Bioware: Where is all that Orange Armor?

Thaed

I want to know about this too and I'm really surprised at the deafening silence from the devs. Looking through those quotes, I'm a little confused as to what was actually supposed to be implemented. My perception was that in 1.2 you would be able to RE any item (green, blue, whatever) and if you got lucky you would get a custom orange schematic for an identical looking item. It was one of the things I was looking forward to most. It would create a whole new selection of looks and give some variety to what individual crafters could offer to the community.

Looking at those statements again, maybe we were only supposed to be able to get schematics from items that were already customizable. (i.e. the unique modifiable purple and orange item drops.) But even that doesn't seem to be the case. I've gotten some of those drops and when I cursor over them with the RE wand it doesn't say that schematics are available. I remember there being a statement at some point saying they didn't allow it for the orange items you get as quest rewards because they didn't want people to take a chance on trashing an item they only had a chance to get once through a quest and having it be forever thereafter unavailable. But that implies you should be able to at least RE the random customizable orange and purple drops you find but I'm not seeing any of this in the game either.

And I can't remember where this was stated (and maybe I'm remembering wrong), but I thought we were going to be able to RE mods/armoring/enhancements available only from vendors and get schematics for those too. I'm not seeing any "schematics available" for those items either.

So I'm really wondering what happened to all of this? Is this still planned and it just didn't make it into the patch? Was there a miscommunication as to what we should have expected? Was there misinformation that was passed down the line and this was never intended? Or was this idea just scrapped for one reason or another? I'd really like to know.

Issues:

- Augment slots: crit crafting is temporary, they are creating a new way for us to attach augments to anything

- New armor recipes need to be created for every model and colour scheme (at least for the chest)

- Set bonuses not transferring on the older armor

- Insane cost of changing an outfit (over 600k to completely remod an outfit)

- Dealing with over 30 item modification switches to change your outfit

- Extremely slow development done in multiple "stages"

All this to semi-compensate for the fact that Bioware does not want to create an appearance tab system. It is their choice, but they are going to lose when new MMOs come out.

Character customization is one of the reason I have stopped playing my 4 level 50s. I'm sick of looking at their crappy gear knowing I can't transfer the mods without losing the set bonuses.

I'm tired of knowing that when my alts do hit 50, I have to go through maybe 3 tiers of PvP and 2 tiers of PvE gear just to customize my look and retain the set bonuses. If I can not enjoy the look of my character (BIG RED COMBAT TEXT SPAMMING THE MIDDLE OF MY SCREEN IS ALSO RUINING THIS FOR ME) then I'll just pack up and move out the first chance I get.

You do not have long Bioware, maybe a couple months at best.

What he said. The costs just for visual changes is absolutely unacceptable. The range of available orange schematics is far too limited. Everyitem in game should be able to get reverse engineered into an orange schematic. And set bonuses should transfer far more easily.

They are completely ignoring that thread (as far as giving a response, there can be no doubt they have read it and know it exists) because they failed to deliver on what they promised regarding the ability to RE almost any modifiable outfit and the new schems being available through missions and don't want to admit it.

It's this.

New Artifice orange weapons. New Armstech orange weapons.

WH gear. BM gear. Campaign gear. (Dont know about Rakata tbh).

That's it. Nothing else was added.

No social gear, no random world drop gear, no flashpoint gear, no legacy gear, no old pvp gear, no lower tier pve gear.

Not even talking about outfits which are not modable but have a unique look.

Bump.

This is the million dollar question that everyone wants an answer too but Bioware remains silient.Where are these new recipes and REable gear you speak of?Its been asked many times BW its time you standup and answer the question.Many threads on this have fallen on deaf ears just answer this once and for all people have quoted all the posts where we were told it was coming.

Since Beta, we've been told that appearance customisation would be achieved through the modification system and orange armor. We were told that every armor in the game would be available as an orange variation. When the game hit, this wasn't the case.

We were told that in 1.2 that this would be rectified. That most orange armor would be REable for a schematic, that most armor in general would be REable to an orange schematic (I'll admit that I can't find a quote on this second point) and that there would be new orange schematics available from UWT. This is not the case.

Why haven't we heard anything on this issue? I know that myself and several others asked questions regarding this in the Q&A. Is it stuck in whatever patch contains ranked warzones? The feature was advertised in the same trailer as ranked warzones. I'm not going to claim that this is as big of a deal as ranked warzones not making it (clearly, as there aren't hundreds of threads on the issue), but this was a pretty big deal to both crafters and those who had a specific look in mind for their characters.

So, I ask you Bioware: Where are all those orange armors that you've been promising since beta?

Edit: To clarify, when I say no new schematics, I mean no new Armormech/Synth schematics. There are multiple orange armstech schematics in the game.

Some sources:

This blog post, specifically:

Edit: Also,

I'll add here that I think randomly aquiring recipes from UWT is silly and frustrating, at best.

This blog post about crafting in 1.2, specifically:

and

This thread contains numerous crafters with ranging levels of dissatisfaction on the issue.

Edit: Apparently this thread was moved.

Edit for 5/5/12: This from the most recent Q&A:

I'll let someone else do a proper dissection, because that confused me a little. Is he saying that new orange armour schems have been slowly added since launch? Since 1.2? That no new orange armour schematics in 1.2? That there are more schematics in 1.2, but we simply haven't found them yet?

Either way, I think we can discern one thing from this: don't ever trust Bioware to release acuurate information, even about major patches.

He basically side stepped the whole question by saying well maybe they were talking about what we were doing in 1.3 when in fact the quotes quoted were all about 1.2.What I get about it is well we didn't add anything for synthweaving and amormech in 1.2 but we did add some things to armortech and artificer but we will be adding somethings in 1.3 for synthweaving and armormech mainly wrists and belts in 1.3.But it seems they are forgeting about two other important pieces being the boots and gloves lets hope they don't forget about those.

He basically side stepped the whole question by saying well maybe they were talking about what we were doing in 1.3 when in fact the quotes quoted were all about 1.2.What I get about it is well we didn't add anything for synthweaving and amormech in 1.2 but we did add some things to armortech and artificer but we will be adding somethings in 1.3 for synthweaving and armormech mainly wrists and belts in 1.3.But it seems they are forgeting about two other important pieces being the boots and gloves lets hope they don't forget about those.

While I welcome the apparent addition of orange craftable wrists and belts in 1.3, it is not what were led to believe would be happening, and quite frankly I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree that their is not enough schematics for the orange gear available in the game, and more should be made available to customize your apperance.

At present my main character has the legacy belt and bracers.....both guns and his chest piece as custom augment armour. But will i be forced to grind my valor rank once i start getting campaign gear?.... At the moment the answer is yes due to the lack of options available.

Bioware should implement the following.

1/ Make schematics drop from low level flashpoints to enable learning of orange gear sets avalible in these. This would aid leveling players, with the credits.... they can make selling these to high level crafters.

2/ A choice to buy the schematic instead of a armour piece when completing heroic quests.

3/ Schematics for high level columi/rakata sets available to purchase with tionese cystals. This would encouraged geared players to still run the flashpoints.

Also most of the armour sets are just chest/legs/helm ...... it would be better to finish these sets with glove and boot schematics, thus not forcing limited options i.e pvp sets.

I agree that their is not enough schematics for the orange gear available in the game, and more should be made available to customize your apperance.

At present my main character has the legacy belt and bracers.....both guns and his chest piece as custom augment armour. But will i be forced to grind my valor rank once i start getting campaign gear?.... At the moment the answer is yes due to the lack of options available.

1/ Make schematics drop from low level flashpoints to enable learning of orange gear sets avalible in these. This would aid leveling players, with the credits.... they can make selling these to high level crafters.

2/ A choice to buy the schematic instead of a armour piece when completing heroic quests.

3/ Schematics for high level columi/rakata sets available to purchase with tionese cystals. This would encouraged geared players to still run the flashpoints.

Also most of the armour sets are just chest/legs/helm ...... it would be better to finish these sets with glove and boot schematics, thus not forcing limited options i.e pvp sets.

I really like all of your ideas. Great thinking on this. I hope this gets noticed. If not, keep pushing it.

While I welcome the apparent addition of orange craftable wrists and belts in 1.3, it is not what were led to believe would be happening, and quite frankly I'll believe it when I see it.

It is very far from what we were told would be happening they said these things would be in 1.2 there was no mention of them being in 1.3 since when would a dev with a big patch coming talk about things being added in the patch after it.It makes no sense and I think that they are trying to cover for the mistake.I don't know what the ETA is on 1.3 but I don't think we well be seeing these new recipes in it.With all the misleading going on with BW I don't see myself staying in this game much longer.

I was severely disappointed when I found that in patch 1.2 they didnt allow for all the orange armor you get from planetary comms to be RE'd to learn a schematic so that you could then craft the armor and get a crit for an aug slot. I prefer most of the look from the custom armor you get while lvling to the end game ops armor. I would much rather take the mods from the end game armor and put them in orange custom armor that as an added aug slot.

it is great to see so many people expressing these issues. This is some important and simple to implement yet Bioware is going the long way around. Why?

Disingenous - A very good word for what we see going on.

We just wanted a simple appearance tab.

If a Developer has read this thread, Please, Please just bup so we know you are hearing us.

This^^^^

My hat is off to you on this post. Well thought out and a more than reasonable thing to ask of them. Having something to actually spend tionese comms/crystals on is something that needs to be implemented and schems for the empty shells would be perfect. I have nearly 400 of each on my main and at present they are completely useless as my companions already have better than tionese so they just keep building up. I'm quite certain I am not the only one who has an abundance of these with nothing to spend them on, and they just keep rolling in.

My questions is, "Why did PVP get orange boots and gloves that could be crafted, if they can do it for pvp why not add a couple for PVE?" Not everyone PVPs and to cut folks out from having augment slots in orange armor on the those body slots because they don't PVP is frankly rediculous. They are clearly pandering to the PVP crowd even when they release new end game gear that still looks horrid!

Thank you were are our boots and gloves, I have a tank that i raid with and a sorc healer as well now my healer is for mainly pvp alt runs etc my tanks my main so now my tank cant get full augmented gear because i don't pvp on him. It is just awesome I love being gimped with no word on when its going to change.

Thank you were are our boots and gloves, I have a tank that i raid with and a sorc healer as well now my healer is for mainly pvp alt runs etc my tanks my main so now my tank cant get full augmented gear because i don't pvp on him. It is just awesome I love being gimped with no word on when its going to change.

I was under the impression that raid difficulty was tuned for gearing without augments - so not having augments in a couple of slots wouldn't make one gimped, but would simply limit how far above the curve you can go. And with augments in every other available slot, that's pretty far. I don't see this as the huge problem everyone seems to make it out to be.