Afterimages: Reign of Night

Vesaniae

Because I felt like it, and because you all made me do it. :D

This is a spinoff of my main fanfic, "Afterimages." It focuses on the time period between the second and third arcs of that story, and stars the lovely and diabolical Darth Nox. This thread will contain spoilers for both "Afterimages" and the Sith Inquisitor storyline. Expect occasional cameos from the Warrior as well.

Edit: If this sounds interesting, I highly suggest reading "Afterimages" first. This will dive straight into plot without any exposition, and will contain spoilers for that story.

This is primarily comedic in nature, as Nox seems to have a peculiar talent for making any scene that involves her funny. This is not a romance, dammit, but I will gladly add fuel to the fires of shipping. However, I don't want to rehash the same Nox/Ravage bickering over and over again, so other stuff is going to happen too. Shenanigans!

Okay, enough introductions! On with the story! :D

1. In Which Nox Attempts to Get Some Culture

Kaas City, Dromund Kaas

15 ATC

It was nearing closing time at the museum. Darth Nox was alone as she wandered through the cavernous halls, pausing occasionally to examine one of the displays.

The museum had opened a few months ago, and was dedicated to the Jedi Civil War. That area of history held no special interest for Nox, but she had decided to finally go and see what was there, if only so that A’tro would stop pestering her.

She had to admit that it was rather nice, as far as museums went. Well-organized, interesting displays… The information was horribly biased, of course, but picking out the inaccuracies was half the fun. She leaned over an exhibit featuring a scale replica of the Endar Spire.

“Not half bad,” she commented to herself. “Much more impressive in person, of course, but they’ve got the details right.”

“I didn’t think history was your thing, Nox,” said a voice from behind her.

“I could say the same for you, Ravage,” Nox replied without turning around.

“I, unlike you, am a well-educated individual.”

“You’d be surprised by my level of education.”

“Yes, no doubt there’s even less than I would have expected. Frankly, I’m surprised you’re even literate.”

“You’re going to try a little harder than that to get under my skin,” Nox said cheerfully.

“The only thing I want to go through your skin is my lightsaber.”

“If we’re going to fight, would you mind waiting until we get outside? The Wrath will have fits if we wreck this place.”

“Actually, I only came here to look at the museum.”

Nox finally turned to face him. “Because you’re interested, or because you knew I’d be here?” she asked coyly.

Ravage rolled his eyes. “Hard as this may be to believe, the galaxy does not revolve around you.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t know about that,” Nox said. “Why else do you keep popping up wherever I happen to be?”

“Coincidence,” Ravage said with dignity.

“It had better be,” Nox muttered. “As flattered as I am by the thought of having a stalker, I generally give those to Khem.”

“And where is your monster tonight?” Ravage asked, looking around.

Nox smirked at him. “Afraid he’ll come after you? No need to fret—he’s back at my chambers in the Citadel.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“I only expend the effort of lying on people whose opinions actually matter to me.”

“You should be a little more respectful to someone who could kill you as easily as breathing,” Ravage warned.

Nox raised an eyebrow. “Didn’t you try that once? Remind me how that worked out for you, again?”

Ravage took a step forward. “You don’t have your Dashade to hide behind this time.”

“I thought you didn’t believe me when I said he wasn’t here.”

“I believe a great many things.”

“That’s a stupid answer,” Nox informed him.

Ravage smiled and reached for his lightsabers.

“Ah ah ah,” Nox said, holding up a hand. “Outside, if you please. I don’t know about you, but I sure as hell don’t want the Wrath after me for demolishing her new favorite museum.”

“Of course,” Ravage murmured. He gestured towards the nearest exit. “You first.”

“What, so you can stab me in the back?” Nox scoffed. “Not going to happen.”

“All right,” Ravage said. “Look, I’m not really in the mood for a fight to the death tonight. Why don’t we part ways and pretend this never happened?”

“Suits me,” Nox said. She pointed down one hall. “I’m going this way.”

“Then I’m going that way,” Ravage said, and headed in the opposite direction.

Nox shook her head. That was a surprisingly civilized discussion. It’s not like Ravage to just walk away like that. I’m not sure what to make of it.Well, if he thinks I’ll let my guard down because he pretends to be polite this one time, he’s gravely mistaken.

She resumed her study of the exhibit.

Short first chapter, I know. Don't worry, there will be more. This isn't an intricately plotted arc like "Afterimages", but I do have an outline to keep track of my ideas. :)

Edited by Vesaniae

I demand a masquerade!

Whatever for?

Covered faces, disguised voices, and the potential for some rival bonding.

You're not going to let go of this Ravage/Nox thing are you?

No, especially after kabe made that drawing. Sorry, I must have more.

You're a strange one.

Yes, yes I am.

Two quick announcements before this chapter.

First: I have decided that for maximum hilarity I will use my working titles as actual chapter titles. These tend to break the fourth wall and give a summary that has very little to do with the events of the chapter. Enjoy.

Second: This is not a Nox/Ravage fic. This is a fic of Nox being zany and doing various wacky stuff with occasional bickering between those two. I'm going to prolong the agony for as long as possible. ;)

And here's the next chapter! :D

2. In Which I Add Fuel to the Fire (No, Not That One)

Kaas City Spaceport, Dromund Kaas

15 ATC

Nox never ceased to be amused by the way in which Talos Drellik seemed to have converted the Fata Morgana’s cargo hold into an archaeological workshop. Picking up her skirts, she carefully navigated the chaos until she found Talos in his usual spot in the eye of the hurricane.

Unsurprisingly, he was absorbed in some engraved bit of rock, and was completely unaware of her presence. Nox plopped herself down on an unoccupied crate beside him and rested her feet on the crate in front of her, deliberately arranging her skirt to show an amount of leg that pushed the bounds of indecency according to the standards of most sane people.

Nox was not sane people.

Besides, desperate times called for desperate measures. She quickly removed her hair from its tie and let the glossy black waves settle around her shoulders, then leaned back and waited for Talos to notice her.

And waited, and waited… Coughing loudly had no effect; neither did drumming her heels against the crate. Finally, she leaned over and tapped Talos on the shoulder.

He jumped in surprise. “Oh! Lord Vesania! I didn’t see you there.”

Nox’s crew had ‘real-name privileges’, but after three years of going by Nox it always gave her a start to hear herself called something else.

“Hello, Talos,” she said. She gestured to the whatever-the-hell-it-is that he’d been looking at. “How goes it?”

“Very well,” he answered happily. “I’ve been looking at this specimen for a while now, and there’s definitely a connection between this one and what I saw on Korriban…”

He proceeded to explain for several minutes. Nox leaned towards him, wishing that she was wearing something low-cut. Most of her attention, however, remained on what he was saying. Normally, archaeology held no interest for her whatsoever, but Talos always managed to make such things sound interesting.

“…and I must thank you again for taking me to Korriban last year,” Talos finished. “It was the opportunity of a lifetime! I could spend the next ten years working with what I found there.”

Nox smiled. “Anything you want,” she said, putting a deliberate emphasis on the first word.

Talos looked at her with a frown, the fog of academia temporarily clearing from his eyes. “An—anything, my lord?” he faltered. “I…I’m not sure what you mean…”

Nox slid off the crate and stood in front of him. She was a few inches taller than he was, and he had to look up at her. “It can mean whatever you want it to mean,” she said softly. “Just know that my resources are at your disposal. As am I.”

“That’s…very kind of you,” Talos said uncertainly.

Nox bowed formally. “It’s no trouble.” She gave him her most charming smile. “Just doing my part to support the Empire’s best archaeologist.”

Talos blushed adorably. “I don’t know about the best, but I’m truly flattered—“

“You’re the best,” Nox insisted. “You’ve been incredibly helpful to me.”

“I’m happy to be of assistance, my lord.”

“Oh, drop the title and call me Nox. Or Vesania, or—whatever.”

“I don’t think it would be a good idea to call a Sith Lord ‘whatever’,” Talos said, smiling faintly.

Nox laughed. “In all seriousness, I would like it if you used my name.”

“May I ask why, exactly?”

“I like to be informal with my crew. You certainly don’t see Andronikos bowing and scrap ing to me.”

“He’s a pirate,” Talos pointed out. “I think a certain disregard for authority is a prerequisite for that profession.”

“A professional pirate,” Nox mused. “I like the sound of that. And what about you, my astute archaeologist? How’s your regard for authority?”

Talos shrugged. “You dig around Sith ruins for a few decades, you learn to respect the ones who built them.”

“Well, I haven’t built any ruins, although I have put a few structures in that state, so there’s no need to be all formal with me,” Nox said teasingly.

“I’ll, um, think about it,” Talos said tentatively. “If you want.”

Nox smiled brightly. “I do!” She looked around the room. “I’ll just leave you to it, then.” She exited the room with as much dignity as possible. That conversation had certainly gotten away from her. She wasn’t sure how that had happened.

Sometimes she wondered why she even bothered with Talos. She supposed she liked the idea of a challenge—after more than four years, he still remained utterly oblivious to her advances. On the other hand, he was undeniably adorable, but was he really worth the effort?

It was something to think about. Nox sighed to herself as she walked towards her quarters. Was a man who was actually receptive to her charms too much to ask for?

It's been a while since I actually interacted with Talos, so his characterization may be a bit off. I might have to do some YouTube research. Note that he is the one person in the galaxy who Nox is actually nice to, because he's so freaking cute how can you not be nice to him? :D I have spent many a time raging over the fact that we cannot romance him in the game. I want an adorable nerdy LI, dammit!

Although I admit, I was slightly alarmed by Talos' recruitment... He shows up at your ship as you're leaving Hoth, offers some vague excuse for wanting to come with you, then practically throws himself at your feet and makes an eloquent argument for why exactly you should want him in your party. Sound familiar? :eek:

Edited by Vesaniae

Two quick announcements before this chapter.

Second: This is not a Nox/Ravage fic. This is a fic of Nox being zany and doing various wacky stuff with occasional bickering between those two. I'm going to prolong the agony for as long as possible. ;)

And here's the next chapter! :D

*throws computer into the wall*

That was a gross overstatement to your actual reaction.

You ruin all things.

I thought I ruined all things?

Every iteration of you ruins all things. Better?

Not... entirely...

Meh. Anyway, I'm fine with this not being a Ravage/Nox romance. Actually, I'm moooore than fine with it. I've had enough romances (I'm even writing some), I want zany! I want adventure! I want Sith debauchery!

I don't think there can be much mention of debauchery here.

It can be hinted at. Anyway, write the story you want and I will gobble it right up because I love your stuff.

So she's not taking requests?

NO NOX/THAERA.

That just isn't fair...

Suck it up! Anyway, keep writing and I'll keep reading because I am a slave to reading this sub-forum... braaaaaains... I mean fiiiiic...

Edited by irishfino

It can be hinted at. Anyway, write the story you want and I will gobble it right up because I love your stuff.

<3 :D

I am a slave to reading this sub-forum... braaaaaains... I mean fiiiiic...

Tell me about it... I check this forum about every 10 minutes when I'm at my computer. I have no life. :rolleyes:

Ravage/Talos? No? Umm nevermind I'll just shut up now except to say that I LOVE THIS THREAD.

1) Glad you like! :D

2) :eek:

Ravage/Marr?

That...I could get behind.

How about Ravage/anyone but me?

Shush, no one cares.

:(

Talos/Quinn?

QUINN IS MINE AND I WILL FORCE CRUSH ANYONE WHO DARES TO EVEN THINK OTHERWISE.

Deep breaths, A'tro. Deep breaths.

Khem/Qyzen slashfic?

:eek:

So I had a semi plot idea for this thread, but then I decided, screw it. This is going to be an exercise in spontaneity. I've got three years worth of time to play with. Anything could happen. Which means...

I'm taking suggestions. :)

So she's not taking requests?

NO NOX/THAERA.

What fino said. :p

Edited by Vesaniae

This one is based loosely on an experience I had this morning.

3. In Which Art Imitates Life

Kaas City, Dromund Kaas

15 ATC

Nox woke up early, as usual. She slid out of bed—of which she had been unfortunately the sole occupant—put on one of her white robes, and was running a brush through her hair when she noticed a flicker of motion out of the corner of her eye. She turned to see a small shape moving across the nearest wall.

Closer inspection revealed the shape to be a rather large and unpleasant-looking arachnid. Nox grimaced disgustedly. She wasn’t afraid of spiders, but she certainly didn’t want one sharing her living space. She was about to send a small bolt of lightning in its direction when she stopped, looking carefully at the creature.

Something seemed…off. She leaned closer.

The spider was making tiny clicking sounds as it crawled across the wall. Nox had been in close proximity to a wide variety of such vermin in her day, and they were all completely silent in their motions.

She reached out with the Force and plucked the spider off the wall. Grabbing it out of the air, she examined it closely.

It was not, in fact, a spider. It was a very small, very cleverly crafted droid. She turned it over in her hand. There was a button on its underside. Curiously, she pushed it. The droid’s photoreceptors glowed brightly for a moment, then a small hologram appeared.

“Hello, Nox,” Ravage said. “If you’re receiving this, then you’re more ingenious than I gave you credit for.” He smiled deviously. “You may be interested to know that this device will explode after twenty seconds of continuous motionlessness.”

Nox swore under her breath. She tossed the droid out the nearest window, which fortunately happened to be open. A few moments later, a small explosion blossomed in mid-air.

“Clever bastard,” she muttered. “Good thing I didn’t smash it.”

She shook her head. Ravage must be getting desperate if he was resorting to such overly complicated measures to have her killed. Then again, that was not necessarily a bad thing.

I hate spiders.

QUINN IS MINE AND I WILL FORCE CRUSH ANYONE WHO DARES TO EVEN THINK OTHERWISE.

Deep breaths, A'tro. Deep breaths.

Oh, I'm all yours lady.

Different Quinn.

Oh, come on, we're a match made in the Dark Temple! We even write in the same color. Do a crossover.

I would gladly loan you out to other writers, but for fear of you wreaking havoc across multiple Galaxies.

When are you going to write about my awesome adventures?

Stop pestering me. I'll get back to it. The idea fountain dried up.

I can fill it with blood.

That is disgusting. You disgust me.

You say that now, but I can show you the world.

The World of Murder was a horrible themepark ride.

I rather liked it.

You would.

I'm taking suggestions. :)

Masqueraaaaaaade!

What about -

No.

What fino said. :p

Damn you both!

Edited by irishfino

I hate spiders.

I have a very strict rule that I keep telling all the insects and arachnids that enter my domain. Stay outside. If you're outside, you get to live. If you're inside, you die. It's a very very simple rule. I wish more of them got it :(

Uhhh...suggestions...let's see:

I do like the idea of a masquerade.

Does Nox have a pet? I suddenly have images of something fluffy and yappy.

Unnecessary laborers. Sweaty, muscular laborers who are moving something she could hande on her own. But that's completely besides the point of having them there.

Sappy movies for crying or mocking purposes.

Someone recushioned the Dark Council chairs.

Feel free to use or disregard totally :)

I have a very strict rule that I keep telling all the insects and arachnids that enter my domain. Stay outside. If you're outside, you get to live. If you're inside, you die. It's a very very simple rule. I wish more of them got it :(

Unnecessary laborers. Sweaty, muscular laborers who are moving something she could hande on her own. But that's completely besides the point of having them there.

I tell spiders if they're inside, as long as they stay out of my reach, they can live. As soon as they drop from the ceiling, it's shoe time.

Also, I second sexy, sweaty eye candy. Bonus points if Quinn is somehow roped into helping. Teeheee.

EDIT: Or Ravage loses a bet and has to help her rearrange her office! *snickers*

Edited by irishfino

Oh, I'm all yours lady.

Different Quinn.

Oh, come on, we're a match made in the Dark Temple! We even write in the same color. Do a crossover.

I would gladly loan you out to other writers, but for fear of you wreaking havoc across multiple Galaxies.

I have been thinking that it would be really cool if we, the writers of this subforum, all collaborated to make one giant story where all of our universes collide... That would be awesome. Or horrifying. Or both. :D

Seriously, what if we put all the Warriors and all the Quinns in a room together? The universe would implode! That would be cool, right? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas! :) Some of these I can definitely work with, although they might not come out quite the way you were expecting... ;)

I have been thinking that it would be really cool if we, the writers of this subforum, all collaborated to make one giant story where all of our universes collide... That would be awesome. Or horrifying. Or both. :D

Seriously, what if we put all the Warriors and all the Quinns in a room together? The universe would implode! That would be cool, right? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas! :) Some of these I can definitely work with, although they might not come out quite the way you were expecting... ;)

I've always wanted to tackle a story where the various classes meet their copies, lol. I mean, there's like 900 Quinns on fleet in different stages of his story. Can one Quinn tell the other Quinn not to be a backstabbing buttface? THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES. THEY ARE ENDLESS.

So for this entry, instead of writing something new, I just made a few changes to something I already had written from a few months ago. I had to cut some parts that contradicted "Afterimages" canon, but I think what's left is decent.

4. In Which I Refurbish Old Material Because I’m Too Lazy to Write Anything New

Dromund Kaas

15 ATC

Darth Nox loved parties.

So many people crowded together, pulsing with emotion, the lights of their lives blazing in the back of her mind. It was glorious. She stood in a corner, in the shadows, and let the sensations wash over her—sight, sound, Force. She leaned back against the wall, let her eyelids drift partway closed, and drank it in like water.

“I thought I’d find you here,” said a familiar voice from beside her.

Nox whirled around, one hand going to her lightsaber.

The speaker was, as she had expected from the voice, a short Sith Pureblood woman dressed in regal black armor. “Oh, calm down, Nox,” she said irritably.

“Darth A’tro,” Nox said coolly, inclining her head. She paused for a moment, then gave the woman an incredulous look. “Where the hell have you been?” she all but shrieked.

The Emperor’s Wrath rolled her eyes. “That is none of your damn business.”

“You’ve been gone for more than six months!”

“Some missions take time.”

“Sure they do,” Nox said skeptically. “How did you sneak up on me, anyway? I’ve been watching the door.”

“There is a back door, you know.”

Nox smacked a hand against her forehead. “Damn! Of course there is! Some assassin I am.”

“Oh, get over yourself,” A’tro said amusedly. She looked around. “How’s the party?”

“Decent, I suppose. I’ve been to more exciting occasions. Remember last year’s Sacking party, when Lord Taodren started a duel with what’s-his-name, that friend of yours?”

“Lord Savadar,” A’tro answered. “And it wasn’t much of a duel.”

“Maybe not, but at least it was interesting.” Nox thought for a moment. “You were at the one two years ago, right? Remember when some apprentice started a riot?”

“I was there; I did not participate.” A’tro gave Nox a pointed look. “Unlike some people.”

“’Some people’ don’t consider themselves above fun,” Nox said indignantly.

“I am the Emperor’s Wrath,” A’tro said with great dignity. “My personal amusement is secondary to the well-being of the Empire.”

“The sad thing is, I know you well enough to know that you’re not joking,” Nox muttered.

“We’re at war. Someone has to take it seriously.”

“Yet here you are at a party.”

“I have nothing against parties.”

“You’re awfully cheerful tonight,” Nox observed abruptly.

A’tro quirked one of her forehead ridges upward in an expression equivalent to a human’s raised eyebrow. “What gave you that impression?”

“You’re smiling,” Nox said in tones of mingled awe and horror. “And you have this strange glow around you…dark blood of the Emperor, you’re pregnant, aren’t you.”

The Wrath’s golden eyes widened. “What? No!

“No, of course not, how silly of me,” Nox said thoughtfully. “But that is a logical explanation for your absence. I won’t tell anyone, of course.”

“How you came to that conclusion is utterly beyond me.”

“I know how you Purebloods are about continuing the family lines.”

“Why does everyone assume that?” A’tro wondered. “I have a war to fight and an Empire to maintain. I don’t have time for that kind of nonsense.”

“I can see through your lies, my dear,” Nox said mildly.

“If I ever have children, which I assure you is not going to happen, I’ll be sure to name them all after you,” A’tro said sarcastically. “I’ll have three—Paranoia, Insanity, and Delusion.”

“You left out Lethal and Stunningly Beautiful,” Nox informed her. “And trying to distract me isn’t going to work.”

A’tro sighed heavily. “Allow me to make myself perfectly clear: Did not happen. Will not. Ever. Happen.”

“Whatever you say,” Nox smirked. “Congratulations anyway.”

“You’re insane.”

“So I’ve been told.”

Since this story is part of the Sunsetverse, a.k.a. the Afterimages universe, in this universe Nox's assumptions are incorrect. In another universe, however... The possibilities are infinite! :D

5. In Which Nox and Ravage Discuss Srs Bsns

Kaas City, Dromund Kaas

15 ATC

“You’re being completely unreasonable,” Ravage said flatly.

“I think it’s a perfectly logical request,” Nox retorted. “It’s not as if it would be that difficult for you.”

“It’s the principle of the thing, though.”

“Nonsense. It’s what you deserve for having such low standards.”

“It’s not my fault it didn’t work.”

Nox rolled her eyes. “Please. Admit it, you’re not even trying anymore.”

“Believe me,” Ravage said through gritted teeth, “I am doing the best that I can.”

“Then you’ll just have to step up your game,” Nox said sweetly. “Because I’m getting bored.”

“That can be arranged,” Ravage said ominously.

Nox clapped her hands excitedly. “Wonderful! I can’t wait. Now, about settling up…”

Ravage glared at her. “You’re being petty.”

“I’m a Sith. Aren’t we all?”

“This is different,” Ravage insisted.

“I really don’t see how that is. It’s a completely reasonable arrangement.”

“For you, maybe. But not for me.”

Nox sighed. “Your last assassin destroyed my sofa and I want you to pay for a new one. What’s so horrible about that?”

“Such a concession is beneath me,” Ravage said with dignity.

“And I’d like my sofa to be beneath me, but it’s broken.” Nox pouted at him. “And it’s all your fault.”

“If the assassin was so utterly incompetent that he succeeded only in dispatching inanimate objects rather than his quarry, I hardly see how I am to blame.”

“You sent him!” Nox said indignantly. “For all I know, you expressly ordered him to ruin my furniture.” The pout returned with greater force. “I liked that sofa.”

“I assure you, when I dispatched that assassin, the only thing on my mind was your demise,” Ravage said.

Nox put her hands on her hips. “Well, you’ll have to settle for my sofa’s demise—and by settle, I mean buy me a new one.”

Ravage looked skeptical. “And why in the galaxy would I do that?”

Nox smiled evilly. “Next time you send Lord Enadya over here, I might not let her leave in one piece. Or at all.”

Ravage shrugged. “Do as you like; I have apprentices to spare.”

“I know she’s your favorite, Ravage,” Nox purred. “I know you use her skills for all kinds of things...”

“I fail to see how that is relevant,” Ravage said flatly.

“Now, now,” Nox said sternly. “You know you’d miss Enadya if she was gone. It would be a pity if something happened to her—say, if she ran afoul of a hungry Dashade. She wouldn’t be so pretty when he was done with her. Not that there would be much left to look at.” She pursed her lips thoughtfully. “Now, wherever might she run across one of those?”

“Fine,” Ravage snapped. “I’ll buy your damn sofa. Just keep your monster away from my apprentices.”

Nox laughed. “I knew you were a reasonable man, Ravage. I’ll send you the bill as soon as I get to Ai’kya.”

“And I’d like my sofa to be beneath me, but it’s broken.” Nox pouted at him. “And it’s all your fault.”

“If the assassin was so utterly incompetent that he succeeded only in dispatching inanimate objects rather than his quarry, I hardly see how I am to blame.”

“You sent him!” Nox said indignantly. “For all I know, you expressly ordered him to ruin my furniture.” The pout returned with greater force. “I liked that sofa.”

“I assure you, when I dispatched that assassin, the only thing on my mind was your demise,” Ravage said.

Nox put her hands on her hips. “Well, you’ll have to settle for my sofa’s demise—and by settle, I mean buy me a new one.”

AAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAH!! That poor sofa!

“Your last assassin destroyed my sofa and I want you to pay for a new one. What’s so horrible about that?”

“Such a concession is beneath me,” Ravage said with dignity.

Amused curiosity to absolute, helpless laughter in under 100 words. :D

• 2 months later...

Why, look! I wrote something! Imagine that... :rolleyes:

6. In Which Nox Is Conniving and Stuff Happens…Or Does It?

Kaas City, Dromund Kaas

15 ATC

Nox lounged on the sofa in the living room of her chambers, watching the Republic HoloNet. It was simple enough to get around the blockers, and the Republic shows were always so delightfully…different. She flipped though the channels, trying to find something interesting.

Andronikos Revel entered the room and started to walk past, then did a double take as he looked at the holoproj. “Isn’t that a Republic channel?”

“Mhmm. Did you want something?”

“Talos says you’re thinking of leaving the planet soon. Thought I’d see if that was true.” Andronikos looked at the projector and shook his head. “You watch that stuff for fun?”

“You never noticed that the Fata Morgana’s HoloNet access is set to Republic channels?” Nox asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I always figured it was a glitch with the Morgana’s transmitter. Never took you for the type who watched Republic holodramas.”

“I am in the target demographic,” she pointed out.

“You’re a Sith.”

“Sith are allowed to have hobbies besides wreaking havoc and kicking puppies, you know,” Nox said dryly.

He shrugged. “Hey, whatever floats your speeder. Just figured that someone like you would have better taste.”

“I take offense to that!” Nox said indignantly, glaring at him.

“No need to get all worked up about it. I was just surprised.”

“Then become un-surprised.”

“Whatever you say,” he muttered, sitting down at the other end of the sofa.

They sat in silence for several minutes, then Nox turned to Andronikos and asked casually, “So, are you seeing anyone?”

He turned to stare at her. “What brought that up?”

“Oh, no reason.” Nox grinned at him. “Well?”

Andronikos shook his head. “No. Not for lack of trying, though.”

“Trying is good.”

He rolled his eyes. “Imperial girls are too stuck-up to want to date the likes of me.”

“Now, now,” Nox said seriously. “No giving up. You can’t have tried every single female on Dromund Kaas yet.”

Andronikos grimaced. “That’s all well and good, but none of them can really compare to…”

She smiled predatorily. “To whom? Do tell.”

“To you, damn it,” Andronikos growled. “Is that why you brought this up? So you can rub it in my face again that I’m not good enough for you?”

“As delightful as that activity sounds,” Nox said thoughtfully, “I was actually trying to express friendly concern and wish you luck in moving on with your life.”

“I’ll believe that when I see it.”

“You have no faith in me,” Nox sighed.

“I know when I’m being toyed with.”

“Typical oblivious man,” Nox sniffed. “I made it perfectly clear that I wasn’t interested in a serious relationship, but you had to go and blame me when I didn’t want to settle.” She turned to look directly at him, radiating disdain. “It’s been four years. Get. Over. It.”

“Believe me, the last thing I want to do is ever have anything to do with you again.”

“So why are you still here?” Nox demanded. “It’s not as if I particularly need you around. I told you four years ago, you could leave any time you wanted. But you haven’t.”

Andronikos shrugged. “Can’t think of anything better to do.”

Nox laughed. “Liar. You’re still pining over me, aren’t you? I think you’re in lo—“

“Shut up,” Andronikos said coldly. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She smiled at him. “Ooh, we’re getting nasty, are we? Say some more!”

“You want nasty?” he snapped. “How’s this: I wouldn’t wish a woman like you on my worst enemy, you manipulative, heartless b*tch.”

“I like you when you’re angry,” Nox murmured coyly.

“We’re not going there,” Andronikos said flatly. “It’s over. We’re done, you and me—“

Nox pounced.

“Damn you,” he muttered, making a half-hearted attempt to push her off him. She kept him firmly pinned to the sofa, making sure he couldn’t squirm away.

“Why settle for those snobby Kaas City girls,” she whispered, “when you could have me?”

“I’d rather not live out my days as some Sith Lord’s plaything, thank you,” Andronikos retorted.

Nox chuckled. “There are men who would kill to be in your position right now.”

“I’m not those men.”

“That’s why I like you.” She leaned in closer, brushing her lips across his nose, then down to his mouth.

The floor was very cold and hard when she landed on it a few moments later. Andronikos stood up, frowning down at her.

Nox scrambled to her feet, dusting off her dress. “That’s no way to treat a lady,” she complained.

“You’re not a lady,” Andronikos said darkly. “You’re a whore. And I’ll be damned if I fall for your tricks again.” He turned and strode out of the room.

Nox rolled her eyes and flopped back down onto the sofa. “Men,” she sighed. “Always acting like they have something to prove.”

Why, look! I wrote something! Imagine that... :rolleyes:

“You want nasty?” he snapped. “How’s this: I wouldn’t wish a woman like you on my worst enemy, you manipulative, heartless b*tch.”

[...]

“You’re not a lady,” Andronikos said darkly. “You’re a whore. And I’ll be damned if I fall for your tricks again.” He turned and strode out of the room.

Yeeeeeeeeees!!

It's so true... so sadly true. [sigh of pining]

• 3 months later...

Well...I've pretty much given up on this thread. No real inspiration going on here. So I'm just going to skip all the random sundry nonsense and cut right to the part that this was leading up to, in an extra-special long episode. ;)

I dedicate this piece to irishfino, because this whole Nox/Ravage thing is kinda her fault. :p

7. In Which Vesaniae Grows Bored and Skips Straight to the Good Stuff

Kaas City, Dromund Kaas

16 ATC

“I’m surprised to see you in the Citadel at this hour,” A’tro said dryly as Nox encountered her in a corridor. “Aren’t you usually out enjoying yourself this time of night?”

“Oh, I’m going to be enjoying myself, all right,” Nox said with a smirk. “I have an appointment with Ravage.”

A’tro raised a brow-ridge. “Really? A date?”

“It’s not a date,” Nox said haughtily. “It is an appointment. We are to meet on the roof of the Citadel, and there we will settle our differences once and for all.”

A’tro shook her head. “You honestly expect me to believe that Ravage challenged you to a duel?”

“I wouldn’t have believed it either, but it happened.” Nox grinned. “I’m looking forward to it.”

“Nox,” A’tro said exasperatedly, “you do realize that he’s not going to play fair?”

“I should expect nothing less. After all, I won’t either.”

A’tro covered her face with her palm. “You’re both going to get yourselves killed, and then the Council will be down two members, and it will be hell to find people competent enough to replace you.”

“Nonsense. The Council will only be down one member, and Ravage has plenty of apprentices who can replace him. Some of them are competent.”

“Not as competent as he is.”

“Please,” Nox said contemptuously. “There are gundarks more competent than Ravage.”

“You are allowing your dislike of him to interfere with your judgment.”

“I know my own strength, thank you very much. And I know that I can crush him. Now if you’ll excuse me, I really must be on my way to do just that.” Nox brushed past A’tro and continued down the hall.

“If you do something stupid and die, I won’t miss you!” A’tro shouted after her.

Nox shook her head. A’tro was overreacting. She had the situation well in hand.

After a few minutes of brisk walking and an elevator trip, she arrived on the roof of the Citadel. The elevator emerged into a small, cube-shaped building perched atop large, flat roof. Exiting the elevator, she patted her lightsaber to reassure herself, took a deep breath, then quietly opened the door and sneaked out onto the rooftop.

Upon first glance, Ravage was nowhere in sight. There were a few lights illuminating the space, which was good, because the sky was completely obscured by roiling dark clouds. It was probably going to rain. If it rained heavily enough, it would interfere with her lightsaber’s ability to function. Even worse, it would ruin her hair.

“You’re on time,” Ravage’s voice said dryly.

Nox whirled in the direction of the sound to see him leaning against the duracrete base of one of the Citadel’s immense lightning rods. “Punctuality is one of my virtues.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You have virtues?”

“You wound me,” she declared. “Of course I do.”

“Funny, I hadn’t noticed.”

“You were looking?”

“Only when I was forced to turn my eyes in your general direction.”

“And I suppose you were laid up in bed with cold compresses over your eyes for a week afterwards?” Nox asked dryly.

“It was terribly traumatic. If only I could scour the images from my mind.”

Nox pouted at him. “Are you saying I’m ugly?”

“Stars, you’re touchy,” Ravage muttered.

She laid a dramatic hand over her heart. “You’re wounding me again. It hurts.”

“Good.”

“Have you no concern for my suffering?” she demanded, fluttering her eyelashes.

“That really doesn’t work at this range, you know.”

Nox stopped fluttering.

“Not that it would work on me anyway,” Ravage added hastily. “Besides, I invited you here to kill you, and I intend to follow through.”

“What part of ‘Nox is ridiculously powerful’ do you not understand?” she inquired. “Seriously, I’m curious.”

“How about the part where I don’t give a damn?”

“Ah,” Nox said thoughtfully. “That works, I suppose. Still…consider yourself warned.”

Ravage’s response was rendered inaudible by a deafening thunderclap.

“Great,” Nox muttered, her ears ringing, as she felt the impact of several raindrops. “This is going to do wonders for my outfit, just wonders…”

“You look rather disgruntled, Nox,” Ravage noted. “And here I would have thought that this weather would appeal to your sense of drama.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Well, when you put it that way…”

She reached out to the Force, feeling the storm, digging mental fingers into the dormant energy. It was just like her: chaotic, capricious, unable to be mastered—

Everything went white. Nox dimly felt herself be lifted off her feet by an unseen force, then crashed to the ground.

Oops, she thought as a wave of darkness swallowed her.

A moment later, the wave subsided, and she heard Ravage’s voice. “Nox?”

Footsteps and his Force presence approached. She kept very still with her eyes closed as she heard the knee plates on his boots clank against the ground.

“Damn it, Nox,” Ravage said exasperatedly. Wait, was that a note of concern in his voice? “You would get yourself hit by lightning before the fight even started…”

She was lying on her side, facing away from him. She felt him start to turn her over.

The energy that she had drawn in from the lightning sizzled through her veins. It was simplicity itself to expel it violently outward. Ravage’s Force presence suddenly moved very rapidly to a point several meters away that she suspected coincided with the location of the cube housing the elevator. Chucking softly to herself, Nox rose to her feet, brushing herself off—a futile effort, thanks to the rain that was starting to fall with irksome steadiness, but one had to maintain some semblance of dignity.

She turned to see Ravage extricating himself from a vaguely Ravage-ish lump that had been squashed against the side of the cube. He straightened his cloak and regarded her with an expression of combined admiration and irritation.

“Surprise,” Nox said cheerily.

Ravage glared. “How clever of you.”

Nox cracked her knuckles. “So, now that I’m nice and warmed up, shall we fight?”

A small, dark grin crossed Ravage’s face. “I was hoping you would say that.” He drew his sabers and leaped for her.

She’d been expecting that, and stopped his charge in midair with a blast of lightning. He dropped lightly to the ground, holding his blades crossed in front of him to catch the energies streaming from her fingertips.

“You’re terribly predictable, you know,” she said dryly.

“So are you.”

“Just because you were expecting this doesn’t mean you can counter it,” Nox pointed out. She winked at him. “I can keep going all night.”

Ravage smirked. “Me too.”

He moved away from the lightning and up behind her with blinding speed that was clearly enhanced by the Force. As he moved to impale her, Nox ducked and rolled forward, letting his lightsabers pass harmlessly above her. She quickly rolled to her feet and turned around.

“Too slow!” she taunted.

Ravage casually flourished his blades. “Why don’t you stop hiding behind that lightning and fight me like a Sith?”

“But I am fighting you like a Sith.”

He rolled his eyes. “Admit it, you’re terrible with that fancy saber of yours. Why do you even carry a double-bladed if you can barely use it?”

“It’s an heirloom!” Nox said indignantly.

“You are strange.”

She stuck her tongue out at him.

Ravage shook his head. “Strange.” He casually threw one lightsaber in her direction.

Nox dodged the blade and grabbed the weapon by the hilt before it could return to its master. “Hah! We’ll see who’s terrible with a lightsaber now!”

His eyes widened. “You’re not serious—“

Nox charged.

It had been a while since she had actually fought with a single-bladed weapon, but the old training never really went away. The remembered motions came back to her in an instant and she pressed forward, battering away at a startled Ravage’s defenses.

“All right, maybe I didn’t give you quite enough credit,” he said grudgingly as he blocked her flurry of attacks. “But you’re wielding that thing like a vibrosword. The lightsaber—” he suddenly pressed the offensive, “—is an elegant weapon.” With a single smooth motion, he disarmed her. “And it should be treated with respect.”

Hmm, maybe I need practice after all. Nox frowned at him. “You just threw away one of your ‘elegant weapons.’”

“It didn’t go over the edge,” he said, shrugging. “I’ll pick it up after I kill you.”

Nox sighed. “Ravage, if I had a rock for every time you’ve said you’re going to kill me, I would be able to bury this building. Face it; it’s not going to happen.”

He swung. She skipped backwards. He advanced.

“Just stand still, dammit!” he snapped.

Her response came in the form of lightning.

“Irksome little harlot,” Ravage muttered, clearly having a harder time blocking the energies with only one saber.

Nox drew herself up. “Who are you calling little?” she demanded.

“Has anyone ever told you that you take offense to the most bizarre things?”

“I’m five foot eight!” Nox huffed. She stopped channeling the lightning to plump up her bosom. “Nothing little here, thank you very much.”

Ravage appeared rather distracted for a moment, then shook himself and started towards her, lightsaber at the ready. “You’ve been a thorn in my side ever since you killed Thanaton. I’m sick to death of your antics and your attitude.”

Nox gave him her coldest stare. “And I am thoroughly weary of your ego and your belligerence.”

They locked eyes for a long moment, neither of them paying any heed to the thickening rainfall.

“Game over,” Nox whispered.

Ravage smiled. She had never seen him smile like that before. It was a calm, cool smile that bespoke an air of complete and utter ruthlessness, and in spite of herself Nox felt a chill. “My thoughts exactly.”

There was a thunderclap as loud as the first, and the intensity of the downpour increased significantly. Ravage’s lightsaber sputtered, then went out. He dropped the faintly smoking handle with a curse.

Nox laughed. “Looks like today is not your lucky day.”

In the Force, Ravage was so furious that she thought he might burst into flames. “I hate you,” he snarled through gritted teeth.

“Does the power come in handy, or do you just prefer to stew?” she inquired lightly.

“Hate. You,” Ravage repeated. He took a step towards her, then another.

Nox held her ground, giving him her most enigmatic smile.

“Damn it all,” Ravage muttered, seething. “Why can’t you just go away?”

He took one last step forward, his hands darting out. She moved to block an attack on her throat; instead, his arms went around her waist, drawing her against him with crushing force.

“Admit it,” Nox murmured. “You don’t want me to go away, do you?”

“Stars, no,” Ravage breathed, his eyes beginning to smolder with something other than hatred.

She was not sure who kissed the other first. She did know that once she started, she had no desire to stop.

Cold water dripping on her bare leg startled Nox from her doze.

She was lounging back under the lip of the elevator cube’s roof with her legs stretched out into the open. More water dripped down from the roof onto her thigh. Her stockings were pushed down around her knees. That was odd.

She started to lean forward to adjust them, then looked down and noticed the arm around her waist. Then she remembered that she had been resting on Ravage’s lap.

Nox’s eyes widened. Oh, my. That actually happened.

She tried to carefully move his arm so she could get up and sneak away, but the Force was not with her and he stirred at her touch.

“Mm,” he murmured. “Wha—Nox?!

“It’s me,” she said dryly.

“Oh, stars,” Ravage muttered, quickly releasing her from his hold and squirming away.

Nox stood up and took several steps away, turning her back on him. It was still dark, but the rain had stopped. She adjusted her clothing until she was somewhat presentable, pulling up her stockings and re-doing the fastenings on her dress. Behind her, she could hear him doing the same.

“Did we—“ he started.

“Yes.”

“So it wasn’t just a dream,” Ravage sighed. “That’s just wonderful.”

Nox turned around to face him. “So…now what?”

“I would prefer to forget that this ever happened,” Ravage said grimly.

She was unable to resist the urge to pout at him. “Was it that bad? I thought you enjoyed yourself.”

That same little smirk that had appeared on his face at the beginning of their fight made a return. “I can certainly see why men flock like bees to your flower.”

Nox chuckled. “And just how long have you been waiting for a chance to join the ranks, hmm?”

To her extreme amusement, Ravage blushed faintly. “Longer than I care to admit.”

Nox sighed. “So A’tro was right. I’ll never hear the end of it.”

“Neither of us will, if anyone else finds out about this.”

“Then we make sure no one finds out,” Nox said determinedly.

Ravage nodded. “We go about our business as usual. No one needs to know what really happened up here.”

Nox bit her lip. “I don’t know…”

Ravage frowned. “What?”

She gave him her most sultry smile. “Dawn is still a few hours away, and your quarters aren’t far.”

“How do you know where my quarters are?” Ravage demanded suspiciously.

Nox rolled her eyes. “It’s hardly a secret. Besides, I got Enadya to tell me.”

“And then you killed her,” Ravage said accusingly. “I’m still angry about that. She was my favorite apprentice.”

“And not as good in bed as me, I’ll bet,” Nox said smugly.

“I wouldn’t exactly consider this an optimal locale for the measuring of sexual prowess,” Ravage said dryly.

“Want to take me somewhere that is?” Nox asked, putting on her most charming expression.

Ravage hesitated for a moment. Then his expression turned to one of amused resignation, and he strode forward and offered her his arm. “Perhaps you’d care to join me in my chambers, my lady?”

“Ooh, the gentleman angle,” Nox murmured, taking his arm and snuggling up against his side. “I like it.”

He leaned over and lightly kissed her cheek. “I can be a gentleman.” He nipped at her ear. “When I feel like it.”

“So, does this mean we’re enemies with benefits?” Nox inquired as they started towards the door into the elevator cube. “Is that even a thing?”

Ravage shrugged. “It is now.”

And there you have it, my friends. :cool:

Edited by Vesaniae

Fan. Freaking. Tastic. :D

“Have you no concern for my suffering?” she demanded, fluttering her eyelashes.

“That really doesn’t work at this range, you know.”

Nox stopped fluttering.

Nox drew herself up. “Who are you calling little?” she demanded.

“Has anyone ever told you that you take offense to the most bizarre things?”

“I’m five foot eight!” Nox huffed. She stopped channeling the lightning to plump up her bosom. “Nothing little here, thank you very much.”

Ravage appeared rather distracted for a moment, then shook himself and started towards her, lightsaber at the ready.

“So, does this mean we’re enemies with benefits?” Nox inquired as they started towards the door into the elevator cube. “Is that even a thing?”

Ravage shrugged. “It is now.”

These are the bits that had me laughing loudest. Really, this is a hilarious chapter all around. Well done!