Species Analysis: Taung

So if you remember in this thread, Wolf gave a glimpse into a species less well known in the galaxy. He also said He'd probably not do many of those threads. So while Wolf did his favorite species, I have chosen to start with mine and take up the species threads.

"When the dawn came the Zhell awakened and saw the Taungs upon the high place and were afraid, for the morning light caught the glint of helms and weapons and created phantom warriors, made of dazzle and distance. But the cleverest of them were not deceived, and saw how few we were. And so they assembled without haste, merry in mockery, and prepared to march. And in the high place we awaited death."

―Basic-translated excerpt from the ninth chapter of the

Dha Werda Verda

Now believed extinct, the Taung were a warrior race originating on Coruscant. There they fought the humans of the Battalions of Zhell until their eventual defeat and exile to the Outer Rim planet of Roon. Here they remained, until Te Sol'yc Mand'alor (Mandalore the First) lead them off planet to conquer a new homeworld. They would come upon their new home and name it Mandalore in honor of their leader. Once on the planet, they set upon the native Mythosaurs and tested their strength fighting and killing these massive predators. After this they came upon the Mandellian Giants, and were so impressed with their specie's strength and prowess that they included them in the Mandalorian culture. They would later ally themselves with Exar Kun during the Great Sith War and fight against the Republic in the Mandalorian Wars.

Manda'yaim kandosii adu.

Duum motir ca'tra nau tracinya.

Gra'tua cuun hett su dralshy'a.

―part of the

Dha Werda Verda chant in Mandalorian

Their society was extremely war-like. From the dawn of their recorded history to their supposed extinction they participated in many wars and conquest, always seeking new challenges. Even their great cultural works are rooted in war and conflict as seen in "Dha Werda Verda". They were typically tall, about 2 meters, and strong humanoid simians with grey skin and yellow eyes. The Taung were ruthless, but intelligent. They proved a very pragmatic species and often used their conquests as a means to obtain technology. Despite this looting, they often lacked suitable armament and therefore maintained a tradition of unarmed combat at times, seeing it as a test of one's prowess.

"It's my belief that 'Rage of the Shadow Warriors' dates from the reign of Mandalore the Ultimate, when the Taungs knew they were being eclipsed. I've always thought it a poignant work—a plea that the Taungs not be forgotten by the newborn culture they knew would outlive them."

As they left Roon and took Mandalore for their own, something changed. While still war-like, they became accepting of other species such as the Mandellian Giants, as long as they proved to be exceptional warriors. Those who were not or fought to the death, were often exterminated as was the case with the Nevoota. Mandalorian society became a meritocracy without exceptions of species and they worshipped war. With a fiery spirit the Taung brought their warrior skills to the rest of the galaxy and became well known as some of the fiercest warriors in existence, but honor bound and very much tied to family as outlined in the Canons of Honor. Clans arose and the more modern Mandalorian society began to emerge with influences from species the galaxy over pouring in. All this occured sometime between the Conquest of Mandalore and the Great Sith Wars.

Over time though, their warrior ways brought their decline as did the influx of other species. After Revan devastated the Mandalorian forces at Malachor V, it was believed the Taung had disappeared as a species. Though Canderous Ordo of Clan Ordo would find one of the last Taung alive but dying a few years after Malachor, it is believed they have since gone extinct.

"In five millennia, the Mandalorians fought with and against a thousand armies on a thousand worlds. They learned to speak as many languages and absorbed weapons technology and tactics from every war. And yet, despite the overwhelming influence of alien cultures, and the absence of a true homeworld and even species, their own language not only survived but changed little, their way of life and their philosophy remained untouched, and their ideals and sense of family, of identify, of nation, were only strengthened."

―Mandalorians: Identity and Language

Their legacy lives on in the form of the Mandalorian society that they built. Based extremely heavily on the Taung's society, the Mandalorians would continue their warrior traditions for millennia to come and carry on the stories, songs, and honor of a long-dead species that in its own way shaped the very foundations of the galaxy.

Image of a Taung

The Taung vs. the Battalions of Zhell

Notable Taung:

• Te Sol'yc Mandalore (Mandalore the First)
  • Mandalore the Ultimate
  • Mandalore the Indomitable
  • Rexutu

Disclaimer: This is not an analysis of the Mandalorian Culture by any stretch of the imagination. I'd need a hell of a lot more time and energy for that. This deals with the Taung, yes I know I left out a lot on the Mandalorians... Links are included for anyone who'd like to know more about anything in particular.

Edited by StarSquirrel