Upgrade and intertwine your legacy system with character progression in Onslaught

Phazonfreak

I think together with the itemization and loot overhaul and the much appreciated change to gear becoming legacy items, you have a great chance to improve upon your entire legacy system to feel more engaging and at the same time reward old players that want to "play their way" with different characters.

The motivation for this thread sprung up when Eric confirmed that the renown system is gated behind max level characters as a purely supplementary system only:

As I explained in that thread

I think this is a mistake. And it will be more reason why creating and leveling alts is very grinding and not positively supplemented by the game mechanics. As it stands now when your legacy is fully upgraded and you know the stories by heart, every fresh low level character feels more like a burden until you finally get him/her to the point when they can do/earn something worthwhile.

This is reinforced by the fact that in the current conquest system there are several high reward quests that can only be done once per legacy. I fail to see why doing the same conquest missions with alts should exclude them from getting the same rewards and in turn locking them out of the point race.

All of these decisions make me feel like you have some kind of resentment against players that dont want to stick to their few core characters and instead enjoy creating a large legacy.

For that matter, I hoped that you would finally increase the max level of legacies and add new rewards like titles and emotes. Nothing groundbreaking, just nice little gestures for players that have commited much time into this game. It has been stuck at lvl 50 for several years now.

Since adding new content seems to be challenging and stretched out thin, a new approach to the legacy system might be the way to go to increase the enjoyment of revisiting the old content.

Edited by Phazonfreak
addition

It seems to me that your argument is based on a misconception. You viewed Galactic Renown as analogous to *Legacy Progression*, but it isn't. It's not analogous to anything. It *is* a direct replacement for the current Galactic Command system. That said, I agree that it acquires an aspect of "teamwork" with the Renown system that is somewhat lacking in GC, because of the legacy-bound nature of gear, but that aspect is already somewhat present in GC because of the ability to pull mod-objects from crate (and other) gear and sent them to other characters on your legacy in legacy-bound shells. (I do this sometimes, and it's quite feasible for e.g. Ossus Experimental 252s.)

Those high-reward Conquest objectives are once-per-legacy precisely because they are high-reward. If they were once-per-character, they would have a much lower reward level, in part because of e.g. Last Boss Lockout procedures for operations-based objectives.

I also think that if they enabled RXP from level 10 (as you suggest) or 1 (as some people seemed to think), there would be essentially no chance of lowbie characters getting gear that was useful for max-level characters.

I'm also of the opinion that, other than as a framework to hang achievements and perks on, the legacy system is somewhat dead, especially the family tree thing. (It has several serious flaws, weaknesses and shortcomings, and there has been essentially no movement on that stuff since I began playing in 2013.)