jedi forbids love and marriage?

dprijadi

correct me if im wrong but is the jedi code forbids love between man and woman ? also forbid formal marriage?

is jedi a lifetime rank? i mean if a jedi quits then he become just another civilian and can marry? or jedi is bound to the code as long as he lives?

correct me if im wrong but is the jedi code forbids love between man and woman ? also forbid formal marriage?

is jedi a lifetime rank? i mean if a jedi quits then he become just another civilian and can marry? or jedi is bound to the code as long as he lives?

Im just going to say Anakin Skywalker

Jedi can retire and have families, but most Jedi stay in the order their entire lives. By the time they leave, they will be too old to raise a family. But it's not unheard of for Jedi ti marry while in active duty. You have to receive blessing from the Jedi Council, but it's a tough sell. Only Jedi who have proven they can handle the feelings and burdens love brings are able to marry. It's a very strict process.

Jedi can retire and have families, but most Jedi stay in the order their entire lives. By the time they leave, they will be too old to raise a family. But it's not unheard of for Jedi ti marry while in active duty. You have to receive blessing from the Jedi Council, but it's a tough sell. Only Jedi who have proven they can handle the feelings and burdens love brings are able to marry. It's a very strict process.

any example of jeddi marriage besides anakon? in the comics , satele shan have an affair with someone and bore achild, but because she is afraid of the jedi , she abandon the son.

do the lore also state that a jedi can quit jedi order , but still retain his lightsaber and his force powers even in civilian life?

Jolee Bindo retired from the order (self exile) and kept his lightsaber, but never progressed past padawan. He married Nayama, without having the Council's wishes, because although it was frowned upon it was not outright banned.

However, he did not enter exile with her as she died during the war with Exar Kun, having turned to the dark side.

Satele wasn't afraid of the other Jedi and she willingly gave the child up as the Order dictated. If anything she can be described as the embodiment of a true Jedi, a little too detached for my tastes.

Edited by DeutschGamer

They don't really forbid those two things. They just don't want their fellow jedi, going into darkside rage mode because their wife/husband was killed or their son/daughter was killed or what have you. So they fear the consequences of those things, making them have to forbid it.

Count Dooku was a Jedi but he left the order, once that happens you can do as you like, is not like there is a Jedi police that goes around making sure ex members do not marry or something. The thing you can not expect to do is stay a member of the Jedi Order while violating their principles one of them being that you can't marry.

From the Jedi Knight story line and Kira romance arc, it was not something I would put up with. But then again, I am soooo sick of the Jedi Council MISINTERPRETING the Code that it isn't even funny. The original Jedi Code was one of the very few things George Lucas actually nixed in the Expanded Universe. It wasn't restrictively worded enough for him, so he had them change the "yet" into "There Is No". If taken in the most literal sense, as the Jedi Councils ALWAYS seem to do, it basically turns a person into a droning robot. It's unnatural and, IMO, immoral.

In fact, there was a line in Green Lantern about the Guardians of the Universe that mirrors almost exactly a line about the Jedi Council. "They pride themselves on having no fear, yet they act out of fear." I am paraphrasing since I don't have the issue handy, but I believe it was Sinestro who said it. The same can be said of those self-righteous hypocrites on the Jedi Council. They ban everything because they fear it. Yet, there is no fear, since fear is an emotion. It's in the Jedi code. :p

From the Jedi Knight story line and Kira romance arc, it was not something I would put up with. But then again, I am soooo sick of the Jedi Council MISINTERPRETING the Code that it isn't even funny. The original Jedi Code was one of the very few things George Lucas actually nixed in the Expanded Universe. It wasn't restrictively worded enough for him, so he had them change the "yet" into "There Is No". If taken in the most literal sense, as the Jedi Councils ALWAYS seem to do, it basically turns a person into a droning robot. It's unnatural and, IMO, immoral.

In fact, there was a line in Green Lantern about the Guardians of the Universe that mirrors almost exactly a line about the Jedi Council. "They pride themselves on having no fear, yet they act out of fear." I am paraphrasing since I don't have the issue handy, but I believe it was Sinestro who said it. The same can be said of those self-righteous hypocrites on the Jedi Council. They ban everything because they fear it. Yet, there is no fear, since fear is an emotion. It's in the Jedi code. :p

Totally Odan-Urr's fault. >.>

The original code also flowed better.

its not encouraged, but its not like they'll hunt you down if you do.

the only time they step in is when stuff starts going bad.

like if a jedi got secretly married to someone, then 5 - 10 years later the council finds out, but you're still a perfectly fine jedi who's not falling to the dark side or anything, i doubt they'd do anything about it. maybe yell at you a bit.

its better to look at the jedi code and rules more like guidelines than strict rules you must follow.

any example of jeddi marriage besides anakon? in the comics , satele shan have an affair with someone and bore achild, but because she is afraid of the jedi , she abandon the son.

do the lore also state that a jedi can quit jedi order , but still retain his lightsaber and his force powers even in civilian life?

An example of a Council approved marriage may be Galan Marek's parents, as TFU is set only a few years after Episode III and Galan was a child, but this is pure player speculation here.

For your second question, I think this post said it best:

Jolee Bindo retired from the order (self exile) and kept his lightsaber, but never progressed past padawan. He married Nayama, without having the Council's wishes, because although it was frowned upon it was not outright banned.

However, he did not enter exile with her as she died during the war with Exar Kun, having turned to the dark side.

Satele wasn't afraid of the other Jedi and she willingly gave the child up as the Order dictated. If anything she can be described as the embodiment of a true Jedi, a little too detached for my tastes.

Luke Skywalker's Jedi Order in the EU didn't have this restriction, because he also disagreed with it.

Luke was sitting in his and Mara's bedroom one night going over all the old Rules and Regulations from previous Jedi Orders when he came upon the data file regarding the banning of love and marriage. He looked over at Mara who had just gotten out of the shower, smiled, and quickly hit the DELETE button on that file.

;)

its so un jedi like.. reporting on your colleagues

You must of not actually listed to any of the VO work for that quest then.

It was quite clear that those two were no where nearly ready for any kind of relationship, they were already starting to twist the jedi teachings and code to suit their desires. The girl was clearly already starting down the path of the Dark Side because of her emotions.

They were also padawans, and not full Jedi Knights, so they still had much to learn and prove.

It's amazing how many people play though that quest yet don't actually pay any attention to what is really going on, or why you're doing what you are doing.

BTW the Sith method of dealing with a situation like that would of been to kill both of them, and take the price she was offering.

Luke was married and it's not even so unheard some jedis having kids. Like Bastila and Revan married and had children. As you know Satele Shan is a descendent of Bastila. Not sure if they did quit Order but all this happened anyway. No doubt there have been a lot cases.

If you would literally follow Jedi code you would never have passions so you wouldn't really feel anything to anyone. There have been some jedi who have gone that far but that kinda blinds them from real sense justice when they allways just do it as it seem to be correct.

I'm not sure how force affects on these feeling matters. As it can corrupt you if you give in to your passions. Does force somehow guide with it and how it affects if you are more or less strong with force if it even matters. Or is it just more about character?

They don't really forbid those two things. They just don't want their fellow jedi, going into darkside rage mode because their wife/husband was killed or their son/daughter was killed or what have you. So they fear the consequences of those things, making them have to forbid it.

Perfectly explained. So long as you can handle the death of your loved ones and don't mix love with lust, it's all right to love, marry, have sex, orgies and whatever.

the most stupid or scary quest in jedi starting area is the one the was given by 2 old jedi masters who want me to spy on 2 lovers,,

its so un jedi like.. reporting on your colleagues.. its more like sith mission

Well, if you rat them out, you get LS points but you still feel like a snitch. But if you LIE to the Masters, you take a DS hit. Now, there is a way to make it a wash as far as LS/DS goes. Lie to the Masters, then go back and talk them out of their relationship. Same LS/DS gain cancels each other out.

Luke was married and it's not even so unheard some jedis having kids. Like Bastila and Revan married and had children. As you know Satele Shan is a descendent of Bastila. Not sure if they did quit Order but all this happened anyway. No doubt there have been a lot cases.

If you would literally follow Jedi code you would never have passions so you wouldn't really feel anything to anyone. There have been some jedi who have gone that far but that kinda blinds them from real sense justice when they allways just do it as it seem to be correct.

I'm not sure how force affects on these feeling matters. As it can corrupt you if you give in to your passions. Does force somehow guide with it and how it affects if you are more or less strong with force if it even matters. Or is it just more about character?

I do believe something was said somewhere about Revan and Bastila handing in their two weeks notice to the Jedi before they officially hooked up, just so they wouldn't have to go through all the garbage regs as to getting married.

Maybe not, but it makes sense. :D

The jedi order by the time of the Clone wars had forbid its members to wed or have children of their own.

HOWEVER

It has not always been like that, there history of the jedi is littered with stories and characters who wed and had children while still being members of the order.

So jedi even married other jedi and had children of their own. By the time of the cold war there have been and are still many Famous jedi families.

One of the more famous accounts of this is when Andur Sunrider a jedi knight killed by gangsters only to have his wife Nomi Sunrider take his light saber and defend her and her child. Nomi Sunrider would latter become one of the most famous jedi masters of the time.

IIRC the Rogue Planet novel features a female Jedi who married and had several children. There's a brief note about it being highly discouraged, but not technically against the rules.

About Revan and Bastila, they married and had a child while they were still in the order. The Order pretty much hated them though and only let them stay because they didn't think they could take the PR hit from booting the galaxy's hero out of the club. It's not obvious if this is primarily about the marriage or just his philosophy of the force (using emotions for good purposes).

Nejaa Halcyon (Corran Horn's biological grandfather) married presumably with the council's permission since his son, Valin "Hal" Horn, is his apprentice.

There are tons of post New Republic examples with the New Jedi Order, but Luke made up his own rules.

Edited by VerrKol

I can't remember where I read it, but it was about attachment. Jedi are constantly on the move. Even there are a million plus Jedi, the galaxy is huge and there is always some conflict that needs mediating. I don't think they are forbidden from sex however. They might make trips to Ryloth from time to time. Maybe there is a brothel in the temple.

i dont understand the fear of love. jefi fears something bad going to happen in love

The Jedi fear everything. They claim otherwise, but it's obvious. Thanks to George Lucas's view on black and white, there are no shades of grey in the Star Wars universe, except what exist in the ExU.