How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

PeepsMcJuggs

I don't know that this question has already been answered. But here's my situation: I downloaded xpadder as Freeware, I did get the most recent version (unless 5.7 isn't the most recent one) I set up a mapping profile which I really liked, but when I opened the launcher it didn't respond. They are both set to run as administrator on the same compatibility mode and it doesn't work. I couldn't get to the xpadder tutorial on their forums because I didn't buy it from them. Anybody have access to that tutorial so they can copy and paste it or any advice for how to get it to work? I'd really appreciate it!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that this question has already been answered. But here's my situation: I downloaded xpadder as Freeware, I did get the most recent version (unless 5.7 isn't the most recent one) I set up a mapping profile which I really liked, but when I opened the launcher it didn't respond. They are both set to run as administrator on the same compatibility mode and it doesn't work. I couldn't get to the xpadder tutorial on their forums because I didn't buy it from them. Anybody have access to that tutorial so they can copy and paste it or any advice for how to get it to work? I'd really appreciate it!

carryacross, Xpadder 5.7 is not the latest version. Also, the last version legitimately available as freeware is 5.3, so any copies of 5.7 you did not pay for are pirated (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you downloaded it from a non-torrent that appeared legit, as there are some out there). Try either downloading 5.3 or buying the latest version (for $10 you get free updates for life, plus access to the aforementioned forums, so it's a worthwhile investment).

Also, the tutorial can't be copy-pasted, as access to the tutorial is one of the perks of being a paid customer.

Hope that helps!

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

i put this in a diffrent post but it might be better here

dont know if this is the same kind of pad but when i tryed to use my PS3 pad i could never get the movement right, as in make the char move like you do in skyrim if i could do that i would use my pad all the time 24 buttons is plenty for me

left stick moves you around in any direction while the right stick moves the camera around i was hoping for something like click in the right stick to toggle between pointer and moving the camera

i put this in a diffrent post but it might be better here

dont know if this is the same kind of pad but when i tryed to use my PS3 pad i could never get the movement right, as in make the char move like you do in skyrim if i could do that i would use my pad all the time 24 buttons is plenty for me

left stick moves you around in any direction while the right stick moves the camera around i was hoping for something like click in the right stick to toggle between pointer and moving the camera

I have a couple of profiles that do exactly that. The Xpadder one (listed as ver 2b) is a bit dodgy, as the lock releases when you swap mappings, but the PGP one (listed under my current profile on the download page) works really well: http://swtorpeeps.blogspot.com/2012/01/downloadable-files.html

These profiles will likely require some remapping when you download them, but they'll show you how to get it working.

Also, JoystixPro's free SWTOR stix does this by default, but doesn't allow remapping of buttons. Their full version does, though.

Edit: I'm assuming you're using MiJ to connect your PS3 controller. If you use PGP, I highly recommend you use MiJ's 360 emulation profile. You won't be able to map your PS button, but it solves a lot of compatibility issues with PGP. Also, you have to use 360 emulation if you use JoystixPro.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

I have a couple of profiles that do exactly that. The Xpadder one (listed as ver 2b) is a bit dodgy, as the lock releases when you swap mappings, but the PGP one (listed under my current profile on the download page) works really well: http://swtorpeeps.blogspot.com/2012/01/downloadable-files.html

These profiles will likely require some remapping when you download them, but they'll show you how to get it working.

Also, JoystixPro's free SWTOR stix does this by default, but doesn't allow remapping of buttons. Their full version does, though.

thanks mate your a star o7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is an ancient thread of something I thought was new, but is actually very ancient. Its from a time before the age of f2p and merged servers. Before we were able to color coordinate, and even before anti-aliasing was enabled. Even the developer and the people of this thread are now gone, long before GSF, F2P and merged servers.

But it's about what so many people still talk about today. And that's gamepad support, especially for Galactic Startfighter. A major demand among players was joystick support for it. I was wondering if anyone tried using PGP for GSF and if it worked and how well?

I'm about to try it for GSF in a few. Though I just woke up and I really should do some Yoga/KungFu and drink some water/tea ... things you forget when gaming. So I'm not going to try that hard today, but I am going to try.

Anyways, I got two new dualshock gamepads from Fuhengji, a Chinese based company that makes gamepads for the PC. They're inspired from the playstation gamepads, except that these have two extra buttons on the right, so instead of 4 buttons usually labeled 1,2,3,4 it is now 6 buttons labeled 1,2,3,4,5,6. I bought them really cheap online.

I think two extra buttons makes all the difference. Because a bar has 12 hotkeys. I'm just thinking out loud here. The program hasn't been updated since 2012, which may mean either two things: It was so horrible and impossible that it was abandoned, or it worked so perfectly there was never a need to update it.

PeepsMcJuggs, the guy behind this, had kids and has now gone away, changing his name to SW_Dad. =( Hope he came back already. Countless people have come back.

I'll be back later and share if it worked with GSF and if it it worth it. Apologies in advanced for experimenting and potentially sucking for my team. Still, I'm a pretty good pilot though. Not the absolute best, but a pretty damn good one. Good enough to wing for Luke, that's for sure.

Edited by HiddenPalm

I prefer PC games because I'm terrible with a controller.

Youre absolutely, utterly, unquestionably and completely 100% on the wrong thread. Anyways, most PC games work with gamepads as most PC games are not RTS or MMOs. You cant be a real PC gamer without gamepads as a part of your gaming arsenal. Ok no more being off topic please. Start a new thread if you want to talk about a different subject, thank you.

For everyone else:

So I tried it. It doesnt work. On top of that its a trial, where you will have to pay after 20 days. And its no longer supported. So never mind. Sorry for bringing back this old archaic thread from the dead.

Here's my experience if you want to know more. During installation it went into a setup your profile walk through. It crashed. I tried the repair option to reinstall and it installed but it never got to the set up walk through again. I then went to the icon on the windows task bar and there was no option for that again. I was going to start the game to test it, but before I did I wanted to right click on the icon on the taskbar again, in case I missed something and now I get nothing. It doesnt work. And it was a complete waste of time.

Apologies for wasting folks time or getting peoples hopes up for gamepad/joystick support for GSF. It's not here. And if it is, I'm not about to waste another hour on it, let alone give them money for brokenware. If anyone else wants to break their heads on it, be my guest and I wish you better luck. If someone finds a bootleg torrent of it, I might give it another try. But not like this.

xpadder worked pretty well for GSF , all I had to do from ground game to flight was adjust the sensitivity and it works well , you might need to change it for the different ships though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

xpadder worked pretty well for GSF , all I had to do from ground game to flight was adjust the sensitivity and it works well , you might need to change it for the different ships though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

THANKS!!! I'll try that. Allot of people BEEN asking for gamepad/joystick support. I wonder if they know about this?

UPDATE: They are asking for $10. And the only option I see to pay is through paypal. I boycotted paypal long ago, as they started asking me for a picture ID, even though I never had problems with them for 9 years and even though I know of no one who was asked for a picture ID and even though they already have my credit card info and phone number. Even today two years later, they still refuse to close my account but they spam me all the time to remind me of the status of my now limited account. Actually its not even them, someone somehow found out I have a limited account on paypal and is trying to get my password. Why did paypal disclose that information and to whom, is beyond me. It's just very, very creepy, especially since I live in the US, which makes the situation all the more creepier. I'll never use paypal or any creepy service like them. I'll try to find a bootleg or an open source alternative. But thanks anyway.

The things we go through for this game. -_-

The forums at xpadder have been closed since 2011. Unclear as to when it was last updated or latest version. Cant communicate my problem on how to pay to the developer. And unclear as to why he closed the forums. But I found a bootleg copy on filestube. Will try that as it beats begging the developer to give him money, since I dont use paypal.

Also J2K is freeware. It doesnt appear to have the features of xpadder and pennacle, but I'll try that too. Actually since JoytoKey is Opensource, I'm going to try that first, I love opensource tech. And I'll even donate money to support them. And their last update was a year ago, which is more recent than the others.

If JoytoKey works with GSF, I'm going to tell everyone that plays SWTOR everywhere and even put their logo if they have one on my twitch page.

• 3 months later...
I use a 3Gc. how can I ge how can I get this to enter Facebook Star to enter face with Star Wars The Old Republic. the xpadder program does not work. I'm not really a keyboard player and im tired of doing it that way it's a real struggle

This is my first post so hey, everyone! I came across this because I am an avid console gamer and figured this game would be great for console playing. And I was right. It is. Anyhow, I came across this thread and I love it. Thank all of the people that have contributed to this thread, even if they never come across this I want to put it out there that I am very grateful for everything they did.

I wouldn't buy XPadder if it is no longer supported. Having said that, paying isn't the only option. Not that I would condone pirating someone's intellectual property, but if that property is no longer an actual product, I would consider it more of a grey area, though the law probably disagrees.

XPadder works. There is a previous version available for free (5.3 I think with 5.7 the paid version?) Just follow the plans laid forth in the OP. It affects windows, not SWTOR so they can update the game and it won't matter. I have 23 abilities mapped (Some of them for things like my speeder and quick travel), area map, targeting, conversation options, movement, and left and right click without ever swapping from one layout to another. I can't complain. Actually..... my only problem is the difference in movement and mouse control. If the mouse moves quickly across the screen, the character movement is uncontrollable. If the character movement is controllable, then I'm pretty sure a slug could beat the mouse across my screen. I have been practicing with a middle-ground, controlling my movement more precisely and tolerating a slow mouse. It keeps me fast while fighting, and I think that matters since targeting is controlled through hotkeys.

Tl:dr: XPadder still works. It's awesome. Anyone who thinks you can't be competitive with a controller is clearly misinformed. And there are others, and I'm sure they work as well.

• 4 months later...

Seems noone has posted here in a while i hope someone reads this lol.

Anyway or former console player here moving to pc because im obsessed with starwars (read mostly every book)

I like the idea of using a controller it feels smoother and is easier for me.

Im using a third party free program called joystix pro to use my logitec controller, everything is great on my PC but when i try to play on my laptop i cannot run joystixpro without totally binding up swtor game. It freezes and lags beyond comprehension. Yet if i disable joystix pro the game runs fine. Are there other programs? I dont know if xpadder will work on my logitec controller.

• 8 months later...
I glanced through the post but did not see anything about my specific question, if I missed it then please forgive me for asking again.

I just purchased a logitec F310, it came with its own software. Has anyone gotten this controller to work with SWTOR, and if so what software did you use. Logitech's or another generic mapping program?

I read the blog, and I think I have the logitech mapping sowtware running at admin level. I also checked to see that I have SWTOR running at admin level. Could not find any info about the F310 or its packaged mapping software anywhere in this thread or Peep's blog.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

edit: I think i fixed it, I had to select the SWTOR application deeper in the the bioware folder rather then the SWTOR launcher app. when creating my profile in the mapping software.

any info you can give me on this would be much appreciated!!!!

• 1 month later...

hey guys wasn't sure where to put this so I read a few threads on controllers here this seems to be the best place.

I have recently returned to the game in light of patch 4.0 and I was working on a controller scheme for the game right before I took a break. here is what I have using the program xpadder I was able to set up a pretty good( for me anyway ) setup for both combat and non- combat purposes . this is still a work in progress

(X-BOX 360 Controller)

Non-combat Mode

Left trigger - When held down switches lay out to combat. if tapped can be used as Right mouse button

Left bumper - cover (For smugglers/Agents only)

Right trigger - left mouse button

Right Bumper - right mouse button

select button - map

start button - main menu

X button - inventory

Y button - character sheet

B button - sheath weapon

A button - jump

Left Stick - W S A D Keys

L3 - target nearest Friendly

D-pad Left - 1

D-pad Up - 2

D-pad Right - 3

D-pad Down - 4

Right Stick - Mouse axis

R3 - Ctrl Key (set as a toggle)

I know it looks odd but let me explain The reason for the d-pad set too the first 4 hot key slots is so when you play the ship missions you can easily access your abilities in flight. Having the L3 button set to target nearest friendly is so it wouldn't fell off when you switch between Combat and Non-combat modes ( ill get to that in a min.).As for the left trigger its pretty simple when you want to just walk around the fleet and interact with the venders or loot something or mess with your inventory. Just don't use it and the controller will have the controller scheme as noted above. When you hold down the Left Trigger it will change your Controller scheme to combat mode as noted below(note you must keep it held down once released it returns the controller scheme to non-combat mode)

(X-BOX 360 Controller)

Combat mode

Left trigger - keep held down to stay in combat mode also will act as if your holding down the right mouse button as well

Left bumper - Shift (toggle) so you can switch between tool bar 1 and 2 must be pressed not held

Right trigger - 5

Right Bumper - 4

select button - 0

start button - ( - )

X button - 1

Y button - 2

B button - 3

A button - jump

Left Stick - W S A D Keys

L3 - target nearest Enemy

D-pad Left - 8

D-pad Up - 6

D-pad Right - 9

D-pad Down - 7

Right Stick - Mouse axis

R3 - ( = )

with the shift toggle (L1) you have to set the key bindings in game so that your tool bar 2 is bound for pressing shift+1- ( = ) on the tool bar. Where target nearest enemy (L3) that is what I was referring to early so you know in combat mode you can target the enemy but in non-combat mode you target freindlys that's mainly for healers though.

This should give you a total of 37 or so buttons for swtor with a 13 button controller. Two FULL tool bars to use and still be able to fly your ship missions and your everyday dealings with one profile for the xpadder 5.7

Here is the profile http://www.mediafire.com/download/a9tk92i9c7d2xmf/SWTOR.xpadderprofile

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone please post a link that shows how to do and XBOX ONE controller?

12.13.2011 , 11:02 PM | #1

REPORT POST QUOTE

Haters beware: this is NOT a debate thread. This thread is intended for instructional purposes ONLY for anyone interested in playing SWTOR using a video game controller. As verified by the moderators, discussions on the merits of controller use are off-topic, and will be flagged as such. If you feel the need to argue, please make your own thread.

During beta testing, a couple of us figured out how to use PS3/360 controllers to great effect in playing this game, but since it took a while to hammer out the process, we decided to share this info.

The pre-wipe thread on this topic quickly grew beyond its original parameters, so I''ve created a blog to better organize the instructions. I will be updating it as more info/suggestions become available: http://swtorpeeps.blogspot.com/

FAQ: "Why isn''t XXXXXX program working in SWTOR?!"

Answer

How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller:

I highly recommend you look into the PS3 or XBOX keypads. They're a major game-changer for controller use in an MMO.

PS3 Controller/Keypad Installation Instructions

XBOX 360 Controller/Chatpad Installation Instructions

XPadder Configuration and Sample SWTOR Mappings

Pinnacle Game Profiler Configuration and Mappings

Please continue to ask technical questions and comments in this thread, where the mods can keep it on-topic and constructive.

• 1 year later...