Role of the tank

I am new to tanking and am finding it difficult to keep the aggro. I have a lvl 19 jugg but it seems that even though I am specing towards aggro building and surviving, most times I get in groups where the DPS guys are throwing AoE's and pulling the aggro from me. Is this because I am a low level? Also, I thought that the tank attacks first to get the aggro and the DPS focus on bringing the target down. The groups I am going into are running around like its every man for himself and neglecting the team as a whole. Am I wrong? If so, what is the correct way to run these fp's? Do I need to explain before the missions starts each individuals responsibility?

I am new to tanking and am finding it difficult to keep the aggro. I have a lvl 19 jugg but it seems that even though I am specing towards aggro building and surviving, most times I get in groups where the DPS guys are throwing AoE's and pulling the aggro from me. Is this because I am a low level? Also, I thought that the tank attacks first to get the aggro and the DPS focus on bringing the target down. The groups I am going into are running around like its every man for himself and neglecting the team as a whole. Am I wrong? If so, what is the correct way to run these fp's? Do I need to explain before the missions starts each individuals responsibility?

I wouldn't worry about this as a low level. You won't feel like a proper tank until you're in your 30's. As for DPS running around and pulling fights, once again, not too much of a problem at low levels, but if they die than feel free to tell them to not pull. Essentially the tank should be attacking first and aggroing the main boss and adds if possible. DPS should be killing ads and then burning the boss.

At the start of the flashpoint I usually check and see if everyone has done it before, and if not, I'll explain the boss fights to them before we pull.

I understand the frustration having my main be a tank also. However, during runs being at the lower levels and when i'm on a dps toon which i am leveling, I admittedly am one of the ones which pulls ahead just to keep things rolling because a good portion of us know every aspect of each of the flashpoints. Were not trying to aggravate the tank in the group, its just that were trying to pull the next group to you so there is pretty much no downtime. Its the difference between taking an hour and a half to do a flashpoint and taking a half hour.

But with that said, I know what to expect and where to stand in order to LOS each of the groups i'm pulling so I don't end up being a stain on the floor. Also before I do this, I have already checked the healer to make sure she is able to handle another round of healing.

Best way to stay sane as a tank is to have some sort of relationship with the players you're with so you both know what each other is trying to do, guild or friends.

If you work with random people you need to be ready to take care of surprises.

But 19 is no level at all, you don't have all your tools yet so control is very very sketchy even if you know what you want to do you probably can't yet.

Normally when I do low level group content, I really don’t worry about it. I let the tank pull, but without an aggro dump, I am going to normally pull within a few seconds. This is annoying to me since I try to play correctly no matter the situation, but it is just the way it is. So while leveling my sage and bh, I just do whatever, I will let the tank pull, when/if I pull I will turn the boss away from the group. I will off heal if needed, basically I will do whatever I can for the group to win. That is all you can do in lower level group content. It should not be a free for all, but due to the lack of abilities roles are not as clearly defined, so while the team should have some coordination and everyone should follow a proper kill order, you have to remain adaptable to the situation because of the roles lack of abilities and even the groups lack of knowledge about the abilities they do have.

Once you get to a level where you have proper tank abilities and healers have proper healing abilities, if dps is pulling any and everything without you. Whisper the healer to allow the dps tank and then you both set back and watch them die. They will learn quickly to let the tank pull or you and the healer can kick them, dps is a dime a dozen.

I understand the frustration having my main be a tank also. However, during runs being at the lower levels and when i'm on a dps toon which i am leveling, I admittedly am one of the ones which pulls ahead just to keep things rolling because a good portion of us know every aspect of each of the flashpoints. Were not trying to aggravate the tank in the group, its just that were trying to pull the next group to you so there is pretty much no downtime. Its the difference between taking an hour and a half to do a flashpoint and taking a half hour.

But with that said, I know what to expect and where to stand in order to LOS each of the groups i'm pulling so I don't end up being a stain on the floor. Also before I do this, I have already checked the healer to make sure she is able to handle another round of healing.

This is pretty much true. I have two tanks and one DPS and the only issue I ever took in lower FPs was when a DPS was always flying ahead and getting himself killed. With the damage they deliver compared to you and your lack of aoe aggro, especially as a lower level Jugg, your real focus is only the highest level enemy in the fight. Pull what you can, but above all keep the silver, gold starts, and bosses on you and if others get away it's no biggie.

Now, if you have a DPS initiating once you hit Red Reaper or so you probably won't have to say a word anyway as most likely the healer will let him/her have it. If all reasonable discussions fail just let the Rambo, Call of Duty-style DPS eat it a few times and he'll either figure out that his play style gets him dead and change or he'll quit, either way your problem's solved.

I pretty much agree with everything said here, but just wanted to add another point that I've had to learn the hard way through tanking endgame:

It's the tank's job to pull and the DPS are supposed to wait, but as you've experienced, that's not always going to be the case. Instead of getting upset about the DPS not letting you do your job, take it as a challenge to yourself to run in and save them (*). Learning how to collect and hold aggro against the DPS is a key skill for a tank to cultivate, especially of the AOE variety. Turn them being stupid into the opportunity to learn how to play your own character better.

And hey, they still may die, despite it all. And if they do and complain, you at least can note you tried to save them, but that they ultimately died from their own stupidity, not lack of effort on your part. It turns it into less you vs. them and more them vs. themselves. :p

(*) - From my experience, it's not uncommon for the DPS to pull aggro off a tank during an Operation, or for things to go sideways due to stupid mistakes, even by experienced players. Learning how to react when things don't go 100% perfect is an invaluable skill to have in tanking endgame.

Edited by AlixMV

(*) - From my experience, it's not uncommon for the DPS to pull aggro off a tank during an Operation, or for things to go sideways due to stupid mistakes, even by experienced players. Learning how to react when things don't go 100% perfect is an invaluable skill to have in tanking endgame.

And during these times, its handy to keybind your taunts but then again, if its a dps that knows how to react, they have their threat dump ability handy (unless their threat dump is completle useless :( )

And during these times, its handy to keybind your taunts but then again, if its a dps that knows how to react, they have their threat dump ability handy (unless their threat dump is completle useless :( )

I did quite a bit of testing on my gunslinger with a friendly tank. In practise if rDPS pulls aggro dump doesn't help if the tank doesn't taunt back. Also there is always issue of guardian DPS - their aggro dump is too costly to use preventively.