Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

Im sorry, but this seems really strange to me...

In the thread made yesterday http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=691258#edit691258 bioware announced the weekly maintenance and that they would try their best to keep these weekly maintenance's on off peak-hours.

And that seems correct in the US, but in europe the time is 10AM to 4PM.... How is that in anyway during off peak-hours. Its in the middle off the day.

They even have physical servers in europe so why cant we have maintenance on those servers when its the best time for us and not when its the best time for the US?

I really dont understand their reasoning for this and its rather annoying knowing that the servers will be unavailable every tuesday afternoon.

Hopefully we can get some clarification on this or maybe its just me overreacting?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there, everyone! We have recreated this thread, as the previous discussion went over 1,000 posts. We wanted to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please remember that users are allowed to disagree with one another - repeatedly telling others to "stay on topic" or stating you are ignoring them is not constructive or conducive to healthy discussion. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone is respectful and polite to each other while giving their opinions. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.

• Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being a troll, don’t feed them. Simply do not reply and report (flag) the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.

Thanks for your understanding, and please enjoy your friendly discussion!

And that seems correct in the US, but in europe the time is 10AM to 4PM.... How is that in anyway during off peak-hours. Its in the middle off the day.

Most people in Europe work "in the middle of the day", which makes it, by definition off peak-hours for an online game (that is something people don't generally do while working, yanno).

Don't you? :rolleyes:

Off-Peak:

adj.

Not in the period of most frequent or heaviest use

Only Bioware has the raw data on what times in what parts of the world their game gets the least amount of use. Based on their position and their repeated posts about ensuring "that the weekly maintenance period to takes place in an off-peak time for both North American and European players," i'd say 10AM to 4PM probably falls into off-peak as far as SWTOR goes.

Either that, or as some like to claim Bioware really hates any customer that doesn't live in the U.S. and is actively trying to drive you away from their game.

I'll let you decide for yourself which is more likely.

Edit: If you folks really want to convince Bioware that the current maintenance is actually during your peak hours, I suggest providing them with some data on concurrent players in Europe at various times, check numbers on your server any day but tuesday during that time, compare with your server late at night. Keep doing this for a month or so. Or send them a petition with a hefty number of signatures. Otherwise, i'd say they've decided that this is the time that inconveniences the smallest number of people.

Edited by PuddingHead

You do get used to it... For us in Oz it starts at 6:30pm. :confused: I can't think of any mmo's that I have played where we aren't effected.

The thing that irks me about swtor is the incredibly rediculous about of time the servers are down for. 6 - 8 hours... bah

Edited by Compote

I honestly wouldn't keep flogging this horse. BW know we are not happy bunnies about this, many sugestions have been made [cough]rotation of maintenance windows[/cough].

Personally I see it changing in March (?) when the game is officially released in Upsidedown land (Aus/NZ) as I doubt they can palm 8pm server downs on them.

Of course this means, if they can do it in one region they can damn well do it in another ^^:cool:

Edited by Vastalee
removed quote

I honestly wouldn't keep flogging this horse. BW know we are not happy bunnies about this, many sugestions have been made [cough]rotation of maintenance windows[/cough].

Personally I see it changing in March (?) when the game is officially released in Upsidedown land (Aus/NZ) as I doubt they can palm 8pm server downs on them.

Of course this means, if they can do it in one region they can damn well do it in another ^^:cool:

I dunno. Blizzard doesn't have a separate maintenance window for Aussies and they seem to be doing just fine. What makes you think BioWare won't keep the same maintenance times?

Edited by Vastalee
removed part of quote

I don't know about you, but between 10am and 4pm I'm at work, so unlikely to be playing games. I suspect the same goes for a lot of other people, they're either going to be at work/school/college/uni/whatever. I would argue that it actually is off-peak for Europe. Peak time for Europe will be late afternoon and in to the evening, when everyone gets home.

I dunno. Blizzard doesn't have a separate maintenance window for Aussies and they seem to be doing just fine. What makes you think BioWare won't keep the same maintenance times?

Ah thought they did, as an EU player I wouldnt know, region locked client etc!

I don't know about you, but between 10am and 4pm I'm at work...

Operative word I'm.

Admitadly as an unemplyed bum - damn you economic crisis - means I have more time on my hands, I would love to see a night time maintenance.

Eitherway, not something I'm gonna cry over - there's always a a book to read, film to watch, blog to do, podcast to record, game to review ^^

No, from what i hear blizzard isn't the only one.

The downtime does affect peak hours of east europeans, perhaps it does'nt affect the bulk of EU, but again, why cant they offer such a basic feature as split down times for different time zones, specially when the servers are already divided by time zone and area? So why not do it during the lowest amount of people are playing?

"Off-peak" is so vague.. peak hour might be 9pm-10pm which means they can do maintenance from 10pm till 9pm the next day and still claim they're doing maintenance off peak hours..

I dont think anyone said they "hate" non US subscribers, we're saying they're offering us a lower quality service for a steeper price, and as mentioned, this is just one of the services i feel where they are sub par.. it seems customer support itself isn't one of their strong suits

Most people in Europe work "in the middle of the day", which makes it, by definition off peak-hours for an online game (that is something people don't generally do while working, yanno).

Don't you? :rolleyes:

Off peak is in the middle of the night.

And no, i dont work in the middle of the day when im not working, which is 243 days every year since i spend the rest of the days physically at the workplace.

Since this comes up on nearly every MMO release, can some Europeans detail US based MMOs that have their maintenance windows set at times that cater to European times?

Honestly I'm not trolling, I'm curious as I see it come up all the time, and I wonder if it's ever actually been changed/addressed. Equally honest, I have little to no empathy as I would expect a European MMO to base its maintenance around their time schedule, not mine.

This is less about the actual hours of the maintenance and more the fact pretty much every single MMO out there splits up it's maintenance days so that the Europeans get it over and done with early in the morning by splitting the US/EU maintenance to take place on separate days.

It just baffles me why they insist on not following a PERFECTLY FINE AND WORKABLE trend.

is Blizzard the only company that actually have EU maintenance times?

No, but blizzard has their EU and NA servers separated so one can not log into the other. I would hate those playing on an EU server logging into my server on their maintenance day as much as they would hate me logging into theirs.

So until they split it up to eliminate ques if BW goes separate maintenance days. I say one day for all is the best way.

Demand separate maintenance days and the segregation of the NA and EU communities just like Blizzard does.

No, but blizzard has their EU and NA servers separated so one can not log into the other. I would hate those playing on an EU server logging into my server on their maintenance day as much as they would hate me logging into theirs.

So until they split it up to eliminate ques if BW goes separate maintenance days. I say one day for all is the best way.

Demand separate maintenance days and the segregation of the NA and EU communities just like Blizzard does.

How many people, realistically, do you think are:

- Playing during the EU night?

- Willing to move over to a US server for the duration of the night to start all over on a new server?

- Don't already play on US servers to begin with if they have, say, night jobs?

I'm willing to bet money on mass migration during maintenance times being a fallacious argument.