*sigh* Galaxy saved... again...

Chromedbustop

As much as there is to enjoy in the game there's one thing with the story that keeps bugging me: How often my actions have galactic level consequences. I'm not just talking about the main story.

Seems like every time I turn in a mission I'm told that my actions have saved countless lives. I've stopped lord knows how many Armageddons.

Being told how great I am time after time really dilutes the whole idea of the compliment. I get that the dialogue is supposed to come off as rewarding. But I don't need to hear of my awesomness again and again. Trust me... I know :D

Maybe you need to choose dark side options more?

My quest turn in's tend to go like this:

Questgiver: "Well done. You are incredible."

Me: "I know."

Questgiver: "Don't be an ahole."

Heh you're probably right. Then it'll just be the extreme on the other side. Sometimes a simple thanks is all thats needed. And some credits... And commendations...

In addition to the fact that your character seems to be the best of the best of the best in everything. He is no more than 25 and has already done things no one else (besides 700k other players) could accomplish. It's especially accented in Sith/Jedi storylines.

This is why I don't really enjoy playing on Republic. Too much of too many annoying little things. :D

On Empire side, the NPCs just worship my warrior, he does his job and causes chaos whenever possible and all in the name of the Emperor. If there's some officer who disapproves, he/she usually dies by very Darth Vaderish force choke and then gets instantly replaced by more approving person.

yes. that trend of pumping up the main character/player in games is irritating me to no end. its way out of bounds.

this has become a trend especially in rpgs. and bioware is taking it up way too much with its recent titles.

there is a point where pumping up crosses the ridiculous line, and it has been passed long ago.

you know what is much more believable and realistic ? being a participant in a grand story - just like how star wars is. all characters in star wars saga were just participants in a grand scheme of things - even luke was just another figure, like anakin, like yoda, they just played their part in how things have unfolded. none of them single handedly saved the galaxy.

As much as there is to enjoy in the game there's one thing with the story that keeps bugging me: How often my actions have galactic level consequences. I'm not just talking about the main story.

Seems like every time I turn in a mission I'm told that my actions have saved countless lives. I've stopped lord knows how many Armageddons.

Being told how great I am time after time really dilutes the whole idea of the compliment. I get that the dialogue is supposed to come off as rewarding. But I don't need to hear of my awesomness again and again. Trust me... I know :D

I don't mind playing important figure, frankly I can't imagine myself playing some character with lower stature than Sith Warrior, atm. Can't say how it is on Republic, but I haven't heard or seen too much praising on Empire side. Not in a way that it would annoy me.

I remember back in the old pen & paper Star Wars RP game (West End Games) they said right there in the book (not verbatim) that though your actions may well affect the lives of millions, maybe even several worlds, the galaxy still encompasses thousands upon thousands of planets & trillions of beings. In other words, the 'Big Picture' is still bigger than you, no matter how big you may get.

And that was the point and appeal of the game. The movie canon stuff was still happening, the big players (Luke, Vader, et al) were still shaping the galaxy as a whole, but you (the players) still affected the stuff that happened in the background. Yes, you could very well save a planet... planet in question being some forgotten backwater world in the middle of nowhere. But you had fun doing it anyway because the game was about adventure, not ego gratification.

Sadly, that's a concept that's been lost over the years with game designers, and especially with the MMORPG realm - though in the latter case, players themselves are often to blame. At the dawn of gaming, the games were designed to give some sense of excitement & adventure to young-to-middle aged types with boring, tedious jobs & classes.

These days, though, it's all about the "leet" kids who were told from birth that their precious snowflakes and all destined to be president, and thus this new generation all want their games to fill the gap in that desire of self-importance that reality will never, ever deliver.

I don't mind playing important figure, frankly I can't imagine myself playing some character with lower stature than Sith Warrior, atm. Can't say how it is on Republic, but I haven't heard or seen too much praising on Empire side. Not in a way that it would annoy me.

it is absolutely in the opposite direction, but, on the same level on the sith side :

a group of totally self-centered, bloodthirsty, manipulating, hierarchical people, but, for some reason the existence in between sith/empire and its factions/prominent figures is way beyond harmonious. bar a few side quest stories or dialogue options, the sith side seems as if they are not sith/evil, but as if holy roman empire or any random aristocratic empire of earth's own history.