population drop there are nolonger enough to fill *both simultaneously. The fleets are Very sparse nowadays; I remember when using the GTN at "Jung-Ma" was Standing Room only (Looked like a Mosh Pit :) ). If they could host activities at the Station itself, people would go and hang around. Maybe a second floor for activities.

The only times I bother going to the fleet are to do the handful of quests that originate there (ie, the Gree event pickup or SoR prelude), go to the few vendors I can't access elsewhere or get heroics for my characters who can't hit Odessen yet. My strongholds and player ships have everything I need so there's no real reason to hang out there.

I appreciate that it would be nice if the fleet were more lively for those who would enjoy it, but I do think they'd need to address the toxicity to make it more palatable. One of the major reasons I turned off Gen Chat and other communication channels was because of how unpleasant it was on the fleet. IMHO it's a major reason people want to get in and out of there as fast as possible.

Since part of Hearts & Minds took place on fleet perhaps the devs are also trying to draw players back there, and having it be the starting or ending points for quests certainly accomplishes that. Perhaps some of the mini-games people have suggested, like sabacc or pazak would draw people who want to interact with others.

For me the major reason for not hanging out on fleet is because I have basically everything I need in a much more convenient setup in my stronghold. I can use all 3 holds, my item mod station, appearance mod station, shop the gtn, check the mail, and sell stuff all without having to so much as move my character.

The general level of idiocy in gen chat doesn't really bug me, personally. My stronghold just has everything I need right there rather than having to run all around a large area.

I think players tend to log on to their main strongholds such as in DK or coruscant. Maybe if fleet can have a personal stronghold, many players will have incentive to log into fleet more often when they relocated their main stronghold to fleet. These days we are going fleet only for trading purposes or getting weeklies quest or pvp quests etc.

Not a fan of the fleet, never have been. Too much toxic behavior for me so I just use my stronghold(s) except for the rare occasion I need to go to the fleet. Not sure there is anything they can do to get me to go more often. I did the mission for Hearts and Minds but quickly left after it. I have all the necessities I need in all my strongholds, GTN, banks, etc.

When I do rp it isn't on the fleet either.

Edited by casirabit

Here’s hoping Bioware have some plans for the fleet in the future besides RP and the occasional quick visit.

But... why? It appears as though you have some particular "thing" for the fleet, but as far as the overall context of the game is concerned, it makes no difference whether or not people are hanging around the Fleet.

You could just as easily say "Here’s hoping Bioware have some plans for Coruscant."

But... why? It appears as though you have some particular "thing" for the fleet, but as far as the overall context of the game is concerned, it makes no difference whether or not people are hanging around the Fleet.

You could just as easily say "Here’s hoping Bioware have some plans for Coruscant."

This.

No they don't.

People on guild ships count as a different fleet, than what's standing on actual fleet.

Same with Strongholds.

They count as on fleet, but in different instances, so say you have two fleet instances, the guild might be a 3rd, etc. So if people were to count all people in all of the instances, they'd be counted too. Just different instances

Everytime i log on the fleet on Darth malgus, it is always filled to teh brim with people running about. The it empire of Republic side. though more on empire ofc.

Though i confess i don't frequent it a hell of a lot. I too like to chill on my Tatooine Stronghold and then just travel to the planets i need to go to.

Edited by Nemmar

They count as on fleet, but in different instances, so say you have two fleet instances, the guild might be a 3rd, etc. So if people were to count all people in all of the instances, they'd be counted too. Just different instances

What happens when it just shows one fleet, but there are people on a Guild Ship as well as the fleet?

Edit:

I checked this last night. There is a seperate fleet instance for fleet guildships that doesn’t actually show up when you look at the map on the fleet.

So you might see 23 people on the fleet in the only instance. But see 60 in the instance if you are on a Guildship.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Everytime i log on the fleet on Darth malgus, it is always filled to teh brim with people running about. The it empire of Republic side. though more on empire ofc.

Though i confess i don't frequent it a hell of a lot. I too like to chill on my Tatooine Stronghold and then just travel to the planets i need to go to.

Yeah, it depends on the time of day. If you were to login outside of those primetimes it would be a different experience.

It’s always been a hub for the game since launch. That’s why the fleet is different to any planet.

I recently went back to WoW and to my amazement, Stormwind was still a hub of activity like it was back in the day. And WoW also has housing these days.

I guess I’m just like seeing people around when I play an MMO. Going to the planet (besides the starters) or the latest end game area always feels a bit empty to me. Sometimes it’s like playing a solo RPG game.

I’m just nostalgic for the fleet and how people would hang or meet or just see people interacting with each other. I’ve nothing against RP people, but even when I see an instance full of them, they are all standing around like statues and not moving. LoL, it kind of reminds me of some of those Doctor Who episodes where people get “frozen” or can’t move.

But at least I know I’m not alone on the fleet. I’d rather see them than an empty fleet.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Personally, I might be more inclined to hang out there if conveniences were close together.

For example, I can plop down in a stronghold: cargo hold, legacy cargo hold, mailbox, GTN, and vendor, and put them all within a few feet of each other. If I want to run back and forth between those on fleet, it's a long trek each time, by comparison.

There's also stuff like crafting mats and gear, which are again in entirely different places.

It's a cool concept and all feeling big, but it could use some Iokath-like portals or something. As it is, if you want convenience, there's virtually no reason to be on there.

Fleet chat in DM are doing fine. regular op formation, recruitment, trade requests happens during prime time. However the window itself has shrunk somewhat. Also there are people who run around fleet doing nothing, (Like me when I am waiting for a pop :p)

It’s always been a hub for the game since launch. That’s why the fleet is different to any planet.

In spite of the impression my last post may have made, I'm all for the idea of an active "hub" where people would congregate even just to hang around. Unfortunately, because of the current structure of the game and the often toxic nature of general chat, the Fleet isn't it any more.

As far as having "always" been a hub - I think that depends upon who you talk to. The Fleet was never a place I hung around very long. In the early days I would go there to access my Cargo hold, the GTN, etc, but I didn't hang around as such, and now all that stuff is in my Stronghold.

I was in the fleet last night. The game nearly froze. Too many people mostly standing in place. I was there to upgrade crafting skills.

Unless my character is still doing class quests, I usually leave them in strongholds.

I was on the Imp fleet last night (APAC time) and there were 23 people. That’s the difference between primetime and outside of primetime.

Those standing in place are all the RP people chatting.

Not sure why we need speeders on the fleet. If you get on your mount it takes maybe 20 seconds to go from one side to the other.

I was hoping they were either trolling or trying to be sarcastic, we've alot more things needed or fixed before speeders on fleet...lol.

Was there only 1 instance of fleet? 23 is pretty low if it was :( I'm usually on off peak too, as I'm in Ireland, but fleet can vary even then :)