[Legacy in 2.8] & beyond: compendium

Deewe

A search on the suggestion forums for the term "legacy" in the title, returns 500 threads.

So as a try to concatenate the most asked or discussed ideas here's a revisited version of [Legacy in 1.3] & beyond: compendium

Bugs

• Turn off the legacy creation name screen popup.
  • Turn off the legacy rename popup
  • Turn off the legacy blinking rename icon

Specifically about the legacy trees the requests are:

1. More links types:
    • Adopted sibling (for if you are not making characters of the parents)
    • Aunt/Uncle
    • Cousin
    • Twin
    • Mentor or Master
    • Slave (could add a strike-through for former slave, for Inquisitors especially)
    • Alias of
    • Unaware of Existence
    • Friends (vs Ally)
    • Enemies (vs Rival)
    • *Or (better?) a blank field filled by the player

[*]Not limiting link as (Adopted)Child for the links in the middle of the legacy tree (ie: not flat legacy)

[*]Keeping dead (i.e.: deleted) characters in the tree

[*]Cross server Legacy

[*]Link legacies to characters of others players

[*]More than one legacy tree per server, with ability to link them

[*]Add companions to the legacy tree

Interestingly enough players want to use the Legacy feature between their characters for sharing:

1. Cargo hold/Secret stash (Cf strongholds Legacy Storage for non BoP item)
  2. Credits pool
  3. Datacron unlocks
  4. Codex entries unlocks
  5. Social ranks
  6. Titles
  7. Crew Skills (Send other character companions on crafting missions)
  8. Gear (Might come in Legacy Storage someday)
    • Heirloom for leveling
    • Wardrobes for look

[*]Space ship chassis

[*]Legacy Unlocks: choice of smaller fee for individual characters or more expensive for legacy-wide.

[*]Quick travel points.

[*]Reveal know maps

[*]Planetary commendations.

Now about the new stuff, players are suggesting, new:

1. Body customization (Hair / face / jewelry / tattoo...)
  2. Speeders (multiplayer & character + companion)
  3. Armor decals
  4. Multi-Pet: bring out more than 1 pet at a time.
  5. Linguist: Your character may now speak in alien language during cut-scenes
  6. Reset all class quests for a caped character & automatically adjust quests difficulty
  7. Defect to the opposite faction and keep your class (*might not work when raising the level cap)
  8. Call in your spaceship to do a stafing or bombing run on your enemy.

For convenience features we have the following entries:

• Travel
    • "Home Point" bind option for quick travel ability
    • Speeder speed increase (just make all speeders way faster!)
    • Increase a specific speeder locked speed to next tier
    • Faster Quicktravel cool down
    • Group Transport: shuttle group members to leader location
    • Increase sprint speed
    • Add a /burst feature allowing to get away from a fight
    • Speeder armoring (Increases the amount of damage your speeder takes before exploding)
    • On the run mounting: you can summon your vehicle without stopping. The speeder would zoom in from behind, you jump on it, and continue forward without ever stopping.

[*]Manage our emails with our datapad from anywhere

[*]Access to the GTN with our datapad from anywhere

[*]Companions send (or pickup) mail packages from the space ship for the player

[*]Companions sell items for the player, both to traders and the GTN

[*]Increase duration for listing GTN Items (ex: 5 days, 7 days, 10 days)

[*]Increase max number of Items for sale per character on the GTN

[*]Discount for Credit Deposit on Item Sale

[*]Check mail on other characters

[*]Drop mission items directly in the bank vs inventory

[*]Dedicated crafting bags and bank slots.

[*]Companion buy mats automatically

[*]Being able to use crafting-restricted items

[*]Reduced money sinks fees

[*]Use the Ship Holoterminal to have all your level faction fleet dailies and weeklies to save time on the fleet

[*]Ship augment table (Will come in Legacy Storage for Strongholds)

[*]Being able to change a BoP item into a Bind On legacY (BoY)

[*]Legacy Name as a pre-title.

[*]Manage crafting & missions for all companions through a centralized UI

[*]Manage all companions and character gear through a centralized UI

[*]Queuing a character for any instanced content while playing an alt solo

[*]Increase chance to crit on every crew mission

[*]Summon a droid that loots items for you from killed enemies

[*]Advanced Holocommunicator:: 'turn in' any completed quest via your holocummunicator.

[*]Rename pet(s)

[*]Mascot: pets gives a presence bonus

[*]Legacy (ship?) communication center: allow player to join global channel

On the companion system:

1. Players have requested to be able to change their companions name with a nickname and toggle which of the name/nickname to display.
  2. It seems sharing companions between alts is really looked after. (ie: playing Mako with a Sith Warrior or why not a Smuggler.)
  3. Being able to use 2 companions at once, mostly was requested to solo some instances.
  4. And finally really being able to edit the companions body through a character creation tool
  5. Customized companions should have the portraits change to the new customization
  6. Mule: your companion and/or pet can hold additional items for you

About classes now:

• Multi-specs
  • AC to AC respec

New ideas welcome!

Edited by Deewe

I would wholeheartedly support more branching Legacy Tree. I want my character to have for example Two Rivals and one ally and one sibling. I cannot do that with current system. Or have something like this

Char 1 --ally --> char 2|                               /sibling                  ally|                           /char 3 _ _ _ _ _ /

Awful text representation by me

Lot of these ideas are not really tied to legacy, and there are some things I would not like to see, because i believe they are just breaking immersion or some other reason. I will go over the list and say my thoughts on some of the points.

Sharing

1. Item stash will come with Strongholds
  2. Credit stash might also come with strongholds, depending if LS will be more like Cargo Bay or Guild Bank.
  3. Datacron unlocks are thing few people demand every so often, but I think that is not really a great idea. Getting those you need for your class (mainstat, endurance, presence) is not that much work. Plus getting them motivates people to walk around the world, not just sit on fleet
  4. Codex entries I can imagine, however, not sure what would the point be (I will admit i like reading, but I never found the time to read it all)
  5. Social and Valor ranks are thing that should IMO remain character specific, as it can be used to see how much group content/wz you ran. Maybe put a Social requirement on buying the social gear, but make it BoL and not need the rank to use.
  6. Titles are, again, things that represent what did that character do. For example, by Inquisitor can never become Baroness of Alderaan, so why should she get the title. We have legacy titles for many global things.
  7. Achievements are already legacy bound, AFAIK, so I do not understand the meaning here.
  8. Crew skills are easily triggered by sending characters by switching characters. It also help to maintain some sort of balance, so that you cannot have 5 +crit companions, which I think is done by design.
  9. Gear can already be done by BoL stuff, and there are "leveling" legacy gear tokens
  10. Swapping ships, assuming it would only be the outside skin, might be possible, however, not interiors, which have crapload of animations and cutscenes in them that would need to be reworked for very little gain.
  11. Legacy unlocks already exist on several CM Perks, and other unlocks have been legacy wide since start
  12. Quick Travel Points (see Maps below)
  13. Maps, possibly as a reward for those with Galactic Explorer achievement.
  14. Planetary commendation pool might be an interesting idea, even though it cal already be circumvented by buying and sending by mail. And Planetary comms are easy to get in KDY anyway.

New stuff

1. I already said in your other thread that I would fully welcome more customizations
  2. Group speeders or companion speeder would be great
  3. Armor decals might be nice
  4. We can already have 2 pets (ground+air) at one time. More would probably just cause needless lag
  5. Not sure why would someone want to speak alien in cutscenes. However, SW universe is pretty vague on how do languages work. either there are universal translators, or our characters speak at least three languages, Basic, Droid and Huttese.
  6. Repeating class quests would be awesome. Even with choices locked in (which would make sense, as it would probably be "remembering from holorecords"
  7. Actual defection (playing with Jedi on Imperial fleet, for example) was already stated by devs to be impossible, because their heads would explode while trying to account for all the possible storylines, depending when you would defect. There are character that can "defect" to Republic during their storyline, but they still remain Imperials, from gameplay standpoint
  8. Bombing runs are thing unique to Smugglers. However, it might be a nice Legacy ability during Heroic Moments.

Convenience

• Travel
    • Home Point - sort of done with Strongholds, you can QT to them from anywhere it seems
    • Faster Speeders - IMO not needed except on Tatooine and Hoth.
    • QT can already be reduced to 10 minutes, which is quite reasonable, IMO
    • Transport to Leader would be great, and was in some very early build, I believe (crafted by cybertech as a homing becaon)
    • Sprint is already fast enough IMO
    • Not sure what is meant by /burst, escaping from combat can be done already by running until mobs evade
    • Armored speeders, could be nice
    • Activate speeders while on the run would also be nice

[*]We already can summon a portable mailbox, but something else might not be bad idea

[*]Portable GTN, again, might not be a bad idea

[*]Comps picking up mail, sort of pointless with portable mailbox

[*]Comps selling items - maybe add a "mark as junk" option for items, so they would be sold by "Sell trash". Selling on GTN, again, pointless with portable GTN, and would probably be too complicated to set up for many people

[*]Longer GTN, sure

[*]Increased limit on selling is not needed IMO, 50 seems enough

[*]Dropping crew skill rewards in bank would be great, especially with legacy bank

[*]Money sinks exist for a reason, I think that messing with them is not needed

[*]Unified terminal might not be a bad idea

[*]Many BoP can be transfered to BoL, if it has mods

Companions

• Switching companions. I think that would not work, because each companion has a story and reasons why he or she follows a player. Why would Aric Jorgan join up with Warrior, or Khem with Trooper, for example?
  • Complete editing would not be a great idea IMO. Maybe some variations, yes, but something that would keep with the general look and feel of the companion.
  • Reflecting customization in icon would be great
  • Mule, that is a tricky one, we already have pretty big bag space, so technically companions are also carrying stuff. And it would be awful to remember what companion has what items stored on him

Classes

• Multispec, maybe, for a price
  • AC switch, hell no, you can preview what the class does, you are warned several times it is permanent, etc...

Edited by Aries_cz

I would wholeheartedly support more branching Legacy Tree.

Kind of adding multi branching to he flat legacy.

Lot of these ideas are not really tied to legacy

Many would fit the CM, still the legacy can be the way to implement them as making them available only for one or for all characters at once.

Datacron unlocks are thing few people demand every so often, but I think that is not really a great idea. Getting those you need for your class (mainstat, endurance, presence) is not that much work. Plus getting them motivates people to walk around the world, not just sit on fleet

Honestly I don't know, on my 9yh character it's getting a bit tedious to get them...

Maybe make it so you can only get this perk for the datacrons that at least 2 characters have unlocked.

Maybe put a Social requirement on buying the social gear, but make it BoL and not need the rank to use.

Interesting idea.

Titles are, again, things that represent what did that character do. For example, by Inquisitor can never become Baroness of Alderaan, so why should she get the title. We have legacy titles for many global things.

Right, not sure the entry is that needed in 2.8 and beyond now.

Will keep it as is until further feedback.

Crew skills are easily triggered by sending characters by switching characters. It also help to maintain some sort of balance, so that you cannot have 5 +crit companions, which I think is done by design.

Well the idea was not to have to keep switching between characters for crafting. I know it makes sense in the regard MMO handle crafting per charcters still it was one of the most asked feature by crafters with alts.

Gear can already be done by BoL stuff, and there are "leveling" legacy gear tokens

Still not as "good" as heirloom and more cumbersome than gear tabs or wardrobes.

Swapping ships, assuming it would only be the outside skin, might be possible, however, not interiors, which have crapload of animations and cutscenes in them that would need to be reworked for very little gain.

People who want to change space ships don't mind about the animations, still you are right it would oblige players to go back to their former ship for story parts.

Planetary commendation pool might be an interesting idea, even though it cal already be circumvented by buying and sending by mail. And Planetary comms are easy to get in KDY anyway.

Just making the system more convenient I guess.

[*]We can already have 2 pets (ground+air) at one time. More would probably just cause needless lag

Personally I'd love to have a pair of ground pets vs 1+1 but would need to tweak the pet handling functions.

Not sure why would someone want to speak alien in cutscenes. However, SW universe is pretty vague on how do languages work. either there are universal translators, or our characters speak at least three languages, Basic, Droid and Huttese.

Guess for some people it's a matter of immersion.

Actual defection (playing with Jedi on Imperial fleet, for example) was already stated by devs to be impossible, because their heads would explode while trying to account for all the possible storylines, depending when you would defect. There are character that can "defect" to Republic during their storyline, but they still remain Imperials, from gameplay standpoint

Very tricky feature as long as there's a possibility to have V.O. story added.

Bombing runs are thing unique to Smugglers. However, it might be a nice Legacy ability during Heroic Moments.

Sold ;)

Faster Speeders - IMO not needed except on Tatooine and Hoth.

And I would make Tatooine and Hoth at least twice as big and like 10 times less cluttered!

Speeder speed are fine for 19th era or turtles on steroids, in other games my characters run faster than the speeders.

Not sure what is meant by /burst, escaping from combat can be done already by running until mobs evade

You can't as they snare, stun you.

Selling on GTN, again, pointless with portable GTN, and would probably be too complicated to set up for many people

Well the idea is to make it much more convenient to sell gear on the GTN. This way it would tremendously increase the volume of available items on the GTN, making it so much more friendly to players looking for gear.

Many BoP can be transfered to BoL, if it has mods

You can transfer the mods not the look of a gear piece

Switching companions. I think that would not work, because each companion has a story and reasons why he or she follows a player. Why would Aric Jorgan join up with Warrior, or Khem with Trooper, for example?

Because not all story has to be written down by the devs. On a client side let players decide how they'd like it go.

Especially with the legacy system there's nothing wrong with your agent and BH being involved one with the other and renting or making friend of one of the other companion.

Complete editing would not be a great idea IMO. Maybe some variations, yes, but something that would keep with the general look and feel of the companion.

As a starter pretty sure 100% of the player base would be more than happy to totally redo the look of at least one of their companions.

Then some of us are totally against having our hands tied by the devs.

It's nice to do so for those who like a guided tour, but for some the way the devs designed some characters look don't fit at all how we'd like them. I'd go further even changing sex and species but then you have problem with the companions quests and voices.

Multispec, maybe, for a price

Is there anything free in this game? ;)

]AC switch, hell no, you can preview what the class does, you are warned several times it is permanent, etc...

Just parsing what was asked, won't open the can of worm here ;)