Terribly slow download speed, suggestions?

antonuppsala

this would have been a lot easier if there was just a file server direct download... or even a torrent now im at 19 gig with 1.8 gig left for the "English Assets" please to god dont be more after this...

there is more my friend! After the first 4.8gb english assets there were some small 180mb files and then ANOTHER 4.8gb english assets file which i am currently on! Download speeds are at 45kbps for me and still 3.5gbs to go! I sleep now and hopefully it'll be done when i come back from University tomorrow evening! :D

May the Force be with us All!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. game directory

2. filename launcher.settings

3. open with notepad

4. scroll to bottom, edit "P2PEnabled": "true" <-- may be set to false

5. save with notepad

fixed mine,now back to usual 2.65mb/s speed

I don't know if it was this fix or simply pausing and un-pausing the download, but I went from 96 kb/s to over 2 mb/s last night after doing both these things!

For those looking for the file, it's in Program Files/Electronic Arts/Bioware/Star Wars - The Old Republic

One would think a game like this would have some serious pipes for getting the client out.

I just started the download now and I hover around 130 kb/sec with p2p enabled...

This is going to take the rest of the week :p

One would think a game like this would have some serious pipes for getting the client out.

I just started the download now and I hover around 130 kb/sec with p2p enabled...

This is going to take the rest of the week :p

If you've already hit the area where it starts downloading the patches, you can run manual downloads (outside the launcher). This is how I got past the speed bump issues (launcher went from 3MB/s to 15kb/s on the first patch and then timed out and had to restart over and over).

See the last post from Syce on this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91529

• 2 months later...
1. game directory

3. open with notepad

5. save with notepad

cos i'll be damned if i'm kept from playing what i paid for cos of minor screw ups, hope this works and see all you new guys in the game, enjoy!

Furthermore http://www.speedguide.net download tcp optimizer, open it.

open browser http://www.speedtest.net begin test, whatever download says in mbps go into tcp optimizer program set top scrolly bar to that, check optimal box. apply, reboot.

Cheers, enabling P2P worked for me. For those of you that this didn't help, it could quite possibly be because the appropriate ports are not open?

As i have no idea what ports the launcher uses for its P2P downloading i just set my machine as a DMZ host for the time being, zipping along at a respectable 1.5MB/s now.

• 4 weeks later...
I use to download like 300kbs, then i changed time zone like 10 hours difference. I did paused then play, and suddenly i got 3.90Mbps. I will try diff timezones to see if any big differences. Edit: I did and seems download speed depends on time zone. Edited by Yvvy

hi guys, I apologize for not replying in awhile. quick way to find out where your game is installed is right click the launchers shortcut on desktop/quicklaunch/startmenu view the properties of it to find out where it's installed (target field)

swtor needs 2052, 2053, 8995, 12000-12999, and 20000-30000. opening these in your respective routers setup page for port forwarding -should- help clear up some of the speed issues. make sure the launcher.exe is allowed in your firewall software (whatever that may be) and make sure the firewall software is set to allow modifications/exceptions. Because even if you have it added, and don't allow exceptions is on. it basically flips it back to default mode (in some cases) meaning it's not allowing anything but standard stuff. (and judging by the wacky port-ranges swtor is anything but standard.

oh, also. opening a command prompt (start run cmd) netstat -n -o will show process identifiers as to what program is communicating with what port on your computer. leftside being local, (you) right side being where it's going. if a port range exists outside of what a company says their game uses, just modify it in your router settings. Process identifiers can be shown in the windows task manager and are turned off by default

For windows xp ctrl alt delete, view menu, select columns. check pid (windows 7 same thing i believe)

hope this helps you guys out!

Thanks for all the replies, ive tried pausing and re-starting, it helps speed up connection when its slow but if its mediocre then it might just aswell drop down to slow. Bit of a gamble there hehe.

I just tried this and it went from 129 KB/s to 1075 KB/s, cheers for the idea. It has slowed down a little bit but its average is about 722KB/s.....I can live with that.......for now :D

Neither launcher.settings or adding the ports to my router worked. Its odd according to Speed Test, I get 1.5 Mb/s download. Yet the launcher (and bittorrent - which isn't running right now) gets only 175 Kb/s download max. And its always been like that, I can't figure out why speed test says I should be getting faster speeds but no matter what I do I can't get those speeds.

Neither launcher.settings or adding the ports to my router worked. Its odd according to Speed Test, I get 1.5 Mb/s download. Yet the launcher (and bittorrent - which isn't running right now) gets only 175 Kb/s download max. And its always been like that, I can't figure out why speed test says I should be getting faster speeds but no matter what I do I can't get those speeds.

Keep your bits and bytes straight.

1.5 Megabits/sec does work out to around 170 kilobytes/sec after allowing for error correction and other transmission overhead.

Keep your bits and bytes straight.

1.5 Megabits/sec does work out to around 170 kilobytes/sec after allowing for error correction and other transmission overhead.

Thanks for info. Though thats a shame, I had hoped it was bytes instead of bits. That would mean I just had to find out what was causing the slow down and fix it. Now I know the only way to fix the slow down is to pay my ISP even more money.....

Which also means I won't be playing for the majority of the day, I'm downloading the 4.81 gb portion of 1.2 as I write this. Cause at 170 Kb/s It will take till about 5 or 6 pm CDT (it's almost 12pm now), at which time I will be gone for two hours. I might be able to get some play time after I get back before going to bed though.

• 2 months later...
1. game directory

3. open with notepad

5. save with notepad

cos i'll be damned if i'm kept from playing what i paid for cos of minor screw ups, hope this works and see all you new guys in the game, enjoy!

Furthermore http://www.speedguide.net download tcp optimizer, open it.

open browser http://www.speedtest.net begin test, whatever download says in mbps go into tcp optimizer program set top scrolly bar to that, check optimal box. apply, reboot.

I scrolled to the bottom, and I couldn't find anything about P2P. This is the last line.

[Tuesday Jun 26 16:38:40 2012] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Tuesday Jun 26 16:38:40 2012] | STAR WARS: The Old Republic installer finished

[Tuesday Jun 26 16:38:40 2012] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Even though it says finished, I am still downloading. Can anyone give me advice as to what to do here?:rak_02:

Ok, I have been searching the internet for the past 2 days on solutions and tried everything. Yes I read all posts here too and it doesn't get any higher than 10 kb/s!

So here is my situation. I bought a new PC. So I need to re-download swtor.

Before I used Windows XP. Now I got Windows 7. Tried everything, opening ports; disabling firewall entirely; Setting the P2P to "true". Pausing/Resuming. Uninstalling, Re-installing. What else is there to try? My connection is suppose to be great. And my download speed is good on anything else.

Getting desperate on this matter because it is a waste of my subscription if I cant even download the game :(

Yea i'm now having the same issue, i live in county so i get slow speeds anyway, but i average around 200 kb/s to 400 kb/s. I've got two machines, one for me one for my wife, updated on her computer at 400 kb/s and on mine i'm at 10 kb/s and getting 'Network error while downloading patch. Retrying' at times. Just did a fix launcher which has been 'fixin' or upating as it says for the last 2 hours. I'm guessing something fluked on my machine since my wife's is working fine. P2P is true, and firewall is all good, anyone got any ideas?

I seem to have found what the solution was.. well kinda.

My machine has 32 GB of RAM and I had Windows 7 Home Edition installed.

Home Edition uses 16GB max. So I got the ultimate edition now and it downloads fast again.

I have no clue why but somehow it's related to what your system uses in RAM. I read a post on this topic of someone who uninstalled half of his RAM in order to get it downloaded and then reïnstalled it again after.

I have fast internet, but a wireless connection to my pc. Plays twitch games like bf3 fast, no lag, and downloads other stuff at 1 to 2 mb/s. I was getting 200-600 kbps on the client patcher until i stretched a cat5 from my router to the pc and it leapt straight to 2mbps.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have just purchased the game, and my download speed like everyone else is around 200kb/s, I have read the multiple forum post about this problem and applied all recommended solutions, it is obvious that the problem is server side. It is also obvious that no one is doing anything about it. This is unacceptable. I will loose days of subscription because of the download speed. I must literally sped days downloading the game.

The easiest solution would be if Bioware would please post a torrent download option on the site, however I doubt they will. So I am calling to the community, if someone can post a torrent with game ISO's if possible that would help many of us a lot. If they will not help us let us help ourselves.

PLEASE REFFER TO THE FORUM TOPIC I HAVE CREATED FOR THIS PROBLEM MAYBE WE CAN DOO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Regards,

Someone falling to the dark side.

• 1 month later...
I'm able to download at around 1 Mbps for approximately 15 minutes, then it slows down to 15-20Kbps. If I restart the launcher the download speed will go back up again, but continuing to shutting down and starting it up again is just stupid. 1 year after the game has been launched and this is the type of download speed I get? New low for BioWare and EA, terrible low.

I also suffer from this horrible download speed. I've got a 120Mbit connection and through steam I can download 20gb games within 30min. My SWTOR download however has now been running for 24hrs and I'm nowhere near done. When I right-click my SWTOR folder it's total-size is not even 13gb.

I'm pretty sure it's not just server related. My download starts with like 2000kbps and almost instantly drops down to 500kbps, then slowing down to anywhere between 50 and 200kbps. However, the 'total downloaded' part on the left doesn't increase at all during the first 15-30seconds. (probably verifying existing files?)

Also, when I quit the launcher, it doesn't even properly closes till after about 20 seconds it throws an exception. Also, while it's downloading, I constantly see a message pop up that a download may have stalled as there were no packets receive for 90 seconds. However, when this message appears, download speed indication tells me it's about 200kbps at all times.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro x64 (fresh install). (didn't have this issue about 6 months ago during my last fresh windows install (same OS, but release-preview)

If anybody has found the cause and/or a possible work-around, please let me know, coz I wanna play. Not watch the launcher do little to nothing to make it happen.

Edited by nGAGE

• 3 months later...