Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Are the cartel coins just for buying cosmetic crap or are we going to get something worthwhile that will help gameplay? I for one don't care about fancy shining speeders or annoying pets following me around. I am more interested in stats boosts or some type of gear.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to realise 90% of the items in the cash shop are going to be aimed at getting the F2P players to spend cash on boosts.

Someone like myself who has multiple level 50s and does not need/want to level another character only has Operations and a few more WZs to look forward to, how is that worth $15 a month?

so what your saying is, you dont know why you are spending $15 dollars a month now? I mean thats what every mmo is like once you get to 50. You pvp or you raid or you level an alt. welcome to mmo's

I can understand giving Collector's edition 1000 coins, what about deluxe digital buyers? I'm sure they deserve some show of loyalty too!

I felt the same initially, then I recalled the absurdly high record setting price that the Collectors edition people paid vs Deluxe.

*** i dont like this im paying since day one..... i always said i will be here until this dies and i will but.... i dont like the idea of the game overpopulated with scumbags... server lags and all this **** that is coming this way only to speed up updates and a *********** game store........ and i hope they are not planning to sell an edge in pvp in exchange of some delicious money

i dont like the idea of the game overpopulated with scumbags... server lags and all this **** that is coming this way

In STO, the percentage of scumbags really is no higher than it used to be, I don't think you have to worry about this. As for lagging, the solution is smaller population caps before starting additional instances of an area. I've found that for my machine with an older ATI Radeon HD 5770 I can handle up to 200 people in fleet before my machine drags. Many people confuse lag caused by your machine with server lag, even at our highest population in the initial days I never once experienced server based lag.

I officially unsubscribed and uninstalled today go take your free to play *** **** and shove it up your *** you should have fixed the *********** problems with the game instead of being moranic *********** ******* QQing about what new **** you want to put in the game. maybe then this retarded *** hybrid f2p model wouldnt exist and you wouldnt lose the rest of your subscribers congrats you *********** mental ******* thank you for killing any gosh darn hope i had of a star wars mmo

may the force be with you as you all burn in *********** hell

way to be constructive lol, a simple "i do not like this " would have worked. let the grown ups talk now and go back to your farmville

Edited by steeltow

My biggest issue is that it never stops where they start the store. Never.

In EQ2, it was, we aren't going to add RMT, then it was, we are adding RMT but only on these servers over here, it won't interupt your game play. Then it was RMT is on all game server, but we aren't going to put anything that will change the game... Then the xp potions and heal pots, etc started... Then they merged the F2P (or P2W rather) servers and the sub servers and I couldn't handle it anymore. All the time I was telling people that this is the way it was going to go down and being told to shut up about slippery slopes that it won't ever happen.

Yes, it may be inoffensive to most now, but remember, this is just the start. The ease in to make it easier to swallow, but it won't stop here, it never does.

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.

:D

Oh and us DDE purchasers are getting screwed here. We paid more for the initial buy and now we get nothing extra. :mad:

BW your lack of common sense is astounding.

What is really stupid is BW is letting people play the best part of their game for free. PvP, Ops, FP, end game content in general is a joke.

I just wanted to add my voice to those against this change. I have gone through games in the past that moved from the subscription model to a hybrid and ultimately to a pure F2P or might as well be F2P.

I can't stand the microtransaction model and what it stands for. It is an attempt to nickel and dime the players out of every cent they can. The hybrid model even more so than a regular F2P model since even the "subscribers" that have "access to everything in game for their subscription" still have to pay for things on the store.

Ignoring the slippery slope argument, one of the things that annoy me the most about a move from subscription to hybrid/F2P is that every single one of these "fluff" or "social" items that is added to the shop could have instead been added to the game in some way. An obscure quest, part of the normal quest lines, a clicky way off the beaten path. Something that gives a player a sense of accomplishment and that feeling of "I played the game and I got this item" which, in my opinion, is what these games should be about.

I'm not saying I'm quitting for now. I'm sticking around only because a very close friend I play the game with wants to stay. But the very first time I see this big button or advertisement show up while I play that pushes the microtransaction store on me I will make serious arguments for leaving.

I enthusiastically hope you and your enthusiastic team rethink this extremely controversial change in business model. I really do believe that this will do more harm than good to the game and what is left of the image of BW/EA.

Edited by Mysteran

Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

I want to reach out today to share my thoughts on our recent announcement to expand our game to offer a Free-To-Play option this fall. I’d like to give you some insights into why we made this decision, how it benefits you and how enthusiastic our team is about this new direction.

Read More

You and your enthusiastic team can take a long hard suck on my @rse ... F2P=Cancelled

Edited by Witnezz

Anyone else find it funny that people are trashing SWTOR for going F2P and saying "I'm out. F2P ruins games. I'm going to go play Guild Wars 2"? Do these same people realize that GW2 is...wait for it...F2P as well, and GW1 was also F2P and very succesful? Heres just a shot in the dark everyone. Before we all look into our crystal balls and see the future of ToR why dont we just *gulp* give it a shot and see what happens. Worse case scenario, it goes F2P, you dont like it, uninstall it and no harm done since you stopped paying money at that point anyways. Best case, it brings the game to life. F2P has worked for a few games. Not saying I like the idea, but at least give it a shot

I actually feel this is the best case scenario.

SWTOR's biggest problem is the incredible lack of content updates.

I stopped playing PvP when I hit Valour 50 because I couldn't take doing the same 4 WZs over and over and over.

I'm getting bored of Nightmare Pilgrim and HM EC and I've been bored of Nightmare EV/KP for a while now.

The meat of SWTOR really is leveling 8 toons. With the new payment option I can level my toons and when new content is released buy a time card and beat the new content on them.

In others words... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm a happy camper!

Anyone else find it funny that people are trashing SWTOR for going F2P and saying "I'm out. F2P ruins games. I'm going to go play Guild Wars 2"? Do these same people realize that GW2 is...wait for it...F2P as well, and GW1 was also F2P and very succesful?

I'm not one of the ones saying this and have never tried the GW games at all. But I think one of the points of this is the game was designed from the ground up to fit that model whereas in this case we are having the subscription model changed on us in an already existing environment. With GW you know you are going into that from the start. Here we have people that are invested in their characters and communities that are being forced to accept the change.

I was going to write this long windy post about the evils of free2play, the horrors of bringing real world capitalism so forcefully into a gaming environment, and the apparent shift in BioWare (or EA perhaps?) doctrine from "making the greatest game ever" to "making as much money as possible"... Instead ill just jump to my bottom line conclusions:

If subscribers have access to 100% of the game, why would they want or need these cartel tokens?

There will be desirable perks available only through the store; store exclusives such as speeders and cosmetics etc. The moment I have to decide between buying these tokens or not enjoying the game to the max, I've lost the game.

I'm not one of the ones saying this and have never tried the GW games at all. But I think one of the points of this is the game was designed from the ground up to fit that model whereas in this case we are having the subscription model changed on us in an already existing environment. With GW you know you are going into that from the start. Here we have people that are invested in their characters and communities that are being forced to accept the change.

No disrespect, but no one is getting "forced" to do anything. Its a game just like any other. Personally, I love the game and wish it stayed a sub. But people werent subscribing and they were losing the numbers too drastically. I had a feeling that was going to happen when I would just look threw the forums, see peoples questions and complaints and see threads of complaints as big as 80+ pages and no Bioware response. At that point, I knew the game was in trouble, since bad CS is the first sign of a companys downfall. Now, they have to fix it and get people back into the game. Again, I dont like the idea, but I dont see what other choices they have.

I will admit it is sad not even see this game last a year before essentially throwing in the towel. I mean everyone knew it was inevitable. I do remain hopeful however, I will stay subbed just so I can get cool stuff and features. Depending on what GW2 delivers and whether Bioware gets their act together and pulls this game out of it's death bed which IT IS in no matter what you hear will dictate whether I stay or go. Because regardless, I will choose a Star Wars MMO over another Fantasy orc and goblin MMO. I have faith in Bioware but I will admit, the faith is dying quicker than ever.

Just cancelled my subscription, and my daughter and son's subscription. This is the last time a MMO will burn me when it first comes out. When the next hot subscription MMO comes out, I will wait 6 months and play for free. Good luck bio, you just lost 3 more, but we will be back for Free Fall; why not, we can play till lvl 50.

I believe I speak in the name of most if not all Founders, when I say, give us a lifetime account. We stuck through the early days of this game, and when it flopped we stayed. It's only fair you repay our faith in you, Bioware. Ofcourse EA won't have any of that, the moneygrabbers they are.

That is all I have to say in this matter. Flame on.

I agree. All of us from the start deserve something, but EA won't. Remember, Bioware was a great game company back in the day(Baulders Gate, KOTOR, Jade Empire, ect) After EA swallowed them up, it's been all down hill. EA won't give us ****, and it's only a matter of time, when they figure out it costs to run servers, they will shut it down. Jeez, they have already cleaned house with the programmers. It was a fun ride, I'll switch to free play, and watch this ship go down. May the force be with you all, players, not EA

No disrespect, but no one is getting "forced" to do anything. Its a game just like any other. Personally, I love the game and wish it stayed a sub. But people werent subscribing and they were losing the numbers too drastically. I had a feeling that was going to happen when I would just look threw the forums, see peoples questions and complaints and see threads of complaints as big as 80+ pages and no Bioware response. At that point, I knew the game was in trouble, since bad CS is the first sign of a companys downfall. Now, they have to fix it and get people back into the game. Again, I dont like the idea, but I dont see what other choices they have.

Okay, to update my statement; what I meant is that they are forced to accept it or go elsewhere.

I hate to say this but this is a bad idea, Hackers are going to go wild in PVP, support will go down to nothnig, please BioWare don't let EA push this game off a cliff. But it's a shame really and really disappointing to say the least. Fix PVP and maybe you could start getting more subs.

]So when does the next MMO come out??? this game was just thrown away as a waste of time. Free to play games are useless... so do we just need to spend $5 more a month to get 40 crystals for our sim parks. really restrictions. so i just need to subscribe for one month and get everything and then once Im geared out no more reason to pay. yeah half my guild have already opened their WOW acct. yes their horrible game... oh and PS free to play is always mor eexpensive then subscription $5 here $5 there