BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

you mean a knockback? why would you prefer to have a cone effect? there is nothing wrong with Mercs 360deg knockback right now, and it should not be "fixed" as you say. i have no problems with ability delay, and rarely have a problem with latency not showing people in the correct place. the ability to clear an entire ramp in huttball is very nice, and i would prefer for it to NOT be removed.

youre whining for an instant heal? lol. we've got 2 heals at our disposal right now, and have the ability to make one instant in a pinch. and giving us an instant heal is not going to help with our ability to maintain dps output while being mobile, which is the crux of the problems with Merc.

Hey hey, let's keep it civil. No one here is really whinning for anything.

I think fixing our HoT to be more usefull will help the class over all. It may not help maintain damage output (Since arsenal can both be LoS'ed or intterupted, and if we're LoS'ing for survivability we can't be dps'ing), I think it will go for general all around survivability. Arsenal's problem atm is it can not dish out it's damage before it dies, so anything that keeps it alive longer will help.

So a minor fix to the HoT (or just make it a decent self heal CD) will help. I'm still hoping for attaching unintteruptable to a CD (reserve powercell).

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey hey, let's keep it civil. No one here is really whinning for anything.

I think fixing our HoT to be more usefull will help the class over all. It may not help maintain damage output (Since arsenal can both be LoS'ed or intterupted, and if we're LoS'ing for survivability we can't be dps'ing), I think it will go for general all around survivability. Arsenal's problem atm is it can not dish out it's damage before it dies, so anything that keeps it alive longer will help.

So a minor fix to the HoT (or just make it a decent self heal CD) will help. I'm still hoping for attaching unintteruptable to a CD (reserve powercell).

and how would you "fix" the HoT? 15% heal over 10s, i like it quite a bit and dont see how it could be perceived as "broken".

Merc is so easy to kill b/c the vast majority of players are melee. Once melee gets in a Merc's grill, there is nothing the Merc can do to effectively kite and continue damage. You can either stand there and get your pummeled or you can try to run away, all the while pew-pewing with Rapid Shots. A instant-cast heal is not a real fix to this problem.

I think this suggestion got buried, but how about this:

- Muzzle Fluting is changed from .5s cast reduction on Power Shot/Tracer Missile to 2s cast reduction. In conjunction, Tracer Missile damage is reduced by 20%, and Heatseeker Missile damage is increased by 20%.

This fixes Mercs largest weakness without penalizing current players by forcing them to change their builds to acquire what they should already have had. It also tones down Tracer Missile damage, as it being Tech and Instant would make a little over-effective (its still possibly to hit nearly 3k with a Tracer Missile crit). At the same time, Heatseeker Missiles receives a damage increase to make up for the lost damage from Tracer Missile's 20% damage reduction. The increase to Heatseeker Missile would offset the Tracer Missile decrease, and both Arsenal and Pyrotech would gain a crapload of mobile damage potential.

Id be willing to be that with this one change, a whole lot of Mercs problems would go away

and how would you "fix" the HoT? 15% heal over 10s, i like it quite a bit and dont see how it could be perceived as "broken".

Well, on my Commando I've got 20k hp, so the HoT heals 3000 of 10 seconds, or 300 each second. Problem is, people can deal much more than 300 each second in those ten seconds. For it to be any use, I practically have to use it at the very start of the fight.

Now if it were a 3000 instant self heal, at least then it might be useful, giving us a precious 3-4 seconds in the middle or tail end of the fight.

Arsenal is too easily shutdown because people are not reacting appropriately when they get attacked. All they want to do is spam TM. That's all it is TM TM TM, Unload, Railshot, TM TM TM, rinse repeat.

Yeah as if someone is gonna let you go and spam that from the back row. Same people who used to press 1 button for wins are now crying for a buff.

what? what u mean 1 button for wins? you couldalways interrupt... it was never overpowered rofl. it was just baddies not knowing how to interrupt that nerfed the class to broken status, but news flash it was always broken.

thing is against anyone that has 2 inches of brain, mercenary will always lose, doesnt matter if you are good or not, arsenal or pyrotech doesnt matter really.

Edited by xxIncubixx

Arsenal is too easily shutdown because people are not reacting appropriately when they get attacked. All they want to do is spam TM. That's all it is TM TM TM, Unload, Railshot, TM TM TM, rinse repeat.

Yeah as if someone is gonna let you go and spam that from the back row. Same people who used to press 1 button for wins are now crying for a buff.

That's probably because all of their heavy hitting abilities are tied to TM/Grav Round.

Want your CoF proc? Gotta use Grav Round.

Want your HiB to do damage? Gotta use Grav Round.

Want your Demo Round to hit like a truck? Gotta use Grav Round.

And now, the newest one. Want an instant heal? Gotta use Grav Round.

The above could be why they are spamming it.

Again, this one change would solve the majority of Mercs problems:

- Muzzle Fluting changed from .5s cast reduction on Tracer Missile/Power Shot to 2s cast reduction (making them instant)

- Tracer Missile damage reduced by 20%, Power Shot damage reduced by 10%

- Heatseeker Missile damage increased by 20%, Thermal Detonator increased by 10%

Bam, the ability to maintain damage output while mobile. Reducing damage on Tracer Missile/Power Shot is necessary, but that damage is accounted for by transfering it to Heatseeker Missile/Thermal Detonator in order to keep Merc damage output where it is right now (which is a pretty good place).

I honestly don't see what the problem is with dps merc. I love my merc in pvp. I mostly play arsenal spec but from time to time will dip into pyro for a game or two. I think alot of the problem is that the majority of people that play merc / commando in pvp (and players in genera) have been misled into thinking they cannot compete. Reading threads like this (there are numerous) it is obvous that 1. the majority of players belive merc dps = bad in pvp and 2. everyone disagrees why. Anyways thats my observation, please proceed making incoherent complaints / demands.

I honestly don't see what the problem is with dps merc. I love my merc in pvp. I mostly play arsenal spec but from time to time will dip into pyro for a game or two. I think alot of the problem is that the majority of people that play merc / commando in pvp (and players in genera) have been misled into thinking they cannot compete. Reading threads like this (there are numerous) it is obvous that 1. the majority of players belive merc dps = bad in pvp and 2. everyone disagrees why. Anyways thats my observation, please proceed making incoherent complaints / demands.

I primarily play a powertech and marauder and the merc class by far the easiest kill when it comes to pvp. And this is an observation shared by many and unlike you they have expressed what the issues are and even suggested methods on how to alleviate some of the issues plaguing this inferior ac.

BTW, when are you gonna post a youtube of your arsenal merc doing excellent in a RWZ?

Something like a ground targeted jump would be nice, make it a base ability for all BHs and troopers. (and remove the charge in the tank tree and replace it with another defensive cooldown) Edited by anwg

Something like a ground targeted jump would be nice, make it a base ability for all BHs and troopers

Ha, that would be fun. I wouldn't feel so useless in huttball either.

But let's be realistic about one thing: Bioware probably doesn't have resources for new animations. Anything that requires new graphics is probably not going to happen. Rocket jet pack? Unlikely. Something like a speed buff is relatively easy to implement.

But let's be realistic about one thing: Bioware probably doesn't have resources for new animations. Anything that requires new graphics is probably not going to happen. Rocket jet pack? Unlikely. Something like a speed buff is relatively easy to implement.

How about a cartel pack only skill unlock for Mercs/commandos? That certainly should give Bioware some cash to make new graphics for a ground targeted escape ability. That's the only way the merc and commando ever is going to get any improvements with new graphics.

there is already an animation for this kind of thing. powertech tanks have jet charge, there is no reason that the animation couldnt be repurposed for Mercs

there is already an animation for this kind of thing. powertech tanks have jet charge, there is no reason that the animation couldnt be repurposed for Mercs

Possible... but I think Bioware doesn't like to mix combat animations. You see something, you generally know what class they are. But yea, that would work for me.

I think you need to look up the definition of incoherent.

Again, this one change would solve the majority of Mercs problems:

- Muzzle Fluting changed from .5s cast reduction on Tracer Missile/Power Shot to 2s cast reduction (making them instant)

- Tracer Missile damage reduced by 20%, Power Shot damage reduced by 10%

- Heatseeker Missile damage increased by 20%, Thermal Detonator increased by 10%

Bam, the ability to maintain damage output while mobile. Reducing damage on Tracer Missile/Power Shot is necessary, but that damage is accounted for by transfering it to Heatseeker Missile/Thermal Detonator in order to keep Merc damage output where it is right now (which is a pretty good place).

Adding this to first page.

I'm sorry, I love Arsenal but having TM be made instant is the worst idea ever. There's already so many people spamming that ability constantly without ever using Unload when Barrage procs or Rail Shot. This class seems to attract the worst possible players.

I tend to agree (except the worst possible players part) that TM/Grav being instant is a bad idea. It would be better to work in some sort of uninterruptable proc in there, or add it to a CD (still rooting for reserve powercell.) As well as some kind of escape or better survivability.

Then a good player could:

Open with an unitteruptable, heatless Grav round (reserve powercell)

Use an insta-cast grav round with Tech override CD.

Begin damage rotation with 4 stacks of debuff on the target.

This class needs a jet disengage ability period and I don't understand why they dont. One of the most iconic things about being a Bounty Hunter is there Jet Packs and there ability to escape or leap to there opponents. Perfect example Jango Fett vs Obi Won or Luke Skywalker vs Boba Fett, this is really a no brainer.

I tend to agree (except the worst possible players part) that TM/Grav being instant is a bad idea. It would be better to work in some sort of uninterruptable proc in there, or add it to a CD (still rooting for reserve powercell.) As well as some kind of escape or better survivability.

Then a good player could:

Open with an unitteruptable, heatless Grav round (reserve powercell)

Use an insta-cast grav round with Tech override CD.

Begin damage rotation with 4 stacks of debuff on the target.

and you could do that 1 time every 2 minutes as an arsenal spec, because that is the cooldown on Tech Override.

having an instant tracer missile would change nothing as far as damage output. i have suggested trading some of tracer missile's damage for heatseeker damage to weaken the run'n'gun tracer spammers, but you will still see them because bads will be bads. but if you run in a straight line and fire 3 tracers, it would do the exact same damage as firing 3 tracers while not moving

if this game should have taught people anything, its that you DO NOT balance the game to the lowest common denominator.

im not sure how people do not understand the basic mechanics of this game...... the damage would be the same if you are moving or immobile. the major difference is that every other class can maintain dps output on the move (or in the case of a sniper, protected while immobile). im getting tired of people claiming that Mercs would become OP if they are allowed to move and do damage. Are they OP now when they are allowed to free-cast? No, they are in line with every other DPS class. So what on earth would make Mercs OP by allowing them to actually maintain DPS when they are pressured by the hordes of melee players?

/endrant. just getting really tired of people who lack the ability to think critically

Edited by cashogy

- For one this class needs like a I'd like to call it Evade (30 second cool down-30m range) where you can choose a area to quickly use your jet pack to maneuver to.

- Change Barrage to "Tracer Missile and Power Shot have a 50%/100% chance to grant Blaster Override, which causes you're next Unload to have its cool down finished, become uninterpretable and immune to push back, stacks to 3. Each stack additionally increases its damage by 12%. At 3 stacks Unloads damage deals an additional High X Amount of Elemental damage (or a root).

- A skill that causes Power Shot to be an instant cast.

- Maybe causes Rail Shot or Tracer missile to finish Unloads active cool down?

- The Self Heal...maybe change it to Kolto Unload which causes Power Shot, Tracer Missile, etc to heal you for x amount for x time.

(I have to agree, this class is ridiculously underpowered to a point where they are considered a free kill).

And lastly, the Jetpack on your back....lol and this class has next to 0 mobility.

Bioware buff this class PL0X

Edited by PowerReaper

and you could do that 1 time every 2 minutes as an arsenal spec, because that is the cooldown on Tech Override.

having an instant tracer missile would change nothing as far as damage output. i have suggested trading some of tracer missile's damage for heatseeker damage to weaken the run'n'gun tracer spammers, but you will still see them because bads will be bads. but if you run in a straight line and fire 3 tracers, it would do the exact same damage as firing 3 tracers while not moving

if this game should have taught people anything, its that you DO NOT balance the game to the lowest common denominator.

im not sure how people do not understand the basic mechanics of this game...... the damage would be the same if you are moving or immobile. the major difference is that every other class can maintain dps output on the move (or in the case of a sniper, protected while immobile). im getting tired of people claiming that Mercs would become OP if they are allowed to move and do damage. Are they OP now when they are allowed to free-cast? No, they are in line with every other DPS class. So what on earth would make Mercs OP by allowing them to actually maintain DPS when they are pressured by the hordes of melee players?

/endrant. just getting really tired of people who lack the ability to think critically

In 1.2 they weakened TM by 10% and increased HSM by 10%. HUGE DPS LOSS. This is a very bad idea. Very very very very very bad.

Power-techs get an increased chance to crit buff for 15 seconds. This is something we should have as well. Or else an increase in power for 15 seconds.

Giving us some lame cool-down that lowers our overall dps is stupid and also useless for PVE.

I also agree with you that we need utility...but we need A LOT of it. We need something huge. Something that would be considered a valuable asset to PVP game-play. Little tiny tweaks, and one escape mechanism is not going to bring us back in line, plus it dooms our class forever cause devs will consider merc fixed after the changes even though an escape mechanism doesn't help with objectives at all.

I keep reading about "give us instant this/that." Truth is, they will not ever give us anymore instant attack abilities. We are a "Ranged" class. Which means we must cast our dmg abilities. Do you guys not remember how VG Assault/PT Pyro played? They could do half of their dmg rotation from 30m out. Give that to merc and they will be the next fotm. I'm not talking about arsenal here... I do not know anything about that AC. But if they buff Merc/Commando Pyro/Assault, that's how I feel it will result. I'm not against buffs but it will just keep feeding the vicious cycle. Just undo the 1.4 changes and give us a real reliable snare and let our knockback root like sages/sorcs. Done. Edited by Asukaa