Juggernaut hooded gear solution

Nekrian

Hi all,

Whilst I know juggs have some hooded armor they don't really have that much. What are the losses for me levelling as a dps jugg just with a modded chest light armor piece... Would it be ok up to a certain point? Looks are important for me. How much am I losing out by not using heavy armor.

Hi all,

Whilst I know juggs have some hooded armor they don't really have that much. What are the losses for me levelling as a dps jugg just with a modded chest light armor piece... Would it be ok up to a certain point? Looks are important for me. How much am I losing out by not using heavy armor.

By not wearing Heavy, you will probably be overworking your healer if you ever get hit by AoEs or have to deal with adds in group scenarios, which is basically all the time as a melee DPS. Solo, you'll probably be fine as long as you keep your companions' gear up, but you'll want to be over-leveled for some planets. Forget PvP completely. Our class is built around heavy armor, and even with Heavy Armor, you'll get torn up sometimes. I can't imagine trying to level a Jugg with light, even as a DPS.

There are two very easily acquired hooded Heavy Armors that are moddable once you get higher up. The first is the level 40 PvP robe, the second is a Corellia Commendation reward at level 50. Sure, you'll be waiting a while to get them, but I loooove the Corellia robe. There are others that come sooner, they're just hard to find.

We all have to look ugly for a while, and tbh I was never satisfied either until I got my Corellia robe. Better to just tough it out and be ugly for a little bit IMO.

Edited by Vid-szhite

Ditching armor for cosmetics is a bad choice IMO. That's why for RP I carry a second set so I can just switch out my current raid gear.

The fix should be some what easy as far as coding is concerned. Just add an additional "Hide Head Slot" that affects the robe so when a helmet is hidden then the robe becomes the next head piece - so to speak. The trick of course comes from the animation and mechanic itself as that could likely get tangled pretty easily.

Hi all,

As the poster above said, choosing light armor over heavy will cause you some major issues and greatly increase your down time after any fights.

I honestly think you would enjoy the experience more if you wore some slightly uglier gear that kept you alive more and waited till lvl 40 before getting the black PvP hooded robes.

Did you guys actually read his question? He's not talking about tanking, raiding, FPs, or even PvP. He's talking about leveling. He is also talking about wearing 1 (one) piece of light armor.

Our class is built around heavy armor... except that it doesn't help against anything but physical damage. Did you ever stop to think about why you 'get torn up even in heavy armor'? It's because it does ****-all in too many cases to count.

So he's going to lose somewhere on the order of 150-200 armor if he wears the light orange chest and mods it with proper mods. While leveling. Against mobs that do non-tech, non-elemental, non-internal damage. Internal/elemental/tech damage that many, many mobs (especially in higher level zones) dish out will hit him just as badly in heavy armor.

Dude, wear your light chest piece and enjoy your aesthetics. You'll be fine.

Edited by direborne

Did you guys actually read his question? He's not talking about tanking, raiding, FPs, or even PvP. He's talking about leveling. He is also talking about wearing 1 (one) piece of light armor.

Our class is built around heavy armor... except that it doesn't help against anything but physical damage. Did you ever stop to think about why you 'get torn up even in heavy armor'? It's because it does ****-all in too many cases to count.

So he's going to lose somewhere on the order of 150-200 armor if he wears the light orange chest and mods it with proper mods. While leveling. Against mobs that do non-tech, non-elemental, non-internal damage. Internal/elemental/tech damage that many, many mobs (especially in higher level zones) dish out will hit him just as badly in heavy armor.

Dude, wear your light chest piece and enjoy your aesthetics. You'll be fine.

This, I've done it on my Vanguard, didn't like the look of some of the heavy stuff so wore medium/light.

Edited by Tharenisis

Any of those things you mentioned can be done to level up. You can skip whole planets by doing PvP, Space, and Flashpoints. I'm letting him know that by choosing a light armor piece, he will not only be making his solo game harder, but he will be locking himself out of some of the best parts of the game unless he keeps a piece of heavy armor on hand for those occasions.

Solo Questing isn't the only thing that's fun about this game. Eventually he's going to want to branch out and try something else. If we just said "oh sure you'll be fine" he might think it would be fine in Flaspoints too since he's not the tank. A LOT of people think that since they're DPS they can screw off on Armoring, when in reality, having bad armor makes the healer's job a nightmare. What people forget is that the tank isn't the only guy getting hit, especially in SWTOR. It's the job of the DPS to handle trash and adds, and AoEs are commonplace. Furthermore, Heroics are a part of the standard leveling process too, and some Heroics can be extremely rough. If he never wants to be in a group, fine, but I doubt he'd want to shut himself out of so much. It would get way too expensive to keep two sets of armor just for looks, but if he wants to do that, fine. Perfectly fine.

I told him exactly what to expect. I did say he should be fine for solo leveling, but to be over-leveled during rough spots like Chapter End battles. What's the problem here?

Edited by Vid-szhite

I just want to point out how false this is. Yes, internal and Elemental damage happens in PvE, just like it happens in PvP, but it's the exception and not the rule. By FAR the most common attack type is Weapon damage (which is always Kinetic and Energy damage), which is why Defense, Armor, and Shields work at all in PvE (and why Sorc/Tracer Spam Merc/Operative are considered OP in PvP). If Internal/Elemental damage and Tech/Force attacks were as all over the place as you're saying, anyone could be a tank because defense, shields, and armor class wouldn't matter at all. Ask any Assassin who isn't using Dark Charge what he thinks about light armor. He'll tell you it sucks.

Armor works against ALL damage that isn't Internal and Elemental. Tech is not a damage type, it's an attack typing - if it does Kinetic or Energy damage, which almost all Tech attacks do, it will be mitigated by Armor. Tech/Force circumvents Shields and Defense, not Armor - Armor is actually the only defense that works against Tech/Force, making it the most reliable type of defense in the game, not the least.

Edited by Vid-szhite

I just want to point out how false this is. Yes, internal and Elemental damage happens in PvE, just like it happens in PvP, but it's the exception and not the rule. By FAR the most common attack type is Weapon damage (which is always Kinetic and Energy damage), which is why Defense, Armor, and Shields work at all in PvE (and why Sorc/Tracer Spam Merc/Operative are considered OP in PvP). If Internal/Elemental damage and Tech/Force attacks were as all over the place as you're saying, anyone could be a tank because defense, shields, and armor class wouldn't matter at all. Ask any Assassin who isn't using Dark Charge what he thinks about light armor. He'll tell you it sucks.

Armor works against ALL damage that isn't Internal and Elemental. Tech is not a damage type, it's an attack typing - if it does Kinetic or Energy damage, which almost all Tech attacks do, it will be mitigated by Armor. Tech/Force circumvents Shields and Defense, not Armor - Armor is actually the only defense that works against Tech/Force, making it the most reliable type of defense in the game, not the least.

This ^

Thank you, i really didn't want to have to type that out.

Hi guys,

As I think you've covered I was only meaning one piece of light armor. If I lose 100-200 armor as one of you said, about how much damage mitigation is that? Surely such a small difference wouldn't affect me too much, so long as the rest of me is well geared

What they need to do is give force users the option of wearing a robe over their armor, similar to the show/hide head slot. So, click a check box and you are wearing the robe, uncheck it and you are not. Perhaps they could even have an option on changing the color of the robe.

I must admit, while some of the Jugg armor does look cool, I do not think the armor sets should make us into robots. I am not Darth Vader, I did not lose three limbs and nearly burn to death. I do not need a breathing apparatus and a ton of machinery to keep me alive. I just need to wear heavy armor and a robe over it.

If I lose 100-200 armor as one of you said, about how much damage mitigation is that? Surely such a small difference wouldn't affect me too much, so long as the rest of me is well geared

Grab heavy armor you're thinking about replacing -- Hold it in your bag

Buy Light armor with hood, Insert Armor Mod you wish to use at that current time.

Hit C Look at armor

Go into bag switch to heavy armor

Hit C again, look at armor difference

Answer

xD

**Edit

Also armor goes off of current level of enemy you're attacking. So it scales, keeping up that armor mod is pretty essential (50 immortal Jug)

One does not simply forget about updating mods. (derp)

Also from light armor to heavy armor for me is about a 500 armor drop, which is almost 2-3%% dmg midigation (for me personally, at my level) But once again, it might hit you harder at your level. So the choice is yours, if you're gonna use quinn, just make sure you give him stuff, or go into the cantina and buy the Presence drinks, 600credits a pop and makes him heal ~5% or so better. Makes a difference, probably the difference that you're looking for. Theres options, explore to your hearts content.

Edited by Chancimus

I just want to point out how false this is. Yes, internal and Elemental damage happens in PvE, just like it happens in PvP, but it's the exception and not the rule. By FAR the most common attack type is Weapon damage (which is always Kinetic and Energy damage), which is why Defense, Armor, and Shields work at all in PvE (and why Sorc/Tracer Spam Merc/Operative are considered OP in PvP).

Can't believe people are STILL spreading wrong info. Sorc damage is ENERGY, not elemental. Please stop spreading misinformation.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/a0biEva/force-lightning