How Important Are Key Bindings vs Point & Click?

MichaelSean

I'm a clicker because I'm left handed. Mouse in my left hand, directional movement with my right hand, i.e. forward/back/strafe left/strafe right with arrow keys. delete/end/page down are mapped for select closest enemy, leap to next target skill, and select closest party member. (depending on what class I'm playing)

Right handed people have ripped on me in the past, but WASD, the top number keys and F keys just don't work unless you're right handed. Sitting centered in front of your keyboard, try reaching over and WASD with your right hand. Imagine playing with your arm twisted like that whenever you play. It just doesn't work.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old dog here trying to learn a new trick.

For as long as I've been playing MMOs, I've been a point and clicker with regards to my primary powers. However, I've seen a few things online that have lead me to the conclusion that, while this works fine for PVE, for PVP play it's less than optimal. And I'm trying to up my game.

Since I just started playing TOR today, I thought what better time to try and relearn the way I've traditionally played? Only trouble is I'm having a hell of a time with it. I understand the theory that, the fewer the mouse clicks, and the more one does with their keyboard, the more mobility one has. And in PVP mobility = survivability.

That said, I find that when I try to use the 1-8 keys for my main powers, rather than my traditional point and click method, I'm more rooted than ever because I keep having to move my left hand all over the place. With my point and click method, my left hand is freed up to keep me more in constant motion. So it's having the opposite effect of what I intended.

I'm sure part of it is that I need more practice but, I'm curious, are hot keys THE definitive way to PVP or is point and click with the mouse viable? Thanks.

Rebind 6 and up as other things. Use can use alt+ (1-5), shift + (1-5), q, e, r, t, s, f, z, x, and alt/shift versions of those too.

I would say you can play this game 99% as good as clicker or binder

There are couple things you can do better as clicker in this game even, but if you want to be the best, binder is the way to go.

Love Fluffy

99%? No. Clicking is only ok for pve stuff. Anything pvp and clicking is terribad.

Edited by Smashbrother

99%? No. Clicking is only ok for pve stuff. Anything pvp and clicking is terribad.

The only reason people consider it "bad" is because they're not used to clicking, so when they do click, it becomes unnatural to them and their results are diminished. If you've always clicked, such becomes natural, and you results adjust accordingly.

I click. I'm not the best player, but I can certainly hold my own and perform as well as any other player. In a Novare match yesterday, I came out top in kills, tied for lowest number of deaths, second in total damage (beat out only be a smash monkey), and we won. Not perfect, but overall a respectable PVP showing for a physically handicapped old lady. (really)

Well I was a clicker in all single player rpg's, so I was quite comfortable with it. The problem with clicking and keyboard turning against other human players in an mmo is you will never, ever, EVER be as fast as someone who moves with the mouse. It's an indisputable fact no matter how you want to slice it. You can only turn at one speed with the keyboard, no more no less. When someone turns with a mouse (and usually has the mouse speed turned up all the way like I do), they can turn as slow or as fast as they want with a flick of the wrist.

If you are turning with the keyboard you will never face that enemy that is running in circles around you, he/she will always get their backstab/maul off at will . Even if they don't have a behind a target attack they will still want to position themselves behind you making it difficult for you to get any of your attacks off.

So that brings us to keybinding. By default, once you realize that mouse movement is more effective in pvp you won't have your mouse available to click. So you have to keybind or you have to stop moving to click your abilities.

Of course physical ailments aside, I give credit for anyone who has to keyboard turn and click because of something like that. But if you can get used to moving with your mouse, please do so. It takes a little practice but after about a half hour of doing this against trash pve mobs it will start coming naturally. Honest to God.

Signed,

A recovering keyboard turning clicker.

(I realize this is a necro but seeing how it's been bumped, ah what the hell.)

I prefer a hybrid of clicking and key binding (since I'm too poor to have a fancy shmancy mouse). I have all the abilities that are off the Global Cool Down key bound and all of the abilities that respect it in close enough proximity that I am able to reach them with great ease within the 1.5 seconds. Though plenty of epeens, err I mean people, will argue that a clicker can never beat a key-binder, I'm cool with my playsyle since i've yet to be 1v1'd

Question for all the pros out there:

I'm just learning this whole keybinding thing, should I re-bind my mouse keys so they turn my char? Cause the default is camera turn. I can't turn my char without pressing both mouse buttons and thus running forward at the same time. Suggestions?

Question for all the pros out there:

I'm just learning this whole keybinding thing, should I re-bind my mouse keys so they turn my char? Cause the default is camera turn. I can't turn my char without pressing both mouse buttons and thus running forward at the same time. Suggestions?

Holding left click turns the camera only, holding right click turns your character. Mostly you will be using the forward or strafe key on the keyboard to move but using your mouse to steer.

I switched from clicker to turner in Warhammer, and good lord I went from terribad to actually able to hold my own.

I know there are lots of people who swear by being a clicker. I have to type all day and so bindings work better for me. If it works for you, fine, but I have yet to see for myself anyone who can prove the 'best' clickers are any match for the 'best' binders.

The fact that a good player in an OP class who clicks can crush some scrub in greens means nothing at all.

My wife's a clicker. I'm a key binder. We each watch the other, shake our heads and say, "I don't know how you can play like that." I won't go over stuff that's already been said above other than to:

a) Say it ultimately depends on what you're most comfortable with (except that I'm right...sorry honey);

b) Agree that most of us are at least marginally hybrid, (I use a key for Force Camo for threat dump vs. clicking if I'm timing it for mob avoidance. My wife clicks everything, but has her interrupt key bound.); and

c) Agree that even we key binders have to keep an eye on those quick bar icons to see if something critical is off cool down (come on Merciless and Dispatch!).

I'd also like to add one thing I didn't see discussed above. If you're going to work key binds into your game play, try to assign things with a similar function to the same key across alts. I hit the same key for my Sentinel's stun droid, my Sage's force lift and my boy's Trooper's concussive round. That way there's no confusion; if I want to drop a CC on something, I know what key to hit. Similarly I've got my Sentinel's Awe, the Trooper's Diversion, and my Sage's Cloud Mind on the same key. There won't always be direct equivalents, but looking for and using similarities helps (e.g. I use C, V, F, R for my core rotation and X for my top tier ability on all of them).

Old dog here trying to learn a new trick.

For as long as I've been playing MMOs, I've been a point and clicker with regards to my primary powers. However, I've seen a few things online that have lead me to the conclusion that, while this works fine for PVE, for PVP play it's less than optimal. And I'm trying to up my game.

Since I just started playing TOR today, I thought what better time to try and relearn the way I've traditionally played? Only trouble is I'm having a hell of a time with it. I understand the theory that, the fewer the mouse clicks, and the more one does with their keyboard, the more mobility one has. And in PVP mobility = survivability.

That said, I find that when I try to use the 1-8 keys for my main powers, rather than my traditional point and click method, I'm more rooted than ever because I keep having to move my left hand all over the place. With my point and click method, my left hand is freed up to keep me more in constant motion. So it's having the opposite effect of what I intended.

I'm sure part of it is that I need more practice but, I'm curious, are hot keys THE definitive way to PVP or is point and click with the mouse viable? Thanks.

I've tried using he standard wasd keys for moving and the nearby keys for abilities, but it didnt do much for me.

Instead I've gotten used to using TY for strafing, 6 for autorun, and using all nearby keys for abilities, including weruio789asdfcxbnm,hjkl. add ALT-gr modifier, mouse buttons & wheel and Ive got all keybinds I need. I run either with autorun or by holding down both mouse buttons. I've got my ring finger and middle finger on strafe buttons always, while easily reaching the other keyinds with the rest of my finger family, thumb for ALT Gr.

This works great for me, but I can see how it might sound really strange to most people.

Give it a shot if you've tried everything else ;)