Lev 50 Marauder, nearly full champ.

xSkynet

I am not at level 50 yet with my warrior because I'm playing a few classes all of them are in level 30's, so I cannot comment of end game yet but I do see the warrior as a weaker class so far.

The class needs some better stuns for sure and they need a new force ability that you can use from a distance, or more damage dealing since you have to jump in their swinging away.

I have a level 39 BH and the damage he deals is far above what the warrior can do. It is so much easier leveling with the BH.

For example my warrior can jump in a mob and take them out with help from Vette with three or four moves. My BH can take out a mob with on shot and no help.

The warrior is not a bad class but it is at a disadvantage.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that the real issue is that people believe the most important indication of a classes validity in PVP is damage or healing done. These are the same people who skirmish in the hutt ball pits or zerg the center turret while the wings are undefended.

My personal feeling is that Arena and other small scale PVP setups that people have grown accustomed to encouraged and even demanded this perception. Currently, SWTOR doesn't have a similar, individually focused match as of right now. Therefore, I believe the original point of being underwhelming damage wise is sort of moot.

Now if however they start an Arena, I would hole heartily agree that damage needs to be closely examined and balanced to provide a level playing field.

200-250k dmg a warzone, very rarely break 300k.

My equally geared powertech BH friend is 400-450k and occcasionally breaks 500k.

We have been gaming together for a decade and have always been equals in terms of skill.

I have only once EVER broke 5k dmg in 1 hit on a fury/15%/relic/adrenal annihilation. And that was before 50's brackets.

I play annihilation atm, 31/10/0. I have been playing this class since launch and know it extremely well at this point (all specs). Fact remains, this class is sub-par. You may be having great success, as am I now that I'm 50 and geared, but heavy armor wearing ranged classes are doing it too, and doing it much better(as are ops and scoundrels). We dont have a stun or a knockback which is booty, a 4 second vanish is pretty pathetic, and if our purge/trinket is down a decent operative will kill you, no exception. Also, the whole fury/beserk* mechanic is too much extra crap to push and be conscious of. The only class that would benefit from this would be ones that can attack from stealth. Wasting 4 GCD's to fury/zerk/adrenal/relic while actually fighting someone is rediculous.

Thank you for reading my rant.

1. your bh friend is ranged and people in this game are still playing nooob like and don't kill them.

2. He doesn't get a shield that makes him take no damage

3. he doesn't get a stealth skill to run away from combat if he is close to getting killed.

About your lack of a consitent 5k hit...

You are carnage spec which is a the BLEED line not the SPIKE dps line.

I don't know what spec your buddy is but if he is arsenal he is pretty much fodder if any melee jumps him. If he is pyro he has a chance at kiting them to death.

I'm not saying marauders need or don't need love I just don't see how you can sit there and copare two TOTALLY different classes that are not even the same type (ranged/melee) and then go off something as murky and subjective as total dps in a match.

My main is a jugg, now I know we have way to much crap to manage while staying in melee range (both jug and marauder) and it requires significant more skill to play these classes then face roll BH (I have a 40ish BH merc). But it would never cross my mind to try to compare my Jugg dps line to the dps line of any ranged class.

Edited by Paralassa
content

Man, as an anni marauder, before patch i can constantly dish out 300-400k damage and 100k+ healing. My highest record was 450k dmg and 150k healing. After patch, I can still constantly do 250k-300k dmg and 60-80k healing. I dont have full set champ and im using 1 champ mainhand and 1 centurion offhand.

With anni spec, marauder are invincible. If you think marauder sucks, you really havent fully utilized all of your abilities and GCD

See people miss interpret threads like these. Mara's do not suck...it's just compared to the other classes where the problem is.

The way I play Mara is wait till everyone's is low and go in for the KS's. But if you're up against any ranged heavy or even a jugg/guardian then it's like "Oh god.....i need help, get the hell out of here, or crit big or die.

I love my class and Im not crying for any huge rework buffs just stuff that makes us a little more viable.

I see so many Mara's say Learn 2 play...well please make a video and show us how to play because im willing to watch and correct my ways so i can be a more viable Mara.

Troopers, especially Commandos, are food for a good Marauder.

Not only troopers but everything is food for a good marauder.

I'm level 50 annihilation spec 33/7/1, pretty much full champ gear (cent belt and cent pants with champ quality mods in them, then rakata gloves from a hardmode), I have 544 or so expertise.

The things that give me the biggest problems are ops/scoundrels, their burst is stupid and the only way i beat them is with all my CD's up (frenzy, the 90% acc reduction, choke, undying rage). I need alteast a few of those up, most the time they are as they're all 45-1:15 CD's mostly.

Everything 1v1 is easy to kill besides stated above.

Group setting a Marauder really shines. I run 4 man premades with my guild a lot and we wreck all the competition on our server 95% of the time.

TO the OP.

Sure you may only be doing 200-250k damage sometimes but you have to look at the amount of kills you get. I was in a warzone with a Tracer Missile spamming Merc guildy and the guy did 360k damage and 36 skills, i did 240k damage and had 35 skills. There's no point in oogling over your damage output if you're not killing anyone and higher damage numbers don't make them a better player.

Level 50 mara with some champion gear. I've given every build a try till now. Both rage, anni and carnage. We do not suck in pvp, but we're not op either. There are some classe that i stay away from unless i get the jump on them.

In warzones we do have decent survivability with forcecloak and our defensive cds. I am currently playing carnage spec wich i personally liked the best of all 3 specs. This gives reduced mobility vs rage, but more cc with the 3 sec immobiliser from deadly throw and the ravage immobiliser. We also have a aoe stun that works fairly well to give you those few ekstra seconds on 1v2 before popping undying rage. and dying.

With all this said i can say that i really enjoy my marauder, but i do think it needs fixes. Ability delay is a major one that gets us killed fast. Another is that our burst isnt all that high for a pure dmg spec. This would be countered by beeing able to use kick or pommel on elites and other players imo. The last thing is our armor wich is medium but its not much difference from light armor. This makes us somewhat of a glass cannon...thats using glass cannonballs to make the target bleed to death instead of instantly killing it.

Carnage does have ok single target burst , but after the main rotation it stoppes a bit. Give us the two useless(imo) abilities usable in pvp. This would increase our burst capability and make the reduced survivability justified. This would also make us beeing CC'd a bit more justified aswell, since we would be able to dish out more dmg quicker the we are currently able to.

I'd like to clarify that this is representative of my opinion and not every marauder here. And this is written to get an adult discussion about what could be done towards making the marauder class feel atleast comparable to other dmg classes.

I'd also like to ask if the devs actually knows of what the community feels about this class. I have yet to read a thread where they have actually replied to anything. I apologize in advance if this is wrong, as i might have missed it. But i do feel that the class is a bit ignored. If anyone knows i'd appreciate a link to where specific questions have actually been adressed.

Frimmy

How do you guys feel maras compare to juggs?

I'm only asking because im tempted to roll a mara myself after watching my pug teammate (lvl50 jugg with 3 champ pieces + BM gear) get torn apart by a lvl 50 jedi sentinel while i was spamming heals with my lowlvl operative alt.. the sent was completely alone there and despite me sinking 10k+ hp worth of heals into the jugg the mara won easily. I will grant that this particular jugg is not among those i consider to be the best on my server.. while the sentinel is certainly the republic player that gives me the most headaches whenever i see he/she is in the wz.

not sure what spec the sent is.. but if the sick damage is dependant upon setup time then this situation certainly had it since i was not doing much damage to her aside from shooting a corrosive dart... rest of the time i was healing the jugg, then the sent got a bit annoyed at this and flattened me.

What REALLY made me want to roll a mara was seeing this same player later in a huttball match and getting the drop on her with my sniper as she had just killed one or 2 teammates of mine.. this was at one of the ramps in the middle.. this was the first time i saw that maras/sents were really a stealthclass too!

by the time the sent decloaks she is out of my range and 10m from the heal powerup.

Edited by Phlaago

TO the OP.

Sure you may only be doing 200-250k damage sometimes but you have to look at the amount of kills you get. I was in a warzone with a Tracer Missile spamming Merc guildy and the guy did 360k damage and 36 skills, i did 240k damage and had 35 skills. There's no point in oogling over your damage output if you're not killing anyone and higher damage numbers don't make them a better player.

Then your tracer spamming guildie probably helped the group more, provided he was doing this dmg in a productive manner (atatcking/defending pts and/or just stomping enemies so they cannot complete objectives. He did 50% more dmg then you, that's a lot man. While he probably was using railshots as well, a skill similar to our pommel strike except ranged and usable in pvp.

Seriously, marauders need to stop making assumptions such as our dmg is more productive or ppl doing more dmg then them in warzones are somehow doing dmg that is less valuble then whatever it was you/I were doing.

If you cant break 300k in a warzone with a marauder your definitely doing it wrong. Also we are the single best healer killer/disabler in the game. And have the best overall team buff for pvp (predation).

Please post screens of your mara consistently breaking 300k damage in a post 1.1 warzone. I find this very hard to believe.

I like the ability Pommel Strike that we get, but only can be used with a person is stunned. Too bad we don't really have a stun.

The rage is useless, it takes so long to build up and it don't last for a very long time. I'm Ani specked and I combine rage with Juyo form. There just is not enough bleed effect abilities to make it worth it. If we are to have a burst of damage, we need to have a good combo of bleed effects lined up so when our rage builds up BAAAAM, we just start whooping ***.

If we are able to get close to you, they only thing on the enemies mind should be " Holy crap, how do I get away"

Pommel Strike and Savage kick are DISABLED in pvp.

well im not gonna comment about weither i think marauders are underpowered or not as iv seen some kick *** marauder players on my server who usually top the boards, but what kills this class for me is that when pressing abilitys and they dont work!

ive used all 3 specs now and the only one i dont seem to have a problem with is rage, i liked carnage but had to change from that as i had to mash the keys about 4 times to get the abilitys to work!

Other than that though i really like the class and im deffinately gonna stick with it.

imo if they changed the abilities we have that stun "weak targets" to actually work in pvp I think we would have less issues. Half the time I can't even use pommel strike or opportune strike in pvp. Aside from that I don't really have many issue's keeping up with the damage and I went the "weak spec" focus tree according to my guild, but it works well for me. Force sweep crits for 5k+ quite alot, especially when stacked after using force stasis and power ups.

Player characters are considered Champion level, which is why you can't use Savage Kick or Pommel Strike in PvP. No amount of stun fixing will enable you to use it, it has to be changed to be used on all levels of mobs, which could happen but in PvE our dps would skyrocket and then we'd get nerfed into oblivion and laughed at more.

As a level 22 Maurader (...)

No, Mauraders are fine. Maybe I'll change my story when I hit 50, but so far, I have zero problems being in the top 3 for objectives AND damage.

Don't get me wrong, but you shouldn't comment as a level22...

As a level 20+, 30+ I was kicking ***, top 2, top 3 damage, rocking my score boards and all... I've hit 50 2 days ago, have no expertise on my gear, just really strong pve gear, and let me tell you - by now I struggle to hit 100k damage dealt in total.

Hard to deal damage when you're stunned, blinded, frozen, suspended, face down on the ground or sent flying in all kinds of different directions for half of the match, trust me.

I'm not about the killing for points, I want to help my side win the match, so I try to go after healers, interrupt them, or protect the ball carrier... but it's a joke.

Here's a fun fact - at 50, 1v1 - a HEALER will out damage you.

You will not get through their shields fast enough to start dishing proper damage, and once you do, you will get knocked back, immobilized, feel free to charge back to them, blinded again while they sprint away laughing and continue pummelling on you, to end the scene with you finally getting back to them only so they can pop back their shield up since it's just gone off cooldown...

It's not all bad, I usually come out with 4 medals, 5 sometimes, but I've resigned myself from pvp till I see some changes, atm the entire experience as a Marauder can be summed up with 2 words - feeling helpless.

Highiest damage I've done on people in one hit is 2.4k, I get regularly shot at by Troopers for 4~5k in one go. To deal some reasonable damage with bleeds you need full fury, pop all bleeds on and pop berserk to get it going - it's a lot of time and effort for something that every Inquisitor/Consular can cast at you repeatedly every few seconds.

Part of my problem is the lack of gear, I hit 50 rather late, I'm lined up against waves of 50's with full expertise gear already, so I do hardly anything to them, they do pleeenty to me, with time sure it will get me there too, I will also get the gear eventually... but it's overall a very frustrating, un-fun experience that I literally loathe by now.

I don't like to play ranged classes, melee is where I like/want to be, but if that's how melee will feel in SWTOR, I will not last here for as long as I was hoping for.

We're doing alright in pve, but also not like we're some great benefit there that can't simply be compensated by taking another dps BH instead of us, which will do more damage, do it from range - so will be at much lower risk of any situational aoe damage, and by doing that will be easier on the healers...

Simply - atm - melee is need of loving from BW.

There are Marauders that are doing well, but it's often also them lined up against teams of no-expertise wearing players. Have friends playing high 50's in full gear, none see/feel that Marauder is anyhow a threat or problem to them.

1. your bh friend is ranged and people in this game are still playing nooob like and don't kill them.

(I'LL LEAVE THIS SINCE YOU'RE PARTIALLY RIGHT)

2. He doesn't get a shield that makes him take no damage

(WE DON'T HAVE A SHIELD, AND NONE OF OUR SKILLS GIVE YOU SUCH 'NO DAMAGE' PROTECTION FYI)

3. he doesn't get a stealth skill to run away from combat if he is close to getting killed.

(4SEC STEALTH WHICH SLOWS YOU DOWN, NEED TO POP PREDATATION TO GET ANYWHERE AND LIVE WHILE IT'S UP, IF YOU HAVE FURY FOR IT, OTHERWISE YOU'RE DEAD ANYWAY, AND THAT'S IF YOU'VE SPECCED 2/2 IN IMPROVED FORCE CAMOUFLAGE SO YOU DON'T TAKE DAMAGE WHILE IT'S UP)

About your lack of a consitent 5k hit...

You are carnage spec which is a the BLEED line not the SPIKE dps line.

(DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! HE IS ANNIHILATION SPEC - IT IS THE BLEED SPEC!! AND IT'S CARNAGE THAT IS THE SPIKE DPS... WHY DO YOU EVEN COMMENT HERE?)

I don't know what spec your buddy is but if he is arsenal he is pretty much fodder if any melee jumps him. If he is pyro he has a chance at kiting them to death.

I'm not saying marauders need or don't need love I just don't see how you can sit there and copare two TOTALLY different classes that are not even the same type (ranged/melee) and then go off something as murky and subjective as total dps in a match.

My main is a jugg (SEE, NOW YOU HAVE A SHIELD, NOT US MARAUDERS), now I know we have way to much crap to manage while staying in melee range (both jug and marauder) and it requires significant more skill to play these classes then face roll BH (I have a 40ish BH merc). But it would never cross my mind to try to compare my Jugg dps line to the dps line of any ranged class.

Problem is that - by default - being ranged, these classes ALREADY HAVE a benefit over us melee. Just with that little fun fact alone, they get to open fire at us from distance, from platforms above us, far from us, even from below us... but to make it worse, they have:

a) more defences that we do

b) more cc

c) have highier damage output

d) have no build up time to take into account

c) don't need to build up full fury to pop berserk to see the bleeds become at least somewhat effective

Don't know how BW class testing went and what were they thinking, but atm light armored classes have better damage tolerance than medium armored due to innate abilites meant to compensate them for that light armor, while we are the actual 'squishies' here ;)

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

Problem is that - by default - being ranged, these classes ALREADY HAVE a benefit over us melee. Just with that little fun fact alone, they get to open fire at us from distance, from platforms above us, far from us, even from below us... but to make it worse, they have:

a) more defences that we do

b) more cc

c) have highier damage output

d) have no build up time to take into account

c) don't need to build up full fury to pop berserk to see the bleeds become at least somewhat effective

Don't know how BW class testing went and what were they thinking, but atm light armored classes have better damage tolerance than medium armored due to innate abilites meant to compensate them for that light armor, while we are the actual 'squishies' here ;)

Id happily take Juyo form giving us 10% dmg, like Shii does & force pull they stole from us in beta.

200-300k is still doable in WZs, esp in Voidstar and/or Huttball

This is coming from someone who was struggling at marauder but now learned the ropes and putting out 2-3x more overall damage and kills than I was ever doing

Marauder is def not underpowered, just takes a bit of learning on your part and keybinding or using a naga.

Though I do think Unleash should have a lower CD being there are so many stuns, but eh what ever

ADAPT AND CONQUER!

Edited by OpenConflict

200-250k dmg a warzone, very rarely break 300k.

My equally geared powertech BH friend is 400-450k and occcasionally breaks 500k.

We have been gaming together for a decade and have always been equals in terms of skill.

I have only once EVER broke 5k dmg in 1 hit on a fury/15%/relic/adrenal annihilation. And that was before 50's brackets.

I play annihilation atm, 31/10/0. I have been playing this class since launch and know it extremely well at this point (all specs). Fact remains, this class is sub-par. You may be having great success, as am I now that I'm 50 and geared, but heavy armor wearing ranged classes are doing it too, and doing it much better(as are ops and scoundrels). We dont have a stun or a knockback which is booty, a 4 second vanish is pretty pathetic, and if our purge/trinket is down a decent operative will kill you, no exception. Also, the whole fury/beserk* mechanic is too much extra crap to push and be conscious of. The only class that would benefit from this would be ones that can attack from stealth. Wasting 4 GCD's to fury/zerk/adrenal/relic while actually fighting someone is rediculous.

Thank you for reading my rant.

I'm sorry to hear this. My mara is anni spec full champ minus the centurion offhand/belt. I have no problem pulling damage/healing in warzones. Most matches I average about 350k-400k damage done and 70k+ healing done. I have no trouble with any class and most fights 1v1 are faceroll. Sometimes even 2v1. Also adrenals/trinkets dont share a GCD with berserk. they dont even share a GCD between them.

Carnage/Combat is the way to go for Marauder/Sentinel pvp. Annihilation is incredibly weak against kiting because of its massive ramp up time on Annihilate and building Deadly Sabre stacks. Carnage gets an incredible tool in dealing with kiting with the Deadly Throw root. Rooting a sage trying to force speed away never gets old.

The root on Deadly Throw and Ravage in the Carnage tree is amazing utility for huttball as well. You can keep a ball carrier completely immobilized for 10.5 seconds with Force Leap + Crippling Throw + Ravage + Force Choke.

Edited by Sacerdos

I would love to see screenshots of all these people doing 300-400k in warzones cause never seen it from anybody ever.

I have 9 screenshots at the moment (used to have a lot more, but I just got a new computer) showing my Annihilation spec Marauder. I'm full Champion gear with a few pieces of Battlemaster. Currently valor rank 63.

Here's your proof that Marauders are just fine:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74902119@N02/

As far as damage goes, I am ALWAYS at the top 3 and usually #1 on damage unless there's a good Sorcerer on the team too, but even then I'll give em a run for their money.

Edited by Hellion_X