Nautolans. a rushed species.

Osoygatitalove

Doesn't it bother when you get delivered something that is incomplete, especially with the details.

Here i list a few of details that need SERIOUS polishing for nautolans:

- No darkside corruption (i understand this is work in progress)

- Eyes are not blinking, unlike nautolan companions and NPC

- Social abbility is the same as zabrak, i mean you did unique socials for cathar and togruta (SHAME on you Bioware, fix this plz!)

- No red nautolan? really, these are part of the legends canon, they exist, just like red twilek and chagrian.

Edited by Osoygatitalove

Nautolans. a rushed species.

Mamma Nautolan: Kids! Get in the orbital shuttle or you'll be late for school!

Kid Nautolan #1: But Mom, Josie hid my favorite blue monkey lizard. I can't go without it! It's show and tell!

Kid Nautolan #2: Did not!

Kid Nautolan #1: Did too!

Kid Nautolan #2: Did not!

Mamma Nautolan: You two get in this shuttle right this minute before I tie your tentacles together! Now move!

Edited by xordevoreaux

I've seen DS corruption (at least red eyes and pale skin with the veins showing) while playing with the Nautolan options on a DS5 character, so that's there even if not perfect right now

- Eyes are not blinking, unlike nautolan companions and NPC.

Hm, while watching cutscenes, Nautolans NPCs are more squinting their eyes than actually blinking and that looks pretty weird

Doesn't it bother when you get delivered something that is incomplete, especially with the details.

- Social abbility is the same as zabrak, i mean you did unique socials for cathar and togruta (SHAME on you Bioware, fix this plz!)

- No red nautolan? really, these are part of the legends canon, they exist, just like red twilek and chagrian.

When Togruta were released...

"The Togruta were rushed!"

When Cathar were released...

"The Cathar were rushed!"

When SWTOR released...

"All these races were rushed!"

Literally every race since launch/release has had these types of complaints, ie not enough skin colors, eye options, faces, etc, so were Nautolans actually rushed or do they just possess the same underwhelming qualities that all races have had since the game launched?

Edited by Darth-Obvious

When Togruta were released...

"The Togruta were rushed!"

When Cathar were released...

"The Cathar were rushed!"

When SWTOR released...

"All these races were rushed!"

Literally every race since launch/release has had these types of complaints, ie not enough skin colors, eye options, faces, etc, so were Nautolans actually rushed or do they just possess the same underwhelming qualities that all races have had since the game launched?

uhhmm.. no.

Cathar and Togruta didn't have the issues im pointing out.

#ihavespoken

uhhmm.. no.

#ihavespoken

Not those specific issues, no, but they received criticism for being incomplete either way, I've seen it happen with all the new races that were released after launch.

Maybe the devs should take more time to really work out every new species they release, not rush it, but take the time to add a sufficient amount of appearance options. Sure, you won't be able to account for every single player preference out there, but taking in a lot of feedback before releasing a species would be highly appreciated. The Togruta for example, the devs should have asked whether players would be okay with the male Togruta having ludicrously short lekku. Having asked players beforehand, gathering the information about what we wanted to see, would have helped in making the new species seem more complete and enjoyable.

With the Nautolans for example, there's only one facial texture that I like and it's with the males. All the female facial textures on the Nautolans seem really weird and the males have the same, barring the one I spoke of. And the frustrating fact is, is that all the female Nautolan NPC's have great facial designs, those look really good. Sadly, the same absolutely doesn't apply to the playable Nautolan species. Oh yes, and red Nautolans definitely should have been included!

Edited by Ylliarus

you forgot

.... Muppet Mouth

Seems like NPC nauts all had proper face rigging to make their lips move... but not player characters, which all seem to speak like a demented desynched kermit the frog.

... and Color Confusion

The color you pick during character creation, may or may not have any relation to the color you get when you actually start playing said character.

... and tons of Clipping issues

you forgot

.... Muppet Mouth

Seems like NPC nauts all had proper face rigging to make their lips move... but not player characters, which all seem to speak like a demented desynched kermit the frog.

... and Color Confusion

The color you pick during character creation, may or may not have any relation to the color you get when you actually start playing said character.

I don't think they added orange nautolan either, as advertised.

I think the playable nautolans look fine, but the colours could use some improvements. Furthermore, I also like the look of NPC nautolans, and wish we had a playable face option like that. Their eyes are bigger, and noses are different. Playable nautolan noses don't have much variation. Edited by Neulwen

To avoid comparisons with the NPC Nautolans, I recommend the devs remove them from the game now that a more realistic Nautolan has been created for player characters. Once this is done, replace them with PC Nautolans.

Before you tell me I am wrong about it being a more realistic looking Nautolan, do not argue with me on this. I just know it, ok? :csw_yoda:

I think the colors could definitely be improved upon. My biggest issue is the muddled coloring on their markings. Also, more jewelry options ought to be available.

To avoid comparisons with the NPC Nautolans, I recommend the devs remove them from the game now that a more realistic Nautolan has been created for player characters. Once this is done, replace them with PC Nautolans.

Before you tell me I am wrong about it being a more realistic looking Nautolan, do not argue with me on this. I just know it, ok? :csw_yoda:

I think the colors could definitely be improved upon. My biggest issue is the muddled coloring on their markings. Also, more jewelry options ought to be available.

In terms of realism, yes you are correct, they do look more like the real deal should. But... knowing something is realistic and seeing it as aesthetically pleasing are two different things :p I will admit though, the devs did a great job on the headtails, especially that you can have them in various arrangements. It would be so damn neat if they did the same for Twi'lek one day, where you can have various lekku arrangements with them as well. Maybe then finally my Assassin will stuck cutting into her headtails when she is running with that double-bladed lightsaber of hers :p

uhhmm.. no.

#ihavespoken

Funny, I don't remember there being any red Cathar :p

Also, let's not forget about how people have been completely satisfied with a race like Cyborgs. They were exactly what people wanted from that race and didn't feel lackluster in the slightest.

Again, it's almost like all the races in the game are at the same level of not exactly what people wanted. Weird huh?

#YouSpokePoorly

I don't think they added orange nautolan either, as advertised.

Really, where? Or are you talking about a screenshot of a character model in a location that has orange lighting?

you forgot

.... Muppet Mouth

The NPC character models don't have all the rigging & necessary elements required that the player character faces need in order to be playable. This was explained when the Cathar were released & it's why their faces differed so much from the vanilla ones.

... and Color Confusion

The color you pick during character creation, may or may not have any relation to the color you get when you actually start playing said character.[/qutoe]

Blame the lighting. Each planet has it's own lighting, so the way a character looks on Korriban with it's red lighting is going to differ when they're on a planet like Hutta with a more greenish hue.

The character customization kiosk when editing your characters also has a different style of lighting as well when compared to other locations.

I feel like this was a known evil or monkey's paw situation going into them being added as a race. I've wanted to see Nautolans be playable for quite awhile now, but I knew there was no way they were going to be able to add them without that issue. The game has a lot of serious clipping issues since launch, head tails, cloaks getting stuck side ways inside your character during cutscenes, etc.

you forgot

.... Muppet Mouth

... and Color Confusion

All this.

And before anyone chimes in with the usual "of course there is clipping issues, whatdaya expect!?!"

No, Nautolans do feel rushed and sloppy. Anyone that proudly proclaims that they haven't seen it simply haven't run enough of the possible combinations. It's not just armor clipping, which is expected, but tentacles clipping themselves before you add any armor into it.

Animations are sloppy. Most seem fine for pew pew types but try some of those head choices with a Jedi/Sith Nautolan and when they take their combat stance it looks like their tentacles were sat on by Darth Baras. Many of the combinations simply do not work. It's difficult to tell until you make a character, log in, and play with it a bit. Once you know what works and what doesn't, it's not a big deal... but, that's poor design if we the users have to figure it out ourselves and the character creation fails to account for possible problems.

My proposed solution is this...

Make all in-game appearance change free so long as you don't change the species itself. It can be put on a timer, four weeks, maybe (four hours would be sufficient).. ? Then we can change the color if we don't like the way it actually looks in-game. If we notice one style of head causes a bunch of problems with animations, we can change it, in-game. The need to constantly re-roll toons because of all the unforseeable problems is unique to Nautolans and doesn't apply to Cathar, Togruta, etc.

Edited by red_onion

They can't remove them from the game as there are number of them that are in cutscenes. Cutscenes that are already rigged/scripted, have dialogue, etc.

On Coruscant for example there's a quest where there are two Nautolans who make reference to their homeworld.

I do think that if SWTOR were to ever get a re-work/overhaul the way Final Fantasy 14 did with A Realm Reborn that (one of the things) they should do is replace all of the existing versions of the Cathar, Togruta, & Nautolan NPCs with the updated models. That would obviously be great for consistency however another benefit would be that the NPCs could have variety to them instead of you being on a planet like Taris that's full of Cathar where it's just the same Male & Female Cathar repeating.

I can't get past that GRIN mouth . But nope...

They need to fix it . And don't tell me it's normal . Don't compare it to the Naut in the game, compare it in the cc . All the other species , look neutral when you make a new character...save for the Naut...who are grinning..without cause..no fear..............

Urgh...I wanted to make a JK or a commando...

but nope . You could say 'Just use a helmet'' , I hate helmet! I never use them..never used them for years lol . (I mean I put them on my toon, but save for the hood that I love, any helmet...I use hide-helmet) .

I'm gonna hold on till they fix them..IF they fix them . Plz fix that mouth-grin...it make them look like they have buggy eyes and grinning like lunatic....

And before anyone chimes in with the usual "of course there is clipping issues, whatdaya expect!?!"

No, Nautolans do feel rushed and sloppy.

You mean compared to rest of the game that's had significant clipping issues since launch?

Even aside from clipping issues, how do you look at a race like Cyborgs and think/believe that they don't fall into the same lackluster situation of features?

Anyone that proudly proclaims that they haven't seen it simply haven't run enough of the possible combinations. It's not just armor clipping, which is expected, but tentacles clipping themselves before you add any armor into it.

Animations are sloppy. Most seem fine for pew pew types but try some of those head choices with a Jedi/Sith Nautolan and when they take their combat stance it looks like their tentacles were sat on by Darth Baras. Many of the combinations simply do not work. It's difficult to tell until you make a character, log in, and play with it a bit. Once you know what works and what doesn't, it's not a big deal... but, that's poor design if we the users have to figure it out ourselves and the character creation fails to account for possible problems.

My proposed solution is this...

Make all in-game appearance change free so long as you don't change the species itself. It can be put on a timer, four weeks, maybe (four hours would be sufficient).. ? Then we can change the color if we don't like the way it actually looks in-game. If we notice one style of head causes a bunch of problems with animations, we can change it, in-game. The need to constantly re-roll toons because of all the unforseeable problems is unique to Nautolans and doesn't apply to Cathar, Togruta, etc.

You can see all these issues you're talking about by simply making a new character.

Changing your race at the kiosk before generating a new character in character creation is dumb/moronic.

It is super simple/easy to make a new character &...

- Watch the opening cutscene for each of the different classes. All of which feature a lot of movement now that they've been reworked/redone.

- Escape out of the intro cutscene when it starts or before it finishes & seeing what your character looks like running around or in combat. Y

- Escape out of the intro, claim any of armor sets you've unlocked from the Cartel Market, equip them & restart the intro cutscene while wearing a new armor set or you can just see what the armor set looks like on your character while running around in it.

Spending the money to race change your character before you've done stuff like that is an insane thing to do. That's a very easy process to take advantage of, & you've got 8 different cinematic class intros to see animations, dialogue, etc, in.

I can't get past that GRIN mouth . But nope...

They need to fix it . And don't tell me it's normal . Don't compare it to the Naut in the game, compare it in the cc . All the other species , look neutral when you make a new character...save for the Naut...who are grinning..without cause..no fear..............

Urgh...I wanted to make a JK or a commando...

but nope . You could say 'Just use a helmet'' , I hate helmet! I never use them..never used them for years lol . (I mean I put them on my toon, but save for the hood that I love, any helmet...I use hide-helmet) .

I'm gonna hold on till they fix them..IF they fix them . Plz fix that mouth-grin...it make them look like they have buggy eyes and grinning like lunatic....

I believe the grinning thing is because of Kit Fisto, who is most remembered from his first appearance in Episode 2 where he shows off a crazy smile when he first appears. This is also no doubt why the Social interaction for Nautolans involves them smiling.

Can the Nautolans be better? Of course. There are a number of improvements they could make even without changing any of the meshes or animations for them, but this is something that also applies to all the other races in the game as well.

SWTOR's character creation system hasn't been great since the game launched. A lot of people have gotten used to it's shortcomings over the years, but every time a new race is released people get hyper-focused on that new race's shortcomings instead of realizing that the entire character creation system needs a rework/overhaul & that any & all new races are going to fall short when the existing framework is the way it is.

***but every time a new race is released people get hyper-focused on that new race's shortcomings instead of realizing that the entire character creation system needs a rework/overhaul & that any & all new races are going to fall short when the existing framework is the way it is.****

You think peoples don't wish BW would update the cc ? Fix the bazillions of Bugs that still exist ? Update the texture, eyes and what not and add new stuff that are missing from other species and what not ?

They do . But the Nay sayer on this forum don't seem to get tired from the old Mantra ''BW cant do that, BW dont have ressource, BW has short man powers , Its fine as it is , SUB MORE if you want stuff that you won't get , JUST SUB! I SUB ! yeah I know EA isnt putting money back..but hey ! SUB REGARDLESS cose I love this game ! SO SUB DAMNIT!''

As long as you have these 'Defender' , I doubt anything will change . EA seem to be happy collecting the money without pouring some back in the game .

Loyale Subber are happy being blind and pray daily to their Oblivious shrine .

Those who wishes things changed , get the zealot preaching and eventually....shutup and won't say a thing.

whats the point anyway ?

I'd love to see the Character Creator worked into something a bit closer to Dragon Age: Origin. I'd much rather be able to customize individual features than limited to the same boring facial skins. The Nauts in particular feel limited, but I suppose that was to be expected to some degree. Still, I made one, did the opening cutscene and haven't logged into her since. Absolutely hate the female face design. It looks over contoured and harsh. It's a real pity, I was excited about their addition, but unless they add more options to the faces I will likely never play one. Guess I'll just stick to my army of Chiss.

They do . But the Nay sayer on this forum don't seem to get tired from the old Mantra ''BW cant do that, BW dont have ressource, BW has short man powers , Its fine as it is , SUB MORE if you want stuff that you won't get , JUST SUB! I SUB ! yeah I know EA isnt putting money back..but hey ! SUB REGARDLESS cose I love this game ! SO SUB DAMNIT!''

As long as you have these 'Defender' , I doubt anything will change . EA seem to be happy collecting the money without pouring some back in the game .

Those who wishes things changed , get the zealot preaching and eventually....shutup and won't say a thing.

whats the point anyway ?

Sometimes there are suggestions that don't do any good. For example, yes everybody would like more options in the Character Creator, however saying "They should add face sliders like Bethesda games." or whatever doesn't accomplish anything because the game can't support that sort of thing based on the way the characters were built. That sort of thing would have needed to be in the game since launch.

Suggestions like...

- Separate the eyebrows from complexions

- Allow Bounty Hunter/Trooper/Inquistor markings to be available for other classes once you've completed those class stories

- Mix & match features from both Zabrak races

- More legacy skin tone unlocks like the Twi'leks have

...and so on. Those type of things don't require them to even generate any new art assets, but yet would still allow for more variety.

How can you make the most out of what already exists in the game, or what things can be added that aren't ridiculous that would add more options instead of continually suggesting things like "add face sliders" or "you should be able to change your height" & whatever else that aren't doable.

"They should add more class stories" isn't something they can do. We know that the game isn't in a place where they can do that & hasn't been since launch, but instead what are ways they can add class-specific content, dialogue, etc, within what is doable in the game.

We're not in a situation where the sky is the limit with the game, but rather there are a number of restrictive barriers that the game has that we can't do anything about, however there's still a lot of stuff that can be done within those restrictions & often times you can come up with some creative ideas when working in those limitations.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGoqQwRXkAA9FPf.jpg

I'm sorry but your fanboism is over 9000

Whereas your lies and ignorance is over what number at this point?

Level 1 character I made with the same skin color as in that pic, a color that is yellow btw, not orange.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIFyFgmW4AERnuJ?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIFyFgmWoAEALgC?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIFyFgqX0AAHfJc?format=jpg&name=large

So, what is it, are you lying, trying to spread false info, are color blind, or what exactly?

Edited by Darth-Obvious

***but every time a new race is released people get hyper-focused on that new race's shortcomings instead of realizing that the entire character creation system needs a rework/overhaul & that any & all new races are going to fall short when the existing framework is the way it is.****

You think peoples don't wish BW would update the cc ? Fix the bazillions of Bugs that still exist ? Update the texture, eyes and what not and add new stuff that are missing from other species and what not ?

whats the point anyway ?

I know you asked "what's the point anyway?" But, I got to say you made great points! I guess I apply my lack of critical assessment of the other models to the Nautolans. I really just go with the flow.

I think, the only thing that irked the hell out of me was the greenish-black hair color when you tried to make the hair color black with the newer hairdos. It drove me crazy.

I always liked the newer 'dos, but hated that pond-scum green/black color so usually went with old 'dos because I liked wearing black hair color on my female toons best. Gothic look ftw.

i expected this

https://imgur.com/xSM2WfB

But we got something that was not that.. No matter what we create, the Nautolans we are able to create look like they have an alien version of down syndrome. I'm glad I did not waste any points or money purchasing the race.

It would be nice if there was a face option that looked closer to the existing NPCs, however we know based on what has been stated previously that they can't just use the existing NPC faces.

I remember being disappointed when the Cathar released because it was a race I wanted to see playable based on what the NPC models looked like.

Now that they've released 3 additional races that people have been unhappy with in terms of how the player character versions look compared to the NPC versions I think it's overwhelmingly obvious that these species were never meant to be playable & why they chose the races they did to make playable & those that were relegated to NPCs.

We, unfortunately, build up an expectation of the best possible outcome with these sort of things, such as is typically the case with video game development where you/we romanticize the possiblity of what could be, but then when said thing isn't what we've built up in our heads it becomes even more disapointing.