New Expansion

Jakesteelflex

I've never played WoW so I can't speak on how good the expansion is. However, it seems to me that any game's expansion shouldn't have people saying "vanilla is better" since an expansion is just an update to vanilla. I don't really understand the logic behind that statement, for any game.

I've never played WoW so I can't speak on how good the expansion is. However, it seems to me that any game's expansion shouldn't have people saying "vanilla is better" since an expansion is just an update to vanilla. I don't really understand the logic behind that statement, for any game.

I think people say that in reference to WoW because, from my limited knowledge of that game, the expansions they released actually altered/improved lowbie content.

That's one of the few things BioWare could take away from Blizzard by the way. In my opinion low level content is more important to an MMO's continued health than end-game content.

Actually, comparing to WoW, ROTHC is hardly an expansion, more like a concrete content update. There aren't that many changes coming to the game, a couple of new abilities added to classes, some class balance, and basically more of the same - new operation, four flashpoints scaled to 55, a new levelling zone, etc.

There is, in fact, no reason one can adopt the mentality "vanilla was better" simply because ROTHC does not bring significant changes and additions to the core game. There's a reason why lots of people prefer to designate it as a DLC.

I think if anything, 2.0 may be looked upon as "The Day The Game Got Much, Much Better", with the new bolster in 50+ PVP.

One of the most long-standing disparities in the game has now been mitigated to some extent, and can be tweaked to be perfect if they keep at it.

ROTHC is the ripple of raspberry sauce in your vanilla ice-cream. Still smooth and lovely, but with a hint of berry goodness if done well, or stodgy and sticky if you're buying the cheap stuff from Asda.

I'm personally hoping for a Carte D'or of deliciousness.

I think people say that in reference to WoW because, from my limited knowledge of that game, the expansions they released actually altered/improved lowbie content.

That's one of the few things BioWare could take away from Blizzard by the way. In my opinion low level content is more important to an MMO's continued health than end-game content.

Sadly no, the lowbie content was done in one particular expansion, which in my opinion broke the game. The extended level content was so poor as the compromise..

What people complain about is more the systems changes and making the once 'elite' content more and more accessible as time goes on. Its the focus on accessibility (which is tangibly against depth or complexity) that causes the complaints. As an example, in Panda they somehow managed to entirely remove the talent system (and somehow claim its still there.. but its not, its gone.) Secondary stats get nerfed every expansion somewhat consistently also (as in, they reduce the number/remove them from gear).

Just in case.. if you do decide to hop in wow, you'll find everything very very familiar. SWTOR blows it away in terms of quest delivery/production, but wow has a more cohesive world, and the gameplay is much much tigher (global cooldowns here take an eternity.. and wow's spells are tuned to match it being snappier).

Having said.. the classes here id say are more fun... But that's maybe because i was playing wow for too long and knew them all too well :) Also, the world of warcraft is MASSIVE in comparison, and there are only loading screens between continents.. effectively they're non existent in world gameplay.

Personally I find the comparisons funny because it tells me personally how old the gamer in question "may" be, or which game was most important to them. I've been playing myself since MUD/MUDD/MUSH days :D

For example, you rarely hear anyone compare games to:

AOL's Neverwinters Night - One of the first really graphic MMO's

Meridian 59 - One of the first open PVP world games

Ultima Online - Which was really the first "graphically" cheap to play, open world (ex: sandbox) game, with a structured crafting system

Asheron's Call - One of the "ties" for replacement of UO. First truly "Open world environment" with no load screens between zone.

Everquest - The other tie for replacement of UO. Created the first "true" raiding style guild because of the sheer requirements of "particular" classes you just "had to have" if you wanted to complete "anything"

Dark Age of Camelot - Created first true "Realm vs Realm" combat that had the instance of stealing and holding other realms Frontier Keeps and relics that gave you access to a Dungeon with hard to find loot in it.

Star Wars Galaxies - Originally had diverse classes and skills. You didn't need any "one" class, but it helped to have more. Open sand box world like UO and similar in crafting to it. Later added "Jump to light speed" for open space combat.

Currently its all:

World of Warcraft - Which took some of the above (part of AC's open "no loading screen" world, Everquest's dungeon raiding, and DAOC's open PVP) and rolled it all up into one. Didn't really do those things better than the other games, but provided some mix of those elements in one game :p

And there are "Way" too many other MMO games that I left out, (like Planetside or Tribes with only a *few* MMO elements in them), but still, I love it when I hear the latest game getting compared to whatever a player has as their primary frame of reference.

Edited by Risq

Whenever a new expansion is release, someone will always want to start their complaints with "I've been playing since Vanilla" in an effort to add the credibility of experience to their argument. For that reason alone, you are almost guaranteed to see someone pretending to pine away for the good ol' days of "Vanilla" SWTOR.

Pretending.