[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

TheRealBowser

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone feels like there's anything lacking from this guide, especially in terms of lists (like if you think listing all the crit bonuses would be helpful, or some other organization) just let me know. This guide is still a work in progress, but I am glad it's been helpful to everyone.

I think you could improve the guide readability by reformatting. Try using a different text color for headings. When summarizing the best crew skills for each side include crit bonuses.

e. Republic Side Summary

Best at Crew Skills:

Artifice: Jedi Knight (+10 eff) (only option)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5 crit)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5 crit)

Armormech: Trooper (+5 crit)

Cybertech: Jedi Consular (+10 eff) and Smuggler (+10 eff)

Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5 crit)

Archeology: Jedi Consular (+15 eff)

Scavenging: Trooper (+5 crit)

Bioanalysis: Jedi Knight (+10 eff), Trooper (+10 eff), & Smuggler (+2 crit)

Slicing: Jedi Knight (+2 crit), Jedi Consular (+10 eff), & Trooper (+10 eff)

Treasure Hunting: Trooper (+2 crit)

Underworld Trading: Jedi Knight (+5 eff), Jedi Consular (+1 crit), Trooper (+1 crit), & Smuggler (+5 eff)

Investigation: Trooper (+10 eff)

Diplomacy: Smuggler (+15 eff)

For example include the +2 crit bonuses on Trooper and Jedi Consular companions. I value crit bonuses usually higher than eff as time it not an issue. Especially with companions I leave behind. But critical success on mission like diplomacy or underworld trading payoff often very well.

eff vs. crit = quantity vs. quality.

This way the side summary becomes more useful when you plan ahead the crew skills distribution on multiple chars on one side. Especially since except for Nar shaddar GTN it's impossible to trade items with the opposing side.

Edited by Dragoon-

I think you could improve the guide readability by reformatting. Try using a different text color for headings. When summarizing the best crew skills for each side include crit bonuses.

For example include the +2 crit bonuses on Trooper and Jedi Consular companions. I value crit bonuses usually higher than eff as time it not an issue. Especially with companions I leave behind. But critical success on mission like diplomacy or underworld trading payoff often very well.

eff vs. crit = quantity vs. quality.

This way the side summary becomes more useful when you plan ahead the crew skills distribution on multiple chars on one side. Especially since except for Nar shaddar GTN it's impossible to trade items with the opposing side.

These are some pretty good ideas. I don't know that I'll do it this morning, but I think I will do this soon. I will list the best crit and best efficiency options for players to choose from.

PS: Awesome, this got stickied after all! Thanks everyone. I'm glad that this guide has been so helpful to everyone!

Good guide OP, I mention most of this in my guide too. I agree with the other person, it needs to be a bit easier to read.

Are people really picking crew skills based on their class and not what they like the look of though? Seems a shame!

Are people really picking crew skills based on their class and not what they like the look of though? Seems a shame!

Honestly, most of the crew skills that the classes are best at actually fit very well with the image of how that class should be played, anyway.

For my main character, I just picked Biochem 'cause it fit my character concept. After that, though, I refer to this guide quite a bit, since I have 5 alts specifically for the other crafting classes. So, since I'm doing all of the crafts anyway, and all of my characters will have access to them, I might as well get as much bang for my buck as I can.

Granted, I don't think the edge is really that extreme, especially in comparison with just affection levels in general, but a small edge is better than no edge.

Great guide, very helpful!

Wouldn't you recommend sith warrior for synthweaving, because of Jasea's +5 crit. Isn't critical crafting the only way to get the 'mastercrafted' pieces (therefore making it more important than efficiency in the long run)?

Also, no companions have a crit on artificing? That would come in handy for mastercrafting lightsabers (although I haven't gotten that far yet on artificing, so I don't know for sure it works that way).

Having just read this thread for the first time, i'm not surprised i made a small mistake in making my Marauder an Artificer; now level 32 and committed to the trade at nearly 300 points, and then starting an Inquisitor a couple days ago; with whom I chose Synthweaver.

I'm a bit torn though since with the Marauder; he's an Artificer, Treasure Hunter and has Archaeology. This said do i NEED to have Archaeology as well to be a good Synthweaver? Regardless I'm taking a pass and will select a not-so-strictly related gathering skill. There is a lot to consider as to what will be of most benefit to either of my toons or to a yet to be created third.

Just a thought to expand past the considerations of any single character requirements of crafting. How to best share resources amongst characters on one account.

:wea_01::wea_03::D

Having just read this thread for the first time, i'm not surprised i made a small mistake in making my Marauder an Artificer; now level 32 and committed to the trade at nearly 300 points, and then starting an Inquisitor a couple days ago; with whom I chose Synthweaver.

I'm a bit torn though since with the Marauder; he's an Artificer, Treasure Hunter and has Archaeology. This said do i NEED to have Archaeology as well to be a good Synthweaver? Regardless I'm taking a pass and will select a not-so-strictly related gathering skill. There is a lot to consider as to what will be of most benefit to either of my toons or to a yet to be created third.

Just a thought to expand past the considerations of any single character requirements of crafting. How to best share resources amongst characters on one account.

:wea_01::wea_03::D

Inquisitors are excellent synthweavers also, but how good of artificers they are is unbelievable compared to anyone else really.

Archeology provides 80% of the resources for synthweaving and artifice, so I highly recommend you take it. It's not required, but it may as well be. You will be spending tons of credits just to get by, let alone once you start reverse engineering. Treasure hunting/underworld trading are the same thing, except that they only effect prototype and artifact crafting.