More to do with Revan and Revanites please!

Crazed_Jawa

So it can never truly compare to the universe of The Lord of the Rings in consistency, depth and quality.

Consistency: definitely. Too many cooks and all that. Although in some respects, this is more feature than bug; there are different kinds of Star Wars experience for different people.

Depth: depends on what you mean by depth. If you mean infinity poems about random crap that makes passing appearances in the storyline, then yeah, LotR has Star Wars beat. If you mean a narrative that explores, in great and sometimes excruciating detail, not only everything that happened to everybody in a given story, but also the backstories of the backstory characters in that story, then wouldn't you have to go with Star Wars? Adding depth was one of the first goals that the EU writers and the Holocron keepers had: give everybody who had screen time in a Star Wars movie a name and a story. That's one of the places where having lots and lots of writers is a clear advantage over having one writer who cribs a lot from Welsh and Norse mythology.

Quality: meh. Tolkien's worldbuilding was superb, and as a fantasy exercise it was basically the first of its kind. His books were fantastic for that. But his story-writing was notoriously indifferent. He combined the distracting aspects of the Iliad - the mega-long death speeches, digressions on family history and local mythology of incidental objects, and so on - with an inability to compose action the way the ancient Greek rhapsodes could. Tolkien's writing was boring, and I say this as a graduate student who spends a great deal of time poring through boring history writing. (That, incidentally, is one of the greatest things about the Peter Jackson films; while they're regrettably only able to take a snapshot of Tolkien's lore in many respects, they reanimate his relatively lifeless prose in natural settings, emotional experience, and of course action.) By comparison, Star Wars is home to a whole lot of dreck, yeah, but also to some of the best science fiction/fantasy writing of the last several decades.

---

On the main thread subject, I have to say that KotOR and Revan diehards got an awful lot of fanservice already. The Revanites are a random weak sect with bizarre opinions, hopelessly muddled philosophy that even the ancient Greeks could poke huge holes in (let alone the likes of Wittgenstein), and embarrassingly poor security protocols. Also, they're complete idiots. I'm willing to slog through their quests every time I level an Imp alt, but I don't particularly enjoy it, and I'd be a little unhappy if I had to do anything more with them.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely second this idea. I for one bought this game for the sole reason as it was said to be Kotor 3,4,5,6,7,8 and beyond. 2 Flashpoints with Revan and the Exile in them is not Kotor 3. Everyone else that bought this game for 50$ when it came out ,who bought it for that reason also ,technically , already paid for Kotor 3 then. I'm not against Swtor , i like it. But i do feel like i got Jipped or bait and switched .

That's a sad statement. I leave the judgement as to whether it is true or not to others, but, Hell! Revan was their Revan, now he's a plot element, a bloody NPC. Their character, look at that, is their actual MMO toon. Do they not shape them as they like too? I know I do. But people hoped they could recreate and play as Revan again? Sad, just sad. Puerile.

No, I do not. I've never played KOTOR, so I don't really have a dog in that fight, but I do not and cannot shape my character as she is meant to be played, because the game will not let me love. And that's... utterly rageworthy.

Truth be told, Austin should burn, KOTOR 3 should be made, and... I don't really care what they do with Revan, but Bioware clearly didn't want him to be unambiguously dead, so really, he's probably not actually dead. Malgus, sure, but Revan? It's doubtful.

Definitely second this idea. I for one bought this game for the sole reason as it was said to be Kotor 3,4,5,6,7,8 and beyond. 2 Flashpoints with Revan and the Exile in them is not Kotor 3. Everyone else that bought this game for 50$ when it came out ,who bought it for that reason also ,technically , already paid for Kotor 3 then. I'm not against Swtor , i like it. But i do feel like i got Jipped or bait and switched .

Play Knight, it's basically as close to KOTOR 3 as TOR gets and more than just few Flashpoints. Other class stories have basically nothing to do with KOTORs

There is still so much depth to both stories of the Revanites and Revan. BW will always hold that card and play it when they see fit.

I loved being Revan in Kotor first game that got me into gaming, quite a fond memory of my childhood when I first played Kotor. I would always love to see more of either Revan or the Revanites! who knows it could be on the back of an expansion one day.

• 1 month later...
I would like to see more of the Revanites as an alternative path -- that way you don't have character development that is only fluff (i.e. I can branch out -- not follow the same linear path). I really enjoy the idea of a group that is outside the Jedi and the Sith, a third path if you like...

Well, before exploding he says something like "Now i know how you felt, my friend". If he was reffering to the Exile, this means that he is actually becoming one with the force. So technically he is dead

I'm pretty sure the person he was talking about in that instance was Malak, since they both talk about how alone and dark things seemed at the time of defeat/death.

I personally believe that Revan should be allowed to just stay dead, but the Revanites are an interesting faction in the empire that should be given one more chance at the spotlight.

To further give evidence of the empire's downfall through infighting/civil war, maybe give them a flashpoint. Some of them could have heard rumors of Revan's return and chose to rise up against the empire, led by some guy who could or might not be Revan (most likely a false one). Or maybe he came into contact with some of them and gave them instructions to follow after his death, since he was a strategist who liked to cover all of his bases. Maybe he told them to try and overthrow the Imperial government knowing fully well that they would fail, but hope that they do enough damage to give the republic an advantage.

Pubs could help them get their coup started while Imps could hunt them down and kill them/foil their plans.

I'm pretty sure the person he was talking about in that instance was Malak, since they both talk about how alone and dark things seemed at the time of defeat/death.

I personally believe that Revan should be allowed to just stay dead, but the Revanites are an interesting faction in the empire that should be given one more chance at the spotlight.

To further give evidence of the empire's downfall through infighting/civil war, maybe give them a flashpoint. Some of them could have heard rumors of Revan's return and chose to rise up against the empire, led by some guy who could or might not be Revan (most likely a false one). Or maybe he came into contact with some of them and gave them instructions to follow after his death, since he was a strategist who liked to cover all of his bases. Maybe he told them to try and overthrow the Imperial government knowing fully well that they would fail, but hope that they do enough damage to give the republic an advantage.

Pubs could help them get their coup started while Imps could hunt them down and kill them/foil their plans.

That would completely undermine the current Empire Side story.

I want to see him once again, but definately not in another FP or ops. May be something like Assassin's Creed Embers. Let him do something Yoda-stile, after he was pwned by Palpatin. Go to some distant planet, meditate on the failure, become wise master. And freaken redeem himself again - the way he is corrupted during last fight in Foundry is just stupid.

On Dromand Kass as I'm sure many imperial players are aware there is a clan of Revanites hiding in the forest. After joining the Revanities you are rewarded with a simple title and told you can never return after going through a long set of missions. I think Bioware have missed a large opportunity to explore more about Revan esspically as they invented him in Knights of the Old Rebulic. This could be done for both Repulic and Imperial characters and could involve a lot better rewards and could be a seperate story line along side the main class story. I'm sure more people would love ti see more about Revan and continue in the story after Drummand Kass

Hopeful with enough decision and likes Bioware might act. Please like or leave comment.

Bioware's mistake was making Revan's character canon. IMO, it ruined KOTOR's wonderful experience knowing that my character was meant to be someone else.

Bioware's mistake was making Revan's character canon. IMO, it ruined KOTOR's wonderful experience knowing that my character was meant to be someone else.

LOL, for me it had the opposite effect. It canonized MY version of Revan--

Turned back to the light

Was a dude, and romanced Bastila

I played through this way every time which may seem strange to some. They might ask if you play a game once a year why not change it up?

Well to me that was the brilliance of KOTOR. You had choices and could play the way you wanted to and along the way I created my own "Revan" and that is the way I saw the character in every subsequent playthrough.

Now the downside to this was shortly after being shocked at his inclusion in this game was the disappointment in the way they did it.

Even at the time, the Lightside ending was obviously canon, seeing as the Darkside ending involved the Republic losing the war. It's part of the territory of having something set in the Star Wars universe, sooner or latter, it's going to have to be canonized. I played KOTOR as a dark sider, but even at the time, when I didn't even know about Star Wars Canon, I knew it wasn't the way these events actually transpired. You could make the point that the smaller details were less obvious, but, like I said, sooner or latter the details were going to hammered out.

That said, it shouldn't effect your enjoyment of these games. I enjoy playing my version of these characters, but, at the end of the day, I know that none of these characters are mine, or yours, or any of the players. It shouldn't effect how much you like the game, you still get to play your version of these characters as you see fit.

From the varying replies here it seems clear that Revan is like Marmite...You either love him or hate him! (If your from the states, you may not know what Marmite is...its a yeast extract you eat on toast in the UK).

I think that to cater for both sides of this argument, the solution is simple. Have Revanites elsewhere in the game...if you join them, you get more of a reveal of Revan, if you dont join them, you get the option to weed out the remaining Revanites and wiping all trace of Revan from history.

Everybody happy! :-)

Matt

To those wondering, Theron Shan will be in the flashpoints released later this year. With Revan returning in the last one..So hopefully if Revan doesnt "die" again, we will get to see some family interaction.. Edited by Girdeux

Yeah. I always thought the Bastila romance was a little squicky and incestous, considering her role in rebuilding what was left of Revan into the PC of the first game as well as Bastila's repressive upbringing not making her the most stable choice for a relationship. Hell, even Juhani had more relationship experience. I always played that game as light-side female, and a 50/50 shot if she walked off into the sunset with the nice Cathar gal or the sweet Telosian pilot.

My Exile on the other hand? Completely apathetic rat who was never a good Jedi in the first place and stopped caring after the Mandalorian Wars. Started neutral or a little evil until Korriban, then went off the deep end. Regretted having to kill the Masters, would rather have them revel in their fail. Locked Atris (his ex-girlfriend) in with the holocrons, forced Visas to kill herself, corrupted most of the crew aside from Bao-Dur. He was rather fond of Atton...

I'm very underwhelmed by Revan the Allegedly Canonical. Even more underwhelmed by Exile the Allegedly Canonical. I found the book to be a wall-banger as well. Really, the master strategist walks into that obvious of a trap? No karking backup plan for warning the Republic (not even sending a holocron with T3)? Trusting Scourge? Not trusting the allies who literally went to hell and back? Leaving Bastila knocked up to face Force knows what (Hey, Carth will step up, right?). Canderous being annoyingly passive (sorry about Mrs. Ordo - gotta run!) Exile leaves her students half trained? It's kinda scary when you realize Mical the Disciple or Atton "ex-torturer" Rand would be the best candidates for grandmaster...

And it's all to build up the Villain Sue who is an overpowered wannabe god/bored gamer and hasn't got much else interesting about him. Real disappointment, seeing as the author did a lot better with Bane and Zannah, making them complex and almost sympathetic.

The running joke I use is that Dustil Onasi ripped off his stepmother's ID to become Revan II, and the Emperor was less than amused by the imposter. :p

Edited by Allronix

• 4 weeks later...
On Dromand Kass as I'm sure many imperial players are aware there is a clan of Revanites hiding in the forest. After joining the Revanities you are rewarded with a simple title and told you can never return after going through a long set of missions.t.

i would only go back if only to murder every single last one of them

the cult of Revan needs to be eradicated both in game and out

he was not that interesting to begin with and i really don't get this stupid blind fanboyism about this guy