When is the next name purge?

RaithHarth

But I did think it through, that's how ideas are formed together, you put one piece of the puzzle together to make another, but I guess this is the wrong forum anyways? This is where most of the trolls come together and target one particular individual for daring to make a suggestion, you are just too ignorant to listen to those ideals.

Why is it that some posters resort to insults and throwing about the word troll, when they don't get the response they want? If people disagree with you, it doesn't mean they're trolls. It just means your idea sucks.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to preface my statement here by saying I've only skimmed.

By what standard is it remotely fair to do a name purge with rules changed from when they were originally announced? Sounds like it'd screw over a lot of people who were operating under the previous rules and weren't expecting them to change, especially considering Bioware promised that active subscribers would not lose their names due to name purges.

I'm not setting any rules so I can take a name for myself, it's not about stealing a name that's not the case at all, All I'm just suggesting is some ideas where it's fair for everyone, if a username under lvl 50 isn't being used for a month (even as a subscriber) I think it's pretty fair to reset it especially when that name is barely untouchable and not put into it's full potential.

It sure seems like you are trying to set the rules so that you can take the name you want. Yiou may have edited your OP, but you forgot about some of the later posts. Allow me to quote you:

Because I checked to see if the name was still in use by adding the username to my friends list, it's been lvl 33 since last year.

If you didn't want to take the name, then why would you even worry about checking to see if it was still in use? If you didn't want to set the rules so that you can take that name, then why suggest that any name under level 50 be subject to being stolen, since any character over level 33 is protected?

You're starting to sound pretty defensive on this subject are you one of those guys that plays on destination server A and completely ignores those very same names on server B or C with names that aren't put to good use? that's such a shame.

You're suggesting that no name under level 50 should be protected and you want to try to turn this around to make someone else the bad guy? Nice try, but I think everyone will see right through that lame tactic.

I am among the players that does not have any unused characters sitting on names. I have a few characters that have not gained a single level in many months as they are used for gathering and crafting. Should the names of my characters below level 50 be subject to being stolen since they have not leveled in months, even though I log onto them at least two or three times a week?

I'm going to preface my statement here by saying I've only skimmed.

By what standard is it remotely fair to do a name purge with rules changed from when they were originally announced? Sounds like it'd screw over a lot of people who were operating under the previous rules and weren't expecting them to change, especially considering Bioware promised that active subscribers would not lose their names due to name purges.

That's what we've been asking the OP but apparently we're trolls or simply ignorant for gettin' the vibes he's sendin' dig? (sorry was channeling Luke Cage for a moment).

Still waiting for him to elaborate on how his idea is fair, just and right...but I'm not holding my breath. I expect more insults if anything.

Edited by wilsonstone

I think doing regular (as in quarterly or bi-annual) name purgers might be reasonable under the current guidelines.

I believe the proposed changes to the rules would do far more harm than good. Changing the rules to purge active subscribers would antagonize a large portion of the paying player base. Changing the level would discourage lapsed players from coming back. Purging every 2 weeks would penalize people who have real life obligations.

There are two types of names that I like.

1. Original names. Names no one else thought of and are completely unique.

2. Simple, recognizable names. A popular name that many people want but you snagged because you picked it first.

Both of those types of names scream individuality. The second one might not seem like it, but when only one person is allowed to have a common name, it becomes easily distinguishable from all the rest. It goes from "Wow... you're name's 'Revan' ... how original :\" to "Wow! I can't believe you managed to get the name 'Revan' without having to alter it!"

(Note I do not have any characters named Revan, that was just an example).

Anyway, my main character had to change their name way back when the servers merged. The person who has the same name as me has not logged on even once since that day. They are a level 50 commando, so they are out of Bioware's criteria... but the fact that they haven't played in a year and a half should count for something.

There are two types of names that I like.

1. Original names. Names no one else thought of and are completely unique.

2. Simple, recognizable names. A popular name that many people want but you snagged because you picked it first.

Both of those types of names scream individuality. The second one might not seem like it, but when only one person is allowed to have a common name, it becomes easily distinguishable from all the rest. It goes from "Wow... you're name's 'Revan' ... how original :\" to "Wow! I can't believe you managed to get the name 'Revan' without having to alter it!"

Anyway, my main character had to change their name way back when the servers merged. The person who has the same name as me has not logged on even once since that day. They are a level 50 commando, so they are out of Bioware's criteria... but the fact that they haven't played in a year and a half should count for something.

For someone with an RP Character made to look like Revan, having any Variation on the name is good enough to me.

I noticed there is still some names out there that aren't in use anymore, either they dropped their subs completely or they are playing on another server while still maintaining that name on another but aren't currently using it which is just silly.

Or they are a sub with lots of alts, created a character to reserve the name and have yet gotten around to leveling up that particular character. If they are subs, the name won't be freed up in a name purge anyway.

Or they are a sub with lots of alts, created a character to reserve the name and have yet gotten around to leveling up that particular character. If they are subs, the name won't be freed up in a name purge anyway.

I have a character with a variation of alt keys of Iron-Man on JC that I have not played in many months.

I think doing regular (as in quarterly or bi-annual) name purgers might be reasonable under the current guidelines.

You have to take in account that it would not only affect that one non-leveling character that has a name you may want, but it would affect everyone. The player that stopped playing for a break, or had something come up and didn't level or play the character, the person that has alts on other servers and hasn't played the character, etc. It would probably tick off more people than it would please.

(I don't mean 'you' personally in my statement).

That was basically my situation. I had a level 3 male consular, who had a handful of kick *** force users that all went bad. They were all named basic names, as they were a family. When you beta test and really like a game, an go through early access etc to establish your server presence as such, it seems idiotic to reserve those names on other servers. BUT, since every game does server merges (or masking the name like wow is doing), you sort of have to reserve names, or you more than likely will be out of luck. And this "destination" server mess is a garbage reason, since we've already had a "destination server" get punted.

Because I checked to see if the name was still in use by adding the username to my friends list, it's been lvl 33 since last year.

I have a lvl 30 for a long time. I may not play it, but that doesn`t mean I don`t play that account daily. Find your own damn name.

I have a lvl 30 for a long time. I may not play it, but that doesn`t mean I don`t play that account daily. Find your own damn name.

I'm almost interested in knowing what this oh-so-coveted name is. I'm betting its not anywhere near as super-kick-***-awesome as it would need to be.

I'm almost interested in knowing what this oh-so-coveted name is. I'm betting its not anywhere near as super-kick-***-awesome as it would need to be.

It`s not Revan, or Anakin, or Palpatine :) I`m ALMOST tempted to make a Darth'Blizz though :)

Edited by Styxx

You said that people who haven't played for ten days deserve to lose all their character names.

That's not making a legitimate suggestion, that's trolling. Or straight up being an idiot.

It might not always be a destination server. Point of reference, I have the same name on 6 servers... my non-main server toons have crew skills at 450 and roughly 45-50 mill credits per, used to farm GTN for those more desireables.

You are simply a troll. Bring me a muffin.

I honestly don't think the OP is a troll. Trolling this topic would take a little bit of creativity....and effort. What it looks like now is the OP wanted a name purge, was told various times the reasons why it was a bad idea and asked to justify his (or her?) belief that the current system is unfair.

Being unable to do that the OP then suggested a terrible idea on the naming policy and it was completely obvious that it was only so he (or she) could have their own way. When asked to explain how that would be fair to anyone the OP then decided to call everyone trolls and such and seemingly left in a huff. Presumably because theres no way to really explain the terrible idea as good without admitting it was self serving.

So no, I don't think this is a case of trolling. Its a case of someone being called on a terrible idea for a lame reason.

Edited by wilsonstone

So no, I don't think this is a case of trolling. Its a case of someone being called on a terrible idea for a lame reason.

Either way I think the OP owes us all pizza.

And to tell us the name he covets so desperately, so that everyone can squat on it.

Either way I think the OP owes us all pizza.

And to tell us the name he covets so desperately, so that everyone can squat on it.

Lol...I just thought of how funny it would be if I found out the character name in question belonged to one of my alts.

That or the owner has a lifetime membership.

Edited by wilsonstone

Lol...I just thought of how funny it would be if I found out the character name in question belonged to one of my alts.

That or the owner has a lifetime membership.

It`s not like he can`t ALT his way through it. Idiot is idiot, or entitled lil` nobody.

Edited by Styxx

Just guessing, but maybe this is the name in question: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729483

When I had a name I wanted but was already taken, I put the character on my friend list to see if they ever logged on (so that I could offer them money for said name) - little while later the character was no longer on my friend list, so I made a level 1 alt with that name >.>

Then we got the rename tokens, and now my 55 main has the name :3

Why doesn't OP just do that? I mean, the chances of it working out exactly like that again are pretty slim but it's better than creating a really stupid thread and having everyone make fun of you.

This entire thread is an outrage! I can't believe this guy gets to take my name just because he wants it. Who thought this was a good idea? I demand compensation in the form of companion shower sequences being added to strongholds. :t_evil:

It didn't start off as crazy as it became. In the first few pages I was really interested by the "you can tell if a person is using a character thing"...until I realized you really can't. The only thing you can tell by the friends list is the person's name if they're offline. So if the character in question from the OP was level 33 last time they were online theres no real way to tell if they're leveling or not.....unless you happen to be logged in the same time they are. (I tested this myself in the beginning. Offline friends don't show level. )

Though shower sequences would be acceptable. Like the "Woohoo" animation in the Sims.

Is getting a specific character name really this importand to people :rak_02:

To clarify: this is not sarcasm nor is it inteded to be offensive to anyone who lost/cant find their favorite/original character name.

I myself lost nearly all my character names in the two server merges, but I just cant imagine using them again. And not just because they now belong to someone else, but because those names I will never use again, those characters got a new wardrobe and a new name (some I deleted instead).

So if I had the chance to take back even one of those names, recreate my character with that name, I wouldn't do it.... that said, if anyone demanded one of my character names I wouldn't agree, haven't even used my free name-change tbh...

Say you got this name you so desperately want, would you truely be happy? whould the character that you lvled with the 'old' name still be yours? would it's personality stay the same? would it's look still reflect what you had in mind when you created it.... is it realy what you want? (if it is, perhaps you should take the sugesstion offered earlier and contact the person who has this name that you do desperately desire.)