SWTOR Flirting Table

DomiSotto

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knights can bang that chick on the starter planet (Raana). But then she stabs them in the back which turns them to the dark side - it's all very shakespearian or episode iii-ish.

...and female knights can become her 'sister' and receive darkside points for it. That one baffled me.

I did notice that my agent is able to use her sexuality as yet another weapon in her arsenal, and I like that. I understand my jedis are prudes, and that's fine, but it's a little insulting that my counselor is given the option to 'lift her petticoat' to any guy that calls her pretty. I get that writers were men, but surely they've at least talked to a woman before? When I got around to playing a smuggler I expected her to be able to flirt her way out of (and into) situations too but I've been disappointed so far. I have not finished all the class stories yet, but so far two of my characters are in sham marriages (bounty hunter and agent) and are given the option to bang/marry the one available guy in their crew. I know it will never make it into the game, but my bounty hunter is saving herself for Mako.

Edited by Jessabeans

Is there a way to piss off companions to break the romance cycle?

That idiot Beiber Fett companion (Torian) is after my BH, and I've never done the flirts or given him any romance gifts. Now all of a sudden I've got some idiot conversation where he's all "I love you" and I can't tell him to bugger off.

I'm about to punt him out an airlock.

If I start picking conversation options that he doesn't like and drop his affection rating, will that kill it?

Edited by Valethar

Here is a link to someone very nice compiling the list of Flirts. Yeah, poor Female Consular. :(

http://bastat.tripod.com/flirting_in_swtor.htm

Doesn't look like the Consular ones are finished, because they left out the companion flirts...you have the option to flirt with 2 male comps, and marry one of them. But compared to others, yeah, JC is pretty scant...which makes JC even more dull to play, in addition to the dull story.

Is there a way to piss off companions to break the romance cycle?

That idiot Beiber Fett companion (Torian) is after my BH, and I've never done the flirts or given him any romance gifts. Now all of a sudden I've got some idiot conversation where he's all "I love you" and I can't tell him to bugger off.

I'm about to punt him out an airlock.

If I start picking conversation options that he doesn't like and drop his affection rating, will that kill it?

I think if you refuse to flirt with them three times, they stop flirting. At least this is what happened with Jorgan, because I didn't want him, and kept refusing him, so after a while it just stopped, I think 3 was the magic number.

I have a task for you.

Take a group of 20 men and 20 women completely randomly, put them out for a night out and see which group has more people that flirt with other people. And by that I mean the overt and in-your-face obvious stuff SWTOR has.

Even men with 0 game and looks that would make their mothers weep will try.

I'm all for equality between people (this encompasses every orientantion, skin colour sexual indentification, gender etc) but the truth is that men and women are NOT the same psychologically. They just aren't, and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous. Treating women like men with ******* is just stupid.

You also have to understand (not agree, just understand, as I don't agree either) that we live in a society where promiscuous women are somehow nasty, dirty and bad people (which, btw, makes NO SENSE! How can that be a BAD thing?! I mean... REALLY, HOW?!). If they had more flirts, people would start to throw around nonsense about how the women in SWTOR are all ***** or whateve the PC term is these days.

And just as a pre-emptive counter to the typical hyperbole, I'm a guy who play exclusively female characters who isn't weirded out by flirting with male characters because I don't identify with characters at all. They're just puppets to me that squeek when you set them on fire.

The setting fire part was a joke... before you get any funny ideas :p

Edited by Jandi

Nonsense on all three accounts.

-Not all flirts are in your face, and don't have to be. Neither they have to be player-initiated

-Fantasy genre has women everyone drool about who are open with their affections, both positive and negative. Look at Start Trek's Jetzia Dex or Deanna who score more often than the designated Space Studs, look at Asha who is more likable than Theon, Shy who is awesome, much beloved Kara T, and who can forget divine Inara? Awesome characters all, and why should not we try to RP chars like that? And that's just the good girls. We can RP villains in SWTOR, remember?

-RP is all about getting away from the restrictions of the real world. Society frowns on shooting random people on the streets for profit

That the flirt is there, doesn't mean you take it, but you have an option to take it, so you can actually chose the person you like to flirt with.

And, really, I play male characters as well, and I never ever objected masculine RP options. And I do connect emotionally with my characters, when I play with a male, the hero of my story is a male, not a woman who punches the buttons.

Edited by DomiSotto

My Sith Warrior can't marry the Talz on my ship. My Female Bounty Hunter can't marry Skadge. My male Knight can't get it on with T7. Therefore Bioware must be racist.

In all seriousness though, what do you want them to do about it at this point? They aren't going to go back and redo those dialogue choices. They've done a pretty good job of making sure that most, if not all flirt options are gender neutral ever since RotHC. That in and of itself says enough. They heard you.

Nonsense on all three accounts.

-Not all flirts are in your face, and don't have to be. Neither they have to be player-initiated

-Fantasy genre has women everyone drool about who are open with their affections, both positive and negative. Look at Start Trek's Jetzia Dex or Deanna who score more often than the designated Space Studs, look at Asha who is more likable than Theon, Shy who is awesome, much beloved Kara T, and who can forget divine Inara? Awesome characters all, and why should not we try to RP chars like that? And that's just the good girls. We can RP villains in SWTOR, remember?

-RP is all about getting away from the restrictions of the real world. Society frowns on shooting random people on the streets for profit

That the flirt is there, doesn't mean you take it, but you have an option to take it, so you can actually chose the person you like to flirt with.

And, really, I play male characters as well, and I never ever objected masculine RP options. And I do connect emotionally with my characters, when I play with a male, the hero of my story is a male, not a woman who punches the buttons.

You seem to forget which fictional universe we are talking about here. You can also RP that you're a half-dragon vampire goddess, is that a reason to implement such nonsense? Obviously not. If you want to have the option, why isn't it there then for *every* character in the game? Cause that's where it would end and that would be absolutely idiotic in addition to literally doubling the writing/VA costs.

I get what you're saying, but you should come back to raelity and look at such things from a pragmatic point of view.

Edit: Personally, I don't care if every character in the game had a flirt option. All I'm saying is that there are reasons for females having fewer and they have to do with the IP and societal ressons, wheter you agree with these reasons or not is irrelevant.

Edited by Jandi

Maybe I'm to stupid or prude to realize, but what's the big deal with people and their flirt options?

I don't think that a fading to black screen adds to my enjoyment of the game. At all. I played the male Jedi Knight and the male Consular. Honestly, I didn't even bother with flirting. I didn't pick a single one of them. My Consular has friends (Like Tharan), my Knight has too (T7 and Doc). I don't see any reason why my Knight should start flirting though. To get it on with a Teenager? (Kira or Nadia)

I think that Bioware should REWORK some of the possibilities for the Knight. I hear everybody shouting out right now, but let me explain:

I think that some of the Romances the Jedi Knight has are pure bull****. I know, life isn't a romantic comedy. But that's all more the reason to make it count in a game. I don't want anything resembling Episode 2 at all. But what I want is something more...sustainable.

I watched the videos of the Kira romance, and I'm more happy that I didn't take that path than before. "We have 1.500 affection points, let's get kissing!", or "We have 2.500 affection, let's get it on after some shaby comment.".

Call me old fashioned, even dull. But I think my 38 year old, educated Jedi would have something better in stock than: "Hm, I know of a hobby we could pursue..." with a shady grin and a strange sounding voice.

I love some of the other classes. Mako was good, I also found Kaliyo to be rather enjoyable. At the same time, Inquisitor, Knight and Consular were plain. I wouldn't want to pursue them, and I'm glad I was able to see them through youtube to make my opinion.

Edited by Alssaran

I get what you're saying, but you should come back to raelity and look at such things from a pragmatic point of view.

Edit: Personally, I don't care if every character in the game had a flirt option. All I'm saying is that there are reasons for females having fewer and they have to do with the IP and societal ressons, wheter you agree with these reasons or not is irrelevant.

The high moral fiber ship has sailed. A Jedi Consular can walk into a meeting with a Senator dressed in a bootstrap and a lightsaber; a jedi Knight charges through fire and swords protected by her skin and tumbling locks. Yet it's asking a heroic (drop-dead gorgeous) Republican Major if he is possibly up for drinks later that makes her promiscuous?

There always will be people who would cuss role-playing and video games. How could the opinion of those people be somehow more valid and hold in an esteem than an opinion of a fellow role-player asking for options that other players are free not to select?

How could you call into question another player's experience?! Do you wish me to opine that any male player who sinks creds into creating his nude nymph and then is offended that PvE characters notice and flirt whit his gorgeous char is real odd to me, because when I create my boys handsome, I welcome PvE chars to notice and flirt.

That's no more and no less than I want for a female PC.

Yes, I do want more flirting options in the main body of the game (if Bio has troubles figuring out who's attractive, I can supply a list). I want Zenith romanceable for Con, and I want Numen Brock to not disappear on my Smuggler. Because, that's where I spend most of my time right now playing with 8+ classes, and that's where the main story is, not on the post-Ilium things.

It is not unreasonable to ask for updates. Players do it all the time. As a MMO, the game is in the state of continuous maintenance and we support that process by our sub money. That sub money is what we put towards asking for new content. Why should I sponsor things I have no use for? I sure as heck is going to say again and again, and again to where I wish my sub money to be diverted.

The two things I want? More romantic experience for female PC and more companion customizations options. The rest is great as is. So, I will lobby for it with the same vehemence the PvP crowd lobbies for level 60 or no boost in OPS or whatever is important to them.

Edited by DomiSotto

I have a task for you.

You also have to understand (not agree, just understand, as I don't agree either) that we live in a society where promiscuous women are somehow nasty, dirty and bad people (which, btw, makes NO SENSE! How can that be a BAD thing?! I mean... REALLY, HOW?!). If they had more flirts, people would start to throw around nonsense about how the women in SWTOR are all ***** or whateve the PC term is these days.

Yeah, welcome to 2014 - your comment is more fit for 1980's and prior. We now live in a world where Paris Hilton paved the way and kiddies worship Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians. Promiscuous women aren't seen as dirty or nasty any more - quite the opposite in that it's not only socially acceptable, but there's almost a social expectation for them TO be dirty and nasty, and if they aren't they are "backwards" or "something is wrong with them."

That's the world we live in today. Feminism took a bad path, and unfortunately I don't think they'll ever find that appropriate middle ground.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

You gotta be kidding me. Ever heard of Eleanor of Aquitaine's story in 12 c? Ever read War and Peace c. 19th century? Ever noticed that Natasha fell in love with one men, ran away with another and married the third, who in the end was her real True Love? Looking for a love and making mistakes along the way as a part of a human experiences is as old as individuality (which we can date in an unbroken line in the Western culture to as early as 11-12th century). Using any human's heart tendency to elasticity, and desire to love and be loved to bad-mouth a woman, well, that's old to. Maybe in 2014 we can let go of it? Edited by DomiSotto

Yeah, welcome to 2014 - your comment is more fit for 1980's and prior. We now live in a world where Paris Hilton paved the way and kiddies worship Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians. Promiscuous women aren't seen as dirty or nasty any more - quite the opposite in that it's not only socially acceptable, but there's almost a social expectation for them TO be dirty and nasty, and if they aren't they are "backwards" or "something is wrong with them."

That's the world we live in today. Feminism took a bad path, and unfortunately I don't think they'll ever find that appropriate middle ground.

Aww, that's just adorable. Come back to me when you graduate, LOL.

Just have to say that it's Jadzia Dax.

I also would take that list with a pinch of salt, as the consular is only level 20.

Would I enjoy more flirts for females? Yes, though I only have about 2 characters who flirt with NPCs outside of companions. But I don't think they need to add them to already existing content. I am also of the opinion that it's not really appropriate for most Jedi to flirt a lot. Firstly, it's kind of unprofessional for them to flirt with people they're trying to protect. Would be kind of like a cop flirting with a crime victim. Also, I see them as akin to a religious order, with celibacy rules. If they drop their values every time they see a handsome guy, they're not really Jedi. I know you see flirting as harmless, but sometimes it's just inappropriate.

I have played to level 45, and I did not see anything but Tharan (which is utterly unprofessional and cannot be accepted by an LS Jedi when Tharan refuses to speak to Holiday) and Iresso. So, 2 males in the whole Galaxy, one of whom is plainly unavailable.

There are plenty of Environment NPCs that you do not have to protect (that's setting aside the whole pawdawan romancing series comparison). The Major you cooperate with on a Heroic on Taris, Atros Finn... and so on, perfectly independent, strong and valiant males with their own goals in life...

And, Jedi, are only 2 classes out of 8.

Edited by DomiSotto

I have played to level 45, and I did not see anything but Tharan (which is utterly unprofessional and cannot be accepted by an LS Jedi when Tharan refuses to speak to Holiday) and Iresso. So, 2 males in the whole Galaxy, one of whom is plainly unavailable.

There are plenty of Environment NPCs that you do not have to protect (that's setting aside the whole pawdawan romancing series comparison). The Major you cooperate with on a Heroic on Taris, Atros Finn... and so on, perfectly independent, strong and valiant males with their own goals in life...

And, Jedi, are only 2 classes out of 8.

Well let's hope they add more with new content. But not really wanting them to go back specifically to add the flirts to existing content (unless they go back and make companions romanceable by both sexes, which makes me a hypocrite obviously). Would rather have new flirts in upcoming content, perhaps, to make up for the lack of them now.

The high moral fiber ship has sailed. A Jedi Consular can walk into a meeting with a Senator dressed in a bootstrap and a lightsaber; a jedi Knight charges through fire and swords protected by her skin and tumbling locks. Yet it's asking a heroic (drop-dead gorgeous) Republican Major if he is possibly up for drinks later that makes her promiscuous?

There always will be people who would cuss role-playing and video games. How could the opinion of those people be somehow more valid and hold in an esteem than an opinion of a fellow role-player asking for options that other players are free not to select?

How could you call into question another player's experience?! Do you wish me to opine that any male player who sinks creds into creating his nude nymph and then is offended that PvE characters notice and flirt whit his gorgeous char is real odd to me, because when I create my boys handsome, I welcome PvE chars to notice and flirt.

That's no more and no less than I want for a female PC.

Yes, I do want more flirting options in the main body of the game (if Bio has troubles figuring out who's attractive, I can supply a list). I want Zenith romanceable for Con, and I want Numen Brock to not disappear on my Smuggler. Because, that's where I spend most of my time right now playing with 8+ classes, and that's where the main story is, not on the post-Ilium things.

It is not unreasonable to ask for updates. Players do it all the time. As a MMO, the game is in the state of continuous maintenance and we support that process by our sub money. That sub money is what we put towards asking for new content. Why should I sponsor things I have no use for? I sure as heck is going to say again and again, and again to where I wish my sub money to be diverted.

The two things I want? More romantic experience for female PC and more companion customizations options. The rest is great as is. So, I will lobby for it with the same vehemence the PvP crowd lobbies for level 60 or no boost in OPS or whatever is important to them.

It's not really about morals, but staying classy. Also, your outfit you choose to wear can't possibly influence dialogue options, or your looks for that matter- the architecture isn't there.

The rest of it is utterly irrelevant to anything I said so I don't know why you even wrote all that. I fully support adding completely new, fully fleshed out charcters with romance options because, regardless of what some think, a large chunk of BW fans are BW fans because of them. Reasonably well done romances that appeal to both men and women are extremely rare in games, and BW has a lot of fans for this reason alone and I think it's extremely disappoiting that they abandoned that part of their fanbase.

On a personal note, I find the master/apprentice romances extremely creepy. On multiple levels.

Edited by Jandi

It's not really about morals, but staying classy. Also, your outfit you choose to wear can't possibly influence dialogue options, or your looks for that matter- the architecture isn't there.

IetmEquipped("ItemName") check was in BG1. I am sure it is in this one as well. My character did not finish the last battle of Esseles, but she was wearing Esseles jacket, and one of the chars addressed her as Oh, a hero of Essels! It could be an item check.

It doesn't matter, the point I am making, is that the detractors will readily call the females of the SWTOR universe promiscuous by taking one cursory look at the Fleet, even if there was not a single Flirt available to a female PC in the game.

While a romance with a companion is a great idea, Flirts serve an important role. The number of deeply involved romances is by necessity very limited, and if the character is not interested in the in-party option, the Flirtables add to the pool of whom you might like. For example, Numen Brock is a better choice for my Smuggler than anyone else in the game, including Riggs.

My Consular would have been much more comfortable with taking interest in Attros and leaving Tharan well enough alone. (And if Zenith was available, I would skip every other option happily on a Consular, but I totally get it how someone else would rather have anything but Zenith).

Out of party Flirts also mean that a character can be independent, has his own agenda, etc, because most companions default to a PC's subordinate rather than a partner (Zenith breaks the mold), and it is good to have a something different (I like how Smuggler has hints of rivalry romance with Skavak, and a continuing story-line with Dromon).

Obviously, if someone wants to play each and every Flirt, that's an option as well.

The animations might have helped, but the currently available ones are so cheesy, it's embarrassing to try to substitute. Why can't you simply pat someone on the shoulder/back, or give a quick hug? Why the horrid dancing sequence or blowing a ridiculous kiss?

Edited by DomiSotto

IetmEquipped("ItemName") check was in BG1. I am sure it is in this one as well. My character did not finish the last battle of Esseles, but she was wearing Esseles jacket, and one of the chars addressed her as Oh, a hero of Essels! It could be an item check.

No, it's not. You can wear a sand people suit and it makes 0 difference.

It doesn't matter, the point I am making, is that the detractors will readily call the females of the SWTOR universe promiscuous by taking one cursory look at the Fleet, even if there was not a single Flirt available to a female PC in the game.

Those outfits were introcudes *after* the game was made. It's utterly irrelevant.

While a romance with a companion is a great idea, Flirts serve an important role. The number of deeply involved romances is by necessity very limited, and if the character is not interested in the in-party option, the Flirtables add to the pool of whom you might like. For example, Numen Brock is a better choice for my Smuggler than anyone else in the game, including Riggs.

My Consular would have been much more comfortable with taking interest in Attros and leaving Tharan well enough alone. (And if Zenith was available, I would skip every other option happily on a Consular, but I totally get it how someone else would rather have anything but Zenith).

Out of party Flirts also mean that a character can be independent, has his own agenda, etc, because most companions default to a PC's subordinate rather than a partner (Zenith breaks the mold), and it is good to have a something different (I like how Smuggler has hints of rivalry romance with Skavak, and a continuing story-line with Dromon).

Play a BH, not a single companion is a subordinate. They are your friends or teammates. A ragtag group of like-minded individuals who simply follow your lead in combat.

Obviously, if someone wants to play each and every Flirt, that's an option as well.

The animations might have helped, but the currently available ones are so cheesy, it's embarrassing to try to substitute. Why can't you simply pat someone on the shoulder/back, or give a quick hug? Why the horrid dancing sequence or blowing a ridiculous kiss?

Probably because their aim was not to make a star wars dating simulator/The sims: Star Wars?

Those outfits were introcudes *after* the game was made. It's utterly irrelevant.

It is in the game today, anyone who wants to find ground to bash the game can see it, therefore it's relevant.

Probably because their aim was not to make a star wars dating simulator/The sims: Star Wars?

Have you seen a Companion Dance? Pretty much what I would guess you are putting down as dating simulator worthy. Now, patting someone on the back... nah, can't have that. Too promiscuous. Gods forbid a F!Consular does it, right?!

As for your suggestion to play a BH, I am playing one; she's level 18, and will be there till I finish a few more characters. I take it the Torian Biebs wants to fly my ship for me and that makes us partners?

It is in the game today, anyone who wants to find ground to bash the game can see it, therefore it's relevant.

It's not relevant to this discussion. What *other* people do or don't to has 0 bearing on anything related to the story or your companions and you know it, stop grasping at straws.

Have you seen a Companion Dance? Pretty much what I would guess you are putting down as dating simulator worthy. Now, patting someone on the back... nah, can't have that. Too promiscuous. Gods forbid a F!Consular does it, right?!

Yeah, you kinda missed the entire point. Which was that the animations are crap, especially in cutscenes, because doing them is really, really expensive and the dev team had to priorize and they didn't make it to the top positions on that list, simple as that. The cutscenes are ridiculously BAD whenever anything actually happens besides talking.

As for your suggestion to play a BH, I am playing one; she's level 18, and will be there till I finish a few more characters. I take it the Torian Biebs wants to fly my ship for me and that makes us partners?

It's been quite awhile since I leveled my BH and, to be honest, he's a tosser so I didn't really care what he had to say, about anything. He isn't treating you like the queen of the universe though like the other female romance options are. Quinn doesn't count, cause he's obviously gay, and only goes along with it due to the fear of being shot for disobeying. Good thing you can blow off some steam with Pierce, once.