Low fps, gpu or cpu related?

Heppuli

So, as the title says, I got a problem with my fps. Specs are as follows; AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.04Ghz, 8G DDR2 ram, ATI Radeon HD 4890 1G OC, Win 7 64 home premium(?). As you can see, the computer is old. Still, everywhere I've read it says that a quadcore processor at/over 3Ghz should have no problems playing this game. Also, benchmarking tests show that ati 5770 should be capable of keeping fps over 30 with high graphics and some AA. and 4890 is somewhat better than 5770.

As it stands, my fps is fine when outdoors and alone. Questing and leveling is fairly good. But, when I go to the fleet or play warzones, it drops to 15-20. In fact, when in combat fps is always under 30.. charging with marauder isn't smooth, it glitches annoyingly. Lowering graph settings has NO increase in fps, and this bugs me the most. Shouldn't my specs at least be able to put 60fps with very low graphs, when various sites state that high graphs are possible with the hardware.

I've tried swtor unleashed to no use, my aero disables when I go play the game, and I've tried every setting option available... Any ideas why the game doesn't run smooth when it should, or is the hardware just too old?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I think this games Engine uses more for the CPU than than the GPU/GPUs, any1 plz correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm inetrested in what kind of CPU you have, how old and what Internet provider to.

I do know from most ppl telling, is that it isn't usually ppls GPUs, but the EA servers that are used to run the game, so if ur on Fleet it doesn't matter how good ur card is because the EA servers are the problem. For me I have 2 Nividia 680s and I can get over 100fps if I boosted my GPUs, but I don't need it really. 1 guys with the 680s from Nvidia gets over 111fps, which can be overkill, but ppl have their wants and desires. Me I also have and Intel 2770 OC Ivy Bridge.

If I want to I can boost up my CPU, but I really don't need to. Have u gotten ur latest GPU and Motherboard drivers.??

P.S. Btw ur card should be able to handle 60fps okay, unless u have a lot of background programs going at once, or even maybe not enough Memory. Don't know how much Memory u have though.

Edited by MandFlurry

Okay, I think this games Engine uses more for the CPU than than the GPU/GPUs, any1 plz correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm inetrested in what kind of CPU you have, how old and what Internet provider to.

I do know from most ppl telling, is that it isn't usually ppls GPUs, but the EA servers that are used to run the game, so if ur on Fleet it doesn't matter how good ur card is because the EA servers are the problem. For me I have 2 Nividia 680s and I can get over 100fps if I boosted my GPUs, but I don't need it really. 1 guys with the 680s from Nvidia gets over 111fps, which can be overkill, but ppl have their wants and desires. Me I also have and Intel 2770 OC Ivy Bridge.

If I want to I can boost up my CPU, but I really don't need to. Have u gotten ur latest GPU and Motherboard drivers.??

P.S. Btw ur card should be able to handle 60fps okay, unless u have a lot of background programs going at once, or even maybe not enough Memory. Don't know how much Memory u have though.

He listed explicitly what components he has...

Anyway, it's more a case of everything being a little long in the tooth. From having owned a similar spec system myself several years ago, everything in that system is quite well matched to everything else. Upgrading one component and leaving the others alone will likely provide a marginal benefit to your performance at best. Having said that, your GPU is probably the most likely candidate for upgrade if you were to pick one component to improve on.

Also, you can try lowering your in game settings to make warzones and operations flow a bit more fluidly or you can try squeeze some more performance out of your system by overclocking various components. The Phenom is a wonderful chip for overclocking and I was able to get my old 965 BE to over 4GHz on air cooling but do your research on how to do this safely and know that you could be causing permanent damage to your computer if you get it wrong.

He listed explicitly what components he has...

1. Also, you can try lowering your in game settings to make warzones and operations flow a bit more fluidly

2. or you can try squeeze some more performance out of your system by overclocking various components. The Phenom is a wonderful chip for overclocking and I was able to get my old 965 BE to over 4GHz on air cooling but do your research on how to do this safely and know that you could be causing permanent damage to your computer if you get it wrong.

1.That's the problem; there's almost no difference in fps when I go from low to high. I am keeping blur and shadows already off and those should be the major draws for GPU..

2. Been thinking this aswell, but the thing is that the CPU us black edition, meaning it's already clocked to some degree, above the average clocks. So should be enough on that part.

First I just want to know if there's some setting that I can change for the fps to get better. If the hardware is the problem, then I deal with that and wait for a possibility to buy a new computer. Just can't understand why my specs can't deal with the game when many say it should.

While the above poster is correct, in that you're running a bit short in a number of categories, we can diagnose the most critical issue just by looking at the symptoms: Fleet was designed as a graphically easy environment. It's far less demanding than places like Alderaan or Voss with their tress, grass, and more complex geometry. What the Fleet does have that those planets don't is loads of extra game characters.

So, if you're having framerate issues on the Fleet, the component being stressed is most likely your CPU, as it has to continuously recalculate the position, animation, and character data of all the players in the area. Yes, its a quad core at 3GHz, but that isn't so far above the minimums, as there is no large benefit to a quad core over a dual core (in this game). The issue is the 3GHz speed, and the fact that AMD's processors of that generation weren't close to the performance of similar Intel chips. That 3GHz chip is probably performing as well as a 2.4GHz Intel chip released at the same time. The comparison isn't that simple, but it's a rough estimate.

There are some things you can do to make it easier on your CPU. Turning off nameplates or reducing various draw distances can help, but I don't know how much.

And it has nothing to do with your internet connection. SWTOR uses less than 1Mb/s. I don't know why people keep suggesting that. Well, I do know why, but it makes me sad, so I try not to think about it.

Thanks for the info Malastare. That's really sad if the CPU is as bad as you're saying.. but I've thought about the idea that the game can't properly use all 4 cores, because they aren't at 100% capacity while I play, even at fleet. I remember toying with nameplates when the game was new, and if I remember correctly it had no effect. But I will try again. Is there any other way other than clocking the CPU to make it more effective? Anything I can do in BIOS perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

So, as the title says, I got a problem with my fps. Specs are as follows; AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.04Ghz, 8G DDR2 ram, ATI Radeon HD 4890 1G OC, Win 7 64 home premium(?). As you can see, the computer is old. Still, everywhere I've read it says that a quadcore processor at/over 3Ghz should have no problems playing this game. Also, benchmarking tests show that ati 5770 should be capable of keeping fps over 30 with high graphics and some AA. and 4890 is somewhat better than 5770.

As it stands, my fps is fine when outdoors and alone. Questing and leveling is fairly good. But, when I go to the fleet or play warzones, it drops to 15-20. In fact, when in combat fps is always under 30.. charging with marauder isn't smooth, it glitches annoyingly. Lowering graph settings has NO increase in fps, and this bugs me the most. Shouldn't my specs at least be able to put 60fps with very low graphs, when various sites state that high graphs are possible with the hardware.

I've tried swtor unleashed to no use, my aero disables when I go play the game, and I've tried every setting option available... Any ideas why the game doesn't run smooth when it should, or is the hardware just too old?

Thanks in advance.

Let me tell you a story about a game that was doing well in Beta, but then zipped files and killed it's own engine, condemning everyone on the village to work x3 for the rest of their lives....

Edited by Osoygatitalove

I have the same issue. My game runs a bit better on high than low settings, but I always keep Shaders and Shadows on low,off respectively.

My laptop runs all the other games well, but ToR is a pain in the A. And it's no "Witcher 2", is it? It's a game with mediocre unoptimized graphic engine which is pretty much a joke for a game that costed so much money.

Anyway... I've already been told that my CPU is the issue for ToR, but I don't think I am going to upgrade it JUST for ToR when I can run other games just fine.

i5 M430 - 2.27GHz

Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5870

8 Gig of RAM

Couldn't Bioware just reduce the CPU load of this game? Of course they could, but whatever. The fact that they chose one of the worst Graphic Engines for one of the most expensive games in history is pretty much a joke to me.

Obvious ones , windows power management to "high performance" and try the settings here - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=667864&page=2

Install the directx redist , only version with the dx9 files needed - http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Can start with the below settings for the client_settings.ini file in the spoiler, see if it affects FPS majorly and then start raising one setting at a time

D3DFullScreen = true

EnableBloom = false

RefreshRate = 60

TextureQuality = 0

UseMinSpecShaders = true

VerticalSyncState = false

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

doShadows = false

doBlobShadows = false

PlantDensity = 0

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 0.75

FullScreen = true

FarClipScale = 0.1371195

AntiAliasingLevel = 0

enableadvenvirolighting = false

DebugAdvEnviroLighting = false

TextureAnisotropy = 0

MeshLODQuality = 0

DynamicLightsLimit = 0

Edited by OwenBrooks

Evening.

It seems Owen's information helped me :)! I downloaded and istalled directX from the link, and did the profile to CCC as instructed in the other thread. I tweaked it some because the settings in the thread were meant for a high-end computer.(lowered AA and kept shadows off) Now I seem to have 5-10 more fps than I used, and fleet is a much better place now. I played for couple of hours and fps was about 30 or more. For warzones 4v4 worked well, haven't tested 8v8. Also no problem with fp's.

I also thought up one reason why the game is heavier for me than it probably should be; I've got a 24" benq with 1920x1080 resolution, so it may be a bit tough for my 4800 series gfx. But alas, things are better now, and I may try to tweak them a little bit more. Lets hope things stay better... :D

So it seems I was happy too early.

I logged in today, and noticed that yesterdays smoothness was gone. Although the fps was manageable, there seemed to be like nanosecond freezes now and then.. can't describe it any better. I looked up resource management, and noticed that one out of four of m processor cores was doing more work than the rest. Processor usage is at 50% usually, but still one core does more work than the rest. How's that possible? And why this didn't happen yesterday, but today. I didn't change anything...

I got couple of pictures so you can see what I mean;

http://i.imgur.com/WGgAUzF.png

http://i.imgur.com/zhQ4hnz.png

http://i.imgur.com/jekeycz.jpg <--- This I took from my keyboard, and that's how it usually shows the cores. The first is always closer to max than the others.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I have the same issue. My game runs a bit better on high than low settings, but I always keep Shaders and Shadows on low,off respectively.

My laptop runs all the other games well, but ToR is a pain in the A. And it's no "Witcher 2", is it? It's a game with mediocre unoptimized graphic engine which is pretty much a joke for a game that costed so much money.

Anyway... I've already been told that my CPU is the issue for ToR, but I don't think I am going to upgrade it JUST for ToR when I can run other games just fine.

i5 M430 - 2.27GHz

Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5870

8 Gig of RAM

Couldn't Bioware just reduce the CPU load of this game? Of course they could, but whatever. The fact that they chose one of the worst Graphic Engines for one of the most expensive games in history is pretty much a joke to me.

It's like pirate's of the caribbean with high school drama students.

• 1 month later...

System specs:

AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core Processer 3.8 Ghz

8 GB RAM

Windows 8

MSI HD Radeon 7750 2 GB

Should I be able to play on full settings?

Also with this setup what would be the first thing to upgrade?

The reason I ask is because I get low fps with shadows on which I understand a lot of people have problems with but from my beginners understanding of computers I thought this PC would have no problem.

Intel Core Duo 3.00GHz

1GB ATI Radeon HD5770

4Gb RAM

I run the game on max settings, minus having shadows on low or off, game runs smooth and perfect for me, I don't care for FPS as I know mine would be terrible so I never look.. aslong as the game runs smoothly and graphics are great I don't care :-)

New systems that's coming though is:

Intel Core i5 Quad Core i5-4570 3.2GHz

2GB AMD RADEON HD7850

8GB RAM (DDR3/4)

So If I can play max setting now without problems.. my new system will be a walk in the park I think

Edited by dacentabaal

System specs:

AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core Processer 3.8 Ghz

8 GB RAM

Windows 8

MSI HD Radeon 7750 2 GB

Should I be able to play on full settings?

Also with this setup what would be the first thing to upgrade?

The reason I ask is because I get low fps with shadows on which I understand a lot of people have problems with but from my beginners understanding of computers I thought this PC would have no problem.

Also my PSU is only 300 w, would that make a difference in performance?

Use SWTOR Unleashed. It works wonders for fleet.

I found that the problem with stuttering is caused by loading in game FX on the fly when they should be in RAM for best performance. This can only be acheived with SWTOR:Unleashed.

Try it.

Thanks in advance.

Just looking at your specs alone, I think I see ONE major issue. That memory your rig is using: 8 GB DDR2. That's pretty slow by today's standards. 4GB alone is required for 64 bit Windows 7, such as you currently have. Add in the 2 GB(minimum required for the game) and there isnt much room to maneuver. Check to see if your mobo supports DDR3 because DDR2 is kinda old.

Your memory does appear to be the culprit, but I do have a question, is this a laptop, or a desktop?

Edited by DarknessInLight