An in-depth look at: Count Dooku- Jedi Master

Aurbere

"Best of all, Dooku would be! Our greatest student, our greatest failure."- Jedi Master Yoda

Dooku was many things: Jedi, Sith, politician. Many will remember him as an evil Sith Lord that waged war on the Republic, but Jedi and Sith will remember him as a great swordsmen and powerful in the Force. But Count Dooku is an under-rated character by many, for unknown reasons. So I thought I would shine the light on Count Dooku. This is going to be a long one (longer than Qui-Gon), but I encourage reading it. This will be Part one as the whole will be very long.

Our story begins with the powerful young Dooku being taken under the wing of Jedi Master Thame Cerulian, when Dooku was thirteen years old. Fellow initiate and friend to Dooku, Lorian Nod, became jealous of Dooku and stole a Dark Holocron from the Jedi Archives. When Dooku confronted Lorian, they were found by Jedi Master Oppo Rancisis. Lorian Nod quickly pushed the blame on Dooku and they were both studied by the Jedi Council. Dooku told the Council the truth and Nod was exiled from the Jedi Order. These events would make Dooku wary of friendships and make him paranoid of betrayal. A lesson he would need later in life.

During Dooku's training under Master Cerulian, Yoda took an interest in the young Jedi and began training him as well. Dooku could have no better master than Yoda, who trained him in the ways of the Lightsaber. But Yoda was also quick to point out Dooku's flaws in order to make him a better Jedi. Dooku learned much from Masters Yoda and Cerulian, and he soon became one of the greatest Jedi in the Order. He was also very outspoken about the corruption in the Galactic Republic and hoped he could do something to change it.

Dooku became a Jedi Knight in his early twenties and took Qui-Gon Jinn as his first padawan. Qui-Gon had impressed Dooku with his abilities at the age of ten. The two were very similar in personality and personal beliefs. Dooku convinced Yoda that they were a perfect match.

Their first mission together was to protect Senator Blix Annon from pirates. The pirates attacked them onboard the Senator's ship by taking advantage of weaknesses in the ships security. The pirates were led by Lorian Nod, who was able to capture the Senator despite the two Jedi. Dooku suspected the weaknesses in the ships security was due to sabotage and traced it to a factory owned by Lorian Nod, which used child laborers on its assembly lines.

Upon infiltrating the factory, they found another of Dooku's childhood friends: Eero Iridian. Eero told Dooku that he found a worker willing to talk to them. Unfortunately, the two Jedi were led into a trap. Several Colicoid Eradication Droids were wating for them. Eero had betrayed them and was working for Lorian. The two Jedi were forced to surrender to avoid any children casualties. They were drugged and imprisoned in Lorian Nod's headquarters. Nod planned to hold them until the Senator was ransomed back to the Republic, but he died from a heart attack before the ransom could be made. Eero began arguing with Nod about Dooku and Qui-Gon, but Dooku broke from his restraints and confronted Nod. The two dueled, with Dooku intent on killing him. Nod was quickly over-powered, but Qui-Gon convinced Dooku to spare him. Reluctantly, Dooku captured the two pirates and they returned to Coruscant.

A mission to Dooku's homeworld of Serenno would lead to an encounter with a Muun called Hego Damask, who was really the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis. This lead to Dooku being put in the sights of the Sith.

After further service to the Jedi Order, Qui-Gon Jinn completed the Jedi trials and became a Jedi Knight, which promoted Dooku to master. Qui-Gon would heed all of his former masters teachings later in life.

As a Jedi Master, Dooku was a highly respected lightsaber instructor, having several Great Holocron recordings depicting his prowess with the blade. Viewing his recordings became mandatory for future Jedi Padawans. Dooku was also given a seat on the Council, which he turned down, preferring to be proactive in the field. Later, however, he was offered the seat again and accepted. Dooku befriended many younger Jedi, such as Mace Windu and Sifo Diyas.

After the Servacos Dispute, Dooku took Komari Vosa as his padawan learner. Dooku's trust in the Jedi Order would be shaken after a disastrous mission on Galidraan. Here Dooku, Vosa, and eighteen other Jedi went into battle with a group of Mandalorians led by Jango Fett. Dooku was the only Jedi in this task force to have knowledge of the Mandalorians and asked the Jedi Council for more aid. The Council was unable to send more Jedi due to the urgency of the situation. Dooku was forced to confront the Mandalorians at their camp. Dooku called for Jango Fett's surrender, which was meant with Mandalorian retaliation. The Jedi leapt into action, cutting down several Mandalorians. This battle was disastrous for both sides. Eleven Jedi were dead and Jango Fett was the last Mandalorian standing. Dooku took Jango into custody and handed him over to the governor of Galidraan.

Dooku later learned that the governor had used the Jedi and that he was wroking for the Mandalorian's enemy the Death Watch. Dooku took an interest in the fate of Jango Fett, whom he respected as a warrior.

During the Battle of Galidraan, Dooku's apprentice, Komari Vosa, personally killed twenty Mandalorians. Dooku praised her lightsaber skills, but did not think she was ready to be a Jedi Knight. Vosa had made inappropriate advances on him, which lead to her release from the Jedi Order.

Infuriated, Vosa attatched herself to a Jedi mission to Baltizaar. There, they attacked the Bando Gora cult and suffered heavy casualties. They Jedi were missing and presumed dead. Dooku was convinced the Jedi were wasting unnecessary Jedi lives on pointless tasks, which lead to him distancing himself from the Jedi Order.

Dooku refused to do missions for the Jedi Council for over twelve years, during this time Dooku participated more in political disputes. He was attempting to rid the Senate of corruption. During this time, Dooku became under the influence of Senator Palpatine of Naboo. Senator Palpatine began manipulating Dooku, making him into an ally. Dooku began to believe that he could call upon the Dark Side of the Force without personal corruption. Darth Sidious, under the guise of Palpatine, intended to prove him wrong.

Shortly after the Battle of Naboo and the death of Qui-Gon Jinn, Dooku retired from the Jedi Order, returned to his homeworld of Serenno and claimed his family title of Count.

During Nute Gunray's final tribunal on Naboo, he confronted Dooku and told him about Darth Sidious' involvement in the Invasion of Naboo. Dooku told Nute that he would tell the Jedi this information, but he did not. He was confronted on Coruscant by Darth Sidious, who found it easy to convince Dooku to join the Sith.

Count Dooku was fully immersed in Darth Sidious' schemes. Darth Sidious gave him one final task for him to complete as a Jedi: Kill Sifo-Diyas and fund his clone army. Sifo-Diyas had contracted the Kaminoans to create a Clone Army to serve the Jedi and Republic. Dooku infiltrated the Jedi Temple and killed his former friend. He then removed Kamino, Dromund, Dagobah, and several other systems from the Jedi Archives and began funding the Kaminoans with his wealth as Count of Serenno. He also stole information on several secret Jedi hyperspace routes into the Deep Core.

His fall was complete and he was reborn as Darth Tyranus...

Dooku was a repected Jedi Master and skilled swordsmen, rivaled by only two Jedi: Yoda and Mace Windu. He was also very powerful in telekinesis. His fall was unexpected and struck the Jedi hard. Dooku became known as one of the Lost Twenty, Jedi that left the Order willingly. Dooku was the greatest among these and a bust of him was placed in the Jedi Archives.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

Good read.

One thing: You say he's rivaled by only 2 Jedi (Yoda and Mace). Was Qui-gon not Mace's equal? I would also argue that Obi-wan was his equal (or a near-equal). I think that the only reason that Dooku was able to beat Obi-wan was because his lightsaber form happened to be the perfect counter against Obi-wan's.

The Obi-wan argument is just a theory, but I'm pretty sure Qui-gon is at Dooku's level. Am I wrong?

Good read.

One thing: You say he's rivaled by only 2 Jedi (Yoda and Mace). Was Qui-gon not Mace's equal? I would also argue that Obi-wan was his equal (or a near-equal). I think that the only reason that Dooku was able to beat Obi-wan was because his lightsaber form happened to be the perfect counter against Obi-wan's.

The Obi-wan argument is just a theory, but I'm pretty sure Qui-gon is at Dooku's level. Am I wrong?

Qui-Gon is a skilled duelist and can duel Mace as an equal, but Dooku is superior. Mace and Yoda are the only ones who can beat Dooku in a duel*.

I don't think Obi-Wan is an equal to Dooku. Dooku is a better duelist than Obi-Wan. An all-out duel would be difficult to determine who the victor would be. Obi-Wan's mastery of Soresu could get the better of Dooku's Makashi, but Dooku is knowledgeable in all seven forms which gives him an advantage.

*There are others who could beat Dooku, but during his time Mace and Yoda are the only Jedi that could beat him. Anakin beat him as well, but I think Dooku was past his prime.

Qui-Gon is a skilled duelist and can duel Mace as an equal, but Dooku is superior. Mace and Yoda are the only ones who can beat Dooku in a duel*.

I don't think Obi-Wan is an equal to Dooku. Dooku is a better duelist than Obi-Wan. An all-out duel would be difficult to determine who the victor would be. Obi-Wan's mastery of Soresu could get the better of Dooku's Makashi, but Dooku is knowledgeable in all seven forms which gives him an advantage.

*There are others who could beat Dooku, but during his time Mace and Yoda are the only Jedi that could beat him. Anakin beat him as well, but I think Dooku was past his prime.

Hang on, you just said that Qui-gon could duel as a equal with Mace, and then you said that Mace is one of the few who could beat Dooku. Doesn't this indicate that Qui-gon si at the same level of Dooku? Please explain.

Hang on, you just said that Qui-gon could duel as a equal with Mace, and then you said that Mace is one of the few who could beat Dooku. Doesn't this indicate that Qui-gon si at the same level of Dooku? Please explain.

Mace beats Dooku with Vaapad. That's the biggest thing Mace has to beat Dooku. Qui-Gon does not have Vaapad. Yoda beats Dooku due to superior Lightsaber skills.

EDIT: Not to mention Mace Windu having Shatterpoint as well.

Edited by Aurbere

Dooku is definitly one of my favorite PT characters. (Because, you know, CHRISTOPHER LEE.) Pity that he only played an important role in one of the movies.

He should have been involved in Episode I, not yet a villian, but an important political figure. And he should have died halfway through Episode III, not at the beginning.

Dooku is definitly one of my favorite PT characters. (Because, you know, CHRISTOPHER LEE.) Pity that he only played an important role in one of the movies.

He should have been involved in Episode I, not yet a villian, but an important political figure. And he should have died halfway through Episode III, not at the beginning.

I agree. I think Qui-Gon should have had interaction with Dooku during EP. 1, but at the time, Dooku was sort of a recluse. He didn't do much during TPM. Maybe they could have had an encounter with him at the Temple? That would be cool.

Shame Dooku got killed at the beginning of EP. 3 though.

Very good read, and i also agree, probably the greatest Form II saber duelest ever.

He is one of the best ever. A true duelist with real class. I think Christopher Lee really brought his own personality into the characrter as well.

I agree. I think Qui-Gon should have had interaction with Dooku during EP. 1, but at the time, Dooku was sort of a recluse. He didn't do much during TPM. Maybe they could have had an encounter with him at the Temple? That would be cool.

Shame Dooku got killed at the beginning of EP. 3 though.

I think with a few tweeks to Dooku's story it could have been like this:

Episode I:

During this time, Dooku tried to get rid of the corruption in the senate. So add him and a some senators who share his goals. They support Amidala in the debate, because for them it is an opportunity to expose corrupt senators. Finally, Palpatine, Amidala and Dooku argue about initiating a vote of no confidence against Valorum. Amidala decides not to do this. So while she is on her way back to Naboo, Dooku's faction does it.

A Qui-Gon - Dooku scene at the temple would happen along the way.

Episode II:

Let Dooku and Grievous escape with Palpatine and then go to different places. To find Palpatine, Obi-Wan and Anakin have to part and Obi-Wan ends up encountering Grievous while Anakin encounters Dooku and Palpatine. More dark side manipulation from Palpatine in this fight, which ends as we know from the movies.

Meanwhile on Coruscant the Jedi find out that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. So when he returns with Anakin, they confront him and it ends like we know it.

(Well, that's how I would have given Dooku more room in the movies. Of course, Darth Maul fans would probably rather remove him totally and give Maul a more prominent role.)

I think with a few tweeks to Dooku's story it could have been like this:

Episode I:

During this time, Dooku tried to get rid of the corruption in the senate. So add him and a some senators who share his goals. They support Amidala in the debate, because for them it is an opportunity to expose corrupt senators. Finally, Palpatine, Amidala and Dooku argue about initiating a vote of no confidence against Valorum. Amidala decides not to do this. So while she is on her way back to Naboo, Dooku's faction does it.

A Qui-Gon - Dooku scene at the temple would happen along the way.

Episode II:

Let Dooku and Grievous escape with Palpatine and then go to different places. To find Palpatine, Obi-Wan and Anakin have to part and Obi-Wan ends up encountering Grievous while Anakin encounters Dooku and Palpatine. More dark side manipulation from Palpatine in this fight, which ends as we know from the movies.

Meanwhile on Coruscant the Jedi find out that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. So when he returns with Anakin, they confront him and it ends like we know it.

(Well, that's how I would have given Dooku more room in the movies. Of course, Darth Maul fans would probably rather remove him totally and give Maul a more prominent role.)

That sounds pretty good. I don't think Maul would be a very good villain imo. Maul was just a weapon, whereas Dooku had credits, power and leadership abilities. Maul would not have been a good leader for the CIS. Dooku fit that role perfectly.