Chance of crit bugged??

ozrique

Greetings,

I know this issue have been talked about in the past but please just hear me out, because either I am 1) doing something wrong 2) more unlucky than Donald Duck or 3) right, this thing is bugged.

Since the patch of 2.0 I noticed that it was a lot harder for my Jedi Knight companion to bring back crit items from slicing missions. In comparison with 1.x it was ridiculously low. After patch 2.0.1 some folks seemed to have gotten the issue solved, but I felt I got the same return rate. In July I really started to become irritated and started editing a text-document to keep track on things, putting a note when my companion actually brought the regulators back.

From the 15th of July to the 17 of October the mission "Unsliceable?" have critted twice and I have received 8 Thermal Regulators in total. I have sent T7-01 with 10000 in affection gain out for this or some other slicing tech parts mission every day at least one time, more often two times.

So 94 days with 2 critted returns - is that normal? What am I missing here? Some friends of mine gave up on trying to do slicing missions as they never, ever got the crits, others don't see what I am talking about cause they're doing so well. I realize this is all random, but statistically wise I must be VERY unlucky right?

Would love for you to post your recordings and how many missions you did each day as well if have been documenting would be an interesting read and would provide evidence to back up your claim for when a dev see's this.

I have 6 (soon 8) of them on constant run of Unslicable mission.

1 of 6 (some of them with +crit, all with 10k affection) brings TR most of the cases, some cases 2 of 6, rare cases 3 or 0 from 6.

GTN is flooded with TRs, prices drop often bellow 16k per one... only way to get at least 15k per one clear is to craft augments and rely on crits there.

So I suppose it is not wide bug or there is other reason why some players report so low results.

So I suppose it is not wide bug or there is other reason why some players report so low results.

That is exactly what I am thinking. Some of my friends reports TR drops on a similar ratio like you describe, while others - myself included (insert qq here) - next to never get them at all.

It would be interesting to know how the random generator works, if it functions on the client or the server side. If it is on the client side I guess more things can go wrong but I don't know..

Edited by ozrique

Greetings,

I know this issue have been talked about in the past but please just hear me out, because either I am 1) doing something wrong 2) more unlucky than Donald Duck or 3) right, this thing is bugged.

Since the patch of 2.0 I noticed that it was a lot harder for my Jedi Knight companion to bring back crit items from slicing missions. In comparison with 1.x it was ridiculously low. After patch 2.0.1 some folks seemed to have gotten the issue solved, but I felt I got the same return rate. In July I really started to become irritated and started editing a text-document to keep track on things, putting a note when my companion actually brought the regulators back.

From the 15th of July to the 17 of October the mission "Unsliceable?" have critted twice and I have received 8 Thermal Regulators in total. I have sent T7-01 with 10000 in affection gain out for this or some other slicing tech parts mission every day at least one time, more often two times.

So 94 days with 2 critted returns - is that normal? What am I missing here? Some friends of mine gave up on trying to do slicing missions as they never, ever got the crits, others don't see what I am talking about cause they're doing so well. I realize this is all random, but statistically wise I must be VERY unlucky right?

That is a statistical anomaly.

I too usually send my companions on missions once to three times a day (most commonly twice: once in the morning and once in the evening).

In my experience, it is not a good idea to send the same companion on the same mission (or even on missions within the same crew skill) over and over and over. My own anecdotal evidence shows that doing so results in more completely failed missions than when I "mix it up." I do not know if it has any real affect or not, but for example on my smuggler (where I have slicing), i will send Risha (with her +1 crit to slicing) on a sliced part mission and when she returns I will send her out on a scavenging mission and send Corso on sliced parts instead. As the difference in crit chance is only 1% (for you it would be 2%), it is not as big a deal as you would think.

I also very rarely take advantage of the relog/change areas re-randomize the mission list "feature;" Whatever missions I get, I accept - if that means running grade 6 companion gift missions with several companions on a few characters, so be it (as I am usually leveling a new alt, I can always use the gifts :)). The only exception I make is if I am going to change areas anyway. For example:

1. character is on fleet
  2. I go to send companions on missions and the list of options is less than ideal
  3. but I am heading to a daily area anyway
  4. I will delay sending my companions out until I get to the daily area.

But even then I do not do that all the time.

There is also the "watched pot never boils" effect. Again, in my experience, it is when I feel I need a material the most is when the system gives me the biggest headache by not giving me what I want. But as soon as I break down and buy that material off the GTM, miraculously missions come back with that material in spades. For me, BA artificial microbes are the biggest offender for a while now; and my artificer used up all the Mytag crystals recently, I had a mission drought (including a single pass with three failed missions), as soon as I bought some off the GTM, I got three crits (not to mention the three uber cheap TH missions I found on the GTM and the two missions I got from slicing lockbox missions).

Lastly, as I so rarely use the purple materials (I almost exclusively craft blue quality items for sale), I have ample supply for when I do need them: I have two full stacks of TRs at the moment and 150+ Berylius (UT metal). If I do craft purples for sale, I make sure that I do not use too many purple materials so I always have enough to fulfill my own needs (or those of friends/guildmates).

Yeah, I keep seeing many people say this is not bugged, but my experience tells me otherwise.

What is the crit success rate supposed to be? From other types of missions and crits I get, I guess 1 or 2 crits per 10 missions.

For thermal regs, my average is 1 crit success in approx 100 tries - At about 200 tries early on, with this lousy return rate, I stopped. Now occasionally I send a full affection +2 slicing companion on the mission unsliceable a couple of times a week (I do make augments, so can use the mats -even if it is cheaper on GTN, I figure I'm giving myself the potential, low as it has been for me, for thermal regs to be returned). In the last approx 100 missions over 3 months or so I have had 1 more crit success.

Is it bugged? I think it is for some people. But, I guess we will never know.

Yeah, I keep seeing many people say this is not bugged, but my experience tells me otherwise.

What is the crit success rate supposed to be? From other types of missions and crits I get, I guess 1 or 2 crits per 10 missions.

For thermal regs, my average is 1 crit success in approx 100 tries - At about 200 tries early on, with this lousy return rate, I stopped. Now occasionally I send a full affection +2 slicing companion on the mission unsliceable a couple of times a week (I do make augments, so can use the mats -even if it is cheaper on GTN, I figure I'm giving myself the potential, low as it has been for me, for thermal regs to be returned). In the last approx 100 missions over 3 months or so I have had 1 more crit success.

Is it bugged? I think it is for some people. But, I guess we will never know.

Crit rate for gathering is calculated from mission color 10 - 20%, 10 000 affection +5%, companion crit bonus +1 or 2%

I don't remember color of Unclicible on 450 skill ... so it has to be between 10% and 27% per each try (percentages are not summable) ... as I have wrote once I have most of the time 19% spread over 6 chars.

Now have 8 ... let see is it going to change for good or those 2 more will go to test mission discovery luck.

That is a statistical anomaly.

I too usually send my companions on missions once to three times a day (most commonly twice: once in the morning and once in the evening).

In my experience, it is not a good idea to send the same companion on the same mission (or even on missions within the same crew skill) over and over and over. My own anecdotal evidence shows that doing so results in more completely failed missions than when I "mix it up." I do not know if it has any real affect or not, but for example on my smuggler (where I have slicing), i will send Risha (with her +1 crit to slicing) on a sliced part mission and when she returns I will send her out on a scavenging mission and send Corso on sliced parts instead. As the difference in crit chance is only 1% (for you it would be 2%), it is not as big a deal as you would think.

I also very rarely take advantage of the relog/change areas re-randomize the mission list "feature;" Whatever missions I get, I accept - if that means running grade 6 companion gift missions with several companions on a few characters, so be it (as I am usually leveling a new alt, I can always use the gifts :)). The only exception I make is if I am going to change areas anyway. For example:

1. character is on fleet
  2. I go to send companions on missions and the list of options is less than ideal
  3. but I am heading to a daily area anyway
  4. I will delay sending my companions out until I get to the daily area.

But even then I do not do that all the time.

There is also the "watched pot never boils" effect. Again, in my experience, it is when I feel I need a material the most is when the system gives me the biggest headache by not giving me what I want. But as soon as I break down and buy that material off the GTM, miraculously missions come back with that material in spades. For me, BA artificial microbes are the biggest offender for a while now; and my artificer used up all the Mytag crystals recently, I had a mission drought (including a single pass with three failed missions), as soon as I bought some off the GTM, I got three crits (not to mention the three uber cheap TH missions I found on the GTM and the two missions I got from slicing lockbox missions).

Lastly, as I so rarely use the purple materials (I almost exclusively craft blue quality items for sale), I have ample supply for when I do need them: I have two full stacks of TRs at the moment and 150+ Berylius (UT metal). If I do craft purples for sale, I make sure that I do not use too many purple materials so I always have enough to fulfill my own needs (or those of friends/guildmates).

Most of your conclusions are just wishful thinking, there is no dependence of failure related to using same companion (done when it has + crit or any available with 10k affection if not have one), but if you use those with + efficiency they tend to fail less.

I have good example comparing character at level 15 with Treek and main companion only (using Treek as CS one) and ones with full squad on 10k (but no + crit in list) - Treek tend to fail less than others due to +5 efficiency even she is on constant Unclicable grind.

Watched pot boiled so many times for me that I can tell it wishful also.

Its pretty obvious it has been changed, If someone is getting a lot of T.R. from slicing missions then those people would be the lucky ones. I have multiple slicers and all of them have suffered after patch. With the new patch that released oricon, now my cybertech and biochem missions are doing the exact same thing. Its quite simple when bioware chenged the fact we do not need isotope 5 to craft implants and ears they made the crit chance fall like a rock. Thermal regulators were critting way more often during the start of rothc, after all you have to get players geared up and you cant have each player only getting one T.R. crit per week when they play 12 toons.

Just my observation

Edited by Historyhawk

There are a lot of generalities and theories in this thread but no concrete data.

For the people complaining of failing crits:

Is your companion at 10k affection? If not, get it there and try again.

Are you running only Unsliceable? If you're running the other one, you might consider stopping that.

Are you tracking successes and failures? You should be. This is the only way to get an accurate representation of your actual crit %.

Have you tracked over 100 Unsliceable missions using only pets with 10k affection? 100 is a ridiculously low number to get a reasonable read on actual crit %. 1,000 is better. 10,000 is fairly good. But your results mean nothing until you've tracked over 100 missions, and some would say way higher than that.

There are a lot of generalities and theories in this thread but no concrete data.

For the people complaining of failing crits:

Is your companion at 10k affection? If not, get it there and try again.

Are you running only Unsliceable? If you're running the other one, you might consider stopping that.

Are you tracking successes and failures? You should be. This is the only way to get an accurate representation of your actual crit %.

Have you tracked over 100 Unsliceable missions using only pets with 10k affection? 100 is a ridiculously low number to get a reasonable read on actual crit %. 1,000 is better. 10,000 is fairly good. But your results mean nothing until you've tracked over 100 missions, and some would say way higher than that.

You are both right and wrong. Yes tracking one's results would put more credence into one's claims. However, to paraphrase, "One account with even a dozen characters is a ridiculously low number to get a reasonable read on actual crit %."

Most of your conclusions are just wishful thinking, there is no dependence of failure related to using same companion (done when it has + crit or any available with 10k affection if not have one), but if you use those with + efficiency they tend to fail less.

I have good example comparing character at level 15 with Treek and main companion only (using Treek as CS one) and ones with full squad on 10k (but no + crit in list) - Treek tend to fail less than others due to +5 efficiency even she is on constant Unclicable grind.

Watched pot boiled so many times for me that I can tell it wishful also.

I by no means meant that what I do helps in any REAL sense, in fact I said as much.

My own anecdotal evidence shows that doing so results in more completely failed missions than when I "mix it up." I do not know if it has any real affect or not

I just seem to get a lot of crits, therefore as the Bud Light ad campaign says, "It's only weird if it doesn't work." In my case, what I do with missions appears to work...for ME. So it's not weird :).

Believe me I have had some bad runs too. I just don't get worked up about them; I "yell" at the screen, ("Aw come on man!" or GDI), and move on.

Greetings again,

So, after deciding to actually log my mission returns to actually have some data to back my claims up I have now collected enough proof on what I was doing wrong when I only received 2 crit returns over a period of over 90 days. First, the outcome:

Mission / Comp / Date / Result

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-17 / 5 BM Interface chip

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-17 / Failed

Unsliceable? / T7-01 /2013-10-18 / 4 TM, 6 BM, x

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 5 BM Interface chip

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 4 TM, 6 BM, x

Watching the watchdogs / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 2 TM, 5 BM, x

Watching the watchdogs / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 4 BM Interface chip

Defenseless / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 4 BM, x

Unsliceable? / Kira / 2013-10-19 / 5 BM Interface chip

Watching the watchdogs / T7-01 / 2013-10-19 / 4 BM Interface chip

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-19 / 4 TM, 6 BM, x

Defenseless / T7-01 / 2013-10-19 / 4 BM, x

Watching the watchdogs / Rusk / 2013-10-19 / 4 BM Interface chip

Unsliceable? / Rusk / 2013-10-19 / Failed

Watching the watchdogs / Kira /2013-10-19 / 4 BM Interface chip

Defenseless / T7-01 / 2013-10-19 / 3 BM

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-21 / 4 TM, 6 BM, x

Watching the watchdogs / Kira / 2013-10-21 / 2 TM, 5 BM, x

// = 20 Thermal Regulators in 5 days

The above shows the outcome spanning over 5 days and I have critted a whole lot more than I would ever imagine. Now, why didn't I crit before? Here's why (most likely): I ALWAYS sent T7-01 thinking it would be the best since he's got +2 slicing critical and I almost ALWAYS (99% of the times) chose the Rich yield "Unsliceable?" mission.

When starting this experiment, I took psandak's post into account and sent different companions out, doing all the slicing missions rather than only a select one.

So, for those who very rarely crit - please take note on what I wrote above and give it a try. I'm convinced that I never critted because of the approach I had when sending my T7-01 out, working only on the Unsliceable mission.

I must finally add though, that I find it very misleading that T7-01 got +2 Slicing Critical since it didn't return anything on over 3 months.

Thanks to everyone who gave input on this, I am glad I could sort this out, and hope that this will become valuable information to others experiencing the same problem as I had!

edit: Prior to 2.0, I had the same approach and sent only T7 on rich yield missions. At that time it worked, now it doesn't.

Edited by ozrique

Why are you wasting your time sending anyone out on that "defenseless" mission...I don't even know what it is because I would never think of using anything but Unsliceable/Watching and to be honest I almost never use watching...it's not really worth it either.

Every patch someone gets a run of bad luck and thinks the crit chance is broken..same as people used to do with RE when it was a lower chance. Human nature I guess.

Edited by Larkie

Greetings again,

So, after deciding to actually log my mission returns to actually have some data to back my claims up I have now collected enough proof on what I was doing wrong when I only received 2 crit returns over a period of over 90 days. First, the outcome:

Mission / Comp / Date / Result

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-17 / Failed

Unsliceable? / T7-01 /2013-10-18 / 4 TM, 6 BM, x

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 4 TM, 6 BM, x

Watching the watchdogs / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 2 TM, 5 BM, x

Watching the watchdogs / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 4 BM Interface chip

Defenseless / T7-01 / 2013-10-18 / 4 BM, x

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-19 / 4 TM, 6 BM, x

Watching the watchdogs / Rusk / 2013-10-19 / 4 BM Interface chip

Unsliceable? / Rusk / 2013-10-19 / Failed

Watching the watchdogs / Kira /2013-10-19 / 4 BM Interface chip

Defenseless / T7-01 / 2013-10-19 / 3 BM

Unsliceable? / T7-01 / 2013-10-21 / 4 TM, 6 BM, x

Watching the watchdogs / Kira / 2013-10-21 / 2 TM, 5 BM, x

// = 20 Thermal Regulators in 5 days

The above shows the outcome spanning over 5 days and I have critted a whole lot more than I would ever imagine. Now, why didn't I crit before? Here's why (most likely): I ALWAYS sent T7-01 thinking it would be the best since he's got +2 slicing critical and I almost ALWAYS (99% of the times) chose the Rich yield "Unsliceable?" mission.

When starting this experiment, I took psandak's post into account and sent different companions out, doing all the slicing missions rather than only a select one.

So, for those who very rarely crit - please take note on what I wrote above and give it a try. I'm convinced that I never critted because of the approach I had when sending my T7-01 out, working only on the Unsliceable mission.

I must finally add though, that I find it very misleading that T7-01 got +2 Slicing Critical since it didn't return anything on over 3 months.

Thanks to everyone who gave input on this, I am glad I could sort this out, and hope that this will become valuable information to others experiencing the same problem as I had!

edit: Prior to 2.0, I had the same approach and sent only T7 on rich yield missions. At that time it worked, now it doesn't.

Do not run anything else than Unclicble, 1st of all only Rich & Bountiful mats missions return TR when crit, 2nd - WtW returns only 2 on almost same price as Unclicible.

Do not run anything else than Unclicble, 1st of all only Rich & Bountiful mats missions return TR when crit, 2nd - WtW returns only 2 on almost same price as Unclicible.

But if the difficulty of the mission is part of what determines the chance to crit, the bountiful mission is "easier," and so should crit more often and outright fail less. Therefore over the long haul, it pays to run bountiful missions.

I started tracking ALL my mission results last night into this morning. I KNOW that this is a small sample:

- I ran WTW four times and got two crits (4TRs+10BMIC) 50% crit rate

- I ran Unsliceable five time and got one crit (4TRs+6BMIC) 20% crit rate

But when expanded to include all the bountiful and rich missions (I ran 101 in total: gathering and mission skills):

- bountiful: 8 crits in 39 missions or 20.5% crit rate

- rich: 7 crits in 62 missions or 11.3% crit rate

Furthermore, across all the missions I ran (115), eight came back total failure:

- bountiful: 1 failure in 39 missions or 2.6% fail rate

- rich: 7 failures in 62 missions or 11.3% fail rate

- zero failures on the moderate and abundant missions I ran (mostly moderate "vendor crafting material" missions)

- ran two wealthy missions as well (they cannot fail).

Obviously more data needs to be gathered and I will continue to track my efforts, but so far your assertions and assumptions (quoted above) have no basis in fact. Even if bountiful missions were to cost the same as rich missions, because they crit more and fail less, even with lesser results, they are worth running.

Running only Unsliceable got me (Jedi Sentinel, 10K affection gain on companions, TOFN) 8 TRs on a period over 94 days. Not very successful :)

But if the difficulty of the mission is part of what determines the chance to crit, the bountiful mission is "easier," and so should crit more often and outright fail less. Therefore over the long haul, it pays to run bountiful missions.

I started tracking ALL my mission results last night into this morning. I KNOW that this is a small sample:

- I ran WTW four times and got two crits (4TRs+10BMIC) 50% crit rate

- I ran Unsliceable five time and got one crit (4TRs+6BMIC) 20% crit rate

But when expanded to include all the bountiful and rich missions (I ran 101 in total: gathering and mission skills):

- bountiful: 8 crits in 39 missions or 20.5% crit rate

- rich: 7 crits in 62 missions or 11.3% crit rate

Furthermore, across all the missions I ran (115), eight came back total failure:

- bountiful: 1 failure in 39 missions or 2.6% fail rate

- rich: 7 failures in 62 missions or 11.3% fail rate

- zero failures on the moderate and abundant missions I ran (mostly moderate "vendor crafting material" missions)

- ran two wealthy missions as well (they cannot fail).

Obviously more data needs to be gathered and I will continue to track my efforts, but so far your assertions and assumptions (quoted above) have no basis in fact. Even if bountiful missions were to cost the same as rich missions, because they crit more and fail less, even with lesser results, they are worth running.

I will check again but I think they have same color at 450 = same chance to crit.

About other - I was doing them both before, now simply doubled amount of slicers just to drop WtW - my experience with those 2 exactly was not as yours.

There is something weird here... maybe same that rise to others that have 100 missions without crit.

And this is why you never post only one day's data: I had a complete turn around in the crit rates:

Since 10/21 I have sent companions out to do 227 different tasks: missions and crafting; moderate, bountiful, rich, and wealthy; premium, prototype, and artifact. In that time, my characters' companions ran 81 Bountiful missions, got 12 crits and two failures. as well as ran 92 Rich missions and got 16 crits and nine failures:

- bountiful crit rate is 14.81% and fail rate is 2.47%

- rich crit rate is 17.4% and fail rate is 9.78%

Getting specific with slicing:

- WTW: three crits in nine attempts, zero failures: 33.33% crit rate

- Unsliceable: three crits in 11 attempts, zero failures: 27.27% crit rate

I will keep tracking...

I've ran 57 Unsliceable missions in the last 10 days or so.... crit rate with those is 17.xx %

How much was the base crit chance for a yellow mission ? Or difficulty level only mattered for the chance to fail ? I don't remember now :p

In any case, Andronikos is the worst slicer ever. No crits and 3 out of 4 fails were his. My Sith is very, very disappointed with him.

In the last four days I have run missions for gathering and mission skills:

- Bountiful: 102 total missions:19 crits:6 failures = 18.63% crit rate & 5.88% fail rate

- Rich: 111 total missions:20 crits:10 failures = 18.02% crit rate & 9.01% fail rate

- moderate (vendor crafting materials): 25 total missions: 9 crits: 0 failures = 36% crit rate

Slicing:

- 13 Unsliceable?:4 crits:0 failures = 30.77% crit rate

- 11 WTW:3 crits:0 failures = 27.27% crit rate.

So I have been tracking for about a week now:

Overall: 397 missions 73 crits 25 failures + 306 crafting "assignments" with 62 crits

As a function of percentage:

• 18.39% crit rate on missions
  • 6.30% failure rate on missions
  • 20.26% crit rate on crafting

212 missions were run by companions with no applicable skill bonus, 36 were crits (crit rate: 16.98%)

124 missions were run by companions with an efficiency bonus of some sort (5 or 10), 22 were crits (crit rate: 17.74%)

61 missions were run by companions with a crit bonus of some sort (1 or 2), 15 were crits (crit rate: 24.59%)

Bountiful Missions: 171 missions 31 crits 10 failures

• 18.13% crit rate
  • 5.85% failure rate

Rich Missions: 178 missions 29 crits 15 failures

• 16.29% crit rate
  • 8.43% failure rate

Gathering Missions (crew skills: Arch, BA, Scav): 197 missions 34 crits 16 failures

• 17.26% crit rate
  • 8.12% failure rate

Mission Skill Missions (crew skills: Slicing, UT, Dip, Inv, TH): 200 missions, 39 crits, 9 failures

• 19.50% crit rate
  • 4.50% failure rate

Slicing Specific (to be on topic :)): 56 missions 13 crits 1 failure

Unsliceable: 16 missions 5 crits 0 failures

WTW: 15 missions 4 crits 0 failures

Lockboxes: 24 missions 4 crits 1 failure

• average credits/lockbox: 2789
  • discovered missions: 2TH, 1arch, 1inv

Now we just need about a thousand more players like me to do similar tracking and we will have ourselves a reasonable sample that we can draw real conclusions from :eek:.

As I said - same color at 450.

Don't have a nerve to wrote it down but from 8 slicers - most runs 1 or 2 crits, rare 3, ultra rare 4 (seen only once), rare 0 ... 1 of them sometime fails, rare 2.

Unclicible only.

Tried to send 2nd one on Bountiful lockboxes... less crits than from Unclicible - above 90% Investigation (have plenty of mats for it) 4 Diplomacy, 1 TH

Dropped like it's Hoth :)

I use Andronikos, 10k affection, 3% character perk increase. As soon as I was 450, I ran 24 Unsliceable missions over a span of 4 days without returning a single crit. The 25th - 28th missions were all crits. The following 9 missions haven't crit. Still collecting data.

The most interesting thing that I have noticed is that when I crit, I am actually online with that character. Since it is my alt, I usually just log on long enough to start missions, hit GTN, and craft. I doubt that should cause any change to crit chance... I just thought it was odd.

I do know that I crit about the same on my UT and TH missions. I would love to just see the code for crit chance. Even on RE's I can go 15 - 20 times without learning and then all of a sudden there will be 3 or 4 successful RE's.

Also does the character perk only apply to crafting? I was never sure if that helped missions or RE.