Post 1.1 Ilum PVP Issues Discussion

JovethGonzalez

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50+ vs 12... Only concern is killing... Other side farming us for insane Valor boosts.... absolutely horrible... They managed to make Illum worse. :( Not only can we not get our daily/weekly done, they are going to max their valor, getting better gear with which to stomp us harder... Thanks for nothing...

+1

Republic is doomed : 18/01/2012.

Hi folks,

We're currently investigating potential issues related to the Ilum open world PVP area post 1.1. We understand that this is a topic of much discussion and we ask that you please direct all discussions to this thread.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things on mind when responding:

• No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
  • Please stay on topic.
  • If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

We will update as soon as we have more information.

Start by stopping faction vs faction fights. If you know a faction is unbalanced creating a system that caters to that imbalance is not a good idea.

Then you take the extra step to allow guilds to fight one another instead of factions. Guilds will help police population imbalances. Look at games like EvE instead of WoW. EvE has 4 factions for PvE, but for PvP it is all about the corps/alliances.

If you want to create epic PvP, then start by going down the EvE or Shadowbane route.

My suggestion for the current state of Ilum is to close the zone as others have suggested. Don't allow this catastrophe to continue. I play an Imperial character and realize this is just too unfair. But as I've said before PvP players are like water and will choose the path of least resistance.

Why remove the valor if they are banned?

So many ways to analogize that to make it seem even more stupid, but I think it is fine as is.

Temporary bans.

I don't think perma-banning people over this is warranted, but a nice 3-5 day break is more than enough.

Here are the things that I've observed about the Ilum changes:

1) Faction imbalance a significant factor.

2) Excessive lag during large confrontations.

3) Healers don't get valor for kills.

4) World announcement for player location is pointless, considering the size of the map and the fact that it doesn't account for every person who passes the same point. This is understandable, considering it would spam everyone's screen. But, it's misleading because you might see one or two people being announced, but an entire ops group just passed through that area.

5) The valor rewards are too high. It gives players an incentive to stay and gank beyond the requirements for daily/weekly quests.

6) The quest rewards are too good. Everyone is trying to get PVP gear because it's viable for hard modes, as well. This exacerbates the faction imbalances.

Please add any other observations that I might have missed. Please be constructive. Flaming and whining doesn't fix anything. If you care about the game, then help the developers instead of insulting them. If you don't care about the game, then go play something else and stop wasting your life trolling these forums.

seriously? you're "investigating" "potential" issues? that should have been where you were at 3 weeks ago when you announced the stupid changes and we all said its not going to work. though granted, none of us foresaw that infinite valor from turrets would be an issue (so good job on screwing up so royally there)

at this point my faith in your pvp designers is lower than the number of republic on ilum.

That's what Bioware gets for not listening to feedback from players, and instead working hard to benefit the Empire faction as much as possible with faster animations, quicker damage, more universally attractive gear, marketing, more same-faction warzones, and of course Ilum.

What's to discuss?

Even Ultima Online, almost 15 years old, had sense enough to protect spawn points with Guards. Yet Bioware, on a pvp-only map, didn't have the foresight to consider that based on 15+ years of prior MMOs.

All the other problems aside, this to me highlights just how poorly thought out Illum is at this point -- you have the wrong people working on pvp.

Id suggest that in future you thoroughly consult the player base when making changes to the pvp system.

you have polls and such at your disposal on the forums, because it is obvious that the current team in charge of ideas are not good at all.

how can you go wrong when you allow your players, (finance) decide what THEY want in the game.

My major concerns are:

A)

A patch to fix this before I get off work with no rollback (ie I don't get to take advantage of this feature) giving the people who are on and farming the turrets large amounts of Valor while people at work get none of this

B)

Why do we need to factions in Illum. You already introduced the fact that the Empire and Republic are fighting on the same side against the "New Empire". So to Maintain balance if you enter the area you are placed on the side with the least people. ie 30 New Imps, 20 Rep/Imps you enter and are placed on the Rep/Imps side.

C)

Turrets should One-shot people if they are in the spawn or you could use a system similar to the safe zone in Alderan (orbital bombardment when they enter the area)

OR

Turrets should not give Valor

OR

Turrets should not re-spawn instantly

Hi folks,

We're currently investigating potential issues related to the Ilum open world PVP area

Well, "potentially" speaking...

has a lot of "potential" monetary impact on Bioware...

"potentially" speaking, word of mouth for "potential" game mechanics leading to this "potentially" unfavorable scenario has the "potential" to make your paycheck "potentially" smaller.

Are you going to close off Ilum and do a valor rollback until you fix this joke?

Right now if you are an Imp, it is a case of rolling with the zerg and reaping the rewards, and if you are on the side of the republic, there is no point going to Ilum to be faced with the zerg and corpse camping, where you actually have to logout. This is the case on the server that I am on, and with the faction split that is across all server (apart from RP servers) I would say that these sentiments are being shared by a large number of players.

The thing is, if this continues, republic do not bother with the open world PvP, then there is no point for imps to go, due to no republicans, so it is the death of open world PvP in this game.

I think this is an important question for a lot of potential subscribers.