Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

This is actually going to get plenty of subs, not to mention I will finally get my friends to play! There's one thing I want to mention though...if there's going to be lots of customizable armor bought by cartel coins or by other means then I want the cost for extracting mods either completely gone or majorly reduced...if there's some armor that looks cooler than my WH gear and I want to use that armor then it's going to cost WAY too much credits to get all my mods in there. Most lvl 50 players will not be able to afford that much.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.

LEGO Universe. Took a F2P method and the regular sub was only $10 instead of $15 and they went under pretty bad.

I will definitely enjoy F2P, because I will no longer be paying.

Your sig

GeorgZoeller: "If we ever reach the point where every class thinks they are completely balanced and everything is great, I'll take the red pill and unplug from the matrix."

Georg abandoned ship, along with the executive producer

YOU JUST DESTROYED THIS GAME!!!!!! This game had so much promise but not anymore. I haven't been this mad in a long long time. Now I am simple outraged. Pathetic, Greedy, Insane and so many other word and most not even worth stating here!!! I can just picture it now.. all my hard work completely worthless as you turn all those achievements in a meaningless labor especially when you will of course be adding the store to buy in game material. I can only think of one game that is free to play and not 100% laughable. and even then those free to play games reek of nothing but greed from the game company.. how can we take advantage of the fan base to get as much money as possible without very really offering anything of substance. this is just disgraceful. And a slap in the face.

Daniel Erickson and the rest of the team that wants this should be immediately fired.... While I personally bear them no ill will they are leading this game into the ground and cleaning out the people who are letting this happen is probably the only way to save this game..

Personally I feel like all hope is lost and will probably never support bioware again.

Somebody please tell me this is just a dream.

Ok so, does this mean new content is never coming?? is new content just going to be premium pets, potions, weapons, lollipops and so on??? Will we ever see same gender relationships (and would it be "pay for gay"??)??? Can we expect new class content??

sigh, well, having played World Of Tanks for well over a year, I can say that F2P works. However, what bothers me is the lack of trust in the SW fanbase. Me, being an avid fan for as long as I remember, feel a tad cheated tbh, since I never gave a second thought to paying for a game/story/environment I enjoy. Now tell me why I should bother paying for Ops/Flashpoints if I already have all the gear? What makes BW/EA think that I'll spend a cent on the game if my "deluxe" edition is the same as a troll that subs just to flame in here how awesome GW2 or WoW is? Wanna make sure that the general chat becomes even more annoying, that the pvp worlds are full of tarded trolls that have no better idea than to grief the proper fanbase? Nice move. Maybe you should have consulted the true fanbase that is keeping this game alive before making a decision.

I understand the business model, but don't expect me to support this distrust in my subscription as a fan. Look at EVE. It survived all these years with only 400k subscribers and won't go away for a long long time to come, and not even once have they announced any F2P option. Because they want to keep the fanbase that keeps the game alive. Instead, you tried to mimic WoW, a stereotypical MMO that has nothing to offer in terms of a storyline, and in failing to achieve that, you drop everything the true fans hoped for, and go for a model that does exactly what to support the paying subscribers?? These true fans were the ones that still stuck around when the majority of your servers were barren. Dissapointed.

Cartel Coins will buy vanity items. They have no impact on the gameplay itself, etc.

You have unrestricted access to the actual gameplay. :D

No impact on gameplay? "Vanity" items are just as much gameplay items as anything else. Or are the social outfits currently in the game not actually real?

No impact on gameplay? "Vanity" items are just as much gameplay items as anything else. Or are the social outfits currently in the game not actually real?

Fair enough, they made changes to the social outfits that made them semi-useful.

But that's part of the unrestricted.

The vendor, I'm sure, will have vanity items that aren't in normal gameplay.

If the subscribers have unrestricted access to everything what do they need cartel coins for???

I hope you don't expect to recieve via mail each and every piece of customization they add to the game shop (my cargo hold is already filled as it is). I guess we'll have to "buy" them with the coins provided through the subscription.

My disappointment at this news cannot be conveyed with words.

sigh, well, having played World Of Tanks for well over a year, I can say that F2P works. However, what bothers me is the lack of trust in the SW fanbase. Me, being an avid fan for as long as I remember, feel a tad cheated tbh, since I never gave a second thought to paying for a game/story/environment I enjoy. Now tell me why I should bother paying for Ops/Flashpoints if I already have all the gear? What makes BW/EA think that I'll spend a cent on the game if my "deluxe" edition is the same as a troll that subs just to flame in here how awesome GW2 or WoW is? Wanna make sure that the general chat becomes even more annoying, that the pvp worlds are full of tarded trolls that have no better idea than to grief the proper fanbase? Nice move. Maybe you should have consulted the true fanbase that is keeping this game alive before making a decision.

I understand the business model, but don't expect me to support this distrust in my subscription as a fan. Look at EVE. It survived all these years with only 400k subscribers and won't go away for a long long time to come, and not even once have they announced any F2P option. Because they want to keep the fanbase that keeps the game alive. Instead, you tried to mimic WoW, a stereotypical MMO that has nothing to offer in terms of a storyline, and in failing to achieve that, you drop everything the true fans hoped for, and go for a model that does exactly what to support the paying subscribers?? These true fans were the ones that still stuck around when the majority of your servers were barren. Dissapointed.

I agree completely with both of these quotes above.

Edited by Chuffed

If you're a naysayer for a free to play option, i encourage you to look at other mmorpg's that have already gone f2p. The majority of them have good revenue and profit, the ones that don't, aren't that great a game in the first place.

If you have a quality product people will come around, we are suckers that way. We want what feels good, and if the thought we are saving money gets more people to play, then more power to BioWARE. This will encourage many players to actually sub to the game to feel like they get more than those little f2p 'kids'. It's win/win no matter how you look at it, and if you can't understand that then the mmo market will not be for you much longer.

Even Blizzard will not be able to resist f2p for long.

Probably will be more social outfits, maybe pets, mounts, future purchasing of content without real money. The options are limitless!

Fun stuff, or if they do not wish to purchase expansions with real money.

really we can pay for expansions with the cartel coin system i don't think that will happen we better not have to pay for updates and patches and crap if so that will kill this game for me

Our team is extremely excited about this new plan.

Keep telling yourself this ...and your team. We all know what it means, we been warning you for 7 months...

We are working hard and having a lot of fun preparing new content and items for the game.

Translation, we are tying to stop this ship from sinking, we hope you will buy this new hat or monocle next week.

We believe that this is the right direction for our game – more choices, more options and more ways to customize your play experience to suit your play-style.

Instead of giving you what you already paid for and are still paying for we are gonna spend your money putting more ""Buy Cartel Coins"" buttons in the game.

We want to be able to keep our fans excited, engaged and having fun every time you login.

Translation: We want you to keep spending more money then normal and the f2p people we hope beat some cash out of also.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts, suggestions and feedback.

No you don't ... or maybe you do. But if you don't listen or act on it.. guess what.

Thanks for your support over the last seven months. We have the best fans in the business!

Yeah.. sure..

May the Force be With You.

You need it more then us ... start updating your CV sunshine. :p

Seeing this game is soon f2p, I'll just cancel now. No biggy right, as this is a direction you and your team are so excited about.

Yeah i was wondering about that as well. I spent over 80 bucks on this game for the deluxe edition . I should be getting the same treatment as collectors edition or at least 700 additional cartel coins for my loyalty to the franchise.

So... all the people that purchased the collector edition, get extra items and so on. ...but what about the people who purchased the the digital deluxe edition? are they being put into the same category as those who purchased the standard version of the game?

I'm...uneasy about the change. I don't think it's something to condemn SWTOR or Bioware for because F2P is the new industry standard. I mean look at a game like League of Legends. It's doing so well that HoN has followed suit.

Instead of getting swept up in the immediate aftermath to react, I think it's best we wait and see what happens. At least I know that as a poor college student I'll always be able to play.

Thanks Bioware, you officially gave me a reason to go buy GW2.

All I can say is your company is short sighted, unskilled, and simply bad at what your supposed to be doing for this game. You drove away most of your players that you had from this game, by not listening to beta testers who told you over and over that V/O wasn't going to sell your game to the majority of the MMO community(they don't care about it prove me wrong, go look at your statistics and see how many of us spacebar through this crap you spent all your money on during development). You failed to create a combat system that was free of major ability delay, the animations were cool, but many lackluster and boring. You failed to created meaningful and good PvP, you failed at creating good endgame PvE content.

Your final mistake is not even trying to make the sub model work, and making it apparent to all of us that have stayed subbed through the dark days of dead servers, that you don't care about the money we gave you, you are a greedy fat person at a buffet always going for more. In other words your slapping those of us that have stuck w/ you in the face.

This will be the last month I sub to SWTOR, I am going to GW2, and whatever MMO's come along after that I will never give Bioware or EA another dime of my money for any game.

To everyone at Bioware you are terrible MMO developers, stay out of this industry, never come back, just close the game in November, it will go down as a bigger success than the F2P garbage you are introducing.

FAIL BIOWARE FAIL.

No Fanbois can save you now Bioware your game's going to crash and burn like the crapfest it is.

The reality is your game is so bad in it's current state that even as F2P there are so many better options.

What sets your game apart atm only thing is V/O and all next gen MMO's have it so have fun failing BioFail.

Much Hate thanks for giving up on us, we didn't give up on you.......

I find it completely hard to believe that you aren't covering operating costs w/ 20 heavy-very heavy servers every night, it just shows your greedy, and don't know how to tell your bosses at EA NO and that your players will revolt at this idea.

Keep failing BioFail it's what you are good at......

really we can pay for expansions with the cartel coin system i don't think that will happen we better not have to pay for updates and patches and crap if so that will kill this game for me

I'm only going on what I've seen in other f2p mmorpg's. LotRO, DDO, and others all have structured f2p ingame stores that you earn points (cartel coins) to purchase new content or mounts. Frivolous items that don't make this a pay to win store system.

Also expansions will always be bought, p2p or not. The content patches you will probably haveto buy if you're not subbed.

Edited by Nohonor

SWTOR, will cancel my subscription when this occurs, as will many of my guildie's, was hoping to think this game was going to survive, it might- but not with my help. I will start to look for another game to play, will not be this part of this EPIC FAIL event.