Is Darth Malgus a member of the Dark Council?

Socialbob

While we usually recognise this Sith Lord as just a powerful Darth, there were lines in the game or just evidences that indicates he is a Dark Council member even for a short while.

There is a line from the Illum story mission where when you returned to Malgus he was recognized as a member of the Dark Council.

"You returned to Grand Moff Regus to find him in a heated discussion with Darth Malgus, a member of the Dark Council."

Source: The Old Republic: The Challenge of War

When Darth Arho died, Malgus inherited whatever resources Arho had to implement it for his fleet. It was the same for Darth Zhorrid immediately inheriting Jadus's seat and Imperial Intelligence itself. I believe when a Dark Council member dies, a Darth would immediately gain the title and the previous owner's resources.

But what do you think guys?

Malgus was never a council member, he was primarily an enforcer to oversee the wishes of the dark council. he was prominent on matters critical to the Empire until Ilum. He may of had some of Regus and all of Arho's resources, but that doesn't automatically give him the right to be a dark council member. Malgus however had his own plan and being a dark councillor was never on his agenda as witnessed at the end of Ilum, he wanted to skip a step and become emperor of a reinvisioned empire where aliens have a place in the ranks.

The thing with Malgus is that he was 61 when he made his move. Even if he were to have a place? that made him fairly old to be considered for the role where young Darth's plot to make their move up the ranks and gain a seat on the council. The Sith way is often unforgiving but the fact is that in another 10-15 years, Malgus simply won't have the ability to keep up with younger Darths who seek his position.

Malgus knew his time was running out and he needed to go out in a way that shows him to be a hero, loved by the imperials (human or alien alike) and hated by his enemies who speak well of his ability and strength in the force.

Edited by Celise

To be completely honest, I don't think he ever was, really. While some lines of dialogue suggest he may be, playing through the Illum questline on a Sith Inquisitor has a line of speech that suggests he isn't.

Paraphrasing, "I was sent here by the Dark Council."

SI: "I don't remember sending you."

It's been a while since I went through the story there, but I really don't think he is--we've seen many of the Dark Council, since they convened when you confront Darth Thanaton, and I don't see Malgus anywhere. It's Marr, Ravage, etc. But no Malgus.

Edited by Arumyr

To be completely honest, I don't think he ever was, really. While some lines of dialogue suggest he may be, playing through the Illum questline on a Sith Inquisitor has a line of speech that suggests he isn't.

Paraphrasing, "I was sent here by the Dark Council."

SI: "I don't remember sending you."

It's been a while since I went through the story there, but I really don't think he is--we've seen many of the Dark Council, since they convened when you confront Darth Thanaton, and I don't see Malgus anywhere. It's Marr, Ravage, etc. But no Malgus.

Yep, in none of the Dark Council meetings you see Malgus is there.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure Malgus was never in the Council. If I recall he was on Ilum because the Council had sent him, he was very influential but not a Councilor.

Malgus was never a council member

Malgus definitely was not on the Dark Council.

Except he was. One of the mission logs on Illum states that he's a member of the Dark Council.

https://imgur.com/a/ntHmG4t

Except he was. One of the mission logs on Illum states that he's a member of the Dark Council.

https://imgur.com/a/ntHmG4t

The Wookieepedia's page on Malgus notes it on sources that he was briefly a part of it, though the Dark Council's page hasn't listed him as a member of the DC. A small error on the part of developers or that he was very briefly part of the Council?

The Wookieepedia's page on Malgus notes it on sources that he was briefly a part of it, though the Dark Council's page hasn't listed him as a member of the DC. A small error on the part of developers or that he was very briefly part of the Council?

He was briefly a part of it. Though it's still odd since Malgus was supposed to be opposed to and was disgusted by the Dark Council's politics and their general squabbles.

He's coming back though, so there's a chance that they might explain more of it