New player, help me to understand the current demand

I know that this might be not the best place to ask. But I don't want to post in general chat and get lots of joke answers. I am a long running MMO player who just started playing SWTOR. And by new I mean I have been around for a month or so I got lots of chars mixed between 20-50 but I can't seem to figure out what I really want to do and what I enjoy more.

So my question: Is there a big demand for Healers and tanks then DPS. Or are good dps are just as need as a healer or a tank?

I've healed before and dpsed, never tanked but I really like how juggs look in their armor and everything. But I'm just worried if I roll DPS I will have to wait a 20-40m Q for a flashpoint just like in wow and many others I've played. Sorry if it's a generic question but I'd really like to hear some folks proving their opinion on this topic.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me.

Edited by Tidox

"Good players" are on demand. Play what you enjoy and excel at. At the moment there isn't large demand gap between roles.

To answer your question, which role on slightly higher demand depends on what content, tier and stage. Also demand changes when the dev release new content that makes certain role more critical.

My very generalised view:

Healer seems to be on higher demand during levelling but less so at end game

Tank tends get the quickest pop for lv55 hm fps; healer not far worse; 15min wait for dps not uncommon

Good dps are on demand for Nightmare ops

Good tanks are on demand for ranked pvp

Demand from normal raiding guilds seem to be fairly balance across roles

Edited by Banegio

So my question: Is there a big demand for Healers and tanks then DPS. Or are good dps are just as need as a healer or a tank?

in a guild - it depends upon circumctances, but if you are a tank or a healer you can respec to DPS at any moment (better have proper gear also :-)

in PUGs - tanks and healers are on constant demand and instantly pop ups, DPS should wait a long

Tank or ranged dps (sniper). If you aren't experieced at tanking i wouldn't recommend that.

Why ? Do good tanks just spontaneously spawn out of thin air or they are made through practice and learning ?

Edited by wainot-keel

Why ? Do good tanks just spontaneously spawn out of thin air or they are made through practice and learning ?

Yes, all of us good tank have a god given gift, that's why nobody else can do it. :D;)

Now for real: Tanking is at least as easy as damage dealing and healing, I do recommend everyone to at least try it

Edited by Never_Hesitate

Yes, all of us good tank have a god given gift, that's why nobody else can do it. :D;)

Now for real: Tanking is at least as easy as damage dealing and healing, I do recommend everyone to at least try it

For me tanking is easier then DPSing, but I have more experience tanking.

Because it's easier to learn this game as a dps, than as a tank. Atleast thats my opinion, speaking from a bit of experience. I also have friends who have said exactly the same. I'm not saying tanking is a lot harder and you need some special talent in order to become a good tank, just that it's easier to learn the game from scratch, if you're a dps. My main and first character is a dps (marauder), and I feel it would've been a lot harder to learn the game (read: operations) if I would've started off as a tank. Atleast that was my thoughts when I started tanking on one of my alts. Thats why I recommended to start off as a dps, rather than as a tank.

Because it's easier to learn this game as a dps, than as a tank. Atleast thats my opinion, speaking from a bit of experience.

I think it depends really. A DPS can generally learn mechanics by watching as they progress through the content, slowly, over the course of a few attempts, but there's just some stuff that a DPS never really sees. A tank has to learn by just jumping in feet first and sees or is on the receiving end of pretty much everything. Some people learn easily by jumping in feet first and getting bombarded by a lot of stuff rather than having to take it slow and missing a lot of little things, like attack/damage types.

The more important aspect is actually in the general forgiveness of the community concerning someone *learning* the content. DPS generally get a lot of leeway because a bad DPS doesn't really screw a group over. Tanks generally get *very little* leeway because a bad tank will cause *lots* of problems. If you find a group with patience and that is willing to explain stuff, you can do very well as a new tank. If you *don't*, then you'll have a terrible time of things as you're routinely booted because people just don't want to deal with you at that moment (or ever).