Juggernaut Tanking Advice

PrChaos

I've never really tanked in any other MMO but it's my main class on SWTOR and I've gained a significant amount of experience doing so... But I'm still so confused as to the order of importance of stats for a juggernaut tank...

At first I thought it was defense, shield and absorb in that order of importance... With of course endurance and strength taking priority... But now I'm not so sure as a lot of the Rakata pieces of gear for a jugg tank drop my shield rating down quite a lot.

So my question is... Are there any experienced juggernaut tanks out there that can give me a clear and concise answer for order of importance for defense, shield and absorb rating? I really need need it.

Thanks!

It's not really a preference or priority, it's more about balancing the stats optimally. The general wisdom for a Jugg tank is 25% defense, 50% shield, 50% absorb.

Keep in mind what the stats do as well while you are choosing gear. Defense is the chance you have to completely avoid damage (why it hits a brick wall for diminishing returns so early and why going much beyond 25% is suboptimal due to sacrifices that would have to be made to your other stats). Shield is the chance you have to mitigate some amount of damage with your shield and absorb is the amount of damage you will absorb on a shielded attack.

You also have to consider diminishing returns. At certain points, a point of shield is worth significantly more than a point of defense. So that's what is meant by balancing them.

Also, rakata is well known for being terribly itemized.