Server Consolidation

CourtneyWoods

Maybe, maybe not. Imagine TOR was your baby, you put so much of your life into making it a reality and then after almost a year you see it being run so badly, maybe they had enough and left. Now TOR has no one stearing the ship. I hope im wrong but the way the game is being run It would not surprise me that they just wanted out. Subcribers down, FTP being introduced, servers cut, two founders leaving its business suicide.

If it was my "baby" and someone offered me a dump truck full of money i would cut and run and never look back.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was my "baby" and someone offered me a dump truck full of money i would cut and run and never look back.

It would be hard to walk away from something you have worked hard on for years. Im not sure if you have commited yourself to something which has taken years of dedication to produce and be so easy to walk away from. These guys were already pretty wealthy, to me its personal to them to see the game going from bad to worse.

Someday a company will make a good star wars mmo, someday. :rolleyes:

Also, I think from the beginning they should have made the server list very condensed, having that many servers was completely unnecessarry. if they found they needed more than open up a few more. But starting with so many was a dumb thing to do.

Edited by spectreclees

It would be hard to walk away from something you have worked hard on for years. Im not sure if you have commited yourself to something which has taken years of dedication to produce and be so easy to walk away from. These guys were already pretty wealthy, to me its personal to them to see the game going from bad to worse.

if that is the case then why leave, why not fight for your "baby" to develop into something better. Seems like they took the cowardly way out.

If they were so committed to the company then why hand it over to EA? the new that EA would give them a shed load for their company and they selfishly took it and ran.

The Word "commit" is a dead word in today's society.

Maybe they where Naive in trusting Electronic arse but you need a majoy player to get a game like this off the ground and marketed, althought the marketing has been abismal. Not sure at all. I know one thing its start to suck. It may be my last month subscribing as the last patch has created more bugs its just pure incompitance.

if they found they needed more than open up a few more. But starting with so many was a dumb thing to do.

...maybe my memories of game opening are fuzzy, but I think that's exactly what they did do. They had a set amount, got absolutely slammed by queues and lag in that initial wave of 1.7 million subscribers, and threw servers at the problem to ease the congestion.

It's too bad they didn't have the High Pop Server tech available or in place when they opened.

Aloha guys,

There is a simple rule about character transfer - if you transfer a char. whose name is already taken on destination server, you have to rename it. The GMs know that and what happened found many people disappointing, including me.. I asked about this rule in a ticket and the answer was out of my league - GM described me how to rename a character... Sorry but i find it insulting and I sympathise with my "enraged" mates.. I can understand the server problems but i dont like the "dumb and dumber" games.. By the way when I wanted to move my chars before, they said I play on destination server, so transfer isnt possible.. So how can one expect the population on some origin servers to increase? I am disappointed, my char name´s to change and legacy name too..I hope this did not happen cause of some trial players (no offense).

Edited by Mortianna
cool mind again..

There is a simple rule about character transfer - if you transfer a char. whose name is already taken on destination server, you have to rename it. But after this transfer issue, people on destination servers playing for a long time are also forced to rename char names, and this isnt a solution.

That is the perception of what happened, but it isn't the reality, as many people have also discovered.

Example, you play on The Harbinger since launch. The consolidation happens, you are now on The Harbinger, and you have to rename. This is the perception issue. The server shares the same name, but it is not in fact the same original server, it is a new server, it just shares the name.

Frustrating? Very, because it was not a wise decision from the people who did the implementation. Ambiguity is not a good thing anywhere except a transvestite talent show.

I, like yourself, had to deal with similar issues when my characters were all shoehorned to the new server. I got extremely lucky and one of my original names became mine again (since I used it all through beta and launch that made me happy), but the overall anger people are feeling is not entirely unwarranted. Poor communication, poor implementation, and as the most recent patch has shown, either very poor testing and/or ignoring the bug reports from the people who were testing it, which lead to a pile of broken stuff that sets us back over 2 patches in some cases.

On the plus side, it's almost impossible to not find someone to help with a difficult mission in less than ten minutes now.

• 4 years later...
We really need a new server merger... I can't get anything done and it doesn't inspire me much to keep playing. I can't afford to transfer 30+ characters and I'm definitely not going to start from complete scratch. Why hasn't this been a discussion? We should merge all servers into a newly named region specific server. Edited by Xoza

We really need a new server merger... I can't get anything done and it doesn't inspire me much to keep playing. I can't afford to transfer 30+ characters and I'm definitely not going to start from complete scratch. Why hasn't this been a discussion? We need to merge all servers into a newly named region specific server.

Do all 30+ characters have to be transferred at one time?

Subscribers get a minimum of 500 CC per month, with another 100 if you have a security key . That is enough to transfer 5 to 6 characters per month, given the indefinitely extended 90 CC transfer sale. It might take a few months, but a subscriber could transfer 30+ characters or even more without having to pay another penny.

Server merges would bring their own set of problems, headaches and nightmares.

Holy necro Batman. You all do know this is from 5 years ago, right?

If BW:A merges servers now, EA might figure out something is up. I doubt they want any attention drawn to why they need to merge servers, or they might get their budget reduced to zero.

We really need a new server merger... I can't get anything done and it doesn't inspire me much to keep playing. I can't afford to transfer 30+ characters and I'm definitely not going to start from complete scratch. Why hasn't this been a discussion? We should merge all servers into a newly named region specific server.

Why hasn't this been a discussion!? Are you kidding?

Use the search option please, you'll find a great deal of discussion.

Very short summary of why this is a problem: Name conflicts, guild transfers, population differences, strongholds, outfits, mail, server character number limits.

Last I check transfers were still 90CC, it would not take long at all to transfer even 30 chars

Really? Isn't the necro police BS getting old? Who really cares and why? It's still relevant.

no need to get all riled up I was just curious, I thought it was for this update. and speaking of old relevant issues, is there ever going to be optimization to graphics so I don't have fractured crap all over my screen??

Really? Isn't the necro police BS getting old? Who really cares and why? It's still relevant.

Not really. You can't compare current cry for server merge to situation we had in 2012. They had way too many servers back then.

Some think that game is dying when it takes 1+ hour for group finder to find a tank and healer for two dps friends, they also think that game is dying just because fleet population is 20 at off peak hours.

What we had back in 2012 was this: you could be the ONLY person on fleet sometimes.

Edited by Halinalle

Some servers have that now. Jung Ma is lucky to have 20 people on Fleet AT peak hours. More often it's 1-3, depending on how many bots are there.

I think most will acknowledge that the old PVP servers are pretty much ghost towns. That said, the problems surrounding server merges still exist, even for the "ghost town" servers.

I think most will acknowledge that the old PVP servers are pretty much ghost towns. That said, the problems surrounding server merges still exist, even for the "ghost town" servers.

well even if we had 1 HugeMongo server the game would probably cost less to run and put more money for development, but that might be stretching it a bit with EA/BW. But look at STO they have had only 1 server for a long time aside from the console ports. it still is doing quite well, although it does have its downfalls too, when ever I log in that game there is people everywhere.

well even if we had 1 HugeMongo server the game would probably cost less to run and put more money for development, but that might be stretching it a bit with EA/BW. But look at STO they have had only 1 server for a long time aside from the console ports. it still is doing quite well, although it does have its downfalls too, when ever I log in that game there is people everywhere.

Okay, so you do understand that SW: TOR already has had a MAJOR round of server merges back in fall of 2012, and it took the North American Servers from 20/30/40 down to 8; as well as the same for the European Servers, down to 9; and completely shut down the Pacific/Oceania servers, right?

I've seen a lot of players on the forum demanding server merges in the last couple of years, who must have missed out on that back in 2012. Server merges can't fix what people's work schedules are like, or which time zone they're in --- and not everyone can be on 24/7. So it's usually better to plan to run Ops, Uprisings, and Flashpoints that you need a good group for on the weekend.