A Record of the Dread Masters

CourtneyWoods

Statement: Best lore since the Timeline videos.

Request: Requesting elaboration and more information now.

Request: I do need some clarification on one part however.

Query: Where it says "Forces from the Dread Host were deployed to Belsavis, where they attempted to retrieve ancient Rakata weapons that had been hidden there.", is that referring to Eternity Vault, or Section X?

Theory: I assume it's referring to Section X as there are Dread Forces there that both sides have to deal with and that Eternity Vault was something unrelated to the Dread Masters.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Message intercepted by my agent in the Jedi Order, codename "Hummer."

*Emphasis is my own

A Record of the Dread Masters

TRANSMISSION LOG 237890223409098184

ORIGIN: Master Gnost-Dural, Keeper of the Jedi Archives, Tython

RECIPIENT: Master Ogan-Dei, Chief Advisor, Strike Team Oricon

My old friend,

I have gathered the information you requested from the archives, though our records regarding the Dread Masters are far from complete. In particular, our knowledge of their origins is disappointingly vague, based mostly on hearsay and fragments recovered from Imperial historical logs.

Firstly, our records confirm that the Dread Masters are human, despite many rumors to the contrary. Biological scans conducted after their capture by Master Kaedan confirmed this, though their lifespans have extended well beyond the norm for that species. We do not know the extent of their longevity, nor the world (or worlds) they came from. We don’t even know their true names.

The Dread Masters’ goals are similarly mysterious. We know that they are no longer affiliated with the Sith Empire, despite the fact that Imperial forces are responsible for rescuing them from our prison facilities on Belsavis. That they would betray the Empire they’ve served for so many years is unexpected, but not necessarily unexplainable. (I can elaborate on my theories in a future report, if requested.)

Since betraying the Empire, the Dread Masters have quickly amassed a military force of their own, which they refer to as their “Dread Host”. Our research suggests that very few members of this force are willing volunteers; most are former Republic and Imperial personnel whose minds have been irreparably dominated by the power of the Dread Masters. Efforts to question or treat captured members of the Dread Host have been entirely unsuccessful. The constant psychological manipulations of the Dread Masters have rendered their followers both completely loyal and incurably, paranoically insane.

As they gathered their armies, the Dread Masters also began to make subtle inroads within the Hutt Cartel. My information suggests that it was their influence which drove the Cartel’s former Supreme Mogul, Karagga the Unyielding, to initiate the aggressive expansion activities that ultimately resulted in his own death. The ramifications were far-reaching, perhaps even leading to the recent conflict on Makeb.

The Dread Masters further expanded their influence by briefly seizing control of the planet Denova, a major supplier of explosive munitions. Working through mercenary intermediaries, the Dread Masters seized an unknown amount of high-powered explosives, along with weapons, ground and air vehicles, and other military supplies originally stationed on the planet by the Republic.

Next, the Dread Masters set out for more exotic technologies. Forces from the Dread Host were deployed to Belsavis, where they attempted to retrieve ancient Rakata weapons that had been hidden there. Another, much smaller team managed to infiltrate the Gree Enclave and gather information and materials from some of their most complex designs. Although this team was defeated on the planet Asation, I believe we must still assume that they successfully transmitted the information they gathered, including the secrets of Gree “hypergate” technology, back to their masters.

Most recently, the Dread Masters attempted to bolster their forces by once again manipulating the shattered Hutt Cartel. A vast assembly of mercenary and pirate arms, vehicles, and personnel was gathered on Darvannis, ostensibly to vie for Cartel contracts. Instead, the Dread Master known as Styrak attempted to overwhelm and convert the mercenaries into service among the Dread Host. Fortunately, Styrak’s plans were foiled before he could fully complete them, and Styrak himself was killed—the first palpable blow struck against the Dread Masters since their escape.

Since that time, the remaining five Dread Masters—Brontes, Tyrans, Calphayus, Bestia, and Raptus—have remained in hiding. Despite the loss of Styrak and other setbacks, we know for a fact that the Dread Masters still have a vast army of fanatical soldiers at their command, as well as a collection of powerful and ancient technologies that lie well outside of our scientific understanding. Furthermore, the Dread Masters’ ability to induce widespread terror, paranoia, and hallucinations may not have been affected by Styrak’s death, and I have found nothing in my studies that would suggest any foolproof defense against their power, either for you or your forces.

The task ahead of you will no doubt present one of the greatest challenges anyone in our order has faced. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information to aid you.

May the Force be with you.

END MESSAGE

In response to Gnost-Dural's ignorant scratchings (presumably he just bashed his antiox breath mask against a holopad), I the Heir of Tulak Hord, Lord Kallig, Lord of Hate, Darth Nox, Head of the Pyramid of Ancient Knowledge and Master of the Gathering Darkness, shall elaborate on the history of the Dread Masters from a millennium ago, to the present.

1. Sith. Prophets. Forgers of nightmares. The Dread Masters are this and more.

One thousand year ago, the Dread Masters were the only Sith to not only study the Phobis devices without dying or going insane, but the only ones who actually mastered the power of the Phobis devices.

1a. Styraak was a proficient Alchemist prior to his transformation, and as Lord Fulminiss's records indicate, he has become FAR more learned since his ascension. From Fulminiss's records on his former master " Even before Styrak became one of the Dread Masters, his superior intellect and sadistic experiments on subjects both living and dead were infamous. Hundreds, perhaps even thousands of slaves and beasts have been claimed by Styrak's heartless pursuit of mastery over the Force."

1b. Brontes has demonstrated impressive research with Cybernetics, her work a thousand years ago is still beyond what the Gormak have accomplished. Talos Drellik has recovered writings

1c. Calphayus appeared to be mentally commanding both the Dread Guard and the resurrected Kephess on Asation. It's possibly that he intended to use Lotek'k to lay claim to not just Asation, but all of the Gree Enclave.

2. Sith Lords who cripple entire armies with fear. Once the Empire's greatest weapon. The operative word being SITH Lords. Sith do NOT serve. We conquer, we rule. We are the lords of the Dark Side of the Force. It was inevitable that once the Emperor was weakened that the Dread Masters would make their move. Indeed, given that they have influenced Karagga and the Hutt Cartel in such a skillful manner, it must be taken into consideration that they may have aided the Jedi in their assault on the Emperor.

3. I had not adequately considered that the Dread Masters might have gained Hypergate technology on Asation. Clearly they ALREADY had working knowledge of Gree tech since they were able to usurp both the Green Ellipse and Grand Hypergate with such speed. However, it's possible that they might be planning on building a Hypergate on Oricon, thus allowing them a nearly impenetrable beachhead from which to attack the rest of the galaxy with ease.

4. Gnost-Dural proves his deficiencies by forgetting the Dread Master's invasions (two of them) of the Arcanum and their seizure of the Seeds of Rage and Darkstaff.

Note: If the Barsen'thor and Lore Keepers are this ignorant then the loss of Imperial Intelligence and our reliance on it's shambling corpse (Sith Intelligence) will prove not be so devastating after all :sy_empire

Lastly, Quaint tricks will not deter a member of the Dark Council!

I know that you 5 are reading this message: and I have no use for pawns that threaten MY empire. The other Dark Council members bicker on Korriban. I alone possess the power to vanquish you.

I am on Oricon. I am coming for you, and I shall reap your lives and harvest your power for myself.

SOON. I. WILL. BIND. YOUR. SOULS. TO. ME. FOREVER.

:sy_darkside: :sy_darkside: :sy_darkside: :sy_darkside: :sy_darkside:

Edited by AshlaBoga

Pleasplease, more Holonet Archive updates!

Gnost-Dural's voice-actor, his way of saying "I will elaborate [...] in my next report." was so wonderfully evocative, always made me --I'm not the only one, I'm sure-- want more. (And the closing down of the HA commensurately disappointing).

I never thought I'd hate someone supporting a lightside choice (that isn't being killed in the darkside, I mean) that I could actively dislike for it, and yet that Chancellor proved me wrong. From when I first set foot on Taris republic side, I disliked her patriotic arrogance, and her behaviour at the end of her quest does not lessen that by any degree.

But we can do it. Together!

I saw the Tweet about this and thought "Holy crap! They are bringing back the voiced journals of Gnost Dural!"

And then I saw that it was text. I was a bit disappointed. Still a cool write-up of the Dread Master storyline, however.

Voiced journals can't be sold on the cartel market. Oh wait...

Great article.

The Dread Masters (along with Soa) have been my favorite villains in the game since I first heard them say ""None can contain us. Not this prison, not the Republic and certainly not these creatures", back on Belsavis with my first character. I'm actually kinda sad their storyline is ending. But at least they're going out with a bang and after a long storyline.

Unlike poor Soa :(

I'd also like to mention that BodyThetanMan did a great summary of what we know so far about the Dread Masters on the Story and Lore subforum back in July. I don't know the guy but I think he did a great job and I loved reading up on the details that I had missed.

Edited by TheNahash

Pleasplease, more Holonet Archive updates!

Gnost-Dural's voice-actor, his way of saying "I will elaborate [...] in my next report." was so wonderfully evocative, always made me --I'm not the only one, I'm sure-- want more. (And the closing down of the HA commensurately disappointing).

I don't think this will happen. Lance Henrikksen ain't free.

I'm really Diggin' this post!

This is what most of us are playing this game for; intriguing story's. That is what Star Wars is a story that told us SO much yet left just enough to our imagination that we have been wanting more for decades!

I really, really dig this post man!

I like the article but i think it is bad to kill the only real enemy left ... ok not enemy i mean strong enemy with "face" ... swtor have the problem that there isnt a strong antagonist who makes the story personal and when we have something like this they are killed we need a big bad guy like Malgus but not so agressiv in the thinks he does and not so extrem present like the dread guys ... more a dark prensens behind everything and from time to time a look at him like securitycams seen someone in different locations where something went wrong ...

I like the article but i think it is bad to kill the only real enemy left ... ok not enemy i mean strong enemy with "face" ... swtor have the problem that there isnt a strong antagonist who makes the story personal and when we have something like this they are killed we need a big bad guy like Malgus but not so agressiv in the thinks he does and not so extrem present like the dread guys ... more a dark prensens behind everything and from time to time a look at him like securitycams seen someone in different locations where something went wrong ...

Ja, all that's left is the Emperor (he's crippled not dead), Satele, and Revan.

Why in the hell wasn't this put into a video with Lance Henriksen's voice reading the text? How much would this have cost? I'll send you a check, right now, if you get him on the horn and have him record it.

If you can't tell, I love me some Lance Henricksen.

I can actually hear Lance Henriksen reading this in my head. Is he unavailable or out of your budget? I'd love to hear him read some more of the histories.

How about even re-releasing the 12 episodes that have been done. There is a low res cut on

, but I'd like to see a high res back to back like the one I've shown by Yarelpoof. I wonder if it's the same as the one on the forums here? Hey, if that is you that did that. Well done. Edited by Thylbanus

I can't see the video or any content inside the holonet tab of this site. I'm logged in too..

"Page Not Found

This page is not available. This may be because you do not have permission to access it or the page may not exist. If you feel you should not be receiving this error, please contact us."

I can't see the video or any content inside the holonet tab of this site. I'm logged in too..

"Page Not Found

This page is not available. This may be because you do not have permission to access it or the page may not exist. If you feel you should not be receiving this error, please contact us."

That happens to me every once in a while. That should clear up in a day or two. At least it does for me. The point is that, that message is not your fault or anything that you have done wrong. You should have access in a little while. Just keep checking back. Cheers!