A plea for help: What's in a name?

TheKnightHawk

The OP summed up how I feel pretty well. However, what I find just a bit odd is that the two characters of mine whose names are taken on the destination server, The Ebon Hawk, aren't exactly common names.

This isn't some kind of superhero MMO where only one of each name can (or should) exist, guys. This is an MMO based on a more realistic IP where characters tend to use their real names, which there can be more than one of in existence during the same time period. Sheesh.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

Wow... didn't realize that so many people had so much to say about the subject. Forgive me for making a condensed response here...

To the suggestion that I change the spelling or add hyphens or apostrophes: To me, that's about on the same level as being "JohnSmith234673" on Facebook. It doesn't look right and it makes the name seem like a copycat of the other player. I was here making a character right at the very start of the game. I didn't wait around for it to get cheaper, I early adopted. Why should I constantly confronted with evidence to the contrary?

About sending an ingame e-mail to the player: Yes, I did that. But if the person isn't actually using the character (which is what I'm hoping for) he won't actually see the e-mail, hence my post here. He (or she) hasn't responded yet, so there's a chance that the name is just sitting idle and the owner wouldn't mind parting with it. I really don't have any other way of getting in touch with the player, as Bioware has designed the system so that this kind of contact between players is next to impossible. I couldn't look up the player's main character (to send an in-game e-mail there) nor can I send any mail directly to the player's legacy, which I don't know. I just have to hope that the Ebon KH player sees this thread, or someone who knows the player does. Or Bioware could grant my request and help me out.

To the idea that this request is a bit much to expect from Bioware, as it would be impossible to do for everyone: Well, it might be a bit much to expect, but I haven't got any other chance of having it happen. And frankly, given the way they designed the system, and given the number of upset people they've apparantly created with these server transfers, I would think they'd want to do everything they can to keep their customers in the game.

Continued next post....

To the idea that I could use my name as a legacy name instead: That's an interesting possiblitly. It's a bit of a compromise, but I could see my way to doing it. I'm not really sure what my new first name would be, but maybe I'll be able to think of something good that hasn't already been taken by the flood of people who just got dumped on the Ebon server. The problem is, though, that I already transferred a character over to the server just to make sure my legacy name wasn't taken (because Bioware refused my request to check and see if the name was taken). I just sent a customer service request to Bioware to ask them to reset the legacy name so that I could try out my name instead (if it happens to not be taken, which is a possibility). I'm not sure how responsive they are to requests like that.

In response to those who have been kicked around and are canceling (or thinking of canceling) their subscriptions: I feel your pain. I don't feel this whole server transfer thing has been handled well, especially in regards to the RP servers, where character matters more than elsewhere, but that are being slashed down to a single server in each region. I'd really like to know more about what the future holds for these servers where there are people still desperately hanging on, but Bioware doesn't want to discuss it, apparantly, and would prefer to spring it on us as a surprise.

To JetAlmeara: Your post about hanging on to your server just made me feel inspired and sad. I almost wish I could join you on Rubat to bravely wait out the end.

To those who just don't get my attachment to the name: That's okay, I realize that I'm a bit more character-centric than the average non-RP player. But for me, one of the reasons I like this game (and the Old Republic game series in general) is the serious investment in storytelling and character. These are the kind of things that draw me into a game. Bioware pulled up a chair, asked me to make a character with hopes and dreams, with fears and loves, and make him my very own. Now they're playing musical chairs and I'm not sure there'll be seats left for all of us when the game is done.

Hope that addresses most of what everyone said. I really wasn't trying to stir up controversey... just hoping to get an answer from Bioware (whose customer service responses never address the real question I'm asking) and maybe possibly get in touch with the Ebon KH player. Best of luck to all of you on your new servers, on your old servers, or in the new games you play as you move on.

At the very least I hope they will be willing to check with the person on Ebon Hawk who already has the name so that I can make use of it if he or she doesn't mind parting with it. If not, perhaps they'll allow for some other alternative.

Offer him a hundred thousand credits. Works for me in business all the time. LOL.

Anyway, not much to offer beyond the fact that I also feel your pain. I'd have somewhat of an issue had I lost my in-game name, but its just a name after all, its just a game after all.

Have you considered alternate names. I used Shadowhawk for many years through UO, EQ, until I lost it to someone else in Wow. Made a new one and enjoy it even more.

Just a thought.

To those who just don't get my attachment to the name: That's okay, I realize that I'm a bit more character-centric than the average non-RP player. But for me, one of the reasons I like this game (and the Old Republic game series in general) is the serious investment in storytelling and character. These are the kind of things that draw me into a game. Bioware pulled up a chair, asked me to make a character with hopes and dreams, with fears and loves, and make him my very own. Now they're playing musical chairs and I'm not sure there'll be seats left for all of us when the game is done.

Having played many many years of RPGs I have no idea why you'd pick a generic name, invest all sorts of time into it and be surprised when its taken. IMHO, the difference between RP and writing is that RP should be flexible. But either way I just had to laugh when you wrote up all this stuff about your massive name investment then said your name was "KnightHawk". You may as well have said you spent tons of time on the intense character development towards the name 'Mike'.

Honestly, just change the name and roll with it. Improvising is what RP'ing is.

If a name in a video game means that much to you, you need to seek professional help.

This.

Seeing a lot of QQ on the forums over having to rename characters. It's not the end of the world, even if you're a hardcore RPer. Had you been more creative when coming up with your name in the first place, odds are very high that people wouldn't even have this issue.

I was fortunate enough in all of my transfers to only lose one name, and it was a name that I could adapt and still be acceptable for what it represents (it, combined with my legacy name, is an anagram of my own name, but rather than using the shortened form of my first name, I had to add the letters to use the full first, middle, and last name).

On the bright side, where I had to use an umlaut before, I was able to get the legacy name without resorting to expanded ascii.

Maybe the person that had the name on my origin server will come along and be upset about losing their legacy name, but they can feel free to use the umlaut that I dropped. :t_tongue:

As far as options on the name front, there aren't any already not suggested that come to mind.

If ascii is out, or hyphens, or apostrophes, then all you have left is hope, and maybe not much of that.

Choosing the name of a Marvel super-hero, though, is not a great name to pin all your hopes on.

Not only is it the name of a known character, but it is an easy variation of a well-known word.

Edited by Mithros

I too feel OP's pain.... im so hoping luka sene gets picked as a destination server...

Its the principle.. WHY should we lose our names and someone else doesnt...

Star trek online tied logins to a username, and the SHipnames where separate if memory serves... Just saying there are ways technically to have people with the same names on a server if the devs where so inclined.

My legacy was taken on luka sene, and out of protest i dont use the legacy name... All that work by devs to promote legacy names and i turn it off.. Just becuase i couldnt get my name i wanted... Not sure why we are so attached to names, but we are... and it sucks being forced to move by per pressure.

I lost 3 of 8 names on my transfer. One of which I have used in every MMO from Underlight on down to here. No big deal. It's just a name of a character. Got a free rename out of the deal, so it's all good. :)

That is true, you can even rename characters that aren't taken on the new server by just taking the name first on it so it prompts you when you transfer.

Well, okay, dcgregorya and TheronFett... I'm sure you guys are much better at coming up with original names than I am. But, as I mentioned in previous posts here, it's not really the originality of the name that has made me attached to it. It's got a personal meaning and it's one I've been using since I've been very young. So, yeah, it sounded a lot more creative back when I was younger and long before every other Darkhawk and Shadowhawk and BludWulfNightMoon was around. But even so, it's something that I feel a connection to and it feels unfair for me to have to give it up.

Mithros, I think you are slightly mistaken. There's a Marvel character called "Nighthawk" but not one called "KnightHawk." I know... hardly a big difference... but I really didn't know about the Marvel character when I started using KnightHawk. It is, of course, a version of a well-known word. That gives it recognizability that many other names lack. This, and the pun invovled, are part of why I stuck with it longer than a name like, say "Archenenud" or "Catavarnius" something else vague (but more unique).

RichyYoung, I agree that the way names have been handled here was a bad choice. I think, if I were to have designed the game, I would have certainly done it differently.

Perhaps a better plan would have been to have each player pick two legacy/last names (one Republic, one Empire) at sign-up (rather than having to race to level 30 to get the name you want) and have those names be consistant across servers. Then each individual (first) name would be limited to one per region per server type. So, for example, if someone picked "Aleta" on a West Coast PVE server, no other characters could be named Aleta on West Coast PVE servers (but could in other regions or other types of servers). Not only would this help with server merges, it would be handy for cross-server play (which we haven't seen yet, but might eventually). Not sure if this plan has any merit... it's just my first impression of a more sensible way to manage user/avatar names.

Anyway, I realize that it's not as big a deal to most people, but for me a name has meaning and importance, even if it seems a bit outdated or unoriginal to others. So I'd like to be able to stick with it, if I can manage it.

I'm suprised that Coppertard hasn't graced this thread with his theorycrafting on the matter.

OT: Mr. KnightHawk, I feel for ya man, I do. On my server, I attempted to use a name that I have used in other games as well, and I had to settle with a variance of it. I had the name in Beta, and when TOR went live, to keep it, I had to add a ' to a portion of it. However, my other names of which I have used as much as the one I had to modify were not used. Picking a popular name has its disadvantages.

I'm suprised that Coppertard hasn't graced this thread with his theorycrafting on the matter.

OT: Mr. KnightHawk, I feel for ya man, I do. On my server, I attempted to use a name that I have used in other games as well, and I had to settle with a variance of it. I had the name in Beta, and when TOR went live, to keep it, I had to add a ' to a portion of it. However, my other names of which I have used as much as the one I had to modify were not used. Picking a popular name has its disadvantages.

I'm waiting for SheldonCooperfield to start a new thread. :D

On topic:

OP, I hear ya and feel your pain somewhat. I've used one or two names since my first days in Underlight and EQ. This is honestly the first time I've ever lost them. However, there's no sense in me worrying about it. Stuff happens. I learned in EVE that nothing is that important in online games. :)

OP I sent you a private message but thought I'd post here as well in case you don't check it. I made a character on Ebon Hawk named CrimsonHawk. While it's not he same as your original name if you would like to have it just let me know and I will delete that character.

So, these are just bits of data on a sever somwhere, not real people. I get that. But I've invested a lot of time in creating my character (on a roleplay server) and part of who that character is, what makes him feel real to me, is his name. This name is important to me, as it's something personal that I've been using in other places for over two decades now. I'm not willing to change that name, and I made extra sure to buy the game as soon as possible so that I could reserve that name.

Did you ever think that maybe the other guy/girl feels the same way about that name? It is not their fault that you had the misfortune of a name change due to BW's miss handling of servers at the begining.

AzraelCales, I responded via PM.

Did you ever think that maybe the other guy/girl feels the same way about that name? It is not their fault that you had the misfortune of a name change due to BW's miss handling of servers at the begining.

Yes, I did consider that. That's why, instead of demanding that Bioware release the name to me, I asked to be put in touch with the player who has the name in use on that server so that I could ask if he or she wouldn't mind giving it up. I never insisted that he or she give it up, but rather tried to find out if the name had any importance to him or her. Given that he or she hasn't responded to my in-game e-mail as of yet, it's quite possible that the player just reserved the name with a level 1 character and hasn't logged in to check his/her mail. It's also possible that the name doesn't have any signifigance to the player, so I thought I'd ask.

Unfortunately, there's no direct way for me to get in touch with this player if he or she hasn't logged on to the account. The game never tells you if your alts have e-mail and there's no way to check and see which player owns which character. Nor is there any way to PM the player here on the forums without knowing his/her username.

To the other posters who feel my pain: Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate that others can see my point of view and am sorry that so many have had a bad experience with the transfers.

AzraelCales, I responded via PM.

Yes, I did consider that. That's why, instead of demanding that Bioware release the name to me, I asked to be put in touch with the player who has the name in use on that server so that I could ask if he or she wouldn't mind giving it up. I never insisted that he or she give it up, but rather tried to find out if the name had any importance to him or her. Given that he or she hasn't responded to my in-game e-mail as of yet, it's quite possible that the player just reserved the name with a level 1 character and hasn't logged in to check his/her mail. It's also possible that the name doesn't have any signifigance to the player, so I thought I'd ask.

Unfortunately, there's no direct way for me to get in touch with this player if he or she hasn't logged on to the account. The game never tells you if your alts have e-mail and there's no way to check and see which player owns which character. Nor is there any way to PM the player here on the forums without knowing his/her username.

To the other posters who feel my pain: Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate that others can see my point of view and am sorry that so many have had a bad experience with the transfers.

Sir, I respect you for not only handling this with style and class, but also for NOT being like SirCoppertard The Nublet. While your situations were similar, he went about it all wrong. Tbh, I'm pretty sure still that he was trolling, but oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Anyhow, I honestly hope you get your name back, or at least are able to talk to the person who has it. Fly safe, man. o7 :)