Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

At first I thought it was you could buy with credits outright, just the FP key lowered the price. That appears not to be the case.

I suppose running the FP 10 times with one character would be tolerable, since you only need to purchase it once, but agree with others -- making it legacy wide would be cool.

Edited by Jdast

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith.

I understand what you are doing.

Problem is you (Bioware) haven't (outside of starter / 2nd planets in class stories) delivered any content at all I actually "want" to play 10 times over.

I applaud the intent of trying some something new; just not this implementation.

You already have a (somewhat abandoned) mechanism for unlocking things like Strongholds.

It's called "Reputation".

So for New Planet - New Faction = new reputation meter.

Reach X Reputation with Faction A get the "Basic" SH.

Reach Y Reputation with Faction A get the "Intermediate" SH.

Reach Z Reputation with Faction A get the "Deluxe" SH.

Basic SH = Entry Area, Reception Room, Two Side Rooms, x Hooks.

Intermediate = As Above + Executive Suite, Outdoor Area, +1 Side Room 2x Hooks (Total).

Deluxe = As Above + 2nd Executive Suite, Landing Platform, +1 Side Room 3x Hooks (Total).

Have the Rep earned via a quest chain, with each "check point" in the quest chain and / or Rep level unlocking a repeatable daily.

Maybe even go so far as to have that Deluxe SH Unlock dependent on completing a Flashpoint.

So the content drop then includes: Story Driven Quest Chain (Soloable or Group), Daily Quests associated with the Quest Chain, Group Content at end of Quest Chain, AND an unlockable Stronghold that requires progressive Rep based unlocks. Throw in a new Rep Vendor with Deco's that can be purchased with Faction Specific Tokens that drop within the "new content".

Solo Content? Check!

Repeatable Daily Content? Check!

Group Content? Check!

Stronghold? Check!

Everyone is happy.

Heck, I've just given you a blueprint for every significant content drop you do from now on.

I'd go further, spread that content drop over two or three patches. Add in a new PvP Zone based on the "new content" and maybe even throw in a GSF mission as well.

Each year could see a new planet, with a story arc, and new PvP and PvE content.

See, this is "trying something new". This post right here.

I know this involves more groundwork and development time Keith, but it's ideas like this that have merit and should be looked at much more closely in the future for content drops. Adding a little bit of everything, while also putting goodies such as titles / cheaper stronghold purchases tied into the reputation system is a really good idea that keeps players engaged if it's done right.

It sounds so much better than "run a flashpoint 10 times in solo / story....". We get that development time is limited to the resources you have in Austin, and that introducing a multitude of new content can be problematic. BioWare really need to get past this stage though.

Also....

Any week the gearing continues to be broken means fewer returning players. The gearing grind needs to be nerfed ASAP if you insist on not separating PvP from PvE gear. Why don't you understand this? :(

I haven't always agreed with Jerba on a multitude of topics, this however is absolutely spot on the mark. GC gearing and the "fixes" put forth to date, simply don't cut it. I came back to see how the changes implemented had changed things in this area, and even with the event CXP boost it is still as awful and now even more convoluted system than it was previously.

Nice to see bolster is being increased, but it shouldn't have even got to this stage to require that.

....and gearing is still awful....

:(

Edited by Transcendent

• Dev Post
But less than what? What is the price that is being reduced? If there's no way to pay full price, why are they using the language of a reduced cost?

Something in my brain is short-circuited.

Probably not my best word choice :p. By reduced I mean you can then purchase it for "less than you would usually pay for Stronghold." I'll work on getting the specific costs out soon™ (next week?) so you can see them first hand.

-eric

Probably not my best word choice :p. By reduced I mean you can then purchase it for "less than you would usually pay for Stronghold." I'll work on getting the specific costs out soon™ (next week?) so you can see them first hand.

-eric

Needs more wording work. Say I only buy Dk or Coruscant Strongholds. Say I also only buy them during game anniversary months. That means I usually pay 3, 4 or 5 credits :p

Also without any base value for stronghold pixels, a "discounted price" is the same as "Charge whatever and say it was initially going to be more." .

Edited by docbenwayddo

Follow-up to Master Mode Ops Drops - Based on your feedback from the discussion thread, we are planning to add Unassembled Components to Master Mode boss drops with GU 5.5.

Are you kidding me? Unassembled components?

Why are you making it so hard to get gear for NiM players? You need the 248 gear to progress in these ops. You can't hope to take on the last boss without full 248 gear.

Edited by SithLordZach

-eric

Thanks.

-eric

But can you get it for free with enough currency?

Hey folks,

• Follow-up on Bolster discussion - It was clear from the discussion thread that most of you would like to see Bolster go as high as possible, while still meeting our teams goal of having gear progression be relevant. We will be increasing Bolsters to 242 in PvP for GU 5.5 as well.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

What does "GU 5.5," mean? Are we getting the bolster change in 5.4 or not?

[*]Follow-up on Bolster discussion - It was clear from the discussion thread that most of you would like to see Bolster go as high as possible, while still meeting our teams goal of having gear progression be relevant. We will be increasing Bolsters to 242 in PvP for GU 5.5 as well.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Why 5.5 and not 5.4? How hard is to change one value (i suppose it's one, because it is logical, right? ;) ) like you did back in 5.1? :rak_02:

Also it's only up to 242... and you still need to grind 3 tiers for months to get 248 in PvP. Meh.

Edited by Glower

Follow-up to Master Mode Ops Drops - Based on your feedback from the discussion thread, we are planning to add Unassembled Components to Master Mode boss drops with GU 5.5.

I wanted to voice my displeasure over your most recent announcement on the forums.

You said that NiM ops will be dropping unassembled components in the future.

You are so far off the mark with what your players are crying out for that it is very frustrating and disheartening.

Only a very select few of your players are capable of running NiM ops. Those of us that devote our time to doing so do not feel as if our time is being adequately rewarded. Removing on-tier unassembled gear piece drops from NiM bosses makes NiM progression impossibly difficult.

Making the new drops components rather than gear tokens is just a slap in the face. It shows that you know what the problem is, but that you are unwilling to fix it. it shows that you care more about not upsetting your PVP players than you do fairly rewarding your PVE players.

It is literally impossible to gear a character for NiM last bosses without having to slog through PVP or grind up 300 levels of Galactic Conquest. It usually can take progression teams weeks or months to fully gear up a group when we are all vying for the same gear pieces, but your system and even the future system means it will take even longer.

Many of us have been playing your game since launch. I was a beta tester and have been playing it even longer.

We are begging you to please restore NiM drops to a single unassembled 248 gear piece token.

Please.

We want to play this game. We want to keep paying our subscriptions. Your treatment of NiM raiders is making us not want to play anymore, and we are amongst your most loyal fans.

But less than what? What is the price that is being reduced? If there's no way to pay full price, why are they using the language of a reduced cost?

Something in my brain is short-circuited.

Edit - i see it's been answered above lol.

I think it's "less than" buying as an example nar shadaa via vendor on fleet. So, (made up numbers lol) if nar shadaa was 1 mill creds to buy, the new SH would be half a mill with FP key.

The vendor that is selling the "magical, illusive key", must I assume sell other items. Please let it not be like Ziost or the manaan vendors. Honestly, make it worthwhile to visit them and have lots of decorations to buy, otherwise the vendors might as well just be "key drops at end of killing the 10th attempt FP boss".

I actually love how Rishi has the "vendor market square". Rishi is a great planet for design IMHO. All the vendors vying for trade, that felt natural and made sense. It's just a shame that nobody high level needs to go back there as few items are usable other than cosmetics. Possibly re-look at vendors on each planet and add a few items to make a repeat visit worthwhile.

Edited by everclearisalive

[*]Follow-up to Master Mode Ops Drops - Based on your feedback from the discussion thread, we are planning to add Unassembled Components to Master Mode boss drops with GU 5.5.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

What?? Really?? Well honestly its a nice gesture, but if you guys viewed PVP gearing as you view PVE gearing, then those same unassembled components would only be given out to say the Top 10% of Ranked PVP'ers.

Typical unranked warzones aren't even in the same galaxy as MM Operations, in either difficulty or time invested.

I was super excited for Manaan until I tried to decorate it. I'm not sure about the other servers, but the Ebon Hawk economy is completely out of control. It would take hundreds of millions of credits (not an exaggeration) to decorate it beyond the basic chairs and basic things you get from the vendors. So now here comes another Stronghold that I won't be able to afford to decorate.

It is so frustrating not to be able to customize our characters or our strongholds with all the damage inflicted on the economy: 30 million credit bronze armor sets. That fun little dance emote? 3 million credits and rising. Those cute little silver boots that would tie everything together? There's only one pair left at 60 million credits. Oops, no... now that's not even listed anymore.

I have no idea how to fix a game economy. But I hope you can find one. It is restrictive. It is frustrating. And it makes future SH releases as about as exciting as tax day.

Maybe increase the pace, breadth and width of your direct sales?

That doesn't fix the problem, but at least it gives me a realistic option.

You're on a roll today! :cool:

The idea here is to reduce the cost of buying a stronghold by using your investment in time to lower the overall acquisition cost versus paying the full pop with either Cartel Coins or credits. We thought, hey, let's try something new where an activity you'd do anyway, you could benefit from your efforts and obtain a key from a currency you automatically get by running the Flashpoint.

Unless we change it before release, 10x for Story/solo mode, or 6x for Veteran, or 3x for Master Mode will give you enough currency to buy the Key from the vendor. What I don't know, yet, is the reduction amount for credits or Cartel Coins. Soon as that gets finalized, we'll post it up.

Keith---

This is actually a really neat way to introduce a stronghold. Make it part of the story and the game play and have to earn it like other content rewards, with a reduced credits/CC cost to fully unlock. And the number of times to repeat the flashpoint being ten times (10x) story/solo to have enough currency to purchase the key is a very reasonable and doable requirement. This would be a great to see as a sort of theme going forward, doing content and such to earn reductions on planets where a Stronghold is present to acquire said stronghold. Sounds like a fun idea and looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Not to mention the idea of a moving train as a stronghold sounds brilliant so keep it up Keith, loving what you n the team are doing with the game

PS: Some of those requests for hints on if/when companions that have yet to return will be doing so would be awesome (especially Kira Carson and Mako and Ashara)

Edited by DarthVampirous

@Keith, thank you for the information, I am very very excited for this update to release! This Stronghold, I really hope will bring back some old memories, however, I'm still concerned on how it'll look mentioning the "Train" statement.

However, I think this stronghold will be quite unique seeing how we'll have to run the Flashpoint several times in order to obtain enough currency to obtain the key to it.

But I do have a question related to that, once we get the key to the stronghold, will we need to obtain several More keys in order to Fully unlock the stronghold, or is it just the One key that unlocks it and then you can pay for the rest of the stronghold?

On another statement, a new Vendor? Ohh, please tell me there will be some exciting Umbaran theme Decorations, or at leas the Umbaran Tank as a mount? I'd love to control that, we never got to see those during the time of Clone Wars Adventures, but this will be a truly new and exciting experience!!

Keith and Eric, thanks for the update. I'm still holding out hope for legacy UCs, but increased dailies is much appreciated nonetheless. The new SH sounds good too. I'm not a big PVE fan, but I'll be running some Umbarra for sure. Maybe that was the intention? Anyways, have a great weekend.

@Keith

You can never catch a break, can you? Hope you take what the posts say they want vs how they say it...

I like the SH idea, though it would be cool if after having to grind for the initial purchase you could have the option of either paying for expansions or grinding more currency to save yourself some credits. I'll go the credit route for sure, but It would be nice for pref to have the ability to fully unlock a SH without subbing, by filling groups, etc.

If the NiM ops offer substantial components (I assume to everyone, not something they roll on) you *really* need to make them legacy. Otherwise you're further locking us into not playing alts (which at this point should be the main toons needing gear). Legacy will also hopefully soften the blow to PvPers, who will probably not enjoy their gearing system bleeding into PvE.

I love the TRAIN idea for unlock! That's a great new way for folks to have options to unlock.

Some concerns / questions:

1. Legacy UC's? Hinted, but no confirmation yet.
  2. GSF feedback and any changes coming?
  3. I see GU 5.5 on several items (Is that a typo and supposed to be 5.4 or do we wait until cycle for 5.5)?
  4. If 5.5 - why so long to fix loot table on NIM boss fights (You guys should have done that months ago)
  5. GSF seeing any boost in UC's (So far the it appears to be a NO) seems very PVP lopsided
  6. Will the New Stronghold count for CQ Bonus? So I think its like 150% now and it would be like 125%?
  7. Any correction to Class Changes from 5.3? (i.e. Buffing the silly over nerfs)
  8. Match making in PVP/GSF? We going to see any improvements in that area?
  9. Double CXP or increase to Legacy CXP Bonus?
  10. Legacy wide CXP being rolled out by any chance?