Commando Healing Guide, Kit style

haksilence

**UPDATED 6/19/2014**

Hey, the name i will be going by for this post will be Kithide (pronounced Kitheed). I have been playing my Combat Medic Commando alongside my shadow tank since launch, my commando can currently be seen on The Harbinger raiding in <Intrepid>'s progression team and could previously be seen in <Ascension>'s progression team back on the Jedi Covenant.

I have amassed a notable amount of experience and skill with the class over the time spent in this game, even during which times when commandos were considered the black sheep of the healing community and were shunned from serious raiding and labelled "gimped", striving to prove common misconceptions wrong.

Well there are no misconceptions now! Commando's are solid healers and have all the tools they will ever need to to keep your raid group up and running to down that boss you've been grinding at for a week.

I'm here to show you how to use those tools to be successful, I hope this guide can be found helpful and useful.

open to criticism and all constructive critique will be taken into account and if i find the points made valid i will edit the post to include said point and include the contributors name at the end.

CHEERS!

Table of Contents

1. The Terminology
  2. The Build
  3. The Abilites and Talents
  4. The Gear
  5. The Basics
  6. The Advanced
  7. The Kithide

The Terminology

• Hammer Shots (HS)
  • Advanced Medical Probe (AMP)
  • Medical Probe (MP)
  • Trauma Probe (TP)
  • Kolto Bomb (KB)
  • Bacta Infusion (BI)
  • Super Charge Cells (SCC)
  • SCC Kolto Bomb (~KB)
  • SCC AMP (~AMP)
  • Armor Screen (AS)
  • Preventative Medicine (PM)
  • Combat Support Cell (CSC)
  • Kolto Residue (KBR)
  • Kolto Pods (KBP)
  • Kolto Wave (KW)
  • Cooldown (CD)
  • Global Cooldown (GCD)
  • Heal over Time (HoT)

The Build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfMkRzsdzfGzZMccZb.3

This is the one and only spec that I suggest for PVE healing,

some fights may make taking other points attractive, but this is the go to build currently.

alternate specs would include removing "Psych Aid" and placing points into "treated Wound Dressings" on fights where there is no cleansing or you are not responsible for cleansing.

The Abilities and Talents

• Hammer Shots (HS)

While CSC is active this ability is your bread and butter free heal, it heals for 100% for your bonus healing over three ticks over the time of one GCD (assuming that none of the ticks crit) so if you had 900 bonus healing using hammer shots would heal for a total of 900 before crits).

It builds 3 stacks towards SCC

AMP is your "Fast Heal" it heals for a moderate amount and has alot of mechanical advantages to such as a HoT and an armor buff, this is going to be your "set up" heal for alot of healing rotations; whether its healing the tank or group healing

Reduces the cost of your next MP by 8

• Medical Probe (MP)

This is your Solid or Big heal, its your hardest hitting heal but it is also your longest channeled heal and is the most expensive, It builds 6 stacks towards your SCC. use sparingly and situationaly. we will cover the proper uses of this heal in later sections

• Trauma Probe (TP)

Trauma Probe is the only HoDT (Heal on Damage Taken) currently in the game and should always be placed on as many raid members as you can maintain, most importantly, the Tank. It comes with 9 charges and heals for a small-medium amount each time the target takes damage but is limited to once every 2 seconds in occurrence. It is the most cost effective heal in the game and should be up at all times on the target.

• Kolto Bomb (KB)

This will be your AOE Power. It is a 4 person Reticle AOE (I've found that keybinding it to a mouse button is the smoothest keybind for these types of abilities) With your spec this ability comes with a number of invaluable features such as; a 3% healing receive bonus to any it hits, and Kolto Pods

• Bacta Infusion BI)

This is our top-tier ability granted from the healing tree, It Heals for about the same as AMP but is Instant-Cast, best used in place of a MP for quick on demand heals and as an ammo management utility

This is your Specialization ability unique to your CSC Allowing you to "Consume) 30 stacks built by your HS and MP for 8 ammo, a 5% boost to healing dealt for 10 seconds and a plethora of other buffs: Free Full Auto and Charged Bolts, ~KB, and ~AMP

• SCC Kolto Bomb (~KB)

~KB grants a 5% Bonus to Damage Reduction to ALL friendly targets in the target area. Use when raid-wide damage is anticipated or use on tank when spike damage is anticipated.

• SCC AMP (~AMP)

~AMP Has no cooldown and retains all of its original buffs such at the HoT (Preventative Medicine) and the 10% boost to armor

• Armor Screen (AS)

10% Armor buff granted by AMP and ~AMP, best suited for the main tank.

HoT Granted by AMP and ~AMP

The Ammo cell you will be using while healing, Enables the use of HS as a healing agent

• Kolto Residue (KBR)

A 3% bonus to healing received granted to all who step foot in a KB's AOE

• Kolto Pods (KBP)

A HoT equivalent in power to HS granted to ALL who stand in KB's AOE

• Kolto Wave (KW)

Your Concussion Charge modified through your skill tree to heal everyone in the AOE for a moderate amount, Free of cost so it also serves as an ammo management utility.

This heal is an AOE in the form of a circle with you at its axis, place yourself in the midst of your group to maximize the amount of people affected by this heal

• Recharge Cells (RC)

your "Spare Clip" use when your ammo hits 0% and save for absolute emergencies

• Reserve Power Cell (RPC)

An emergency CD making your next ability free, should be saved for absolute emergencies and should only be used with a full price MP

• Tech Override (TO)

An Emergency CD making your next channeled ability activate instantly (AMP, MP, Charged bolts, ECT). Recommended usage includes: on CD for greater HPS output, Emergency situations when a target requires big healing immediately, or in an emergency or semi-emergency situation in conjunction with RPC for a free and instant MP. Recommended to always be used with MP since it has the longest cast time.

The Gear

Healing as a commando is an artform, it has the strictest rotation and ammo management as well as (in my opinion) the hardest healing style and potential to master of the 3 healing classes. And as any artist will tell you you can's make every painting and masterpiece with a single sized brush.

Healing is a balancing act with your stats to best suite your healing style and ability, with things tweaked slightly from the mathematically optimal to better suite your personal flavor.

Commando healing in specific heavily relies on crit and alacrity as stats, with the 15% Surge talent provided by "Potent Medicine", crit becomes EXTREMELY valuable. as well without accuracy to eat part of your secondary stat budget you will have far to much to solely invest into surge because of its steep diminishing return curve past 250-300 rating. So alacrity has its value buffed by the diminishing value of surge.

right now the model i'm using for my personal gearing is a 50/50 split between surge and alacrity, leaning more towards alacrity, given the option.

As well, in full 180 gear I am aiming for around 450 crit rating, but slightly higher or lower would be acceptable as well. I have been experimenting back and forth with one more surge enhancement vs 50/50 and getting mixed results. my general advise is if your going to go 50/50 on Alac/Surge then run lower crit i would recommend 350 or such. if your going to go with an extra surge enhancement I would recommend the 450 or such crit.

*fine tune your crit/surge/alacrity to your personal tastes*

Augment for Aim, there is no other acceptable alternative, Power, Surge, Alacrity or any other stat augments are inferior by an extravagant margin.

As for relics:

Highest quality Serendipitous assault and Focused Retribution Relics are by far Best In Slot, some fights/people may like the Boundless Ages Relic to use for more controlled healing. I generally do not recommend this since the BA relic will average MUCH less then either the SA or FR relics. that being said, if you INSIST on using a BA relic it c\should be paired with the FR relic.

TL;DR:

Run Half Alacrity and Half Surge

400 or so crit

Focused Retribution and Serendipitous Assault Relics

Aim Augments

The Basics

Here we will go over several stages of healing experience and performance starting with the basics. As with any skill-set, the more advanced methods build upon the foundation of the basics so the rules and tips for the basic sections continue onto the next section, going without saying. Each section will be concluded by a summary of tips found at bulleted points at the end of the explanation.

The Basic single-target and easy healing (little raid wide damage) rotation to follow for a commando is fairly simple but requires you watch several buffs on your target...

The Basic ability Priority for commandos is:

TP>KB (to maintain KR)>AMP>MP>BI (used on CD when ammo under 70%)>HS (under 70% ammo and no immediate fatality threat is present)>KB (for single heal and KP)>KW (for ammo management when no immediate threat is present)

• AMP should be used on CD for its many buffs and the cost reduction to MP, this is essential to maintaining ammo as a commando

• Smooth Burst damage phases with Bi so you don't blow through your ammo

• ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep TP and KR running on the tank, and then keep AS and PM from AMP up as much as you can. Ideally AMP should be placed on the tank taking the most damage.

• Save your SCC for Emergencies

• Commando healing is allot of channeled healing, anticipate damage so you can start your Channel before the damage hits. you will develop this skill as you gain experience but is crucial to successfully healing as a commando, don't get discouraged this skill takes ALOT of time and experience to get the feel for as it requires you to not only know your class, but know the fight/boss and even the attack interval fo the boss to accurately anticipate damage.

• With the Changes to TP, keeping TP up on the raid is incredibly important, it is one of the most cost effective heals in the game and softens damage spikes and raid wide damage by a huge margin. Practice maintaining TP on the raid on any period of downtime (any time where there is no threat of fatality)

The Advanced

For Advanced commando healing we will introduce the use of SCC as a rolling buff instead of an emergency measure. this style of healing requires a strong knowledge of the current fight/encounter you are healing and a decent amount of experience healing as a commando because certain fights may require you to still save SCC for a particular phase.

while using the "Rolling SCC" healing style you will be popping SCC as soon as you get the 30 stacks, using ~KB to maintain a large up-time on the 5% DR on the raid as well as using ~AMP>MP>~AMP>MP while ammo allows (above 60-70% ammo) and alternating who receives the ~AMP to keep the HoT and Armor buff up on as many people as possible.

(*NOTE*)

~KB shield can be maintained for 100% uptime if you place KB before popping SCC, the residue left on the ground will then proc ~KB to any standing in the vicinity, as well as using a ~KB as the last second of your SCC to even further ensure 100% uptime.

This style will minimize the amount of healing you have to do because of the armor and DR buffs you can grant and is the desirable style when there is a large amount of raid-wide consistent damage going out. This style also is superior to the basic priority during high burst phases where the tank will require large amounts of healing, in which case you will maintain ~KB and then follow the SCC rotation ~AMP>MP while above 60-70% ammo.

With utilizing SCC as a rolling buff its best to take advantage of all its perks. If you have SCC stacked and ready but there is no immediate need for healing take advantage of its cost reduction to Charged Bolts and Full Auto. (If you use 2/3 of your ammo healing or DPSing before you pop SCC the time spent using Full Auto and Charged Bolts during SCC will be time enough to regain most if not all of your ammo.)

• Use SCC as often as its available, fight allowing

• Utilize and healing downtime by throwing in DPS, the faster the boss dies the less damage he can do.

• Use the rotation ~AMP>MP to keep the cost of MP cheap

• Keep ~KB up as long as possible to minimize damage taken by the target by placing a ~KB at the end of your SCC, thus ensuring maximum uptime of ~KB

• I know there is a strong urge to just spam AMP but don't neglect your ammo and follow rotation, if you get your ammo too low it is VERY hard to gain back.

• Remember the rules from previous sections

The Kithide

Once you have gotten some serious experience under your belt you will most likely be at a stage where you will be able to use "Kit Style" effectively. Kit Style Utilizes the Rolling SCC healing style in-conjunction with your basic abilities to effectively maintain your groups health with minimal ammo and effort. With Kit Style you will have to have a strong understanding of the class and how each ability will effect your Ammo because you will be dancing on the line for the most part by using SCC on cooldown but also it will be used and utilized for its ammo granting ability.

Also In this level of healing we will start deviating away from the "~AMP>MP" SCC rotation in favor of a ~AMP spam on alternating raid members to spread the Armor buff around as much as possible to alleviate a currently underway raid wide damage phase, or to prepare for an imminent raid wide damage phase.

• If at full ammo, rotation should be AMP>MP (until just under 60% ammo)>SCC>~AMP>MP (including obvious portions such as maintaining KR and TP and using HS as fill to maintain ammo)

• The Method behind this strategy is to heal until your ammo is right at or under 60% (when ammo starts regenerating slower) then pop SCC to keep yourself right above the line between moderate and fast ammo regeneration.

• This method is a little more ammo intensive and requires a great deal of attentiveness and awareness so use KW and BI on CD to help maintain your ammo in between SCC phases

• Remember all the rules from the Basic, and rolling SCC technique as each technique builds upon the previous one.

• Experiment with spreading AMP and ~AMP to get the armor buff on a larger portion of the raid.

Yes yes yes i know, i *Could* have placed the Kithide healing style in with the advanced section but i wanted to emphasize the experience gap between healing the advanced style and the kit style as well add a little bit of my own flavor to the guild
:p
if I write a solid guide but you dont remember it, what good did it do?

If there are any additional questions or concerns please feel free to leave a comment and I will answer your question and update the guide to reflect that question, please let me know if there is anything ive missed.

Get out there and Earn us Commandos some of our healing credibility we have been so lacking for such a long time, and most importantly, Enjoy yourself.

Let me know how it all works out for you guys and post your preferred healing style =)

cheers mates see you all on the front lines.
Edited by haksilence

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there is No up-to-date guide on commando healing on these forums i thought id throw my own up, here it is. open to criticism and all constructive critique will be taken into account and if i find the points made valid i will edit the post to include said point and include the contributors name at the end.

CHEERS!

Table of Contents

1. The Terminology
  2. The Build
  3. The Abilites and Talents
  4. The Gear
  5. The Basics
  6. The Intermediates
  7. The Kithide

The Terminology

• Hammer Shots (HS)
  • Medical Probe (MP)
  • Trauma Probe (TP)
  • Kolto Bomb (KB)
  • Bacta Infusion (BI)
  • SCC Kolto Bomb (~KB)
  • SCC AMP (~AMP)
  • Armor Screen (AS)
  • Kolto Residue (KBR)
  • Kolto Pods (KBP)
  • Kolto Wave (KW)
  • Cooldown (CD)
  • Global Cooldown (GCD)
  • Heal over Time (HoT)

The Build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfkRR0cdkfGzZMccZb.3

This Build will be the optimal Build to maximize your Healing capabilities effectively, Although it is slightly more susceptible to pushback and has higher threat generation than typical other healing builds. if you find this to be a problem it can be easily remedied by either of these two builds:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRRR0cdkfGzZMccZo.3

This build sacrifices one % bonus to alacrity from "Weapon Calibrations" to fill out the talent "Steady Hands" and grant you the full protection from pushback and lowest threat possible.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfMRR0cdkfGzZMccZb.3

This build sacrifices the cost reduction on Concussion Charge (which is now KW) from the "Efficient Conversions" to fill out the talent "Steady Hands" and grant you the full protection from pushback and lowest threat possible.

I recommend the #2 Option for beginners as that will be the most easily managed spec and has no unusual twists in it and has the easiest ammo management.

The Abilities and Talents

• Hammer Shots (HS)

While CSC is active this ability is your bread and butter free heal, it heals for 100% for your bonus healing over three ticks over the time of one GCD (assuming that none of the ticks crit) so if you had 900 bonus healing using hammer shots would heal for a total of 900 before crits).

It builds 3 stacks towards SCC

AMP is your "Fast Heal" it heals for a moderate amount and has alot of mechanical advantages to such as a HoT and an armor buff, this is going to be your "set up" heal for alot of healing rotations; whether its healing the tank or group healing

Reduces the cost of your next MP by 8

• Medical Probe (MP)

This is your Solid or Big heal, its your hardest hitting heal but it is also your longest channeled heal and is the most expensive, It builds 6 stacks towards your SCC. use sparingly and situationaly. we will cover the proper uses of this heal in later sections

• Trauma Probe (TP)

Trauma Probe is the only HoDT (Heal on Damage Taken) currently in the game and should alwyas be placed on a tank. It comes with 13 charges and heals for a small-medium amount each time the target takes damage but is limited to once every 2 seconds in occurrence. It is the most cost effective heal in the game and should be up at all times on the target.

• Kolto Bomb (KB)

This will be your AOE Power. It is a 4 person Reticle AOE (I've found that keybinding it to a mouse button is the smoothest keybind for these types of abilities) With your spec this ability comes with a number of invaluable features such as; a 3% healing receive bonus to any it hits, and Kolto Pods

• Bacta Infusion 9 BI)

This is our top-tier ability granted from the healing tree, It Heals for about the same as AMP but is Instant-Cast, best used in place of a MP for quick on demand heals and as an ammo management utility

This is your Specialization ability unique to your CSC Allowing you to "Consume) 30 stacks built by your HS and MP for 8 ammo, a 5% boost to healing dealt for 10 seconds and a plethora of other buffs: Free Full Auto and Charged Bolts, ~KB, and ~AMP

• SCC Kolto Bomb (~KB)

~KB grants a 5% Bonus to Damage Reduction to ALL friendly targets in the target area. Use when raid-wide damage is anticipated or use on tank when spike damage is anticipated.

• SCC AMP (~AMP)

~AMP Has no cooldown and retains all of its original buffs such at the HoT (Preventative Medicine) and the 10% boost to armor

• Armor Screen (AS)

10% Armor buff granted by AMP and ~AMP, best suited for the main tank.

HoT Granted by AMP and ~AMP

The Ammo cell you will be using while healing, Enables the use of HS as a healing agent

• Kolto Residue (KBR)

A 3% bonus to healing received granted to all who step foot in a KB's AOE

• Kolto Pods (KBP)

A HoT equivalent in power to HS granted to ALL who stand in KB's AOE

• Kolto Wave (KW)

Your Concussion Charge modified through your skill tree to heal everyone in the AOE for a moderate amount, Free of cost so it also serves as an ammo management utility

• Recharge Cells (RC)

your "Spare Clip" use when your ammo hits 0% and save for absolute emergencies

• Reserve Power Cell (RPC)

An emergency CD making your next ability free, should be saved for absolute emergencies and should only be used with a full price MP

The Gear

As a healer you will be avoiding Accuracy at every opportunity, As a commando healer your healing stats will revolve mostly around Power and Alacrity.

My ideal Recommendation is to hit +-200-250 Critical Rating and +-250 Surge Rating, then progress to stack entirely Power and Alacrity from that point on. As for every class in every roll other than the shadow tank, avoid as much Endurance as possible as it directly competes with your mainstat on the gear pieces stat budget.

Augment for Aim.

The Basics

The Basic single-target and easy healing (little raid wide damage) rotation to follow for a commando is fairly simple but requires you watch several buff on your target...

The Basic ability Priority for commandos is:

TP>KB (to maintain KR)>AMP>MP>BI (used on CD when ammo under 70%)>HS (under 70% ammo and no immediate fatality threat is present)>KB (for single heal and KP)>KW (for ammo management when no immediate threat is present)

• AMP should be used on CD for its many buffs and the cost reduction to MP, this is essential to maintaining ammo as a commando
  • Smooth Burst damage phases with Bi so you dont tank out your ammo
  • ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep TP and KR running on the tank, and then keep AS and PM from AMP up as much as you can.
  • Save your SCC for Emergencies
  • Commando healing is allot of channeled healing, anticipate damage so you can start your Channel before the damage hits. you will develop this skill as you gain experience but is crucial to successfully healing as a commando

The Intermediates

For Intermediate commando healing we will introduce the use of SCC as a rolling buff instead of an emergency measure. this style of healing requires a strong knowledge of the current fight/encounter you are healing and a decent amount of experience healing as a commando because certain fights may require you to still save SCC for a particular phase.

while using the "Rolling SCC" healing style you will be popping SCC as soon as you get the 30 stacks, using ~KB to maintain a large up-time on the 5% DR on the raid as well as using ~AMP>MP>~AMP>MP while ammo allows (above 60-70% ammo)

This style will minimize the amount of healing you have to do because of the armor and DR buffs you can grant and is the desirable style when there is a large amount of raid-wide consistent damage going out. This style also is superior to the basic priority during high burst phases where the tank will require large amounts of healing, in which case you will maintain ~KB and then follow the SCC rotation ~AMP>MP while above 60-70% ammo

• Use SCC as often as its available, fight allowing
  • Use the rotation ~AMP>MP to keep the cost of MP cheap
  • Keep ~KB up as long as possible to minimize damage taken by the target
  • I know there is a strong urge to just spam AMP but don't neglect your ammo and follow rotation, if you tank your ammo too low it is VERY hard to gain back.
  • Remember the rules from previous sections

The Kithide

Once you have gotten some serious experience under your belt you will most likely be at a stage where you will be able to use "Kit Style" effectively. Kit Style Utilizes the Rolling SCC healing style in-conjunction with your basic abilities to effectively maintain your groups health with minimal ammo and effort. With Kit Style you will have to have a strong understanding of the class and how each ability will effect your Ammo because you will be dancing on the line for the most part by using SCC on cooldown but also it will be used and utilized for its ammo granting ability.

• If at full ammo, rotation should be AMP>MP (until just under 60% ammo)>SCC>~AMP>MP (including obvious portions such as maintaining KR and TP and using HS as fill to maintain ammo)
  • The Method behind this strategy is to heal until your ammo is right at or under 60% (when ammo starts regenerating slower) then pop SCC to keep yourself right above the line between moderate and fast ammo regeneration.
  • This method is a little more ammo intensive and requires a great deal of attentiveness and awareness so use KW and BI on CD to help maintain your ammo in between SCC phases
  • Remember all the rules from the Basic, and rolling SCC technique as each technique builds upon the previous one.

If there are any additional questions or concerns please feel free to leave a comment and I will answer your question and update the guide to reflect that question, please let me know if there is anything ive missed.

Get out there and Earn us commandos some of our healing credibility we have been so lacking for such a long time, and most importantly, Enjoy yourself.

Let me know how it all works out for you guys and post your preferred healing style =)

cheers mates see you all on the front lines.

I always teach newbies the correct stance in Trooper healing as anything less will diminish the chance for them to pick up good habits. Also keep in mind the class is the weakest of the 3 in terms of HPS output so it's imperative a beginner learn the correct way to use their heals.

Supercharge is the foundation of our healing rotation, I would teach that to a beginner immediately. Also being aware of charge and cleanses is also a must.

I would eliminate the beginner style and the intermediate style and go directly to the Kite style because once you understand it, it's not really that hard.

I always teach newbies the correct stance in Trooper healing as anything less will diminish the chance for them to pick up good habits. Also keep in mind the class is the weakest of the 3 in terms of HPS output so it's imperative a beginner learn the correct way to use their heals.

Supercharge is the foundation of our healing rotation, I would teach that to a beginner immediately. Also being aware of charge and cleanses is also a must.

I would eliminate the beginner style and the intermediate style and go directly to the Kite style because once you understand it, it's not really that hard.

Those advanced mechanics are difficult to master as a new commando so I provide different effective healing methods for the healers respective skill level to which they can move ahead on at their own pace. The skill progressive methods are almost required.

Also commandos no longer have the lowest HPS output not by a country mile.

Go do 16 man HM SaV hitting kolto bomb and kolto wave and tell me we have the lowest HPS output :).

I was nearly 1500 EHPS over out TOP sage and our top scoundrel on dashrood

I don't know what the other classes are doing these days but during boss fights on 8m sm ops, my mando hits between 3-4k hps and feels pretty solid. I only just started gearing him too, so i'm sure i'll see further improvement as i tweak my gear. I'm sure, probably only half of those are effective heals because its sm. I just like to pump them out and keep them going to get an idea of what my guy can do now. The scoundrel i was running with was pushing out similar numbers, so with around 6-8k hps, no one was dying that was for sure.....

Like Hak mentioned, put my mando in a 16m raid and the numbers will go even higher.... will have to try that soon.

Either way, certainly don't feel like a 2nd rate healer, thats for sure.

I don't know what the other classes are doing these days but during boss fights on 8m sm ops, my mando hits between 3-4k hps and feels pretty solid. I only just started gearing him too, so i'm sure i'll see further improvement as i tweak my gear. I'm sure, probably only half of those are effective heals because its sm. I just like to pump them out and keep them going to get an idea of what my guy can do now. The scoundrel i was running with was pushing out similar numbers, so with around 6-8k hps, no one was dying that was for sure.....

Like Hak mentioned, put my mando in a 16m raid and the numbers will go even higher.... will have to try that soon.

Either way, certainly don't feel like a 2nd rate healer, thats for sure.

exactly,the stigma that commandos are underpowered is a thing of the past, only problem now is there arent many mando healers

Those advanced mechanics are difficult to master as a new commando so I provide different effective healing methods for the healers respective skill level to which they can move ahead on at their own pace. The skill progressive methods are almost required.

That's an opinion not a fact, because in my experience I had no issue learning the "advance" healing method. Nor did I see other players have an issue catching the method once they learned it. You don't with hold any information but you do try to convey to new commando healers they should heal incorrectly before they can heal correctly.

If I had some one explained to me the ins and outs of my abilities I would have progressed much faster. The hardest mechanic to learn in healing is situational/group awareness. Theory can be taught less convoluted way.

Great healing is not about following rotations, at least in pvp, it's about understanding when to use certain abilities and WHY it will work.

Also commandos no longer have the lowest HPS output not by a country mile.

Go do 16 man HM SaV hitting kolto bomb and kolto wave and tell me we have the lowest HPS output .

I was nearly 1500 EHPS over out TOP sage and our top scoundrel on dashrood

That all comes down to your gear vs your allies. If you are matched up with equally geared and equally skilled players. You will not out heal a sage our a scoundrel. If you did, I am interested to see the evidence.

P.S. explain what you mean by "kolto wave".

Edited by Targarion

I did not teach people nor encourage people to heal "incorrectly" before healing correctly. Simply a simpler more easily managed method of healing.

As per out healing a sage

In 16 man him SaV being LOWER geared than our sage I out healed him by a substantial margin. The changed to KB and the maximum use of KP and KW are massive to our AOE healing.

If you are going to slander my guide with little trinkets of troll then your wasting your time. Scram. If you don't have any accrual feedback then save your breath

I did not teach people nor encourage people to heal "incorrectly" before healing correctly. Simply a simpler more easily managed method of healing.

You seem pretty certain that a commando healer can manage his healing output with a very basic rotation. I think that notion is correct for the lower level flash points, but would be met with more difficulty in the more advance ones. And it would certainly be disastrous in actual operations.

As per out healing a sage

In 16 man him SaV being LOWER geared than our sage I out healed him by a substantial margin. The changed to KB and the maximum use of KP and KW are massive to our AOE healing.

I am force to take your word on this but I remain skeptical of your claim (for now).

If you are going to slander my guide with little trinkets of troll then your wasting your time. Scram. If you don't have any accrual feedback then save your breath

Ahem... You said

open to criticism and all constructive critique will be taken into account

Because I am critical of your guide, that makes me a troll? :rolleyes: A troll doesn't want to engage in an actual discussion of ideas where I do. Apparently I touched a nerve though, because you resorted to an ad-hominem and I didn't.

Let me say plainly, I am not interested in slandering your guide. You put a lot of thought and care into it and I think that's great. However there is no "how to guide" that will work for everyone. I want to offer a counter perspective which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by Targarion

Also this guide is geared towards PVE. My PvP section of the guide is yet to come. So any mention of PvP at all is invalid.
Perhaps to save others the trouble, you might have considered to stress that notion some where in your thread? I look forward to your pvp guide, because that is my area of expertise. :)

Perhaps to save others the trouble, you might have considered to stress that notion some where in your thread? I look forward to your pvp guide, because that is my area of expertise. :)

I apologize for my eruption, having reread your post i see it as pure skepticism and critique and not an instance of trolling, upon initial reading it did come off as trolling although, my misunderstanding and error.

I apologize for my eruption, having reread your post i see it as pure skepticism and critique and not an instance of trolling, upon initial reading it did come off as trolling although, my misunderstanding and error.

Meh no worries. I have played my commando for a better part of a year now, but I am always learning new things about my class. If you say we can heal like our counterparts than it pushes me to better myself to reach those numbers.

Cheers.

Meh no worries. I have played my commando for a better part of a year now, but I am always learning new things about my class. If you say we can heal like our counterparts than it pushes me to better myself to reach those numbers.

Cheers.

we *can* outheal sages in AOE healing in a 16m environment (im not so sure in 8) but this requires us using KB on cooldown, every cooldown and letting Kolto pords do the rest. so its not exactly the best way to heal, but it gets the highest numbers.

Edited by haksilence

You seem pretty certain that a commando healer can manage his healing output with a very basic rotation. I think that notion is correct for the lower level flash points, but would be met with more difficulty in the more advance ones. And it would certainly be disastrous in actual operations.

Not saying I really know what I'm talking about here, but I just came back to my Commando the other night after MONTHS of playing other toons and did Lost Island with a tank that was... I'll be kind and say "sub-par" in terms of gear. The only heals I used 90% of the time were TP, KB, and BI as needed. Even when I needed bigger heals, usually AMP>MP sufficed. Now I know for sure that's not the best method for healing on a Mando, and yet nobody died on my (noob) watch... Just sayin. Plus, Lost Island is one of the harder high lvl flashpoints, and I probly screwed up a lot. =/

If a noob like me can do that, something must be wrong if you're having to use everything you have to heal the same kinda flashpoints.

Note: the Lost Island I did was SM, not sure if you were referring to HMs, but that wasn't indicated in your post so I assume not. If you were, then I'll shut up and go away, cuz I'm afraid I must admit I've never healed a HM or an OP... Like I said, I'm a noob on heals. =P

Edited by JaysoTohl

You can com pair healing lost island HM to organizing nap time at a nursery for care bares. So we won't even speak about SM.

This guide pertains to operation healing since none of the current 4 man FP instances are any real challenge.

Specificly 16 man HM TFB and SaV.

this might be my issue then. I raid a smuggler healer and am other-worldly when it comes to healing. I wanted a break though since I tend to max out my coms around wednesday with knocking out a couple guild raids and some FP's and my gear is half 69/half 72 fully aug'd and I feel like the smuggler is just about "finished" in terms of gearing.

so hence my swapping to the commando after weds and my smuggler is com capped and raid locked out. I approached gearing as I did with the smuggler... ie, getting crit to 30 to 35% and surge to 75% self-buffed and then fill in the rest with aim.

needless to say i came to these forums feeling like commando was underpowered haha. I can not even try and keep the whole raid up in HM s&v or TBF on the smuggler.. I'm usually watching a movie in the corner of the screen and not even paying attention as we succeed when I raid the smuggler sawbones. the commando however is struggling through the 4man HM's so i was confused. from this guide you're saying we don't want crit or surge, but power and alac? this goes totally against everything I've been gearing to post-55 on the commando lol.

this is going to take awhile to completely grind out an entire new set of gear, so I ask ahead of time.. is this power/alac stack the be all - end all of commando healing or is this merely the OP inventing an entirely new way of healing as a commando? is the 2.1 state of commando heals power/alac stack ? it's just going to take a whole lot of grinding to get the comms and credits to augment and tweak, so I am hoping for a definitive answer before I go down that road hehe :)

Edited by Feztonio

this might be my issue then. I raid a smuggler healer and am other-worldly when it comes to healing. I wanted a break though since I tend to max out my coms around wednesday with knocking out a couple guild raids and some FP's and my gear is half 69/half 72 fully aug'd and I feel like the smuggler is just about "finished" in terms of gearing.

so hence my swapping to the commando after weds and my smuggler is com capped and raid locked out. I approached gearing as I did with the smuggler... ie, getting crit to 30 to 35% and surge to 75% self-buffed and then fill in the rest with aim.

needless to say i came to these forums feeling like commando was underpowered haha. I can not even try and keep the whole raid up in HM s&v or TBF on the smuggler.. I'm usually watching a movie in the corner of the screen and not even paying attention as we succeed when I raid the smuggler sawbones. the commando however is struggling through the 4man HM's so i was confused. from this guide you're saying we don't want crit or surge, but power and alac? this goes totally against everything I've been gearing to post-55 on the commando lol.

this is going to take awhile to completely grind out an entire new set of gear, so I ask ahead of time.. is this power/alac stack the be all - end all of commando healing or is this merely the OP inventing an entirely new way of healing as a commando? is the 2.1 state of commando heals power/alac stack ? it's just going to take a whole lot of grinding to get the comms and credits to augment and tweak, so I am hoping for a definitive answer before I go down that road hehe :)

Optimally your going to want between 0-300 surge. My best reccomendation would be as close to 250 as you can.

Crit is VERY important to commando healing your gonna need "some" crit. This is where the personal preference comes in. You can choose to go straight power but optimally you will have a couple hundred crit rating. New testing by me is suggesting that around 300 is a good spot and am doing some sims and such to work that out.

So my gear suggestion is, if you choose to go optimaly, would be 250-300 surge, rest in alacrity. And then crit to about 300 or so and then the rest in power.

Of course augment for aim and take the high tertiary stat mods. (Medium aim, high power/crit)

Played properly in a raid environment a commando healer can easily out heal a scoundrel in a raid wide damage scenario. Example: dashrood, that fight on 16 m Hm a commando will almost certainly come out on top if played propperly

I'm currently using 250 crit / 360 surge / ~380 alacrity and it feels really solid. Aim ~3100.

I haven't had time to do too much further testing but my gut is telling me to play with 1 more piece of alacrity rather than surge. I'll check that out later.

Also very different way of healing than a smuggler too, so maybe more practice getting used to they way a mando heals compared to the smuggler.

I have a smuggler as my partner in raids and we are pretty even in 8 man, me probably a little in front. When we go 16 man and i can get my kolto on everyone, thats a different story.

I'm currently using 250 crit / 360 surge / ~380 alacrity and it feels really solid. Aim ~3100.

I haven't had time to do too much further testing but my gut is telling me to play with 1 more piece of alacrity rather than surge. I'll check that out later.

Also very different way of healing than a smuggler too, so maybe more practice getting used to they way a mando heals compared to the smuggler.

I have a smuggler as my partner in raids and we are pretty even in 8 man, me probably a little in front. When we go 16 man and i can get my kolto on everyone, thats a different story.

Yes commandos have a much different method of healing to them, plus the flow of their rotation is so drasicaly different as well. I would generally reccomend less surge since about 100 points of surge in your build are slamming into the DR pretty hard and don't really have much value.

Yes commandos have a much different method of healing to them, plus the flow of their rotation is so drasicaly different as well. I would generally reccomend less surge since about 100 points of surge in your build are slamming into the DR pretty hard and don't really have much value.

I'm of the same mind as yourself and am not recommending this as the "BiS" build for mandos, just a direction that i'm heading in while still doing more testing. I agree and have seen the DR's on surge and am playing around with alacrity to get a feel for it. I had it up nearly 500 at one stage and have been working it down to get a "feel" for it. Its a work in progress.

As i get more gear, i'll also be testing out crit a little more and see how it feels.

I have to ask why use aim augments. Main stat with the consular buff and 9% added to main stat from skill points (the most any class gets from skill points) boots bonus healing by .16 per point with a very modest boost to crit. Power boosts bonus healing by .17. Do te math, 6% more benefit to bonus healing from power point stacked which is more than main stat will add to crit.

IMO power adds more to healing, based on math.

Edited by ThatGuyToo

I have to ask why use aim augments. Main stat with the consular buff and 9% added to main stat from skill points (the most any class gets from skill points) boots bonus healing by .16 per point with a very modest boost to crit. Power boosts bonus healing by .17. Do te math, 6% more benefit to bonus healing from power point stacked which is more than main stat will add to crit.

IMO power adds more to healing, based on math.

If you base it on base healing capacity, then you'll see the power ones sneak in front. I believe the extra crit from the mainstat will put you ahead in the long run. I think the math has been done somewhere and the mainstat augs still come out in front, not by as much pre 2.0 but in front none the less....

On a side note, ran tfb hm 16man the other day on my mando and on a few of the boss fights ended up with a sustained hps of over 4k. I think 4400hps was the average on one of the fights.

I haven't ran with any sages or scoundrels who can keep up in 16man, just wondering if they are out there at all? Or is the mando output, out there by itself atm.....?