Concern with Vice-Commandant pack (and suggestion)

DarkWyndre

So,

I have maxed my rep with the Cartel Resale Corp. This means that if I want stuff from the Enforcer's packs or the upcoming Vice-Comandant packs, I am faced with two bad choices:

1.) Buy the packs/hypercrates and every time I open a pack, I get 1 of the 6 items wasted, unless it happens to be a certificate, but those are super rare.

2.) Buy what I want from the GTN, but inevitably the stuff I want is ridiculously expensive in terms of in game credits.

I make plenty of money. Any CM or dev who reads this, look at my account and see how many hypercrates I've purchased. I would love to continue purchasing them and supporting the game; however, unless some change is made to the fact that every pack has a very high chance to contain a worthless item (the non-tradable rep item), I'm pretty unlikely to keep supporting the game in that way.

Instead of just complaining and leaving it up to you to fix, I have a couple suggestions for how this problem can be fixed and those of us who support the game above and beyond a subscription fee can buy hypercrates without feeling like we're getting LESS than someone who supports the game less than we do. I mean, if you have maxed out your cartel resale corp rep, that took a lot of packs which is a lot of money into the game. So instead of being rewarded for supporting the game more heavily, the actual reward (useful item for rep in every single pack) goes to the people who have spent less.

I propose the following potential changes:

1.) Make the rep items tradeable so we can give them to friends or sell them on the GTN. This has the added benefit of addressing the vocal minority who complain about the rep being a real money requirement since they can just get the rep items on the GTN (presumably considerably cheaper than the packs go for).

2.) Allow us to trade the rep items in for Certificates. Let's say something like 2 or 3 of the purple rep items for a certificate, 4-6 of the blue ones for a certificate, and 8-12 of the green ones for a certificate. In this case only people with maxed rep with the CRC would be able to do the trade-in, and it means that if we buy a hypercrate and get a really bad streak and get all green rep items, we can at least turn that into 2 certificates from the crate. I imagine it would be more like 4-5 certificates per crate with this system, which means someone's dropping down about $100 to get one of the 10 certificate items, and it will be someone who already spent money previously to get packs/crates and get their rep maxxed out in the first place.

It seems to me that both ways are sensible ways to make your most loyal (and lucrative) customers feel like they have incentive to keep buying. I think the 2nd suggestion is the best in terms of rewarding your customers who spend the most since it means the rep items stay bound and until they max their rep they cannot be turned in for certificates, but once the person has spent enough to max their rep, they still have incentive to buy more packs/crates because they will at least have some steady progress towards something they want, even if they get a really bad crate.

I had a friend open up a full enforcer's hypercrate a few days ago and he got one derelict-purple crystal, one model x-70 phantom, and nothing else from the entire hypercrate that would sell for more than 4-5k credits (not counting the companion gifts as those are kind of hard to search on the GTN and thus don't sell all that well in my experience). I believe he also only got a single certificate in those 24 packs. That was a really horrible hypercrate in terms of what he got for the roughly $60 he spent to get the crate.

With my suggestion #2 above, that kind of horrible hypercrate luck would at least allow your most loyal and most lucrative customers to at least get a few certificates out of the bum crate.

In any case, I like a lot of the items in the Vice-Commendant packs, but as of now I'm pretty unlikely to buy coins to get 3-4 hypercrates like I did with the Enforcer's. Hopefully someone on the CM team will show this to someone who has enough authority to get it looked at. I would think your marketing people would want to find ways to get your customers who spend the most to keep spending, and for at least me having that worthless item in every single pack mocking me means I'm far more likely to forgo it with this set of packs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, and people said that CM rep would be nigh impossible to cap. :)

Maybe stop buying packs for a while?

OR

Maybe acknowledge that, like every other rep in MMOs, once you cap it... that's it. done. You can still do rep based content... but you derive no benefit from it in terms of rep. ;)

Edited by Andryah

OR

Maybe acknowledge that, like every other rep in MMOs, once you cap it... that's it. done. You can still do rep based content... but you derive no benefit from it in terms of rep. ;)

Just going to say that he even states he's spent a stupid amount of money. No one said impossible, they just said impossible without spending a stupid amount of money xD

Edit: And even if they don't change it, he will buckle and buy them anyway. I feel it in his future.

Edited by Levity

Just going to say that he even states he's spent a stupid amount of money. No one said impossible, they just said impossible without spending a stupid amount of money xD

Edit: And even if they don't change it, he will buckle and buy them anyway. I feel it in his future.

Fair point.

Free will at it's very best. :D

OR

If I cap a rep from dailies in the game, I still get the credits and commendations for doing the quests if I go do them again.

If I cap the Cartel Resale Corp. reputation (which I have already done), if I buy new packs/crates, I no longer get the full reward for spending my real world money. You're comparing apples to oranges here. Rep from dailies for the factions is a by-product of doing the daily missions. Rep with the CRC is something you pay for as part of every pack/crate, and so it should have a purpose/use after the rep cap is reached. If we were talking about quest rewards, that would be one thing. We're talking about people spending actual money (you have to spend $60 minimum to buy a hypercrate, but will have some coins left over), and Bioware should do everything they can to ensure that if a player is going to plop down $60 and buy a hypercrate, the player will actually get something worthwhile out of it.

If I cap the Cartel Resale Corp. reputation (which I have already done), if I buy new packs/crates, I no longer get the full reward for spending my real world money. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

No I'm not comparing apples to oranges. If you buy cartel packs.. you get the same designed in rewards you always got from said packs... random goodies. The rep was just a nice little adder they put in for people like you.. to give you unique rep (rep that makes some angry too. :) ) on top of the pack contents... which gives you faction rep and access to rep vendors.

You want to double dip your return on the packs by making the rep tokens tradeable. Yet the tokens are to reward players such as yourself with special rep.. NOT make is so you can spam sell them on the GTN and trivialize the faction rep.

But I tell you what.. save them and be patient and you will probably see them become tradeable at a later patch date... as that is the history of how MMOs work. Don't expect it though before they roll out a new CM rep cycle.

Edited by Andryah

If I cap a rep from dailies in the game, I still get the credits and commendations for doing the quests if I go do them again.

If I cap the Cartel Resale Corp. reputation (which I have already done), if I buy new packs/crates, I no longer get the full reward for spending my real world money. You're comparing apples to oranges here. Rep from dailies for the factions is a by-product of doing the daily missions. Rep with the CRC is something you pay for as part of every pack/crate, and so it should have a purpose/use after the rep cap is reached. If we were talking about quest rewards, that would be one thing. We're talking about people spending actual money (you have to spend $60 minimum to buy a hypercrate, but will have some coins left over), and Bioware should do everything they can to ensure that if a player is going to plop down $60 and buy a hypercrate, the player will actually get something worthwhile out of it.

Ok good for you lol. You only got 5 items in the packs before this rep. so the rep. item isn't taking up ANYYYYY possible item you could get since it's the 6th item in the box. They want to prevent rare items from becoming a "meh" item so people actually buy those boxes. Making those certs tradeable on the GTN goes against that. This guarantees BW that people have to buy the boxes to get the certs. If it was all on the GTN it goes like this > credits buy cartel packs > have enough rep. > credits buy certs> have awesome item and spent no money on packs. I think they like milking people for their money so they probably won't change it.

Nah, I won't. I have a pretty strong will about this sort of thing. When STO, for example, started giving players like 10 lockboxes per hour of play, and then wanted them to pay $1.25 to open each one, for mostly garbage rewards, I stopped playing and stopped giving them any money.

Not that I'm saying this situation with the rep item in every pack is quite that bad, but why should I pay them money when 17% of what comes in the packs is going to be worthless to me but useful to someone who has paid them way less money? I can just wait patiently until the items I want from the pack are at a reasonable price on the market.

Or, they can figure out what to do with those rep items once the rep caps, which they probably should have done before they introduced the reputation and rep items in the packs in the first place, and I'll gladly continue to support a game I'm enjoying with more than just my subscription payment :)

As far as spending a "stupid" amount of money, I suppose that's a subjective view. Different people have different hobbies and different jobs and make different incomes. For me the cost of coins for a few hypercrates was not really a huge deal, but at the same time, I like to get a just value for my money. I mean, beyond having the means to live comfortably and retire at a decent age, money is meant to be spent. We can't take it with us when we die after all. I give about 30% of my income to charity, about 40% of it goes towards living expenses and retirement accounts, and the rest is for hobbies and things like taking my wife out for a nice dinner or surprising her with flowers and things like that.

Nah, I won't. I have a pretty strong will about this sort of thing. When STO, for example, started giving players like 10 lockboxes per hour of play, and then wanted them to pay $1.25 to open each one, for mostly garbage rewards, I stopped playing and stopped giving them any money.

Not that I'm saying this situation with the rep item in every pack is quite that bad, but why should I pay them money when 17% of what comes in the packs is going to be worthless to me but useful to someone who has paid them way less money? I can just wait patiently until the items I want from the pack are at a reasonable price on the market.

Or, they can figure out what to do with those rep items once the rep caps, which they probably should have done before they introduced the reputation and rep items in the packs in the first place, and I'll gladly continue to support a game I'm enjoying with more than just my subscription payment :)

As far as spending a "stupid" amount of money, I suppose that's a subjective view. Different people have different hobbies and different jobs and make different incomes. For me the cost of coins for a few hypercrates was not really a huge deal, but at the same time, I like to get a just value for my money. I mean, beyond having the means to live comfortably and retire at a decent age, money is meant to be spent. We can't take it with us when we die after all. I give about 30% of my income to charity, about 40% of it goes towards living expenses and retirement accounts, and the rest is for hobbies and things like taking my wife out for a nice dinner or surprising her with flowers and things like that.

It definitely is subjective, and I'm cheap even though I make a lot of money so when it comes to spending it on SWTOR I might do 40 dollars a month on CC. I usually like spending my money on my car, just got new rims ;D, taking my gf out, beefing up my computer every year so it remains a BEAST, things like that. I think if I were to buy 3-4 hypercrates for SWTOR I would only feel like I got my moneys worth by selling them for ridiculous credits on the GTN and just buying the items out right that I wanted. I'm not a gambling type of man.

Ok good for you lol. You only got 5 items in the packs before this rep. so the rep. item isn't taking up ANYYYYY possible item you could get since it's the 6th item in the box. They want to prevent rare items from becoming a "meh" item so people actually buy those boxes. Making those certs tradeable on the GTN goes against that. This guarantees BW that people have to buy the boxes to get the certs. If it was all on the GTN it goes like this > credits buy cartel packs > have enough rep. > credits buy certs> have awesome item and spent no money on packs. I think they like milking people for their money so they probably won't change it.

I wasn't advocating for the certificates to become unbound, and in fact if you re-read my suggestion #2, I think the best solution is to make it so that, once capped with CRC, the three rep items can be traded in (at some rate that seems reasonable to the devs) for certificates. I mean, there are like 6 items that take 10 certificates + 100,000 credits on that one vendor alone. With the rarity of the certificates, there's going to be a very large amount of the green, blue and purple rep items stacked up in some dusty corner of one of my cargo holds before I get enough certificates to get the various items. I would say it's probably 15-18 crates worth of packs to get 50 certificates. For like 11+ of those crates, the non-certificate rep items are worthless.

But I don't think the certificates should be tradeable if they do something like the first suggestion. There are some things you can get with the rep that don't cost certificates, after all.

I wasn't advocating for the certificates to become unbound, and in fact if you re-read my suggestion #2, I think the best solution is to make it so that, once capped with CRC, the three rep items can be traded in (at some rate that seems reasonable to the devs) for certificates. I mean, there are like 6 items that take 10 certificates + 100,000 credits on that one vendor alone. With the rarity of the certificates, there's going to be a very large amount of the green, blue and purple rep items stacked up in some dusty corner of one of my cargo holds before I get enough certificates to get the various items. I would say it's probably 15-18 crates worth of packs to get 50 certificates. For like 11+ of those crates, the non-certificate rep items are worthless.

But I don't think the certificates should be tradeable if they do something like the first suggestion. There are some things you can get with the rep that don't cost certificates, after all.

I agree with the trading in the rep. tokens. But I wouldn't want to see the certs. on the GTN since it would definitely devalue the items. Who knows, I don't open those packs, like I said, I just sell them for credits so whatever they do it won't be affecting me.

It definitely is subjective, and I'm cheap even though I make a lot of money so when it comes to spending it on SWTOR I might do 40 dollars a month on CC. I usually like spending my money on my car, just got new rims ;D, taking my gf out, beefing up my computer every year so it remains a BEAST, things like that. I think if I were to buy 3-4 hypercrates for SWTOR I would only feel like I got my moneys worth by selling them for ridiculous credits on the GTN and just buying the items out right that I wanted. I'm not a gambling type of man.

Oh, I think the whole bound for 36 hours thing is intentional because for many people that urge to gamble is very strong. I actually wanted quite a lot of the stuff in the Enforcer's packs either for myself or my wife, and the xp boosts and companion gifts are all useful at least until you have all the classes maxxed with all their companion affection capped, heh.

My wife quite enjoys the various pets and emotes and such, even if they don't have a lot of value... so for me I can get the stuff I'm looking for and she gets a stream of gifts over time that are the neat little things she enjoys.

As far as I've seen on my server (Shadowlands), the price of hypercrates has come down to around 5-6mil, so that would be enough to get like ... Revan's mask ... or maybe one of the super rare mounts.

Oh, I think the whole bound for 36 hours thing is intentional because for many people that urge to gamble is very strong. I actually wanted quite a lot of the stuff in the Enforcer's packs either for myself or my wife, and the xp boosts and companion gifts are all useful at least until you have all the classes maxxed with all their companion affection capped, heh.

My wife quite enjoys the various pets and emotes and such, even if they don't have a lot of value... so for me I can get the stuff I'm looking for and she gets a stream of gifts over time that are the neat little things she enjoys.

As far as I've seen on my server (Shadowlands), the price of hypercrates has come down to around 5-6mil, so that would be enough to get like ... Revan's mask ... or maybe one of the super rare mounts.

o.o That's how much they go for on Harbinger, but Revans mask goes for 3mil so you could buy 4-5 masks with 3-4 hypercrates xD The mounts are even cheaper. I guess the harbinger has a lot of gamblers that over saturate the GTN XD

o.o That's how much they go for on Harbinger, but Revans mask goes for 3mil so you could buy 4-5 masks with 3-4 hypercrates xD The mounts are even cheaper. I guess the harbinger has a lot of gamblers that over saturate the GTN XD

Generally Revan's mask runs about 5mil, the sash has been as high as 4-4.5mil. I got mine from randomly buying a cheaply priced space pack on the GTN one day, so that was cool.

An interesting thing to note... I believe I opened something like 100 total enforcer's packs, and I never saw a single white-black crystal. I think that may be the only thing that didn't drop. I saw all the armor pieces, the toothpick, the blue efficiency scanner, the mounts, the pets, the moods/emotes, etc... everything except white-black.

Generally Revan's mask runs about 5mil, the sash has been as high as 4-4.5mil. I got mine from randomly buying a cheaply priced space pack on the GTN one day, so that was cool.

An interesting thing to note... I believe I opened something like 100 total enforcer's packs, and I never saw a single white-black crystal. I think that may be the only thing that didn't drop. I saw all the armor pieces, the toothpick, the blue efficiency scanner, the mounts, the pets, the moods/emotes, etc... everything except white-black.

No loss there, it was a fugly crystal. The one in this new pack is better!

Wrong. If you cap a rep from doing dailies, when you do those dailies again, you still get the credits and comms, true, but the rep item is worthless. You do not gain FULL reward for doing dailies past capping the rep. The same goes for buying packs from the CM. If you cap the rep, you still get the other items in the pack, the equivalent of getting credits and comms from doing dailies.

Wrong. If you cap a rep from doing dailies, when you do those dailies again, you still get the credits and comms, true, but the rep item is worthless. You do not gain FULL reward for doing dailies past capping the rep. The same goes for buying packs from the CM. If you cap the rep, you still get the other items in the pack, the equivalent of getting credits and comms from doing dailies.

But I don't have to pay real money to do dailies.

So,

I have maxed my rep with the Cartel Resale Corp. This means that if I want stuff from the Enforcer's packs or the upcoming Vice-Comandant packs, I am faced with two bad choices:

1.) Buy the packs/hypercrates and every time I open a pack, I get 1 of the 6 items wasted, unless it happens to be a certificate, but those are super rare.

2.) Buy what I want from the GTN, but inevitably the stuff I want is ridiculously expensive in terms of in game credits.

I make plenty of money. Any CM or dev who reads this, look at my account and see how many hypercrates I've purchased. I would love to continue purchasing them and supporting the game; however, unless some change is made to the fact that every pack has a very high chance to contain a worthless item (the non-tradable rep item), I'm pretty unlikely to keep supporting the game in that way.

Instead of just complaining and leaving it up to you to fix, I have a couple suggestions for how this problem can be fixed and those of us who support the game above and beyond a subscription fee can buy hypercrates without feeling like we're getting LESS than someone who supports the game less than we do. I mean, if you have maxed out your cartel resale corp rep, that took a lot of packs which is a lot of money into the game. So instead of being rewarded for supporting the game more heavily, the actual reward (useful item for rep in every single pack) goes to the people who have spent less.

I propose the following potential changes:

1.) Make the rep items tradeable so we can give them to friends or sell them on the GTN. This has the added benefit of addressing the vocal minority who complain about the rep being a real money requirement since they can just get the rep items on the GTN (presumably considerably cheaper than the packs go for).

2.) Allow us to trade the rep items in for Certificates. Let's say something like 2 or 3 of the purple rep items for a certificate, 4-6 of the blue ones for a certificate, and 8-12 of the green ones for a certificate. In this case only people with maxed rep with the CRC would be able to do the trade-in, and it means that if we buy a hypercrate and get a really bad streak and get all green rep items, we can at least turn that into 2 certificates from the crate. I imagine it would be more like 4-5 certificates per crate with this system, which means someone's dropping down about $100 to get one of the 10 certificate items, and it will be someone who already spent money previously to get packs/crates and get their rep maxxed out in the first place.

It seems to me that both ways are sensible ways to make your most loyal (and lucrative) customers feel like they have incentive to keep buying. I think the 2nd suggestion is the best in terms of rewarding your customers who spend the most since it means the rep items stay bound and until they max their rep they cannot be turned in for certificates, but once the person has spent enough to max their rep, they still have incentive to buy more packs/crates because they will at least have some steady progress towards something they want, even if they get a really bad crate.

I had a friend open up a full enforcer's hypercrate a few days ago and he got one derelict-purple crystal, one model x-70 phantom, and nothing else from the entire hypercrate that would sell for more than 4-5k credits (not counting the companion gifts as those are kind of hard to search on the GTN and thus don't sell all that well in my experience). I believe he also only got a single certificate in those 24 packs. That was a really horrible hypercrate in terms of what he got for the roughly $60 he spent to get the crate.

With my suggestion #2 above, that kind of horrible hypercrate luck would at least allow your most loyal and most lucrative customers to at least get a few certificates out of the bum crate.

In any case, I like a lot of the items in the Vice-Commendant packs, but as of now I'm pretty unlikely to buy coins to get 3-4 hypercrates like I did with the Enforcer's. Hopefully someone on the CM team will show this to someone who has enough authority to get it looked at. I would think your marketing people would want to find ways to get your customers who spend the most to keep spending, and for at least me having that worthless item in every single pack mocking me means I'm far more likely to forgo it with this set of packs.

So you want to either:

A) Be able to cap rep and then gouge players on the GTN for the rep items so you can make even more credits from the packs.

B) Be guaranteed to get the certificates you want at a minimal cost.

Do you go to the casino and tell the management that you bet $100 and only won $5, so you want them to let you turn in three losing bets for one winning bet, or play the lottery and expect to be able to turn in three losing tickets for one winner? The packs are a gamble and not all gambles pay off.

So you want to either:

A) Be able to cap rep and then gouge players on the GTN for the rep items so you can make even more credits from the packs.

B) Be guaranteed to get the certificates you want at a minimal cost.

Do you go to the casino and tell the management that you bet $100 and only won $5, so you want them to let you turn in three losing bets for one winning bet, or play the lottery and expect to be able to turn in three losing tickets for one winner? The packs are a gamble and not all gambles pay off.

No <((()))>< here mate.

I have also maxed the rep so these rep tokens will be useless to me, currently they are just sitting in my cargo hold taking up space. I would love if you BioWare could make it so we can spend them on something. Edited by Orlesian

OP, either you are not reading the responses fully, or ignoring them on purpose because it invalidates your whole post. These items were not in the packs before, they are an addition. You are NOT missing out on an item now that you can't use the rep item, you still get the same amount of items that you got before they introduced the rep system.

OP, either you are not reading the responses fully, or ignoring them on purpose because it invalidates your whole post. These items were not in the packs before, they are an addition. You are NOT missing out on an item now that you can't use the rep item, you still get the same amount of items that you got before they introduced the rep system.

That's irrelevant. The enforcer's and vice-comandant packs come with an extra item. Comparing apples to oranges.

That's irrelevant. The enforcer's and vice-comandant packs come with an extra item. Comparing apples to oranges.

And those extra items are in addition to the rep item. I'm comparing apples to apples, you just don't like the answer.

We can't use rep items from other in-game factions once we max out, why should cartel be any different?