1.4 did we really get the shaft again?

Trigon

The majority of offhand items can now be modified. Shields, Generators, and Foci accept Armoring modifications, and Vibroknives and Shotguns accept Barrels. Additionally, they can contain Color Crystal, Mod, and Enhancement slots...

I see no schematics, recipes, or any of the new drops that can be RE'd.

Is it really your intended, conscious decision to EXCLUDE crafters from this new update to offhands? Are the drops at least limited or have you dismantled the player crafted offhand market entirely? I've invested millions of credits in unlocking all the best prefixed purple offhands items, I was looking forward to expanding that not losing my major source of income entirely.

Edited by Trigon

**the same seems true for vibroknives and shotguns. Additionally, it would have made more sense (and been more fair to the spurned artificers) to have vibroknives accept HILTS instead of barrels. Way to go BW.

For all those str or will using vibroknife classes?

You've removed hilts and enhancements from the new Hazmat and Dread guard gear and none of them can be RE'd? And saber shells can be RE'd?

This is about the new moddable offhands, as per the quote in my OP. I'm going to edit out the bit about hilts it seems to be muddying the subject.

But OP has a point regarding taking a hit on the market of offhands. You can just go to BT normal and have one modifiable for the entire campaing., No point buying an offhand again.

Understood, but the same has been true for quite some time now for armormechs/synthweavers.

Artificers get to sell crystals and enhancements (and hilts), armstech gets to sell augments (and barrels) and armormech/synthweaving gets to sell augments.

Seems sort of balanced, to me..... though largely in a sucks for everybody sort of balance.

Only artifice got to spend nearly a year spending piles of credits unlocking schematics only to have them rendered useless by one patch. Something similar (albeit temporary) happened once before when they put the Geologist vendor in. What crew skill did that affect? Artifice!

I averaged 6-12 offhand sales a day during the last 6 months. Since 1.4 launched I've made exactly 1 sale despite keeping the same stock up. It didn't even slowly taper off, 1.4 just immediately killed the market.

Are we going to be getting schematics or recipes or the ability to RE the drops? We need a response Bioware.

Well, I make 100% of my income from selling crafted items on the GTN and I think this a great change. A lil competition in the market helps keeps prices lower so more of the player base can afford to gear up how they'd like. And btw, this hurts armstech a lot more than artifice. Not much we can make that ppl can't get elsewhere and now we have to share it with cybers and artificers :p ... expect your schematics to depreciate in value - remember new tiers of gear will show up periodically. Price your columi/rakata/campaign items competitively and you will have no trouble selling them. Get used to a lower profit margin on this stuff, it happens.

Well, I make 100% of my income from selling crafted items on the GTN and I think this a great change. A lil competition in the market helps keeps prices lower so more of the player base can afford to gear up how they'd like. And btw, this hurts armstech a lot more than artifice. Not much we can make that ppl can't get elsewhere and now we have to share it with cybers and artificers :p ... expect your schematics to depreciate in value - remember new tiers of gear will show up periodically. Price your columi/rakata/campaign items competitively and you will have no trouble selling them. Get used to a lower profit margin on this stuff, it happens.

You misunderstand totally. This has nothing to do with columi/rakata/campaign or any endgame gear. Nor does it harm Armstech, quite the contrary it will increase their barrel sales. Nor will competitive pricing help generate sales when total sales are at zero. I didn't think it was needed, but let me explain:

Offhands used to have set stats, and were not modifiable. When you outleveled the stats you would purchase a new one. This continues until you reach endgame and crafters were then largely taken out of the equation. With 1.4 offhand items that can be modded now drop as loot. You can pick one of these up at level 10 and never need to purchase another again. Instead everyone will turn to Armstech for hilts, Cybertech for armorning and mods, Artifice provides the enhancements, and the usual variety provides the augments.

There was plenty of competition and reasonably priced offhands before this change on our server, sometimes cheaper than the purchase prices of the crafting mats.

I see your point about buying new offhands as a character levels but think about it - if you're leveling up an alt and at level 14 you have a moddable offhand drop from trash (happened to me Wednesday night) what are you gonna do with it, equip it or send it to your main? I still see this as more an end-game issue. TBH selling hasn't been real hot since 1.4 with the GTN being down for a day and the current problems ppl are having with purple mission discoveries. I expect the market to pick up again once things settle down. Oh and with armstech we used to make barrels, vibroknives and The Chopper. Guess it's down to barrels and The Chopper now. :(

You misunderstand totally. This has nothing to do with columi/rakata/campaign or any endgame gear. Nor does it harm Armstech, quite the contrary it will increase their barrel sales. Nor will competitive pricing help generate sales when total sales are at zero. I didn't think it was needed, but let me explain:

You do realize that armstech also made offhands through REing recipies to make better ones, and they too lost that ability? Though granted they can now sell the barrels, but hey. Artificers can now sell the enhancments. (and crystals? do custom Vibroknives/shotguns use crystals?)

pre1.4, correctly RE'd offhands was pretty much the only thing my armstech sold. Barrels was too saturated to be profitable, and many people prefer the primary stat augs.

Oh and with armstech we used to make barrels, vibroknives and The Chopper. Guess it's down to barrels and The Chopper now. :(

My apologies, I don't have an armstech and didn't consider the fact you are also losing a market. Rather than vibroknives you're reduced to only making the barrels for them. This is just as unacceptable as it is for artificers.

yeah well.. after checking the GTN on 2 different servers and seeing pages of foci and generators (not so many shields and only 1 vibroknife) I think it would have been better to give schematics to crafters. Might happen in the future but expecting it'll be too little too late. picture this: "Elegant Modified (insert offhand name here)" :eek:

Look at it this way, modifications use less resources to craft than offhands. Get your hilt/barrel/mod/enhance recipes all purpled out and sell those.

Unfortunately this is incorrect, they take twice as many purple mats to craft as offhands do and they sell for essentially the same amount. The only difference is when you crit (on hilts anyway) you'll make ~25% more selling 2 than selling 1 augmented offhand.

Kind of related to this topic. Has anyone with Cybertech tried to see if they can learn the armoring from the off hands? They don't appear to have a slot restriction. If a schematic can be gained from the off hand slot. Droids just became upgradeable.

I'd be surprised if that were possible, non endgame items generally don't allow you to RE them for schematics.

Still waiting for a response from BW, unfortunately we don't have enough angry, belligerent posters like most of the topics that get a yellow text reply.

Crafting in this game has always been broken in my opinion. Way too much over lap. To me Artifice should have been able to make everything that goes in the Sabers and Generators, same goes for Armstech while Cybertech's stuff should have been strictly for armor. Then I would change the whole RE thing to something a bit more easier, none of this 10% chance to RE something unless it was an item modification. I figure its only fair since Synthweaving and Armormech have a harder time breaking something down to get what you want in the blue to purple phase or the purple to purple phase. I think end game crafting should be competitive with the end game gear. And all craftable rakata stuff should have been bind on legacy. Lastly from levels 1-40 the crit chance on companion missions should be higher considering you level so crazy fast in this game.

Bioware is making a lot of changes to make it eassier for the newer players, but they totally forget about the players who have been upping their skill, level and legacy all these months. What you have worked hard for to get, now gets undermined by all these adds and the lowering of legacy perks. Like the fast travel perks (BH, Tatooine etc), they are not really usefull anymore now, since you can take a shuttle to any daily planet, why did I even have to buy those perks, if I can take a shuttle to every daily planet now ? They should at least have added extra things for the people who were far along with these things, but Bioware only looks at one side of the story it seems and doesn't think of the impact, some changes have in the game imo. They are killing the experienced community very fast that way, I hear a lot of people, who are thinking of moving on to other games, if it's gonna be like this. myself included, I'm sorry to say, cause I really like this game, but they are tweaking it to death, like ME3. I'm not saying everything is bad, the new raid is cool (allthough way too hard on SM imo) and I like the new Force mend power, which is really usefull for a sage, but the lowering of legacy, the shuttle and the server consolidation for example, are all bad ideas. And I agree, the crafting has been a lot less fun lately too, it doesn't work correctly anymore. My reverse ingeneering succesrate has dropped a lot since 1.4, it's not even worth the creds and patience anymore ! It's a real shame, how they are breaking up the game and community like this, I hope they listen to the people and will get their act together soon ! Edited by Cyber_Addict_NL

At the very least - and I mean the very least - there should now be Custom-Built and Elegant Modified schematics available for these offhands, to be gained through Treasure Hunting and Investigation missions, so artifice and armstech crafters can build orange shells. I still wouldn't be completely happy, as I've spent time and credits RE-ing schematics that are now pretty much useless, but at least it would make logical sense.