Daniel Erickson reveals plan to merge into super-servers!

Pahomi

From the interview:

PCG: Will they be cross-server at launch? Is that planned for the future?

DE: They will not be cross-server as we are coming up on a huge move to servers with massively higher population caps than we have today.

That's actually an excellent idea imo. That's even better than merging the servers. I mean yeah, it is a server merge in a way but super servers with a much higher player cap? Hell Yes! But WHEN??

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep it's good. Hope it happens sooner than later.

I guess this means their "target" servers for people to transfer to will be ones they want to keep open. Maybe after they gradually do character transfers as an option first to get a bunch of people to the new "super" servers, they'll do forced char transfers off the ones that didn't move when they're ready (and then close them).

From the interview:

That's actually an excellent idea imo. That's even better than merging the servers. I mean yeah, it is a server merge in a way but super servers with a much higher player cap? Hell Yes! But WHEN??

Sometime in the Nebulous future. ;) And do you consider Rift to have a huge population on it's 16 servers?

Sweet, so how many updates will tout that this "massive change" is coming, then on the eve before the update is released it will be removed from the update and put into the "Coming Soon™" category? For that matter, when will this be implemented? Because relatively standard features are only recently being announced as "Coming Soon™", 6 months post release. So when can we expect a change like this? 2-3 years from now?

It's hard to believe there's much benefit in expanding to "super servers" in order to increase the maximum population of a server when the game's population as a whole is spread so thin.

How many "regular" servers could the community fit into?

Sometime in the Nebulous future. ;) And do you consider Rift to have a huge population on it's 16 servers?

Uh, 250k playerbase which is Rift or 1.3mil playerbase(supposed) which is ToR. Even if we lost another 300k, still doing better then the joke called Rift

Please god tell me this will quieten down the immense whining in these forums.

I must say this idea intrigues me,

I think we have a new trend- complaining about the complaining. I hereby declare that every thread shall have a post complaining about the complaining. Which will then lead to posts complaining about complaining about complaining. And the complaining about complaining about complaining about complaining. And then *BOOOM!!!*

But yeah, that would definitely explain why they've been tiptoeing as far as measures to deal with server populations. I mean, whatever measures they implement will cost money and time, which would be taken from other measures. If it turns out to be incompatible or other with their new hardware, that's more bugs and potentially time wasted.

Sweet, so how many updates will tout that this "massive change" is coming, then on the eve before the update is released it will be removed from the update and put into the "Coming Soon™" category? For that matter, when will this be implemented? Because relatively standard features are only recently being announced as "Coming Soon™", 6 months post release. So when can we expect a change like this? 2-3 years from now?

Well, if they want to keep everyone now June 1st. More realistically, July 1st - July 30th.

That would be cool, something akin to DCUO or Eve.

Not sure they'd be able to do what EVE does....EVE has a lot more space to hold it's 50k concurrent players. If you visit Jita system (the central hub if you will) on crowded days, it can be almost unplayable.

SWTOR could do this with phases I suppose.

Some people will NEVER be satisfied.

Please god tell me this will quieten down the immense whining in these forums.

I must say this idea intrigues me,

I think this sums that up.

Mergers always worry me when it comes to naming, for instance, does one server merge into another - those people who merge in loose their names etc.. hopefully not.

By calling them super servers, it allows them to save face a bit when merges get here after the players have moved of their own free will. Cutting servers by a different name. Honestly I can't blame them b/c of all the trolls waiting to pounce when some servers get cut and/or merged.

Don't expect it to be like EVE.

* But I am quite interested to see these "super servers".

* Looking forward to some massive PVP battlefields.

Huh... I wonder, just what would this game be like if they went the EVE route? I mean, I have a decent computer that's still able to get 30 FPS (most of the time) in SWtOR at the fleet on Fatman, and I have a hard time navigating the trade hubs in Eve at times. There's just so much crap going on that it can get hard to navigate.

And yes, massive PVP battles would be awesome. Maybe they can take some of the ideas SWG had (massive open-war zones on each planet) and actually make them work. :-P

I think this sums that up.

Mergers always worry me when it comes to naming, for instance, does one server merge into another - those people who merge in loose their names etc.. hopefully not.

It's so sad that they have no "post rating" system on this forum, as that just made my day. :-D

Not sure they'd be able to do what EVE does....EVE has a lot more space to hold it's 50k concurrent players. If you visit Jita system (the central hub if you will) on crowded days, it can be almost unplayable.

SWTOR could do this with phases I suppose.

QFT. Nice to meet another EVE player, btw.

I remember back in the day when there were 100+ people on fleet. I remember the game didn't like it too much.

Putting that much population on one server with this game almost seems like a Significant Technical Achievement. I thought BW couldn't do that sort of thing.