Please get rid of level scaling.

darksorazz

I clearly stated they "don't get as many" raw stats, not that they didn't get anything aside from more HP.

It's very clear that you don't think there's a problem, and you just want to derail any solutions. You're not here to be constructive, you're here to intentionally misunderstand, and react to those "misunderstandings."

Feel free to put me on ignore. Permanently.

I'm going to be one of many voices making it loud and clear to the devs that eliminating planet sync is not something the masses are screaming for, and that the feature has plenty of advocates. Take that for what you will.

Personally, im saying nothing about how planets or story instances are handled. I think that sync on planets is fine. Sure lots of things story wise are easier now, but thats the price to be paid for relevant heroics, wb, etc. Would bw have included rampages on tattooine or r4-gl as cq objectives if there wasn't a level sync?

My issue is very specifically with endgame. Yes, a level 15 upscaled to 70 in hammer station wasn't like having a real level 70. That problem still exists, however, while there is an additional issue of not having a level 75 endgame. Because endgame consists of old, and now downscaled using the same crap system they use to upscale lowbies i might add, level 70 or below content.

Whatever the opinions are on EV and hammer station still being endgame content, I should hope most of us can see that, if theyre going to keep ev and hammer station (etc) as endgame content, it should be scaled and balanced around an endgame level (and rescaled lowbie to 75, just like they were to 70 in 5.x, and then that particular problem is no worse than it was in 5.x or even now).

Personally my point is simple. Either make a substantial level 75 endgame, or raise the level of old content too. Its a case of you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Take WoW for example, it's the most successful MMO ever. Never introduced forced level scaling

BWAHAHAHAHA!! You obviously were not around for Patch 7.3.5. when WOW basically re-engineered the play through for new toons by introducing level scaling, which made fights boringly long at lower levels...there was huge push back from the player base, so much so that now they are abandoning over 75% of the introductory content and having players level strictly through BFA...and squishing the level down by 50%...we certainly don't want that debacle here!

Which is why I didn't ask for bolster.

ESO handles it pretty easily. Lower level characters don't get as many raw stats as max level characters. Instead, they just get more hit points. There's no schenanigans with it, no rigging the system. At most, the lower level characters get a stat that allows some padding around their mistakes.

I honestly can't stand ESO's scaling and vastly prefer the way this game handles it.

BWAHAHAHAHA!! You obviously were not around for Patch 7.3.5. when WOW basically re-engineered the play through for new toons by introducing level scaling, which made fights boringly long at lower levels...there was huge push back from the player base, so much so that now they are abandoning over 75% of the introductory content and having players level strictly through BFA...and squishing the level down by 50%...we certainly don't want that debacle here!

The scaling is even more obvious with SL's upcoming squish to level 60. Literally every zone can now be done 1-50 with the new expansion being 50-60.

All base stats are boosted on lowbies in eso, and it requires keeping up with gear as you level to keep them that way, and eventually push beyond them. It's incredibly forgiving at low levels and keeps gearing along the way relevant.

There are not many things that I would like to see copied from eso to swtor, but their scaling system is absolutely one of the exceptions, it's as close to perfect as I could imagine a scaling system being.

I've actually just been leveling a toon (level 37 at the moment) and man I feel the exact opposite.

The end result has been that my character feels just about as powerful now as they did when they were level one. Things die just about as fast, I die just about as easily; I have new abilities, but they barely chip away at enemy HP, just the same as they did when I was level 5.

I don't know. Maybe I've messed up.

Edited by jedimasterjac

The only problem I see with level sync is that it makes story content too easy, like the final fight between Baras and SW on Korriban. All that story stuff should be instanced but I guess BW thought that would be too much work smh.

Outside of that I'm suspicious of motives against it. The main reason to abolish it is if you're an OWPVPer that liked ganking lowbies. And yes, they tend to be the same people who want a return to pvp servers. I read through this thread and have yet to see anyone who wants it abolished who has a single good reason to justify doing so. How would it benefit players? IDGAF about your stupid game philosophy, break down the pros or stop crying.

The only problem I see with level sync is that it makes story content too easy, like the final fight between Baras and SW on Korriban. All that story stuff should be instanced but I guess BW thought that would be too much work smh.

Which they could easily adjust imo; just make personal phases scale up to your level, separately from planet scaling.

The problem with level sync is the hard caps. This limits gear choices and progression. Instead they should keep level sync and change it to a divider. By that I mean say you have 100 endurance. They divide that by 5%. This rewards those with better gear while not making certain gear obsolete. Healers can still use healer stims. People can still use the relics they want to use. Instead of being forced to two sets of gear for different levels of content. They could also remove veterans edge from all content as it would be based on your gear once again.

The problem isnt level scaling, its slow development and lack of content. Things become boring faster than they should for an online game. New content needs to be added regularly OR the current setup should be converted to include random spawns and evolving dungeons.

I honestly can't stand ESO's scaling and vastly prefer the way this game handles it.

I've actually just been leveling a toon (level 37 at the moment) and man I feel the exact opposite.

The end result has been that my character feels just about as powerful now as they did when they were level one. Things die just about as fast, I die just about as easily; I have new abilities, but they barely chip away at enemy HP, just the same as they did when I was level 5.

I don't know. Maybe I've messed up.

That's it exactly. If you're not increasing the quality of your gear, you'll feel like the same character with just a few more abilities. You might even feel weaker if you let your gear level slip realitive to your actual level.

When you get to max level, and have gold gear sets and lots of cp, it feels miles ahead of level 1. I kill most mobs with just my gap closer on my stam sorc. I end up soloing vet dungeons where the mechanics allow for one person to complete a boss fight.

I'm of the opinion that the ESO "everything is max level" is the best way to handle things, simply because it makes all content relevant, and disallows anyone trying to cheat the system.

I think this is a double-edged sword. The pros and cons have been mentioned enough already, and if we're honest, there's merits to both sides. Enough that i feel that we should be able to switch scaling on and off.

Obviously, if one switches it off, it would be remiss if the compensations for being scaled down were still in effect. Things like gear drops would have to be according to the NPCs' level, quest reward gear (yes yes, XP and money too - don't be a pedant for the sake of being diagreeable) at the level they were meant for - maybe even non-existant if an un-scaled player was sufficiently over the intended level, and had level-scaling off. A standard warning to alert the player of this when they turn the scaling off would, of course, be needed. And grouping up with scaled players would force scaling as well: no one-shotting content for other players.

There may be other things that would need to be addressed, but there are valid reasons why one would want to take advantage of not being bothered by the local population of angry beings while passing through on account of being of high level, but on a non-permanent basis.

There may be other things that would need to be addressed, but there are valid reasons why one would want to take advantage of not being bothered by the local population of angry beings while passing through on account of being of high level, but on a non-permanent basis.

Valid, completely obvious reasons that I guess we don't need to describe at all, lol.

I was doing the macrobinoculars mission on tat as a 75 pub character. at one point i took a shortcut through an imperial outpost. Figured I'd die but actually survived through comp heals / unity / heroic moment. So what else you got?

The real issue with level-sync is that the mathematics to bolster and sync are all wonky. They try to level-sync and you are still OP. Then they put in hardcaps on some but not all stats. Still doesn't work as intended. Opening planets are still one-shot kills. Bolstering to 75 has never really worked right. And now that I can level my companion up to 50 the math is even worse.

That's it exactly. If you're not increasing the quality of your gear, you'll feel like the same character with just a few more abilities. You might even feel weaker if you let your gear level slip realitive to your actual level.

When you get to max level, and have gold gear sets and lots of cp, it feels miles ahead of level 1. I kill most mobs with just my gap closer on my stam sorc. I end up soloing vet dungeons where the mechanics allow for one person to complete a boss fight.

I'm of the opinion that the ESO "everything is max level" is the best way to handle things, simply because it makes all content relevant, and disallows anyone trying to cheat the system.

I've mostly leveled with a friend who's a totally insane 390cp sorc that is basically invincible? And it's cool watching him, but then if I'm solo it's... miserable?47 now so I'm excited for hitting cap, but it makes the leveling experience itself the least-fun I've gone through since FFXIV. At least this one is fast.

Some people just want to be gods, utterly ****** world bosses.

But here's the thing, over 85% of the game is not actually meant for max levels. So there's an eventual dearth of content when you hit max without the planetary level sync. There was a time we were all just doing circles around the fleet because there was no reason to hit the dozens of planets because they were all capped.

Level scaling was probably the best decision the dev team made and what kept the game alive.

Originally if you went to a planet you were too high for you got 4 experience and drops you had no use for, unless maybe to give them to companions, who at the time had their skill levels determiner by weapons and armor. There are a still a few missions, like first time you meat ship's droid that still don't scale to your level so you can still get almost no experience.

What does that mean? :confused:

In ESO, once you hit level 50 (the max level) you then get "Combat Power," which is sort of like Renown, except you get little stat boosts with each level.

Gear stops scaling at cp160; he's a sorcerer; he's basically built to solo anything without dying, because he's maxed spell crit, and he heals when his spells crit.

The issue with the level scaling is that it isnt really level scaling. its level synching. and the semantics matter, as level scaling would either match level AND abilities to the instance OR the instance to level and abilities. The current system is simply a lazy fix for a VERY REAL issue. It was incredibly boring to one shot random mobs on starter planets, on the other hand it is incredibly boring to die in old FP because some lvl30 noob is bolstered to 70 and thinks that makes them invincible. That is the real issue: either force max level down to match lowlvl planets which would be fine, OR force content up to max level. bolstering lowbies up to max and telling them its cool to run Copero is not. its mean and cruel to everyone.

Also, just for the record, not EVERY WB was soloable in 3.x - looking at you Nightmare Pilgrim...

Edited by Airen_Fett

Because of how bad level scaling is currently, a few issues popped up and still haven't been fixed, and they're pretty severe.

Specs like Carnage Marauders and MM Snipers aren't usually welcome in OPs. They do less damage, because of how poorly balanced the level cap is in terms of white damage vs yellow.

People make weird armor sets to game the system, making OPs and Flashpoint content unintentionally easier than it should be.

All this would be avoided, now and forever, if they just made all the content max level. They clearly don't have the manpower or the math to correctly balance end game content every expansion.

In ESO, once you hit level 50 (the max level) you then get "Combat Power," which is sort of like Renown, except you get little stat boosts with each level.

Gear stops scaling at cp160; he's a sorcerer; he's basically built to solo anything without dying, because he's maxed spell crit, and he heals when his spells crit.

CP actually means Champion Points. It's fine to have your opinion about it, but I don't think you know enough about ESO to talk about it objectively. You earlier said that there wasn't a power increase in levels, and now you're saying your 50th level friend who has half the champion points unlocked is super powerful.

The real problem is you're using a friend as a crutch to help you through the game, instead of learning how it works yourself. Personally, I couldn't imagine having fun leveling a toon in that situation. Do yourself a favor, and have your friend make a new toon to level along side your character.

• 1 month later...

Not saying remove it, we just want it to be optional not forced.

There's nothing wrong with giving players an on off switch for this feature.. I don't wanna feel like the time and effort i put in to gain my power was all for nothing.. Don't y'all know a restraining bolt in the star wars universe is barbaric just for a droid to have and y'all wanna put them on all of us droid or not.

I'm not sure why I'm even typing this lol bioware doesn't care about the player they care about making money and star wars has been a cash cow long enough they could say to hell with it and they wouldn't lose a dime.. I'm on both sides tho, I think it should be in game but I think we should be able to chose, like we choose our class..

There are better ways of level scaling. I'm mainly a fan of the way ESO does it, basically putting everyone at max level stats but don't have the skills. This really doesn't exclude anyone from the content or open-world content regardless of level, think this would give world bosses more activity too.

I think that part of the problem is that they keep raising the level cap just for the sake of raising the level cap.

Maximum level was 50 and now is 75. So they keep making new content that they have to level sync every time the new level cap is there. And there have only been like a couple of skills added and that's it. So they essentially spread the leveling experience out over more levels to reach the same point.

If they'd kept the level 50 cap then all new content would be level 50 and they only need to cap the gear. This is also clear now that they kept the old ops at level 70 suddenly instead of raising them to the new level cap.

And the leveling just gets more of a drag each time they add a new level cap. So I don't really see the value of it. So looking forward I wish they would just stop raising the level cap and things will be a lot easier for them as well.