Slicing Mission Discovery completely in the tank since 1.4.3

CinderBane

What's up with Slicing Mission Discovery since 1.4.3?

It's been completely in the tank since the patch.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal as less procs would simply increase the value of the missions themselves, but the procs are so low that prices are rapidly climbing the ladder to the point where the cost of the Missions outweigh the benefit the crafters get from them.

Thus, crafters are gonna give up on even buying them if prices go much higher.

This game economy is shaky enough without this added on top...

(Just for perspective, I'm a slicer. I obtain the missions and then sell them to the crafters. I'm NOT a crafter whining that the cost is too high. I just recognize that this is a serious issue. Flame me if you feel the need, but it will fall on deaf ears.)

BTW, I don't really deal with the other crew skills so just wondering if procs from other crew skills have been similarly affected. Inquiring minds want to know...

I agree.

I do slicing missions and use the special mission acquired for my self. I check the prices on the GTN in regards to the special missions and they are outrageous. I simply do not buy them. If others didn't purchase the missions for the outrageous prices, the prices would have to come down.

As far as getting the missions from slicing, I get enough for myself to keep in business. I have three characters maxed out in slicing with max affection on all companions. When I am trying for a specific mission level, I use a companion with a slicing critical bonus.

Odd, our server is having the opposite problem on the Ebon Hawk. Missions that usually sell for 20-30k have all dropped to the 8-10K range, some even lower from a sudden market saturation after the patch.

Wow. That is VERY strange.

Here on Jedi Covenant it's been the opposite with the higher value missions. They've become so scarce that UW and Scavenging have reached well above 50k. Not coninuously, but enough that it's very strange.

Also, the 300 Diplomacy and 300/340 drops seem to be the same as far as getting them as opposed to others (not saying they've not been affected - just that you still get them more than others, and so their value is still in the tank).

Main concern is the sudden scarcity of missions across the board. I have two slicing toons that I use regularly, and it used to be normal to fill two inventory lines of missions in an 8 hour playing day. Since 1.4.3 hit, I've been doing my normal thing and today - as a great example - one toon has acquired 2 missions, and the other 4. This is a HUGE change.

I wouldn't be so worried if this was a slight adjustment, but this seems to be a drastic change. Going on 10-12 hours played today and only 6 discovery missions from slicing from two different toons combined - well, do the math.

LOL there are people that try to use crit rewards from slicing as income?!?!

Don't worry about the prices. If the prices remain high, then people are buying them at that price. If no one buys, then the price will go down. Mission discoveries are free anyway.

I would respond to your post if I could actually figure out what you mean. (Still scratching my head...)

The market is determined by supply and demand, however, if you make a part of the manufacturing process so cost-ineffective (i.e. it costs you more to produce it than you can possibly sell it for) then you simply won't do it.

It isn't a matter of folks not willing to pay the higher prices - it's an effect of paying more to make something that no one will buy at that price. Good analogy, would you pay $30 per mile on a solar vehicle, or $1 per mile for a gas-powered vehicle? Especially if the solar vehicle had a higher initial cost than the gas? (I know this is bordering on the current political situation of the US - I appologize, definitely not my intent - but needed a good example).

Suffice it to say, if the mission procs are now so very low, the cost will go up so high that the folks who use those missions would actually lost money from buying them. End result - folks won't buy, demand will drop to nothing, the providers of said missions will stop investing the time needed to gain those missions, and that portion of the economy will simply collapse.

No, if noone buys, someone will undercut the others. If that price is acceptable for crafters, they buy. If not, someone undercuts the undercutter. Until the missions are bought again.

I mean, as a slicer, what would you rather do? List for 10k less than everyone else and sell out in minutes, or list for the market price noone pays and have timed out listings every day?

I would respond to your post if I could actually figure out what you mean. (Still scratching my head...)

The market is determined by supply and demand, however, if you make a part of the manufacturing process so cost-ineffective (i.e. it costs you more to produce it than you can possibly sell it for) then you simply won't do it.

It isn't a matter of folks not willing to pay the higher prices - it's an effect of paying more to make something that no one will buy at that price. Good analogy, would you pay $30 per mile on a solar vehicle, or $1 per mile for a gas-powered vehicle? Especially if the solar vehicle had a higher initial cost than the gas? (I know this is bordering on the current political situation of the US - I appologize, definitely not my intent - but needed a good example).

Suffice it to say, if the mission procs are now so very low, the cost will go up so high that the folks who use those missions would actually lost money from buying them. End result - folks won't buy, demand will drop to nothing, the providers of said missions will stop investing the time needed to gain those missions, and that portion of the economy will simply collapse.

I'm incredulous that people depend on a steady income of mission discoveries. They are the reward you get when you crit (get lucky and score more mats) slicing missions. They are a crit reward, not an expected reward.

The price on the GTN for these will not go so high that they are consistently over-priced. Since they are crit rewards, you get them for free when you crit on a slicing mission. So you sell them at the current GTN price. If it doesn't sell, you either give it to an alt, guildie, or resell at a lower value.

You shouldn't depend on these as a source of income because you get these missions on a lucky roll. It's like pve-ing and getting an orange or purple loot drop. If you wanted to farm these in the area, you better be willing to spend hours doing so. And you should understand that you are not entitled to get these drops consistently.

And the trolls are out in full force.

There are many things in the game, including non-economic things, that are dependent on crit chance. Crit chance is very much a part of this game until and unless they completely remove it (which they can as it's their game).

Your premise of "no one should be dependent on crit chance" is completely ludicrous, as it's the ONLY way to obtain these items in the game - there IS no other way.

Further, this thread is NOT - once again for the cheap seats - NOT about me whining that I'm not getting a high enough price for what I sell on the GTN. The market sets the price, I set my prices competetively (it is rare for me to have an item listing expire), and no, I don't gouge or expect folks to pay more than the fair market price.

The purpose of this thread is to try to ascertain whether there was an unintended and significant decrease in the rate - and it's a valid question as it happened once before in a previous patch regarding an unintended lowering of the amount of materials returned by many crew missions.

If you want to troll and complain about people whom you believe set their prices too high (which I've already stated I do NOT) then go start your own thread and stop hyjacking this one.

EDIT: And by all means, go tell players that they should not utilize any gear that increases the crit chance of their class because YOU don't believe that's how the game should be played. See how quickly they laugh you out of the room.

Edited by CinderBane

Over the last four weeks I have seen a huge drop in the amount of Neural Augmentors. previously I was hitting about 15 to 20 % of my slicing missions over the course of a week. Now its closer to 5 to 10 %.

I have also noticed a drop off on amount of crafting missions recieved, but not quite as bad (although half of the missions I seem to crit are always investigation).

I was just chalking this up to a bad run of things, but as long as I have been slicing (since January) I never hit a dry spell this long.

Over the last four weeks I have seen a huge drop in the amount of Neural Augmentors. previously I was hitting about 15 to 20 % of my slicing missions over the course of a week. Now its closer to 5 to 10 %.

I have also noticed a drop off on amount of crafting missions recieved, but not quite as bad (although half of the missions I seem to crit are always investigation).

I was just chalking this up to a bad run of things, but as long as I have been slicing (since January) I never hit a dry spell this long.

I was afraid of that, as that's what I've been seeing.

Would still like to hear from more players before deciding whether this seems real enough to submit a ticket...

And the trolls are out in full force.

There are many things in the game, including non-economic things, that are dependent on crit chance. Crit chance is very much a part of this game until and unless they completely remove it (which they can as it's their game).

Your premise of "no one should be dependent on crit chance" is completely ludicrous, as it's the ONLY way to obtain these items in the game - there IS no other way.

Further, this thread is NOT - once again for the cheap seats - NOT about me whining that I'm not getting a high enough price for what I sell on the GTN. The market sets the price, I set my prices competetively (it is rare for me to have an item listing expire), and no, I don't gouge or expect folks to pay more than the fair market price.

The purpose of this thread is to try to ascertain whether there was an unintended and significant decrease in the rate - and it's a valid question as it happened once before in a previous patch regarding an unintended lowering of the amount of materials returned by many crew missions.

If you want to troll and complain about people whom you believe set their prices too high (which I've already stated I do NOT) then go start your own thread and stop hyjacking this one.

EDIT: And by all means, go tell players that they should not utilize any gear that increases the crit chance of their class because YOU don't believe that's how the game should be played. See how quickly they laugh you out of the room.

I am not a troll. Sent you a PM.

From what I can tell using other missions, the crit chance is largely the same. I haven't rolled a slicer until after 1.4

I am not a troll. Sent you a PM.

From what I can tell using other missions, the crit chance is largely the same. I haven't rolled a slicer until after 1.4

First and foremost, I realize that you weren't one of the trolls complaining about players setting their prices to high.

Sorry, was trying to address multiple issues in a single reply as I didn't really want to reply individually.

Second, your premise is still incorrect (sorry, but it is). This is not Vegas. The crit chance from crew skill missions is a hardset number. The likelyhood of a crit occurring is SET IN STONE. It is a percentage chance set by the Devs. Nothing that you or I do can change that.

While I respect your voicing your opinion that folks should not expect anything from this "crit chance" I also disagree. This IS NOT Vegas. ALL crew skills have a chance to crit, and as such, a SET chance to gain a higher benefit. The price we pay to receive that bonus is time. Once again, this is not Vegas. If we don't get the crit, we lose time, nothing more.

My question is simply whether or not this crit chance has been adversely affected by the latest patch; and I mean this as "not intended". If the Devs come back and say that this was intended, well, it's their game. I was simply trying to find out if it was NOT intended - and then some folks showed up complaining that people set prices too high and should settle for less on the GTN (and if you re-read I'm sure that you'll see that what they truly mean is that every other player in the game should simply give them whatever they want for no cost - or even pay them to take mats...)

I realize that this wasn't your take on the whole thing; didn't mean it to come off like that - as I said, I was replying to many with a single post.

That said. Your premise still does not hold water. I'm saying this politely. Crit chance for things such as healing and damage is no different than crit chance for crew missions. The Vegas comparison is completely out the window as there is no downside in crit chance (i.e. we don't lost something - damage, heals, etc, if we don't crit - we simply stand a chance to occasionally gain something). It is, and has been, no different with crew skill missions. We don't LOSE something if we don't crit, we simply have a chance to gain something if we do.

The question still remains: was this crit chance DRASTICALLY REDUCED. It does seem like it has been. If this was INTENDED, then we have to deal with it - as I stated before, this is their game and they have the final decision on making these type of changes. My question is more about "was this intended?". How can you miss that?

As for your PM to me about builds that have nothing to do, whatsoever, with crit chance, I beg to differ. I'm not trying to flame you whatsoever; on the contrary, I'm taking a lot of time to explain something. With any class in this game (as the game stands now) you want your crit chance at around 30%. The way this game currently works, 30% crit chance (up to 35% depending on the class and build) is what you should shoot for. This is NOT dictated by us, it's been capped and set by the Devs.

It doesn't matter which build you use; you are losing a tremendous amount of capability if you choose to go with "crit chance is just chance, so I'm going to completely ignore it, stack something else, and leave my crit chance at zero".

You are entitled to play any which way you like, but right now (and until the Devs change the facts of gameplay) you are losing an INCREDIBLE amount of capability if you take the "Vegas" - "Crit is luck" - "Not gonna do it" form of play.

What you need to understand is that you are not all-knowing, all-seeing, all-understanding about how everything in this game works. Play your own way but please don't tell me that I am wrong for playing my way. At the least, agree to disagree.

I wish you the best of luck, but I would not group with you. That 30-35% crit chance is EXTREMELY important no matter your class - and it's no different for crew skill missions.

Respectfully,

-Cinder

First and foremost, I realize that you weren't one of the trolls complaining about players setting their prices to high.

Sorry, was trying to address multiple issues in a single reply as I didn't really want to reply individually.

Second, your premise is still incorrect (sorry, but it is). This is not Vegas. The crit chance from crew skill missions is a hardset number. The likelyhood of a crit occurring is SET IN STONE. It is a percentage chance set by the Devs. Nothing that you or I do can change that...........................................................................

Respectfully,

-Cinder

Fine, agree to disagree. I wouldn't depend on crit rewards as a form of income. And I'll no longer find it incredulous that some people do. But let me clear up what I said about builds.

I said not many builds depend on crit damage. Not depending on something is not the same as completely ignoring it. My main has 36ish% crit chance and 79ish% surge. I'll gladly accept crit damage whenever I get it, I just don't wonder why I'm not getting it as often as I think I should be.

I rolled a slicer after 1.4 but I notice that I crit more or less as often as I have been using other crew skills from before and after 1.4. I don't have hard numbers though.

I feel like the number of Radioactive Paste I get from critting Diplo Medical Supplies missions has really fallen off. I have my Aric Jordan (100% affection, +2 Diplo crit) and my ships droid (100% affection, +2 Diplo Crit w/ legacy armoring) running these missions constantly... I think I get around 100 Smart Cells for every 5 or so Paste, which based average mission yields works out to criting about 1/20 tries, or about a 5% crit rate... However, I thought with the companions I am running these missions with I should be getting a 15 to 22% crit rate based on whether it is a green or yellow difficulty mission (I think those colors are right!). It seems like I had much better results previously...