Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hero Engine was chosen by BioWare because at the time it was all the talk of the idiots at E3 who even managed to give a Best in Show award to the game it was developed for - Hero's Journey - which turned out to be complete vaporware. The Hero Engine was designed by a game company, Simutronics, which is almost entirely a text-based MUD game designer with no experience in graphical MMO's.

The Hero Engine is and was nothing more than a money-making scheme for Simutronics and Hero's Journey turned out to be nothing more than a slick way to sell the game engine. It is still knocking about, still vaporware too, at a German company now. But that company is run by the ex-CFO of Simutronics and that tells you all you need to know about what is really going on with it.

Not quite. Hero's Journey was more of an excuse for engine beta testers. I should know, I was one of them. I left about 1-2 months in when it was painfully obvious that the game was nothing but vaporware, and an excuse to work on the game engine itself.

The engine is amazing. User friendly, highly customizable, and specifically designed for MMORPGs, unlike some engines. Runs great if you have the specs, runs like crap if you don't...just like any game.

too bad they didn't let their devs write their own engine. im sure they would have had a blast doing it. the game would have been so much better than it is. more and more im viewing this game as yet another cash in on the star wars franchise.

Not quite. Hero's Journey was more of an excuse for engine beta testers. I should know, I was one of them. I left about 1-2 months in when it was painfully obvious that the game was nothing but vaporware, and an excuse to work on the game engine itself.

The engine is amazing. User friendly, highly customizable, and specifically designed for MMORPGs, unlike some engines. Runs great if you have the specs, runs like crap if you don't...just like any game.

Well, something is giving me 15 fps in warzones, and it isn't my specs.

ahh the hero engine, putting out top notch games such as the following:

Faxion Online

Star Wars: The Old Republic from BioWare

Hero's Journey - Company's game the engine was developed for.

Origins - Developed by Burning Dog

Prime: Battle For Dominus by PitchBlack Games

The Repopulation - Being developed by Above and Beyond Technologies

Visions of Zosimos by Forever Interactive

Bar starwars, I have never heard any of those games before. lol.

"Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision."

wait blizzard made billions before WoW came out????? really? why didnt anybody tell me? ***?

The hero engine is likely why this game will fail. I'm almost positive the hero engine is to blame for the ability delay which would mean the delay is pretty much unfixable. And if that issue is not fixed within a couple weeks, thousands will quit.

Wow... we sure have alot of professional programmers here. You really are programmers yes? Because otherwise theres no way you can tell what can and cant be done with this engine.

From the year i studied programming i learned that everything is possible and theres always a way to make your code more eficient. Maybe its the engine, or maybe its just a design choice they chose to rectify? We cant really tell until bioware tells us. :)

I roflmao'd at this. Bioware should hire you the expert with your massive 1 year of theoretical experience. You'd show them all how it's done!

The Hero engine came with the promise of many people editing a world in real time. Placing unit spawn, timer events, and environment object. Bioware most likely bought the sales pitch and figured they could focus on story and other aspects they felt were more worthy of their time. It wasn't till basically too late when they noticed that the real time editing of the world basically wasn't possible at the scale they wanted.

This was probably a major reason for much of the delay.

The hero engine is likely why this game will fail. I'm almost positive the hero engine is to blame for the ability delay which would mean the delay is pretty much unfixable. And if that issue is not fixed within a couple weeks, thousands will quit.

ability delay?!?! when did this happen? i havnt had an ability delay? plays like any other game to me. are you sure you guys arnt just spoiled????

Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, EA and BW make enough, you could have outsourced your Engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision.

Why?

You know that developing your own engine could take years... right? It was a smart thing to use another engine. Most games use UT3.

Please learn game development before you spout useless garbage like this.

Thank you.

ability delay?!?! when did this happen? i havnt had an ability delay? plays like any other game to me. are you sure you guys arnt just spoiled????

I sometimes wonder if the five 500+ page threads we've had on the subject since beta are just invisible to everyone but me.

Yea, I was just going to say that Warhammer ended up the same way (although I think that engine is even WORSE).

I do like some things about this engine (cutscenes with DOF, some textures, water, etc look great); but for the most part.... meh.com

Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, EA and BW make enough, you could have outsourced your Engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision.

Why?

It was cheap, had to cut corners somehow to make up for the money they spent on voice actors.

lol.

I didn't know that.

Really???All this money invested and they didn't make their own engine??

As I said before.

WE GOT A LOT OF VOICE OVER MATE;);););)

P.s.apparently to make your own game engine you need over a billion dollars.

But they could spend only 200+million.:p:p:p:p:p:eek: