Useless gear: Am I misunderstanding stats or am I missing something?

scotthomas

I've done a search on the forums and only found this unanswered thread on the same concern:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=68488&highlight=unusable+gear

Background:

It seems like I'm getting absolutely no useable gear from drops. The only gear I've been getting has only been useable by one companion (across two toons) and even then it seems under-stat compared to what's currently equipped (at least if I focus on primary/secondary stats). I'm forever heading to GTN kiosks or vendors to offload gear I can't use.

Concern:

I'm starting to get worried that either I'm over-emphasising the importance primary/secondary stats (I usually only equip gear if it boosts both, regardless of other stat changes) or the game is trying to tell me something that I'm missing (maybe giving me gear I might need for an upcoming companion or something).

Questions:

Like the other thread asked, are the drops completely random (in which case I have nothing to worry about)?

Am I over-emphasising primary/secondary stats by ignoring gear that doesn't boost them both?

Being a noob, am I missing something subtle that the game is trying to tell me about the gear I'm equipping?

Concern:

I'm starting to get worried that either I'm over-emphasising the importance primary/secondary stats (I usually only equip gear if it boosts both, regardless of other stat changes) or the game is trying to tell me something that I'm missing (maybe giving me gear I might need for an upcoming companion or something).

Questions:

Like the other thread asked, are the drops completely random (in which case I have nothing to worry about)?

Pretty much, yes. Quest rewards will be directed at either you or a companion, but random drops are random.

I believe drops in FlashPoints are intended for a member of the party, but that is not always the case. (My BH soloed one with my healer companion and got a few drops with STR...) But just questing in the world, you could get anything.

Even gear with stats a future companion uses may not be useful. All companions come with appropriate gear. So the (say) Light Armor with Willpower that you picked up on Dromman Kas will be useless by the time you pick up a Light Armor wearing Willpower-user on Alderaan.

Am I over-emphasising primary/secondary stats by ignoring gear that doesn't boost them both?

Maybe. Look specifically at which stats are being increased and what the decrease is.

My main is an IA/Sniper and I run with Kaliyo (ranged tank). So if something drops that raises her Endurance, but lowers her Aim, I may go ahead and equip it anyway. Or if the decrease is really small compared to the increase, I may equip it.

Being a noob, am I missing something subtle that the game is trying to tell me about the gear I'm equipping?

Nope.

This is an honest question, because i really don't know. What is the purpose of purple level 50 gear that i can't use at 50? Meaning: the gear looks great! but the stats are well below Tionese, Columi, Rakata gear. So what is the point of getting these nice purple drops at 50 when end game FP's, HM's and OP's require the columi or better?

This is an honest question, because i really don't know. What is the purpose of purple level 50 gear that i can't use at 50? Meaning: the gear looks great! but the stats are well below Tionese, Columi, Rakata gear. So what is the point of getting these nice purple drops at 50 when end game FP's, HM's and OP's require the columi or better?

On my first character when I hit 50, pre-server transfer/consolidation (back in June-July 2012), a lot of the level 49 purple gear I REed to get the schematics for, were equal to if not slightly better than Tionese. Tionese was usually at best a "side-grade" (swaps one stat for another).

That being said, if you are talking about gear like Exotech... They are outdated. Prior to 1.6 you had to "earn" your tionese and columi comms so getting a piece of Exotech gear was a good thing; it filled in the gap between quest rewards and tionese. Now that you get 99 tionese comms upon dinging 50, that gear is basically relegated to companions.

Getting back on topic...

Primary and Secondary stats: IMO while leveling, don't worry so much about secondary stats. there is a balance to be struck, but say a piece of gear increases your primary stat by 10 and you lose 1 in a secondary stat...that's an upgrade.

Drops while questing and in flashpoints are 100% random. I have run Flashpoints where NONE of the gear was usable by any character in the group (one example: I ran a FP where there were three jedi and a smuggler and we got all aim drops :(). Quest rewards are focused on you or the companions you currently have.

Yeah, I just love spending an hour doing a side quest and finally completing it to get an awesome orange saber. Only to have dark III required to use. I'm a Sentinel BTW. :rolleyes:

Random I'm fine with, but at least get the faction in line!

You can always rip out the mods and put them into your saber