Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

I would like those flirt, flirt or insult conversations to **** though. Just had a convo with Mako where my easy goiing BH could either flirt, flirt or insult her. (He chose to insult because Mako's on his nope nope nope list but letting her down easily would've been far more in character) Those conversations need to go. A neutral rejection is all that's needed not the complete elimination of flirts.
I get a queasy feeling thinking about this strategy being applied to SG flirts. It would kind of feel like pandering to the need of haters to be able to express their hate. Ugh!

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a queasy feeling thinking about this strategy being applied to SG flirts. It would kind of feel like pandering to the need of haters to be able to express their hate. Ugh!

Why? The whole arguement for adding has been "You won't see my option to SGR flirt" therefore you won't see their option to "SGR insult"

Also, why break away from what they've done with OGR's? If OGR's are stuck with Flirt/Flirt/Insult and we're going for equality here, then SGR's should have Flirt/Flirt/Insult.

Mind you, I don't recall all the options being Flirt/Flirt/Insult, and more Flirt/Flirt/Turn Down, and how one turns them down seemed to vary and not always be Insult.

Also, why break away from what they've done with OGR's? If OGR's are stuck with Flirt/Flirt/Insult and we're going for equality here, then SGR's should have Flirt/Flirt/Insult.

In theory, yeah... but it's not exactly symmetrical, eh? I haven't seen widespread heterophobia on this forum (in fact, i haven't seen any). And I haven't seen any concentrated efforts to ban OGRs on the grounds that they're 'wrong', 'offensive', 'not for children', etc.

Besides, maybe this could be the place for BW to start fixing up their turn-down options?

And perhaps it's a teachable moment for the anti-SGRs..... :)

In theory, yeah... but it's not exactly symmetrical, eh? I haven't seen widespread heterophobia on this forum (in fact, i haven't seen any). And I haven't seen any concentrated efforts to ban OGRs on the grounds that they're 'wrong', 'offensive', 'not for children', etc.

Besides, maybe this could be the place for BW to start fixing up their turn-down options?

And perhaps it's a teachable moment for the anti-SGRs..... :)

You either want equality or you don't. Though I'd disagree with there not being any heterophobia, as I'd call a couple of posts that were so anti-OGR as being that, and onthe same level of anti-SGR.

But fixing turn down options is a good idea! They could give Flirt/Turn Down/Insult (mind you, I'm just sticking with three options here, as I've never seen more than 3 options for chats).

Also, we don't need teaching moments for the anti-SGRs in a game, as it's 1) a game 2) won't teach anything anyways and just come off as a terrible idea.

I get a queasy feeling having it applied to either SGR or OGR... not because of the inclusion of an insult but for the lack of variation. I'd prefer to see an aggressive/relaxed option system so the player could accept aggressively or relaxed, be neutral or reject in an aggressive or relaxed manner. It could even include ongoing neutral/indecisive options so the companion could eventually explode at the PC in frustration over their wishy-washiness. It'd be fun.

I do agree with such a system being applied to everyone, if only because it allows the more aggressive characters to be played aggressively. Just don't make the aggressive rejections homophobic (or heterophobic). Of all the options it seems the most suitable compromise.

Also, we don't need teaching moments for the anti-SGRs in a game, as it's 1) a game 2) won't teach anything anyways and just come off as a terrible idea.

I meant it more in the sense of modelling civilized behaviour, than overtly teaching. But actually, now that I've thought about it, I agree with you – it was a silly notion.

I'd prefer to see an aggressive/relaxed option system so the player could accept aggressively or relaxed, be neutral or reject in an aggressive or relaxed manner. It could even include ongoing neutral/indecisive options so the companion could eventually explode at the PC in frustration over their wishy-washiness. It'd be fun.

This would be great!

Just don't make the aggressive rejections homophobic (or heterophobic).

Yes. This was my basic point, I guess.

I get a queasy feeling having it applied to either SGR or OGR... not because of the inclusion of an insult but for the lack of variation. I'd prefer to see an aggressive/relaxed option system so the player could accept aggressively or relaxed, be neutral or reject in an aggressive or relaxed manner. It could even include ongoing neutral/indecisive options so the companion could eventually explode at the PC in frustration over their wishy-washiness. It'd be fun.

I do agree with such a system being applied to everyone, if only because it allows the more aggressive characters to be played aggressively. Just don't make the aggressive rejections homophobic (or heterophobic). Of all the options it seems the most suitable compromise.

While it would likely come off as homophobic/hetrophobic, I'd love the chat option of "Ick! No. No. No. Ewww. You're a boy/girl." because it would remind me of the SI scene of "It was me! Me! Me! Me!" :)

While it would likely come off as homophobic/hetrophobic, I'd love the chat option of "Ick! No. No. No. Ewww. You're a boy/girl." because it would remind me of the SI scene of "It was me! Me! Me! Me!" :)

I can see how it'd fit, I just think putting those options in would be a minefield of trouble.

I can see how it'd fit, I just think putting those options in would be a minefield of trouble.

I doubt it would be any trouble at all given that you can express a want through dialogue to slaughter not only your enemies but innocents who get in the way too among a whole host of other things. It should be remembered that the dialogue is a character choice, not a reflection of personal acceptance and discriminations in this context. That would solve a whole heap of trouble.

If they leave it open for interpretation, like "You? Get away from me..." or something, it could work. There's any number of reasons to throw that in an NPC's face, let our jerkass characters be jerkasses - keep some tastefulness about it, sure, but Darkside options should be just that.

As someone said earlier, open up the rest of the dialogue wheel - the left-side is just gathering dust. Gentle letdown, and crushing response both have their places.

If they leave it open for interpretation, like "You? Get away from me..." or something, it could work. There's any number of reasons to throw that in an NPC's face, let our jerkass characters be jerkasses - keep some tastefulness about it, sure, but Darkside options should be just that.

As someone said earlier, open up the rest of the dialogue wheel - the left-side is just gathering dust. Gentle letdown, and crushing response both have their places.

Oh! No. No. Don't want any darkside or lightside points for such a chat option. I'm thinking more of a fun/cute little dialogue option to have in there.

I doubt it would be any trouble at all given that you can express a want through dialogue to slaughter not only your enemies but innocents who get in the way too among a whole host of other things. It should be remembered that the dialogue is a character choice, not a reflection of personal acceptance and discriminations in this context. That would solve a whole heap of trouble.

I'd agree with that except I've seen people argue black and blue that same sex relationships shouldn't be in this game because it'd be damaging for children (ignoring the torture, genocide, abuse and more that's already in the game). You're right, it should be remembered thusly... but that doesn't mean it will be.

This is why I say it's what I would consider to be the best compromise - removing the 'ew but you're a boy/girl/goat' option and replacing it with something more anomalous and less direct (something, say, that could imply it's the companion's gender, but could also be their species, their taste in music or their generally scabby nature) would be not only safer but more flexible.

Oh! No. No. Don't want any darkside or lightside points for such a chat option. I'm thinking more of a fun/cute little dialogue option to have in there.

Fair point - if they open it up, that would leave some room for "in-between" choices. "Only a Sith deals in absolutes", as they say... while ignoring how that's an absolute.

im just hopin my darkside SW male can find a nice juicy innnocent jedi padawan to corrupt and make his own :3 omg my life would finally be complete. and an ongoin relationship would be the coolest ever. especially in the rp department. but it would just be cool for bonus dialogue to occur during a story mission cuz ur in a relationship with ur companion.

im just hopin my darkside SW male can find a nice juicy innnocent jedi padawan to corrupt and make his own :3 omg my life would finally be complete. and an ongoin relationship would be the coolest ever. especially in the rp department. but it would just be cool for bonus dialogue to occur during a story mission cuz ur in a relationship with ur companion.

Sadly, this just seems further off, as the SW has no male jedi to corrupt. :/

This is why I say it's what I would consider to be the best compromise - removing the 'ew but you're a boy/girl/goat' option and replacing it with something more anomalous and less direct (something, say, that could imply it's the companion's gender, but could also be their species, their taste in music or their generally scabby nature) would be not only safer but more flexible.

I don't think "ew but you're a boy/girl" is necessarily bad/homophobic/whatever. It's not very tactful, for sure. What I would consider 'homophobic' would be "ew but you're a boy/girl and you suck b/c you like boys/girls".

Though, it would be problematic if, say, only male PCs could use the "ew but your'e a boy" line and only with male NPCs.

I don't think "ew but you're a boy/girl" is necessarily bad/homophobic/whatever. It's not very tactful, for sure. What I would consider 'homophobic' would be "ew but you're a boy/girl and you suck b/c you like boys/girls".

Though, it would be problematic if, say, only male PCs could use the "ew but your'e a boy" line and only with male NPCs.

"Sorry, you're not my type" or "I'm not interested in you in that way, sorry. Can we still be friends?" should be options as friendly let downs for companions.

And the chat wheel thing? I'll try to find the post I made about it. Wish me luck, I could blast right through in my explosive archaeology.

Edit: Tis here - Action and Diplomacy Whee. Switch that up for romance conversations with "furthering" and "stopping" sides, giving you about six options on what you want to do (Flirt, Talk, Intimate or Kind Break Up, Mean Break Up, Non-committal Response.)

Probably wouldn't happen though.

Edited by Tatile

My suggestion for it wasn't to be tactful, but more to be humorous. :p And it would be. And it could just be one of many options if one doesn't want to be serious.

"Sorry, you're not my type" or "I'm not interested in you in that way, sorry. Can we still be friends?" should be options as friendly let downs for companions.

I agree there should be friendly options too.

Which companions have the 'flirt or be mean' options again? I was just talking to Vector with my one Agent and it seems like I can just easily avoid flirts and pick "nice" dialog (but then again he doesn't flirt with you).

I think Doc has one like that (you get 2 options that are flirts or you can reject him not so nicely)....I'm trying to think of some others. I don't play male PCs so I don't know about female companions.

JE did it so well, you talk to Skye, you shut him down, boom you're done with him and on to Silk Fox. I don't know how many times I had to reject Doc, it was certainly more than once, and obviously you couldn't then move on to Kira, as you should be able to. I don't play male characters so I don't know how it works, but it seems like female characters tend to get the worst LIs in certain Bioware games lately, like in ME2 where you literally can't even have a conversation with that one guy, whose name I can't remember right now, because literally everything is flirting, and your own character flirts back even if you don't want them to. Ironicly, in ME3 if anybody actually liked that and had romanced him in ME2, they found he had left them for somebody else, and they were left all alone. Obviously I didn't have that problem, but for anybody who would actually romance that guy, they still ended up screwed anyway, literally everybody lost with having that character around. Im guessing there are no such problems that any players of male characters have. Thats just all the more reason to treat everybody equally and fairly, its sickening to constantly be hit on by doc, and I don't even remember whether there was a 'neutral' response or not, but I didn't want one, I wanted to be as negative as possible, to somehow get the guy to leave my female JK alone. Its only fair that there be an equal number of females constantly hitting on my character, I think its safe to say that if that happened, and for whatever reason a particular female character wasn't to my liking, I definitely would want to let them down as gently as possible, so I'd put a higher priority on 'neutral' or 'letting them down gently' options for the female characters who hit on you, because generally speaking they arent going to be as incredibly annoying in their flirting comments as folks like Doc, and thus would be more deserving of being let down easy. But ultimately we have to actually 'have' flirt options with those characters before we can decide whether or not we want to go for it, or let them down easily, or shoot them down harshly. Thats the point, give us the same options as everybody else, and I'm sure we'll be plenty satisfied with the ways we can turn down anybody we'd actually want to turn down.

JE did it so well, you talk to Skye, you shut him down, boom you're done with him and on to Silk Fox. I don't know how many times I had to reject Doc, it was certainly more than once, and obviously you couldn't then move on to Kira, as you should be able to. I don't play male characters so I don't know how it works, but it seems like female characters tend to get the worst LIs in certain Bioware games lately, like in ME2 where you literally can't even have a conversation with that one guy, whose name I can't remember right now, because literally everything is flirting, and your own character flirts back even if you don't want them to. Ironicly, in ME3 if anybody actually liked that and had romanced him in ME2, they found he had left them for somebody else, and they were left all alone. Obviously I didn't have that problem, but for anybody who would actually romance that guy, they still ended up screwed anyway, literally everybody lost with having that character around. Im guessing there are no such problems that any players of male characters have. Thats just all the more reason to treat everybody equally and fairly, its sickening to constantly be hit on by doc, and I don't even remember whether there was a 'neutral' response or not, but I didn't want one, I wanted to be as negative as possible, to somehow get the guy to leave my female JK alone. Its only fair that there be an equal number of females constantly hitting on my character, I think its safe to say that if that happened, and for whatever reason a particular female character wasn't to my liking, I definitely would want to let them down as gently as possible, so I'd put a higher priority on 'neutral' or 'letting them down gently' options for the female characters who hit on you, because generally speaking they arent going to be as incredibly annoying in their flirting comments as folks like Doc, and thus would be more deserving of being let down easy. But ultimately we have to actually 'have' flirt options with those characters before we can decide whether or not we want to go for it, or let them down easily, or shoot them down harshly. Thats the point, give us the same options as everybody else, and I'm sure we'll be plenty satisfied with the ways we can turn down anybody we'd actually want to turn down.

So they should make a female character who acts like Doc, so you will be as annoyed with her as you are with Doc?

So they should make a female character who acts like Doc, so you will be as annoyed with her as you are with Doc?

just delurking to let you know you are the worst

do you deliberately misunderstand everything anyone says ever or do you really just not get it

what

just delurking to let you know you are the worst

do you deliberately misunderstand everything anyone says ever or do you really just not get it

what

Did you seriously come out of lurking to bump a thread? Or did the idea of a female version of doc just bother you that much?

I was curious on something. We see posts about "OMG! DOC'S FLIRTING! I hate Doc! No one should flirt like that!" then it goes into "Flirt with SG" at which point I asked a simple question. If it was a female who acted that way, would it bother them. Basically, is it the flirting or is it the gender that was bothering them.

I'm actually puzzled as to why that question bothered you so much that you came out of lurking. Or was it just your way of bumping a thread?