Those complaining about loot in FP's I did some research on my own

OK, so you know how you get into an FP, you beat the boss and then you loot it? (Let's say you're a BH and you have a Sorc, Operative, and A Juggy in your group.) Only to find out the loot is for the agent, you think, no worries next one will be mine hopefully.

You move on to the next boss, kill him and loot him and again the gear is for an agent? This keeps happening the whole way through the FP and you're depressed you tanked and wasted all that time, yet nothing dropped for you. I think I figured out why.

Whoever enters the FP first is the story owner, this causes the FP to gear toward him/her loot table wise. I use Black Talon as an example. I suffer from alt-aholism, so I make a lot of toons. I have gotten to the point where I can solo Black Talon. WHenever I enter the FP 95% of the loot is geared for whatever character I am playing.

If I take that same character and add a friend to the mix, and I still enter first, there is like a 5% chance my friend will get any loot. And if he enters first there is a 5% chance I will get any. Try this out yourselves and see if you get the same results, I would be curious if you experience the same thing.

Have a few of your friends group up and switch who enters the FP to start it off first paying attention to the majority loot that drops. I hope I haven't confused anyone with this just thought I would share with you and perhaps see if it really is fact or I am just delusional.

I have noticed the exact same thing. Although more often than not, if I am the owner and in the FP with a friend, random loot will drop before loot for my friend drops. It's quite odd, and a bit irritating that you have to run it more than once if you want to get loot for both characters.

What's even more irritating is the lack of balancing in received commendations for the starter flashpoints. The Republic side gets 7 commendations MINIMUM every time they run The Esseles. It only takes 14 commendations to get an item from the vendor, so run it twice and you're good. I've run Black Talo countless times, because I like the majority of people prefer the Imperial side, and the max I get is 5. That means I have to run it, at a minimum, one more time than the Republic side. More often than not, I make out with 4 commendations, which means running the flashpoint twice as many times as the Republic has to, just to get one item. Fair? I think not.

Edited by tmblake

Ladies and gentlemen, another 'Random loot is not random post'! I don't think we have enough of these.

Or enough completely not helpful responses. If you have nothing useful to say, don't waste our time and your time by writing it.

Actually we took a lvl 37 Trooper through Taral V with 2 lvl 50 troopers and a lvl 50 Jedi Guardian just because he wanted to get it done and could never find a group. EVERY single boss dropped an orange piece of trooper gear (the Instance was tied to the Guardian) so it appears to have to do with number of a particular class and their level as to what the loot table and chances are. Needless to say he was one happy trooper. Try it yourself sometime on a low level FP like Taral V or Maelstorm as a group of 50s.

Actually we took a lvl 37 Trooper through Taral V with 2 lvl 50 troopers and a lvl 50 Jedi Guardian just because he wanted to get it done and could never find a group. EVERY single boss dropped an orange piece of trooper gear (the Instance was tied to the Guardian) so it appears to have to do with number of a particular class and their level as to what the loot table and chances are. Needless to say he was one happy trooper. Try it yourself sometime on a low level FP like Taral V or Maelstorm as a group of 50s.

Wrong, i run HMs with the same people, myself and our healer are both Sorcs and we almost never get any drops. Its another awesomely crap RNG system.

False.

I host every FP I make (I am the healer afterall) and I've had to run False Emperor ( a level 50 normal) on Hard mode 5 times just to see my damn chest drop..

Likewise on Black talon, I ran it 10 times before my columi bracer dropped.

And just now, Kaon (Rise of Rakghoul) had NOTHING for me (though I did get the sweet 110% speeder).

Its actually true... and false.

It seems as if lower level flashpoints drop gear for classes that are there, and not stuff that isnt.

Examples like BT/Essels, Hammer Station, Athis.

However, somewhere along the line this chain breaks and FP's just start dropping random crap, and continues with HM versions all the way around.

Run BT a few times on normal mode for kicks and giggles. You should see it will drop something for your *base* class. (I.E. It should give you Jugg or Marauder stuff if you go in as either class)

Its actually true... and false.

It seems as if lower level flashpoints drop gear for classes that are there, and not stuff that isnt.

Examples like BT/Essels, Hammer Station, Athis.

However, somewhere along the line this chain breaks and FP's just start dropping random crap, and continues with HM versions all the way around.

Run BT a few times on normal mode for kicks and giggles. You should see it will drop something for your *base* class. (I.E. It should give you Jugg or Marauder stuff if you go in as either class)

This is true. I just ran it as an assassin with a marauder and we got even drops. He got his orange top piece, I got my orange top piece. He got an orange lightsaber, I got a blue shield generator. It's just confusing all around XD

Those few examples prove that random loot isn't random. I have a penny that always lands on heads. I flipped it 3 times and - always heads. Want to buy my magic penny?

Exactly, to prove something through just experience it has to be tested AT LEAST 10 times.

Now even this is actually loltalk for any1 who is 1/2 serious about chance math but I m trying to make a point here

My HM Group was 2x Guardian, Trooper and Consular; we got Smuggler loot 95% of the time, literally. Like, do a HM Esseles and get Smuggler gear on all bosses. Do something else, get Smuggler loot everywhere except on 1 boss. Literally Smuggler gear all around with an odd exception every now and then. And this is based on 20ish runs, not that small a number.

So I think your theory is probably correct for normal mode/ low lvl FP's - did a Hammer the other day on my smuggler, had 3 consulars in group, got 3 consular drops + 1 smuggler drop, but in HM's it stops applying. Fact.

And it's NOT normal RNG. Fact. If you run with the same group all the time, you'll get reproducible results from each boss 95% of the time.

OK, so you know how you get into an FP, you beat the boss and then you loot it? (Let's say you're a BH and you have a Sorc, Operative, and A Juggy in your group.) Only to find out the loot is for the agent, you think, no worries next one will be mine hopefully.

You move on to the next boss, kill him and loot him and again the gear is for an agent? This keeps happening the whole way through the FP and you're depressed you tanked and wasted all that time, yet nothing dropped for you. I think I figured out why.

Whoever enters the FP first is the story owner, this causes the FP to gear toward him/her loot table wise. I use Black Talon as an example. I suffer from alt-aholism, so I make a lot of toons. I have gotten to the point where I can solo Black Talon. WHenever I enter the FP 95% of the loot is geared for whatever character I am playing.

If I take that same character and add a friend to the mix, and I still enter first, there is like a 5% chance my friend will get any loot. And if he enters first there is a 5% chance I will get any. Try this out yourselves and see if you get the same results, I would be curious if you experience the same thing.

Have a few of your friends group up and switch who enters the FP to start it off first paying attention to the majority loot that drops. I hope I haven't confused anyone with this just thought I would share with you and perhaps see if it really is fact or I am just delusional.

Yeah no.

I'm an SI tank and I always enter first. So far our BHs and Agents are near fully geared while I have seen 2 pieces of loot total in all my HM runs. My companions Ashara and Talos have more tier gear than I do.

So far in 5 Kaon runs I have seen 2 BH helms, 2 SW helms and 6 Agent helms, ZERO SI helms.

Yeah no.

I'm an SI tank and I always enter first. So far our BHs and Agents are near fully geared while I have seen 2 pieces of loot total in all my HM runs. My companions Ashara and Talos have more tier gear than I do.

So far in 5 Kaon runs I have seen 2 BH helms, 2 SW helms and 6 Agent helms, ZERO SI helms.

Exactly my situation :) Saw 1 drop for JK in ~16 runs, lost the roll for it. My Doc is completely epic geared (and just from Greed rolls, mind you), with Rusk having more PvE epics than me too.

i'm not quite sure exactly how random it is but here was my experience the other day

I did 5 hardmodes

Black Talon

Kaon Under Siege

False Emperor

Boarding Party

Directive 7

Now, I joined the group and they were already in BT, when i entered, no loot for me dropped. But here's where it gets weird, I was leading the charge for the other instances (As i knew them and was teaching them where they are/how to do them) and every single boss since then dropped columi for me. KUS, FE, BP and D7 all dropped agent columi gear. Needless to say i was happy, but the odds just don't seem in my favour, i do believe in luck but that's stretching it.

I dont believe this to be true though, my normal group consist of an Assassin tank (me) a Sorc or Merc healer, Marauder DPS and a Sorc dps.

We've been doing 2/3 hard modes a night for almost 2 weeks now and besides 1 pair of columni bracers everything has been BH/Agent gear while most of the times i'm the storyowner.

I like how everyone keeps posting "no, you're wrong, it IS randomly generated" when we're trying to make the point that the low level normal mode flashpoints have not-so-randomly-generated gear, and all they keep bringing up are end-game hard mode flashpoints. Uh, duh, we weren't talking about those to begin with.

And it's NOT normal RNG. Fact. If you run with the same group all the time, you'll get reproducible results from each boss 95% of the time.

DING DING DING DING!!!

We have run false emp with the same premade group 13 times. Twice we changed out a couple members.

11 runs have been smuggler jacket (no smuggler in group)

2 runs have been trooper loot (the times we changed up the group makeup).

You find me a penny that will land head 19/20 and I'll buy it off you. ;)

Plenty for sale. Random(as random as their library supports) numbers in large numbers produce random results. It would take a very large data set (way more than any one person could do in years of game play) to even produce statistically significant results. Unless you have data that covers 1k-2k runs you're not even gonna be able to see a pattern if there is one. Edited by thorizdin

I concur, from my experiences and observations with hard mode flashpoints, the group make-up seeds the loot tables, and the loot results will soon be quite predictable.

Not sure what to do about it though, as I'm not going to stop running flashpoints with my friends. Maybe convince one of us to level an alt to switch the group makeup now and then, or hope Bioware takes a look at how their system seeds the RNG function and improves it.