questions

Sofie_Fatale

Hello, I am returning and have a few probably stupid noob questions. I played Merc up to level 50 at launch and now that I am back I find its like completely useless pretty much. I am now playing a sorc and having fun in the arena. I don't really care about playing the pve aspect so I have just been leveling off the pvp XP.

that brings me to wondering about my gear. Since I am only level 37 and get the bolster buff in pvp does gear actually do anything or can I continue to just run around naked till 50 or will having good gear help me fight now?

Should I be doing class quests for some kind of rewards that give advantage in pvp that I might need later?

Gear is interesting for 10-49. While its true you could get by with wearing any crap you find while leveling you could go the extra mile and "twink" your gear with purple mods/enhancements/armorins and augment everything, but most people don't have the coin for that. Just try and keep your gear somewhat current and you will be fine.

Gear DOES help in pre-50 but it's not huge difference, I wouldn't go breaking your bank to get top-notch gear. I often run all my toons in blue modded gear and I'm pretty high-end in terms of stats etc in pre50.

I myself dislike PvE and I've got 10 characters level 40+ including several 50s, but I can safely say that if you just dig deep for patience and power through PvE quests it's much faster xp than PvP. That being said I do often wait till around level 45 and then just nonstop PvP to 50 so I've got plenty of commendations saved up upon hitting 50.

Instead of buying ranked commendations I buy the weapons for 900 commendations, and just keep selling them back and re-buying again before the 2 hour timer is up, so I can cash them all in when I hit 50 for normal comms.

Hello, I am returning and have a few probably stupid noob questions. I played Merc up to level 50 at launch and now that I am back I find its like completely useless pretty much. I am now playing a sorc and having fun in the arena. I don't really care about playing the pve aspect so I have just been leveling off the pvp XP.

that brings me to wondering about my gear. Since I am only level 37 and get the bolster buff in pvp does gear actually do anything or can I continue to just run around naked till 50 or will having good gear help me fight now?

Should I be doing class quests for some kind of rewards that give advantage in pvp that I might need later?

Currently gear matters a lot in lowbies. Might not be the same in 2.0

Get blue armorings if u can and blue saber hilts You will be facing people who spend a million creds sometimes, depending on your server, but the armorings within 5 or so levels (so you don't get hit like a truck) and saber hilts? You can do better then them cus they usually suck and that is WHY they "twink" in the first place.

Mod's/enhances are usually super cheap from planet vendors (2 coms each). I usually just buy the armorings/hilts off the GTN as long as they aren't expensive.

Gear DOES help in pre-50 but it's not huge difference,

this statement is patently false. you can create a gear differential in lowbie that far exceeds anything possible in 50s.

as cyaco said, you don't need to twink yourself out to be competitive. if you get a new set of gear every planet while leveling, you'll be fine (basically up to date-ish blues).