FULL AUTO AND MORTAR VOLLEY: Blatantly Broken

Potfish

Greetings,

The problem with these two abilities is their cast times. The Trooper spends so much time going through a casting animation instead of actually using the abilities whereas the Bounty Hunter does not.

For example, Mortar Volley is supposed to launch three shells over three seconds. Instead, the Trooper spends the first two seconds going through an animation and the final second launching two shells. The third shell launches after the channel time has already expired. The Bounty Hunter does not have this problem, so obviously he has an advantage especially in PvP because enemies have an additional 2-3 seconds to move from Mortar Volley as opposed to Death from Above.

In addition, Full Auto will only deal damage twice (as opposed to three times) if the Trooper suffers from pushback. This would be fine except the Bounty Hunter's Unload is not vulnerable to pushback and will always deal its full damage. Full Auto must also be channeled for at least 1.4 seconds before it begins doing any damage, whilst Unload must only be channeled for at least .8 seconds.

The following video demonstrates these imbalances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayZJfjVGkao

This should be addressed because the Bounty Hunter and Trooper are supposed to be mirrored and on even ground. The way it is now, the Bounty Hunter is simply better than the Trooper. BioWare, please take note and consider fixing these problems.

Thank you,

Potfish/Turtlemilk

Edited by Potfish

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, it isn't that hard:

Pulse Cannon is a Channeled spell. There is one hit after the spell is cast. Taking damage will push back the progress bar, thus delaying that hit. You will get the full effect of the attack if you are getting hit repeatedly, but the DPS (Damage per Second) will not be efficient; your DPS/Ammo will drop because of longer casting times.

Auto Fire is a Concentration spell. In this spell three hits will generate with no interference. Essentially you need a minimum time to perform each attack, that's why there is a delay for the first damage to be generated. Taking damage harms your concentration, thus it removes the total time on your casting bar and you then get less hits on the spell.

Both of these you should try to avoid using while taking damage, but especially Auto Fire.

Concentration spells are working as intended, and are prevalent in many games. A perfect example would be the Mage's Arcane Missles spell without any talents (it has been a while since I played wow, they may have changed how that spell works.

I hope this clears thing up a bit better for you guys new to this type of game. If you want the full hits in on Auto Fire, make sure you CC (Crowd Control) the target first or get the Tank to get Aggro back.

Guys, it isn't that hard:

Pulse Cannon is a Channeled spell. There is one hit after the spell is cast. Taking damage will push back the progress bar, thus delaying that hit. You will get the full effect of the attack if you are getting hit repeatedly, but the DPS (Damage per Second) will not be efficient; your DPS/Ammo will drop because of longer casting times.

Auto Fire is a Concentration spell. In this spell three hits will generate with no interference. Essentially you need a minimum time to perform each attack, that's why there is a delay for the first damage to be generated. Taking damage harms your concentration, thus it removes the total time on your casting bar and you then get less hits on the spell.

Both of these you should try to avoid using while taking damage, but especially Auto Fire.

Concentration spells are working as intended, and are prevalent in many games. A perfect example would be the Mage's Arcane Missles spell without any talents (it has been a while since I played wow, they may have changed how that spell works.

I hope this clears thing up a bit better for you guys new to this type of game. If you want the full hits in on Auto Fire, make sure you CC (Crowd Control) the target first or get the Tank to get Aggro back.

No. You are wrong. The Bounty Hunter can be hit all he/she wants while channeling his version of Full Auto and will not suffer any pushback.

The Trooper being "slower" applies in several other cases as well. Even the Bounty Hunter's Rocket Punch has a much faster activation time than the Trooper's Stockstrike. Also, you can be hit all you want while channeling Pulse Cannon and all three hits will register.

I will make a video comparing several of these abilities to demonstrate this.

Edited by Potfish

No. You are wrong. The Bounty Hunter can be hit all he/she wants while channeling his version of Full Auto and will not suffer any pushback.

The Trooper being "slower" applies in several other cases as well. Even the Bounty Hunter's Rocket Punch has a much faster activation time than the Trooper's Stockstrike. Also, you can be hit all you want while channeling Pulse Cannon and all three hits will register.

I will make a video comparing several of these abilities to demonstrate this.

-Two separate classes. Trying to say that abilities from different classes should be the exact same because they look/name similar is foolish. You have no idea of what balancing issues BW had in mind for how these abilities work. The class is more than just the sum of one/two abilities.

-Read what I said, there is a difference between "channeled" and "concentrated." Full Auto is a concentrated spell.

-Two separate classes. Trying to say that abilities from different classes should be the exact same because they look/name similar is foolish. You have no idea of what balancing issues BW had in mind for how these abilities work. The class is more than just the sum of one/two abilities.

-Read what I said, there is a difference between "channeled" and "concentrated." Full Auto is a concentrated spell.

Can you please stop posting nonsense? Full Auto even says itself is a channeled spell, therefore it is a channeled spell. There is no disputing that and you're only making yourself look foolish.

I agree, the delay on these abilities are extremely annoying and unnecessary.

I know this might sound blasphemy, but i think maybe Mortar volley should either provide a ground knocked to the group or root ability or slow ability to provide Mortar volley as a valuable option for pvp. Maybe make a talent skill that provides that kind of ability.

I agree, just make it start a nuclear bomb that blows up everything, instantly. :|

I use the full auto skill all the time, but really I think my character sucks more because I choose vanguard, and there's not way to choose commando after you've selected your type. (other than a annoying reroll..)

Can you please stop posting nonsense? Full Auto even says itself is a channeled spell, therefore it is a channeled spell. There is no disputing that and you're only making yourself look foolish.

I agree, the delay on these abilities are extremely annoying and unnecessary.

The classes are mirrored. Meaning they are supposed to be the exact same.

My video is saving and I will post it. It compares three abilities (except it does not show Death from Above because I am not level 10 yet).

Someone complaining about mortar strike :rolleyes:

Mortar Strike is a powerful ability that is on a relatively short cool down. It is strategic and meant to be used at an opportune time when mobs are bunched up and NOT moving. Learn to use it properly.

It not really complaining, but maybe a suggestion. See in PVE its okay, its absolutely perfect. But in PVP in other hand, you really really have to find a perfect momment, It is really situational. You have to pray that the enemies are stupid enough to stand still and clump up.

This is so lol worthy, you had to have done this on purpose. But, just in case you're not trolling, I give you the benefit of a doubt. You do realize Trooper and BH are mirrors of each othe right? That the abilities do the exact same thing, but looks/named a little different? Mortar Volley = death from above. This is by dev design.

This is why you were asked to just stop posting nonsense. lol.

Edited by Sanctioned

I don't think the skills need changed just the animations so that they do what they are suppose to during their supposed time frame and not after.

Drives me nuts seeing my guy stand still for 2 seconds and 2 attacking when the whole thing is suppose to be over 3 seconds

You have to pray that the enemies are stupid enough to stand still and clump up.

And they are, especially in objective pvp.

You have to admit its quite the thrill opening up on a group of mobs or players with a plasma grenade and then blasting them with Hail of Bolts while they're still on fire. If they're still wanting more toss a sticky grenade and then mortarstrike haha! Brings new meaning to crowd control - disperse or die!

Then don't use it if you think it suck... Full auto is our best single target DPS (at least at level 23 it still is). And Mortar volley is simply... the best AoE in the game I've seen yet?

1 mortar volley can literally shot 50% of the life bar on a huge area in Warzone. That is a lot and well used at the good place it's a complete massacre.

For full auto I could understand if being vanguard should be instant but for a commando, that big huge gun need to be stabilized for you to shoot straight with such pew pew power.

I don't think the skills need changed just the animations so that they do what they are suppose to during their supposed time frame and not after.

Drives me nuts seeing my guy stand still for 2 seconds and 2 attacking when the whole thing is suppose to be over 3 seconds

I'll agree that Full auto feels a tad off but mortar strike is actually bang on. The animation shows the trooper ready his cannon and brace himself for the sheer amount of kickback from firing massive grenade rounds. I think it fits the ability very well.

The abilities are obviously not functioning correctly.

Your entire argument is semantic nonsense.

You people are not understanding what I'm saying.

Full Auto is great. Mortar Volley is great. The problem is that the Bounty Hunter has superior versions of these abilities. The classes are imbalanced when they are supposed to be mirrored.

The reason is obvious... the Trooper's abilities are not functioning correctly, such as when Mortar Volley launches a shell after the channeling time has already expired. Also such as when the Trooper spends half of Full Auto's channel time doing a preparation animation, when the Bounty Hunter does not.

Here is my video demonstrating these imbalances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayZJfjVGkao

Edited by Potfish

You people are not understanding what I'm saying.

Full Auto is great. Mortar Volley is great. The problem is that the Bounty Hunter has superior versions of these abilities. The classes are imbalanced when they are supposed to be mirrored.

The reason is obvious... the Trooper's abilities are not functioning correctly, such as when Mortar Volley launches a shell after the channeling time has already expired. Also such as when the Trooper spends half of Full Auto's channel time doing a preparation animation, when the Bounty Hunter does not.

Here is my video demonstrating these imbalances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u7Ey9Uyvr8

Yeah. It's all pretty damn obvious in your video.

I support this movement wholeheartedly. How can the fearless warriors of the republic military expect to instill fear in their enemies if they broadcast their intentions with bright flashing lights and lasers 5 minutes before they ever do anything. It doesnt make much sense to telegraph the attacks that far in advance, especially considering how a simple sidestep will put anyone who is paying even the slightest amount of attention out of range to take any damage whatsoever.

It would probably be fairly simple to change it to match the BH version, so heres to BioWare making the right call and adjusting it for myself and my fellow soldiers of fort---err, the republic!!

I agree with your points on full auto/unload and the Mortar volley problems, and I do think these need to be addressee, but your first example on Stockstrike is blatantly wrong.

It's not when the animation lands, it's when the damage is dealt that matters. Both abilities, Stock Strike and Rocket Punch, are instant-cast, and can be used while moving. The damage is done as soon as the button is pressed, NOT when the physical contact between sprites is made.

Look at your own video, the droid's health bar goes down as soon as the button is pressed, a fraction before the rifle hits him.

The animation is around the same length as rocket punch, the only difference is that VISUAL (NOT mathematical, hit-point related) contact is made later for the Trooper, which is inconsequential as far as balance goes.