Any moral reservations playing dark side? (parents with kids)

DrGerm

I'm just curious to hear other's thoughts.

I'm loving the story associated with the Sith and playing out all the dark side responses. It's fascinating (or maybe I'm jacked in the head...)

However... I've got a 6 yo girl who loves to watch me play games (and I get her to play some herself).

It's weird for me to say this, but I ACTUALLY feel bad exposing her to me purposefully killing people, making obviously evil decisions, and such.

Is it just me? I've actually considered re-rolling an Alliance character (and do full light side) ONLY because I have reservations as a dad. If anything, I BELIEVE the fact that someone even brings this up is a testament to how friggin awesome the story telling in this game is!

You will almost certainly want to play light side while she is around.

In one of the early Bounty Hunter missions, dark side players are tasked with cutting off an old man's head and then taking it back to his wife and displaying it to her. You don't see the actual violence but it's fairly clear what happens. Even a 6 year old would probably understand.

So yea, dark side is a bit gruesome at times, and you might not want to play it with a young child around.

I have a big time guilt trip going.

I had to join dark side because of my clan. My two daughters come running to all the cut scenes. ages 5 and 7. its bad.

my friend once told me something that i can shed.

when we do something. even if we dont allow it now. it gives them tacit permission to do it.

ultimately, we shouldnt be doing this to our kids tbh.

Edited by Avant

Were kids allowed to see any of the 6 star wars movies? Honestly, kids are very resilient, have a decent sense of right and wrong, and will listen to their parents as they do have an innate need to please them. They'll survive. :) They often are far more prepared and enjoy things far more than us adults give them credit for. Half the time it doesn't even sink in what is *actually* going on.

Just like all the cartoons and movies and media in my childhood, and I'd like to say I am a pretty normal adult today. :)

OK, so I guess it isn't "just me"... Thanks

I was feeling weird even admitting this sort of thing was tripping me out. It's one of those things that I never thought would go through my mind until those parent instinct things get turned on.

Just weird.

i think this is different and i dont know what to do about it.

dude's daughter was kidnapped. did you save her daddy. oh yes, you did.

but she was brainwashed. what is brainwashed?

why did you kill her daddy?

if its a movie and vader kills someone, yea no biggie.

in a story driven event with choices your idol makes... and all are baaaad

Were kids allowed to see any of the 6 star wars movies?

It's hard for me to put into words, but I just find this different. It's the whole fact that you, as the avatar in the game, are making these decsions (good or evil) and somehow this seems much different than watching a movie.

Also, there isn't a single thing I find bothersome in any of the SW movies: those are very benign in my opinion. The subjects for Sith/Dark side in this game, however, are a world of difference in my opinion (SUPER Fascinating... but actually quite evil when you think about some of them).

The game is rated T for teen for a reason. There are multiple times where one can choose to murder someone during the story line (at least on Empire side). There is one quest I've run in to so far that has a character talking about "sleeping around". Had they pushed the language and content just a little more into the Mass Effect realm I wouldn't be surprised to have seen an M rating.

I wouldn't let kids play it to be honest. I'd say older teens and above with a strong moral grounding could handle it.

Edited by Pwny_Express

Dark side is murder, torture and more murder. My bh hit rank 1 light side because I don't randomly murder people that don't have a bounty on their heads.

It isn't really age appropriate for young children. For preteens it'd be fine. For young kids, not so good.

Believe it or not, kids are honestly capable of telling the difference between reality and fantasy. I grew up watching my father play video games that were a bit gruesome at times, and watched films that weren't exactly appropriate for my age.

But I understood, even then, that it was fiction. That this behaviour was not appropriate in real life.

Basically, so long as you teach your kids the difference between fantasy and reality they'll be fine. Trust me.