[Video] Follow Up Details on the new <Spotter> ability

Cilas

Perhaps the most epic "My class is OP and I'm deflecting" post I have ever read on these forums. :D

Kettlebell, actually i forgot what exactly you consider op about snipers? :cool: Too many knockbacks and roots? thats only 3 abilities one of which must be specced (ambush knockback). Roots? Carnage and rage can remove the root. Leap immunity? Well hello out there, somebody got stealth, someone else got tons of defensive CDs as well as leaps, somebody can fully dps on the move and hunt down healers. We? We got cover! This is our specialty. Would ypu rather sniper be just a reskinned arsenal merc?

Besides we are really not the omnipotent Gods like somebody tries us to make. Here is a challenge for you in case you got a sniper or gunslinger. Duel a good concealment or deception player. He opens from stealth, and the can use combat stealth, but the cannot sleep dart or mind trap you. No mepacks or adrenals. You can try any spec. Beat them more than 50% out of 5-10 matches.

If you succeed, then we will talk. Make a video of it (your opponent must be decent). As a bonus i can change my avatar to whatever you will ask me to :)

Good luck.

Edited by NoTomorrow

As you see, its a frontal 45 degree cone. Tank you for your effort.

quibble: I think it is a 90 degree cone. Forward is +0 degrees, left is +45, right is -45 ...

TANGENT: as a show of respect for the useful work Cilas does, can NoTomorrow and KettleBell have a trolling truce in these otherwise informative threads? kthxbai.

quibble: I think it is a 90 degree cone. Forward is +0 degrees, left is +45, right is -45 ...

It's actually more than that. the cone seemed to extend about 120 degrees, +60 to -60 before there seemed to be a significant loss of stealth detection

TANGENT: as a show of respect for the useful work Cilas does, can NoTomorrow and KettleBell have a trolling truce in these otherwise informative threads? kthxbai.

my apologies, i don't usually get provoked by Kettlebell :)

Sorry but with 2.0 knocking at our doors, all bets are off. I am quite sure that in 2,0 with all these class changes snipers will be completely unable to kill good operative players of any spec. Marauders suddenly got their first 30m ranged attack. Forget everything you knew about SWTOR prior to 2.0. Class match-ups, counter-classes, everything.

You have to start fresh.

inb4 sentinels/marauders can have offhand sniper rifles that shoot lightsabers.

Good test. Thanks for the info. I guess, we gotta put some stealth points from now if we play these classes. Oy vey, i gotta take him from behind all the time now :D

Yeah, what this says is it may be useful to put some points in stealth, but you don't really need all 6 that are available to a concealment operative. Of course, I haven't even touched dps operative talent builds

Not sure if this has been asked/answered but is the cone of Spotter determined by the facing of the Sniper themselves OR the facing of the cover shield. I know at times I might target someone that ends up behind or to the side of where my cover shield is facing, wondering if that will affect the cone's facing as well or still go by the cover shield.

Not sure if this has been asked/answered but is the cone of Spotter determined by the facing of the Sniper themselves OR the facing of the cover shield. I know at times I might target someone that ends up behind or to the side of where my cover shield is facing, wondering if that will affect the cone's facing as well or still go by the cover shield.

Watch the video.

It is based on the facing of the cover screen as far as I can tell. My sniper was facing a wall but my camera angle was looking behind me and I couldn't see the operative. Same camera angle only the other time my sniper was facing the same way and I could see the operative

Watch the video.

It is based on the facing of the cover screen as far as I can tell. My sniper was facing a wall but my camera angle was looking behind me and I couldn't see the operative. Same camera angle only the other time my sniper was facing the same way and I could see the operative

Not talking about camera angle, talking about character facing which can easily be different from camera angle. Your character model was still facing the same way as the cover shield.

Example: I'm in cover with a healing teammate running around behind me. Opponent Jugg jumps to healer which is now behind me. My character model will turn to face the Jugg while shooting and I keep my camera forward and my cover shield is forward. Which is priority for Spotter then? My character model's back is facing the same way as the cover shield while my character model is turned shooting at the Jugg. Does my cone in that case go from my cover shield facing forward OR does it go from my character model's front which is now facing the Jugg I'm shooting at?

Edited by BanetheDarkLord

Perhaps the most epic "My class is OP and I'm deflecting" post I have ever read on these forums. :D

If you think snipers are OP you should meet my sentinel. Sorry but - they really are just squishy nuke casters and they need to do everything perfect to win a 1vs1. Maybe it's because I've mained a gunslinger and played more PVP with them than any other class but I can blow up GS or snipers on demand - it's just not hard to do.

If you think snipers are OP you should meet my sentinel. Sorry but - they really are just squishy nuke casters and they need to do everything perfect to win a 1vs1. Maybe it's because I've mained a gunslinger and played more PVP with them than any other class but I can blow up GS or snipers on demand - it's just not hard to do.

Not anymore. Lmao. I handled marauders fine pre 2.0, post 2.0 it really isn't close. That roll turns the tide significantly in our favor.

Not talking about camera angle, talking about character facing which can easily be different from camera angle. Your character model was still facing the same way as the cover shield.

Example: I'm in cover with a healing teammate running around behind me. Opponent Jugg jumps to healer which is now behind me. My character model will turn to face the Jugg while shooting and I keep my camera forward and my cover shield is forward. Which is priority for Spotter then? My character model's back is facing the same way as the cover shield while my character model is turned shooting at the Jugg. Does my cone in that case go from my cover shield facing forward OR does it go from my character model's front which is now facing the Jugg I'm shooting at?

Ahh misunderstood and I do not know, very good question. I'll test it

Ahh misunderstood and I do not know, very good question. I'll test it

Best way might be just to use Suppressive Fire to turn your character's back while your stealth moves in. Easiest way to turn away from cover shield while shooting and not having to worry about getting someone else to help you test it.

Best way might be just to use Suppressive Fire to turn your character's back while your stealth moves in. Easiest way to turn away from cover shield while shooting and not having to worry about getting someone else to help you test it.

Yep, I'll look at it tonight and post a comment here

Ok, I just tested it and I can confirm:

the stealth detection cone is in the direction the sniper is facing. NOT the cover shield.

I forsee a lot of snipers tricking unsuspecting operatives with that one