Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll

CelCawdro

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of confused as to why so many votes are for species that are simply humans with different skin/hair colors. If you want a different race, wouldn't you want something.... Different?

I think some of those votes are coming from a place of fan devotion, mostly. Either a specific character that they wish to emulate is of one of these species, or they really enjoy some cultural aspect of that particular near-human (which is interesting, because some of the species being suggested are humans, just with a different culture). But yeah, a lot of them as aesthetically boring (at least to me) and are nearly indistinct from baseline humans, but they remain popular nonetheless because of the background they have.

1. zeltron

2. echani

3. togruta

as per the question about echani/zeltron, i think i think i would be mostly ok with simply having the color options, but they would probably have to change the name of the human race to 'human and near-humans' or something.

but i would really like to have the races separate and each have a racial emote that really differentiates zeltron, echani, and human from each other.

perhaps for zeltron's, it could have some graphical effect that would imply using their emotion projection or maybe to simulate pheremones

I wouldn't think it to be entirely out of the realm of possibility for the developers to tie an emote in with a specific choice on a "near-human" slider. Yoda knows they've been pumping out emotes with the Cartel Market, so the actual animation shouldn't be too arduous...

I think some of those votes are coming from a place of fan devotion, mostly. Either a specific character that they wish to emulate is of one of these species, or they really enjoy some cultural aspect of that particular near-human (which is interesting, because some of the species being suggested are humans, just with a different culture). But yeah, a lot of them as aesthetically boring (at least to me) and are nearly indistinct from baseline humans, but they remain popular nonetheless because of the background they have.

That would make more sense. From what I've read on your OP, any races the devs release will be pretty distinct(Cathar, Trandos, Jello :D) from what we have now, what with the comments about having very clear negatives and the like that'll set them a part from everyone else.

I would actually be pretty disappointed in BW if they released more near/practically-human, as it would seem lazy to toss on some skin tones/tattoos and call it new.

That would make more sense. From what I've read on your OP, any races the devs release will be pretty distinct(Cathar, Trandos, Jello :D) from what we have now, what with the comments about having very clear negatives and the like that'll set them a part from everyone else.

I would actually be pretty disappointed in BW if they released more near/practically-human, as it would seem lazy to toss on some skin tones/tattoos and call it new.

Likewise. That being said, I don't think that those near-human species should be ignored, either. While I maintain that they'd be undeserving of their own drawn out development cycles, it would be great to see some added variety to existing species. Allow humans to have, say, Kiffar tattooes or Zeltron skin. Allow other species to have cyborg features if you've unlocked that species with your legacy.

As long as they save the majority of their time and money for species that would actually require a lot of time and money to implement (all within reason, of course).

Back in beta, you could select a Zeltron pink skin colour. In fact, humans had available to them an extremely wide array of selections that have since been toned down. This suggestion is not without precedent. I don't think anyone would put forth that Near-humans and Humans proper are the same thing, but at the risk of not having them in-game at all, would you not prefer simply having the option? I mean, look at how long Cathar are taking. It's almost been a year since they were announced, and therefore longer than they've been in development. If BioWare wants to expand their species selection drastically, there needs to be a little leeway for them to work with, methinks.

But yes, I realize that you're an idealist. I can respect you for that. But I'm trying to be as realistic as possible with our expectations. It's good to have someone like you on the other side of the issue, voicing what an ideal situation would be in an ideal world where time and money are meaningless. Everyone needs something to strive for, but one needs to also be aware of the reality of their situation.

I don't think that we'll ever agree on how BioWare should be looking at how they implement more species, but in the long run, I don't think that we need to. I think we've both taken legitimate viewpoints that aren't necessarily in conflict with each other.

Well of course it would be easy to have additional colors available for Humans to select like there was in beta but in the end it all comes down to lore.

I think that when it comes down to selecting the next near-human species to become playable, it should be one that doesn't already appear similar to the existing selection. The following choices as mentioned before: Kiffar (facial matkings), Nagai (Pale skin, black hair, pointed ears), Noorian (Golden Brown skin), Pantoran and Wroonian (whilst Chiss are blue skinned, they don't have facial markings, tatttoos and are only available for Imperial players to start), Tof (yellow-green skin, whilst Mirialans are green they're only available for Republic players to start), and Zeltron (pink to crimson skin).

Well of course it would be easy to have additional colors available for Humans to select like there was in beta but in the end it all comes down to lore.

I think that when it comes down to selecting the next near-human species to become playable, it should be one that doesn't already appear similar to the existing selection. The following choices as mentioned before: Kiffar (facial matkings), Nagai (Pale skin, black hair, pointed ears), Noorian (Golden Brown skin), Pantoran and Wroonian (whilst Chiss are blue skinned, they don't have facial markings, tatttoos and are only available for Imperial players to start), Tof (yellow-green skin, whilst Mirialans are green they're only available for Republic players to start), and Zeltron (pink to crimson skin).

And in the lore, many near-humans (and I don't necessarily mean that in the technical, canonical definition) are treated like any other human. And thus, it would make sense to allude to them within the human species proper. But again, like I said, you're an idealist that promotes ideas without giving consideration to the realities of timelines and budgets. That's a good thing - someone should always be around promoting the ideal situation. We're not going to agree, here.

And in the lore, many near-humans (and I don't necessarily mean that in the technical, canonical definition) are treated like any other human. And thus, it would make sense to allude to them within the human species proper. But again, like I said, you're an idealist that promotes ideas without giving consideration to the realities of timelines and budgets. That's a good thing - someone should always be around promoting the ideal situation. We're not going to agree, here.

I actually do put timelines and budgets into consideration, and I'm not necessarily saying that these species candidates should be put first over Togruta, Rodian or Mon Calamari, but eventually sometime down the line in the future they could be implemented.

However as I'm not too familiar with how the development process works first hand, I and many would assume that Zeltron or Kiffar would take a less amount of time to develop considering the feedback that the developers have given us over species which may have clipping and voicing issues compared to those which are near-Human and are viewed upon as simple recolors. Only time can tell which species will next become playable and I'm hoping most of these issues will eventually be sorted out, but if the oppertunity is there to introduce ones which would cost less to implement and wouldn't interfere with the progress of other content such as operations, flashpoints, explorable worlds and other more exotic playable species, I can't see why Zeltrons and other more distinct near-Human species would be a huge issue to have playable.

Edited by Vitas

One suggestion I definitely have is adding a "Near-human features" slider to humans. Tattooes, stripes, specific skin/hair colours, small facial alterations, etc. Not enough for NPCs to consider one alien, but enough to convincingly create, say, a Zeltron or a Kiffar (Echani are arguably possible, now). May as well bring the cyborg slider to other species, too (maybe only if you've unlocked cyborg via legacy).

Ah, I would totally love this. I'm not sure why they opted to not have any kind of sliders in the first place (a time/money saver, but still).

Ah, I would totally love this. I'm not sure why they opted to not have any kind of sliders in the first place (a time/money saver, but still).

Well, at first, I defended the lack of sliders as insurance that large-scale PvP battles would be as smooth as possible (I was playing Aion, at the time). But seeing how the slideshow PvP on Ilum was even worse than Aion, I'm less understanding. But oh well - that decision is in the past now. We need to work within the systems that exist, for good or for ill.

1) Droid

2) Jawa

3) n/a

I don't really find any other SW races that interesting personally. Since I have all the classes made already I would really have to want something bad in order to roll another one, my ultimate vote for that would be the droid. But I hope it would be done right. Fully customizable appearance that can evolve as you add items too it. If I had to run around looking like 2V-R8 for all my levels I'd pass. I'd also prefer that many of these races remain class specific because some of them would be downright ridiculous. Wookies and Jawas for instance using the force...please no.

1) Droid

2) Jawa

3) n/a

I don't really find any other SW races that interesting personally. Since I have all the classes made already I would really have to want something bad in order to roll another one, my ultimate vote for that would be the droid. But I hope it would be done right. Fully customizable appearance that can evolve as you add items too it. If I had to run around looking like 2V-R8 for all my levels I'd pass. I'd also prefer that many of these races remain class specific because some of them would be downright ridiculous. Wookies and Jawas for instance using the force...please no.

Understandable sentiment. Personally, I don't find droids likely because of all that extra work that you just detailed, and that I would think that BioWare would ensure that any subsequent species are able to be utilized by any class, Force-using or otherwise.

Very interesting that I haven't really seen any additions to the list in months... Methinks most of the species that are currently in the forum consciousness have been aptly assessed.

While that's incredibly possible, it's also possible that since it's taken them so long to get Cathar out (we still only have speculation on when THAT will happen,) people stop voting because they probably won't be around when playable species 2 comes out.

Great, thanks for this poll! It just didn't occur to me to look for an official one before I posted my comment. I'm actually glad Togruta is the lead, 'cause for me it was Nautolan and Togruta that deserved a place in-game. So, at least one of my favorites is in the lead, followed by my suggestion, AND the Kel Dor would be excellent. No Ewoks people, really....

1. Togruta

2. Nautolan

3. Kel Dor

(Yes, I did change my mind and voted Togruta as first. Was a tough choice for me.)

Thanks again for the poll!!!!